Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think when this pandemic madness is over I'll replace my PC. It was the first I'd assembled for myself, based on the assistance I received in this thread. The advice was so good that not long after I made another one just like it for my elderly father to play Halflife 2 deathmatches.

The problems I encountered were a sketchy power button on the Corsair Obsidian 250d, a very tight fight against the top of the case for the video card, and the Seasonic power supply crapped out after three years.

I love this size and shape case but understand if a modern GPU requires something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm surprised and pleased that my six year old rig still runs well and was able to handle RDR2 at HD but I think it's time to move to newer technology. I would not want to buy all the bits and find out that I will have to wait ages before an appropriate video card is available.

My goal is to be able to run new, demanding games at high detail and high frame rates (at regular HD resolution) without my PC sounding like it's melting. I'm sticking with HD because I don't like LCDs much larger than 25", and higher res UIs are tough on my old eyes.

I like my case except that it has an awful, squishy power button that at times has made it impossible to turn my drat computer on. That said I'm willing to move up to a larger case to avoid restricting my video card choices, but would like to stick with something easy to assemble and maintain, no geegaws required.

My old build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Signature 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $295.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-04 11:56 EDT-0400