Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Firebatgyro posted:

My current PC is ancient and dying so buying everything from scratch. Are there any decent (for gaming) GPUs out there that don't require paying 3x MSRP or spending a week waiting in line (1-2 gens old is fine)? Or is getting a pre-built just an actual thing in 2021?

Check Micro Center if you live near one. I waited overnight to get a 3090, but besides that, they had 2070s and 1660 Supers just sitting on the shelf for MSRP. They're only letting people buy a single GPU once every 30 days, and enforcing it. I saw a dude get turned away because they saw him sub somebody in for him to try to get around it. So they really are your best option to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Sanity check:. I can get an msi rx 6700-xt for $800. I have a 1070, would I be a dumb gently caress to buy a 6700xt when I've never really dabbled in the AMD environment?

So I got a MSI 6700XT 12GB at the beginning of April, but was able to return it this week and get a 3090 instead. About $750-$800 is MSRP on those right now, and it appeared to be a solid card. I wouldn't expect to do 4k gaming on it, but it should handle 16:9 1440p pretty well. I don't have any super brand new games, but I was able to max out graphics on everything I do have at 1200p without issue. Unless you're dead set on getting something better, and paying more as a result, that's going to be a reasonable price right now.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Joiny posted:

I have 2 microcenters near me and I think a 3070 will be good enough if I don't find a 3080. I'll probably be able to get one in the next 6 months if I keep discord camping... maybe

You're still going to have to camp out. I camped out at one of the Micro Centers in the Atlanta area and was able to score a 3090. But there were about 9 people in front of me by the time I got there around 6:30pm and anyone that showed up around midnight or later didn't get anything.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Joiny posted:

I'm on the unofficial discord and I probably won't have to camp for a 3070, but for a 3080 ya.

They only had ten 3070s and eight 3090s in the shipment I camped out for. Unless that unofficial discord has employees setting aside cards in secret, you'll have to camp for a 3070. I have seen 6700XTs sitting on the shelf though. But all the 30 series nvidia cards have been by voucher almost exclusively for at least the last month. Granted, four 3090s were left over, but only because of the high price. They also had seven Red Devil Ultimate 6900XTs sitting on the shelf. Because nobody thought $2500 was reasonable for any 6900.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So I recently upgraded from a 6700XT to a 3090. And I just found out about people having issues with the 3090 and Seasonic PSUs. Spec as follows:

• Asus ROG Strix B550-E Motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 5800x
  • 32GB (2x 16) G.Skill Trident Z
  • 2TB 970 Evo Plus SSD
  • Seasonic Focus GX 850
  • EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra

EVGA recommends an 850W PSU for the 3090. But will I be subject to trips at full load with only the 850? I am using 3 separate cables going to the card and not using the extra 8-pin on any of the 3 cables.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Yeah. I definitely plan on getting a beefier PSU if I do any overclocking in the future. But for now I I was just going to run stock frequencies and voltage. Thanks.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Also, mid to high range air is almost always better than mid range AIO. You have to spend stupid amounts of money to get an AIO that competes with the D15, and it’ll likely be louder and loving huge.

The 5800x runs loving hot. I know mine does. I recommend spending the money and getting an AIO. At least 280mm or 360mm.

Although after my next paycheck, I may just go full water cooling, now that I also have a 3090. Would you guys recommend 2x 280mm or 2x 360mm radiators. If I can get away with 280mm rads, I can put an optical drive in (don't ask, I have my reasons). Otherwise I have to settle for an external drive.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yeah it runs hot, but I’ve never seen my 5800X go above 75 C with a Noctua DH15 and good case airflow

I had a DH15S (only one fan) and mine was idling at 50 C. I will admit that the thermal paste application may have been sub par and put a bubble in there. But I just said gently caress it and replaced it with the AIO because the DH15 is ugly as gently caress, and looked out of place in my build. And now my temps are good.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I got a 5800x because they had it in stock at Micro Center. Honestly a 5600 would probably have done me fine. So if you find one in stock (I don't think they're usually too hard to find) that's probably a good choice for you.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

32GB of 3600 CL16 for only a bit more.
https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32...-174-_-05152021

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Killer_B posted:

Granted, it was years ago, and possibly an isolated anecdotal experience - I had a couple of Ballistix DDR2 units go bad, even though they never got overclocked or stressed...I remember RMA was a royal pain and kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Has Crucial's reliability with Ballistix DDR4 units gotten better since then?

Apologies for any derails.

