Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I managed to pick up a 5600x and figured it was time to build a new PC, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a definitive answer on which parts to go for, especially the motherboard. I use my PC for gaming, hooked up to my TV typically running at 1440p with G-sync, and photo and 4k video editing, and I'm looking at a budget of around $1300 for now as I'm reusing my RTX 2060, and plan to upgrade to a 30 series whenever I can get my hands on one.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WM8Wwz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $299.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: B550 something???
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1024.90

The memory is also a bit confusing, the last time I built a computer I just slapped in the fastest ram my motherboard supported and called it a day, but after I picked out the above RAM I started reading about the Infinity Fabric and my head started to spin. Should I go with lower speed memory, or is this a lot more straightforward than it seems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Thanks for the advice! I took a trip to Micro Center and grabbed the rest of the parts, just finished building and it doesn't seem like anything's fried!

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I built my PC a few months back with the help of the thread, and I've got an issue maybe you all can help with. It seems like my motherboard might not be detecting my M2 SSD... sometimes? The system posts, but maybe a third to half the time Windows just won't load. It usually fixes itself with a power cycle, but I've gotten sick of turning on my computer and sitting down on the couch only to realize Windows didn't load up. Motherboard is a MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI, SSD is a Samsung 980 PRO.