Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi Thread,

I am in the US building a new gaming PC. Someone helped me get this put together near the end of the last thread:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($471.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($233.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1120.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-13 13:48 EST-0500

I upgraded the CPU because I have more room in by budget; I already have my Hard Drive situation sorted so it is absent from that list. I have a few follow up questions, though:
1.) I have maybe another $200 in budget, should I upgrade the graphics card?
2.) There are a staggering number of cases to chose from. I would like a medium sized (easy enough to move if I want to go to the rare LAN but not too small, either) with no lighting on the outside. Anyone have any suggestions or know a good brand to look at?
3.) Do I need any more cooling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ItBreathes posted:

You've got the most powerful gaming CPU paired with a decidedly mid-range GPU. Use case is gaming, yes? What resolution/refresh rate is your monitor?
That is because I did some looking around and that CPU is on sale on Newegg and also Real Good so I upped it from a non-hyper threaded i7.
I have two Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch Infinity Edge Monitor - U2417H, Full HD 1920 X 1080 at 60 Hz. Prior feedback told me that these are not the best monitors for gaming, but I just got them recently and think they're great. I dont need ultramax settings on all my games, I care more about them running smoothly and being able to alt-tab out and not have the computer turn into a paper weight. I also would like the ability to run a game on one screen and occasionally stream a football game or something on the other, but if this is asking a lot of any computer and I'm just an idiot then I can stop trying to do both at the same time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow, I was not expecting so much feedback, thank you everyone! I obviously have no idea what I am doing so I really appreciate all of the info. I obviously have some thinking to do! I was planning on getting an intel because I have read that most games and applications are designed with intel hardware in mind, but if I can spend that much less and will not be able to tell the difference due to picking a bad monitor last year maybe I'll just save me some cash.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi Thread, I was posting about a new computer I am going to get for general gaming use around a month ago and kinda went back to the drawing board based on feedback I got here. I toned down what I am going to get and will be looking into getting a better monitor that has a higher refresh rate and all that jazz in the new year. For now I desperately need to replace my hardware due to age/dying integrated fans. With some help from a friend I have come up with this so far:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($111.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $755.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-13 10:12 EST-0500

I already have a 1tb M.2 SSD, that listed power supply due to a friend accidentally buying two, and the listed ram. I am looking for recommendations on a GPU to fit into this build, and any general feedback on the build itself if something stands out. Oh, and if it is recommended to buy better/more case fans.

edit: Also, a friend who recently built a new PC bought two Powercolor "Red Devil" Rx5700 AMD video cards that both went bad within a week, so I would like to make sure I avoid that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 13, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reposting for new page, mostly just looking for a GPU recommendation. I'm leaning https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...53&sr=8-1&th=1:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi Thread, I was posting about a new computer I am going to get for general gaming use around a month ago and kinda went back to the drawing board based on feedback I got here. I toned down what I am going to get and will be looking into getting a better monitor that has a higher refresh rate and all that jazz in the new year. For now I desperately need to replace my hardware due to age/dying integrated fans. With some help from a friend I have come up with this so far:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($111.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $755.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-13 10:12 EST-0500

I already have a 1tb M.2 SSD, that listed power supply due to a friend accidentally buying two, and the listed ram. I am looking for recommendations on a GPU to fit into this build, and any general feedback on the build itself if something stands out. Oh, and if it is recommended to buy better/more case fans.

edit: Also, a friend who recently built a new PC bought two Powercolor "Red Devil" Rx5700 AMD video cards that both went bad within a week, so I would like to make sure I avoid that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Stickman posted:

It really depends on the games you play, but if you like AAA titles with settings turned up and you're planning on upgrading to a 1440p/144Hz *sync monitor soonish, then a 5700 XT or 2070 Super is really the best option. Check out Babeltech's comprehensive benchmarks for the 1660/1660 Super/1660 Ti, 2060/5700/2060 Super, and 2070/5700 XT/2070 Super. Keep in mind that you can usually get a 10-15% performance boost going from Ultra to Very High, and 30-60% going down to High or Medium.

The Powercolor 5700 XTs generally have a good reputation - this is the first time I've heard of DoA issues. The Sapphire Pulse and Gigabyte Gaming are also good, though!

Now is a pretty good time to upgrade your monitor - there are a lot of good 1440p/144Hz gsync-compatible options in the $350-400 range. Just ask for recommendations in the Monitor Thread!
Awesome, thank you! I'll check those cards out when I am not in my phone but I wanted to mention that I tend to play strategy games/non-AAA titles, like Paradox games, Warhammer Total War 2, and 7Days2Die. Im less interested in ultra max settings and more interested in quick load times, smooth alt-tabbing and stability. Hence why the monitor is of secondary concern right now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AFStealth posted:

It's been posted before, but don't spend $110 on Windows 10. Buy from the SA Mart goon. I just spent $5 for a Win7 key from him and activated Win10 with it no problem.
Good point. Having read the OP of that thread I am willing to spend $5 on a win7 key to try it. $5 is below my fuckit threshold so why the gently caress not. Thank you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey Thread, any reason I would not want to get a 2060 Super XC in place of a 2060 Super SC? I can get the X for less on Newegg because its on sale and has a rebate available but I have no idea what the differences between the cards/designations is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NickBlasta posted:

The XC just has a bit higher overclock, 15mhz on the core. I imagine they bin the same. No reason to buy the SC
Sweet! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm going to be putting my new computer together later this week. I have an odd question about how I should install windows...
I have a 256mb SSD that I have had for 5 years with my current desktop that I will be bringing over to the new computer.
I also have a 1tb M.2 SSD that I just bought.
I am planning on installing all my games on the 1tb M.2 drive. Would it make any difference what-so-ever in terms of smoothness when alt-tabbing or multi-tasking if I have the OS and other non-games installed on the 256?

I also have a 2tb standard HD that I have for data storage (old pictures, music, and that kind of stuff) but I doubt that this will make any difference.