No clue. I'm personally running 32GB of 3600 G.Skill Trident Z. I was just matching the RAM they had in their PC Part Picker build with 3600 vice 3200.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Probably integrated graphics at that price point. Which to be fair are way better than they were 10 years ago. But the market is stupid right now due to shortages caused by a 1-2 punch of Covid and the Crypto bubble.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So I have:

I need to route cables about 15-20 ft from the back of the computer to the inputs to the speaker system. My options are 3x 3.5mm audio cables, of which the ones included with the speakers are not long enough. Or optical audio cable. However, the motherboard does not have an optical audio out. Are there any decent sound cards that have optical out? Sound Blasters look to me like most of the price goes into marketing, but if they're actually good, I'm willing to get one.

Are there any decent sound cards out there or would it be better to just go 3x 3.5mm cables? Not looking for the cheapest option necessarily. Just the better one.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Yeah. Looking for gaming and not so much the movie watching. Thanks for the advice.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

mynnna posted:

Slightly "I feel like I should know the answer to this" question - I can just take the secondary HD from my old system and stick it into the new system and have it work, right? The new computer won't just go "what the gently caress is all this data?"

If it's the boot drive from the old system, you may want to pop into the BIOS and verify boot load order, to ensure you're booting from the new drive and not the one from the old computer. Otherwise 0 issues with putting it in tye new system.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

DoctorTristan posted:

I lurk this thread to keep up with hardware trends and I like how it’s pivoted to hardware-themed shitposting now that it’s literally impossible to build a pc anymore.

Not impossible. You just have to live within 200 miles of a Micro Center and be willing to make the drive. But if you don't live within driving distance of one, then yeah it's pretty much impossible.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Latency is why multiplayer gaming over wifi bites, but, barring maybe a whole ax setup, download speeds are severely impacted by wifi. The QoL of a hardwired connection (and powerline counts here too, it's better than wifi even if not as good as direct) is huge if you download files of any size.

Microcenter doesn't have any GPUs either, unless you camp out each morning to see if they restock that day. They did have a $1500 6700XT a couple weeks ago, but I didn't see it when I went back this past week.

They had a whole shelf filled with 2060s and 1660 Supers when I camped out for my 3090. I mean, walking in and them having them is very luck of the draw, but they are your best bet to actually get something. I've also seen like 5 6700xt's on their shelf for $750. So it's still not guaranteed but not impossible, due to them actually enforcing they one per household every 30 days.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

I was really disappointed in my friends new 4k monitor, it's so small that you get no benefit from the resolution unless your nose is to the screen. 4k is basically a waste of money unless the screen is 40'' or more.

LG makes G-Sync compatible OLED TVs. My 55" is loving amazing.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
That's a tough budget in this market. Do you or a friend have any old GPUs laying around that you can test to eliminate the graphics card? Can you run any stress tests for specific components to see if one of those exposes the culprit? Like maybe a specific component is overheating under load? Have you tried a fresh install of windows?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
90 fans on the bottom. How did they fit that many into such a small area?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So realistically speaking, would this be an alright case for airflow if they had managed to fit 2x 120mm fans at the bottom? Instead of a single 90mm.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I have the opposite problem where they immediately tell me it has shipped and the only update is shipping label created, awaiting item. And it stays like that for like a full day on 2 day delivery.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Copper Vein posted:

The PSU was way overbuilt when I got it, it's a 1000w Seasonic SS-1000XP. I did look into if the new mobo uses a different power connecter than my old mobo, and they look the same, except the new B550 mobo uses an extra 4pin connection that I'm pretty sure my PSU has.

The extra 4 pin is just a second CPU power plug that you may or may not need to plug in (you probably won't need to with a 5600x). But it doesn't hurt to plug it in regardless. Check the manual of course. But I'm pretty sure my B550-E said the extra 4 pin wasn't required for most situations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
The Asus Ryujin AIOs also have a fan on the water block to cool the components around it. In my opinion it looks better, but is also stupidly overpriced.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

PC Building Megathread - Don't

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I actually just had that issue with my motherboard. Asus B550-E. It was the weirdest thing, because windows had basic drivers for the wifi, but not the ethernet.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I 3D printed a stand for mine. If you don't care about aesthetics, I'd just get something to prop it up that is stable enough to not work it's way into the fans. No need to buy a bracket if you can find something around the house.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

South posted:

Ok, stupid question. I bought a Phanteks Neon rgb strip https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-neledkt-m1-rgb/p/N82E16811984032. It's a 3 pin 5V but my ASUS motherboard only has 4 pin 12v connections, and stupid me thought it would connect to my Phanteks case. What's the best way to connect the LED strip? I bought a Phanteks adapter but it has the wrong connections(all 4 pin).

What motherboard do you have? My Asus board has both.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

They have these at the Microcenter I'm at right now.

Is that the Duluth Micro Center? They got around 8 of them in before I went to pick up my 3090. I went back a month later and they still had about 4 of them. The were originally like $2500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
That's why they sat on the shelf so long. No 6900 is worth that.