Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey thread, I'm working on a parts list for updating my gaming PC. It's a fairly budget focused build that I've had for 7 years now so is not only a bit creaky but is having some issues. Here's the list of bits I've picked out so far with a few notes, I already have the case, SATA SSD and power supply (my old one was having major issues so I've already replaced that this year) and am not planning on getting any new graphics card until at least April so the 2060 there is something of a placeholder since I have no issues with my current 1060 and am waiting on any potential 3060 card. The main thing I'm curious about is the difference between the motherboard in there and the B550 Tomohawk. From my reading they seem fairly equivalent with the Pro being £30 cheaper and having 2 extra USB ports (very useful to me as someone who uses a lot of ports) but I don't know if there's some additional technical stuff differentiating them that I haven't noticed.

In terms of use I'm currently using a 1080p 60hz monitor but am looking at going up to a 1440p monitor in the new year. Budget wise I want to keep the remaining parts I don't have under £500 if possible.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£179.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler (£22.94 @ Box Limited)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£129.98 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£59.95 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£50.39 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£96.41 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card (£304.40 @ Alza)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case (£57.97 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£69.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £970.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-28 21:18 GMT+0000

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Everything I've been told about 1080p (as I run the same thing with no plans to go to 1440p any time soon) is either stick with the 1060 which is still fine or get a 2060 when/if the prices start to come down if you're really after ray tracing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

What do people think of Be Quiet PSUs? Not that I case about quietness, I am just after a cheapish PSU that I won't be scared of using, and there's a unit available that suits my needs while being a bit cheaper than the other options I like.

They seem pretty well regarded given their entire thing is being quiet so I see them used a lot in video editing builds. I've yet to use anything from them that's bad though, I use their case fans in my current case and it's super nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So I'm getting close to having the money to upgrade the CPU (a now 7 year old AMD 6300-FX) in my PC and I'm starting to look at how prices for stuff is moving and it's making me think twice about the Ryzen 5 3600 I had planned to put in it with how cheap some of the Intel i5's have gotten in comparison. So my main question is for 1080p and VR stuff on the gaming side and some occasional video editing, am I likely to notice a difference if I go with an i5 10400F instead of the Ryzen? The i5 is about £50 cheaper right now (and the equivalent motherboard to my planned Ryzen one another £10 cheaper) and that would make room in the budget either for faster RAM or a bigger SSD. This is being paired to a GTX 1060 GPU incidentally because I'm not going anywhere near the GPU market right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Assuming you mean 1080p60 (the gpu is more likely the limiting factor on the vr side) it's completely irrelevant, both can do it handily. You need to be pushing over 100fps to see any differences between current CPUs. Do note though that you need a Z-series board from Intel to use fast ram.

Yeah I mean 1080p60 and the motherboard I'm looking at is a MSI Z490, though I'm more likely to stick to the planned 3600 RAM and spend the money on a bigger SSD, then my headset is an Oculus Quest 2 so I'm have no reason to be pushing over 90fps anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Check on making that RAM into 3600, i bought parts for my upgrade yesterday and 3600 RAM was actually cheaper than 3200.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I forgot to confirm my CPU cooler order when buying all my parts :negative:

There's not going to be any issue with just using the stock cooler for a few days while waiting for the actual cooler right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

It'll work fine, although replacing a cooler is the faffiest part of doing any upgrades by far because you've got to deal with thermal paste. You'll probably want to clean the thermal paste off your CPU from the stock cooler (don't be a huge idiot like me and take the CPU out to do this. Just leave it in the socket), wait for it to dry, reapply paste, put the new cooler in. You might find it easier to take the motherboard out entirely to do this. If you're anything like me, your hands and clothes will be covered in thermal paste by the end.

Fair enough, the motherboard hasn't shipped yet so best case scenario I don't have to worry about this and they both show up the same day anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

At least most of it isn't visible branding once it's actually slotted in. I got Vengeance RAM for my upgrade and it's just plain black on top. Sadly not a patch visually on the blue and white HyperX sticks I've had for the last 5 years though. Noctua stuff I just can't ever get over how Brown they are.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

At least it's still the case that RGB enabled components cost more so you save money by not giving a poo poo about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

From what I've seen, there's not a massive difference. The main point is that AMD stuff and motherboards tend to be cheaper than the Intel equivalent.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally got all my parts in and built, I forgot how tiring this was. Also I made about a dozen various mistakes like mounting the CPU cooler fan the wrong way round because it's been too long since I last built a system.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

I'd forgotten what a pain in the rear end those clips that hold the fan onto the cooler can be when you forget how they're supposed to be attached, but then how great they are once you figure it out.

