Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I've been following through this thread and I kinda have some ideas, but wanted to get some input.

What country are you in?
US

What are you using the system for?
I'm an architect working mainly in AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, and SketchUp. I do a lot of image and drawing editing editing in Photoshop and Illustrator, assembling presentations in InDesign. I do some visualization work in V-Ray for Rhino, but have been thinking about switching to 3DS Max for the texture mapping and rendering portion. Typical workflow is having CAD or BIS open drawing or modeling and having a billion Chrome tabs, PDFs, and Excel spreadsheets open for reference material. I'm a hobbyist photographer so there's more PS and Lightroom use for that. I hate lag so I'd love model scrolling to be as seamless as possible.

I dabble a bit in gaming. I'm mostly interested in things like Cyberpunk, Witcher, other RPGs, and maybe some emulators. I don't really care about 144hz and crazy FPS. I'd like games to look good and not noticeably lag. My plan is to get a 27" 4k UHD 60Hz monitor.

What's your budget?
$1,500-ish for motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, SSD? I have a case I'd like to use and storage drives.

Looking at Puget Systems and other benchmark sites, they seem to all recommend AMD Threadripper or high end Intel and workstation GPUs, but I don't have that kind of money. I get that most of these application are all single core/single threaded so I should really look for higher base clock speeds. I was thinking a 5800X would be enough, since single core performance seems to be similar to the 5900X, and the $100 could go toward the GPU. I think 32GB RAM would probably be fine. Shoudl I got for 3400 or 3600? I'm not sure about the GPU, it needs to be Nvidia at least to take advantage of GPU rendering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Golbez posted:

OK took some of your thoughts under advisement, and here we are. I want a big case because after growing up with cramped desktops and minitowers, I fell in love with the notion of just having room. Also I neglected to share that I'm running a half dozen hard drives of varying types and sizes, which raises both PSU and space requirements.

This was me in 2008. I have big hands so I wanted a big case that was easy to build and tinker in, so I bought a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. I think at the time it was also one of the top cases for airflow.

I loved it at the time, but after moving a few times I realized it was way too big and way too heavy. It wouldn't fit under my desk and could never be tucked up against a wall neatly.

I finally got fed up enough and downsized to a mid and I couldn't be happier.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Doccykins posted:

try not to be sick

This is for the FE models and what the AIBs should have started at. I think the AIBs from the get go ranged from +$30 to $100 or more.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Same thing happened to me. I went to Michaels and bought some adhesive backed black felt. It was like $2 bucks for the sheet.

I cut a bunch of 1/2" by 1/4" strips and attached them around the the left, top, and right sides of the case where the glass rests against the case. The glass has a black backing so you won't see the felt. I also added some smaller prices over the little plastic clips that hold the bottom of the glass panel in place too.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
$1,500 over what MSRP should be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm surprised and pleased that my six year old rig still runs well and was able to handle RDR2 at HD but I think it's time to move to newer technology. I would not want to buy all the bits and find out that I will have to wait ages before an appropriate video card is available.

My goal is to be able to run new, demanding games at high detail and high frame rates (at regular HD resolution) without my PC sounding like it's melting. I'm sticking with HD because I don't like LCDs much larger than 25", and higher res UIs are tough on my old eyes.

I like my case except that it has an awful, squishy power button that at times has made it impossible to turn my drat computer on. That said I'm willing to move up to a larger case to avoid restricting my video card choices, but would like to stick with something easy to assemble and maintain, no geegaws required.

My old build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Signature 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $295.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-04 11:56 EDT-0400

A 5600x shouldn't be hard to get if you have a Micro Center near by, and you can pair that with a motherboard from them to save $20. Getting 16GB of DDR4-3600 RAM will be plenty.

Are you looking to stay small form factor?

What refresh rate is your current monitor? Are you ok with 60Hz? Or are you trying to get up to 144Hz? Although, for the foreseeable future, it might be better just to stick with your 970.

Also, if you ever end up building a new PC, I may be interested in your old motherboard if you'd be looking to sell. I have a 4770k that wanna build a NAS around and would like to make it as small as possible.