This was literally 15 minutes of fiddling since the cooler instructions were zero help in figuring it out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

From only outside watching, Ryzen was the game changer for AMD. They fixed their power draw problems that the FX series had (always said to be faster than Intel and cheaper initially, but more expensive in the long run). I remember there being some caution about going all in on recommending the 1st gen Ryzens but once the 2nd gen hit I saw everyone kinda accept that it was for real.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sankis posted:

I know back in... 2012 or so when SSDs were just starting to pick up steam as a consumer product you basically never wanted to buy anything that wasn't from a big brand like Samsung, Intel, etc. Is that still the case? I'm curious because I found this 2TB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0896SKCDY?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 for $30 less than the WD 2tb. It looks to have good reviews too. Either way, I'm still undecided on this particular upgrade yet.

I'm of the opinion that you don't take risks with your storage, and people who follow SSDs seem to still be of the opinion that if it's not WD, Crucial or Samsung it's not worth the risk. Also the SSD you linked isn't cheaper than the WD one right now, it's actually $15 more expensive.

Then for me there's still the sticking point with 2TB NVMe drives that they're still more than double the price of 1TB ones.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the answer to the webcam thing if you're really on sound quality is spend the money on a decent mic and get a mount for your phone then use that instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A large cheap SSD isn't really a thing yet, since there's no real price difference between NVMe and SATA SSDs yet. A 2TB SSD will still run you over $200. I think replace the boot drive with an NVMe SSD and keep the 2TB HDD for now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Is it noticeably different from just a regular SSD?

Going from mechanical to any SSD was already mind-blowing. From what I gathered, NVME was a negligible upgrade. But if it's worthwhile, I'll tack it on my next build.

An NVMe is massively faster than a SATA SSD. I think the transfer rate of data from an NVMe is around 400mbps compared to 6mbps over SATA.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The question is always do I need this now. If your current GPU is doing the job (and I think the 970 is still a perfectly good card) then I'd wait at least 3-6 months to see if the crypto bubble pops. Like I want to upgrade my 1060 but it's still perfectly usable for now so I'm not going to go super crazy trying to get a 3060.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

New Meshify c case is announced. Sounds good, haven’t had a chance to watch yet.

https://youtu.be/94l1c5dMRX8

General conclusion was it's a very good case with some really annoying bits like the PSU shroud is super cramped.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Is thermal paste....thermal paste? Like is there lovely thermal paste or is it all about the same?

For the most part, and a lot of coolers outside the super high end stuff tends to have thermal paste pre-applied (which if you're like me you will inevitably touch wondering why the bottom bit is all grey), the cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 3600 certainly does and is fine enough for most people. The one thing I'd say is from what you've said there's not really much need to get a Z570 motherboard, unless you really need the USB 3.2 ports you'd save a fair bit of money with a B550 board.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's also about $100 cheaper, and Intel chipset motherboards tend to be more expensive as well. That's why people keep bringing up price/performance with Ryzen vs Intel, yes Intel may be slightly better in some cases but not so much that it's worth the increased price.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

vandalism posted:

Supposedly RTX 3060 released just a few days ago with an msrp of $329... and yeah I don't think I'd find it at that price level. Thank you for the awesome input, you are making it dangerously viable for me to pull the trigger here.

Edit: I am willing and able to wait for the TI to come out, too.

Good news! The 3060Ti already came out and you can't buy that either. If you still have the 1060 knocking about then just toss that in the machine, it's still the most popular card on Steam for a reason (and what I'm still using) and it'll be perfectly fine until humans can buy video cards again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I get rid of the boxes but have a drawer full of the booklets and boxes of bits in case I need a screw or cable or stupidly thin cable tie at any point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

crepeface posted:

Edit: Are the Radeon cards not worth looking at all? The main benefit of a modern nvidia card is ray tracing, right? What if I'm willing to forgo RTX?
If you don’t care about ray tracing then Radeons hold their own pretty decently against GeForces these days. They’re generally slightly cheaper than their Nvidia equivalent but no easier to find sadly. They can do ray tracing as well but AMD doesn’t yet have the software tricks to help performance that Nvidia does.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm currently toying with the idea of going in for a VR headset so I can play flight simulators like DCS in VR. Specifically considering an HP Reverb G2. My current rig is i7 8700K and i think that's fine for the task, but I'm wondering if replacing the 1080 Ti is something I should consider or considering the prices of cards at the moment should I settle for what I have for the time being?

Outside of VR the computer is still handling everything I've thrown at it so I think if the 1080Ti can drive the Reverb G2 reliably then I don't feel that inclined to update.

My 1060 handles every VR game I've thrown at it no problem. A 1080Ti will handle pretty much anything that's out there right now just fine.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

What are you planning on using a PC for that you need a Ryzen 9 and 3090?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

orange juche posted:

dunno if he's put out something regarding the 11600k yet

No, the embargo for reviews on the 11 series is the end of the month, but since GN and a few other places like Anandtech bought the 11700 at retail it’s fair game for them to review since if people can buy it you have to review it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah every old computer project I see that needs an IDE cable uses those these days unless the person has a bunch of standard ribbons knocking about.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is there a site that will let you estimate the wattage of a power supply + safety margin a given build will need? I have a pre-built on the way (16Gb RAM 650W non-modular PS) that I’m also doing fine (barely) to buy 16gigs more RAM and $300 left over to get a “better” PS if needed. I hope to not need it, but want to go ahead and fix it up before I stick the tower behind the monitors and forget about it.

Also, is there anything that could damage physical components from being underpowered? I know you can damage parts from a surge in power, but is anything gonna happen and need to add a “stronger” PS?

Plug all your bits into PC Part Picker and it'll spit out a wattage number. Add on 100-200w as a buffer and go with that. 650W will be just fine for most things right now though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're building a media PC of some kind right now you really need to be using it as a Plex or Kodi server in my opinion for it to be worth it over a Roku. If you're just going to be using it for Netflix and Youtube and the like then it's just not worth the price.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You could also just get a Raspberry Pi and hook it up to your TV, I use that for Legally Questionable Streams and it works great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finally, the soft disk drive...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DerekSmartymans posted:

I know I could ask Google, but just for gaming:

1) Can you overclock an Intel chip these days? Used to only be possible easier with AMD.

2) What is better, non-extreme overclocking or setting up Turbo in BIOS as to performance vs risk of physically damaging a CPU?

3) Which GPU is better (by any factor) for AAA gaming plus WoW and modded Skyrim, a 3060ti or 3070? Why?

Again, I really learn more from Goons of ALL hobbies because we can interact and answer in very specific situations instead of a Google result that may be three years old. I also soon may “inherent” a 50” TV with an HDMI hookup that isn’t new enough tech for a display port (LCD LED flat panel). I’ll use it as a monitor from 3.5’-4’ away for gaming at 120MHz 4K. I don’t understand monitor/TV tech and have read the entire monitor/display thread. Will a stock 3070 drive this at a >60 frame rate? I’m still reading the other thread and have “caught up” to Dec 2020 so don’t want to ask if the topic is answered like four posts above🥸.

1) Intel CPUs need a K in their name to be overclocked, so the 11600K can be OC'd, the 11400 can't.

3) GPU's functionally don't exist, but if they did the 3070 is better than the 3060Ti. Neither will do 4k60fps, for that you're going to need something like a 3080/90 and even that isn't going to consistently drive 4k at full framerates.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

loopsheloop posted:

I want a little emulator box plugged into the TV to play PS1 and earlier stuff. Budget around $200. Would Raspberry Pi work for this? Any other suggestions? I don't mind building something if it'll work better in the long run.

A Pi 3 or 4 will work perfectly, there's really no reason to get anything bigger if you just want an emulator box unless you're getting into PS2 and higher stuff. Get a Pi 4, nice case and maybe the case fan since it can run hot with some 3D emulation and you'll be fine. If you want more in-depth stuff go ask in the Raspberry Pi thread.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're gaming then yeah, the 5600x is gonna do just fine especially on 1080p. The cooler is also super overkill, I use a bequiet Pure Rock in my PC (an R5 3600) and it's perfectly fine. Dark Rock stuff I've seen put on Threadrippers so it'd be completely unnecessary for a regular Ryzen. I'd also drop the X570 board in favour of a nice B550, unless you're going hard on overclocking or need shitloads of USB ports I don't think there's really any reason to get X570 for a gaming build.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

20GB of ram?

I haven't kept on top of the vr market for a couple years now, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help there, but the resolution and refresh rate of the headset you choose is going to set a performance floor on your hardware. I think the main vr thread is in Games.

It's worth noting that a 970 was the minimum spec for the original Oculus Rift, with resolutions having gotten way bigger since then you're probably going to be better off either focusing on a GPU upgrade (lol) or spending the cash on an Oculus Quest 2 to do standalone VR, of course the Quest comes with issues of its own as the VR thread OP implies.

quote:

There is nothing more versatile, affordable or polished on the market. It's a remarkable piece of hardware with abs̷o̴l̵ų̶͊t̶̻̍ẻ̵̡l̸ŷ̵̥ n̵̘͐̚ỏ̶̻ ̶dr̶̳̜̀̀a̴̟̙͓̒w̸̓̾̈́̎̕͜͝b̴̛̆͝͝a̶͋̓͝c̴̡̹̙̮͌̎̅̓k̴̈s̷.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it’s a sad thing to always have to say but Quest 2 is the best headset for price/performance and Facebook are also the only ones throwing cash around to get games made. The next best is the HP Reverb G2 but the Windows Mixed Reality controllers suck and it’s effectively a $300 “No Zuck” tax. I’ve had a Facebook account for over a decade so it wasn’t a thing for me but I totally get why it gives people pause if they aren’t already signed up there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

16 is generally the sweet spot but more ram is never a bad thing. Over 32gb though gets into overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah my 3600 runs basically those exact temps, if you're having issues it's probably not related to heat.