Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I'm building up a new system based on a B550M motherboard/6700xt combo I "won" on newegg. I'm coming from an i7-7700k on a z170. If I want a reasonable upgrade from the 7700k, which Ryzen should I be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

5600x most likely. That’s the pretty standard answer.

If you’re playing at 1440p+ you can get away with a 3600/3700x, but frankly at MSRP 5600x is a much better deal.

I'm being cheap, so I'm keeping my 1080p monitors right now. If 5600x is the sweet spot, I'll start shopping. Thank you.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Is Chia destroying the storage market yet? All your hardware will eventually scalped to mine crypto.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Alucard posted:

So I learned of a new wrinkle in my GPU escapades - the 3080 I ordered is a 2.5 slot and that will likely obscure my internal wifi pcie slot. Is it likely that an extender cable would solve my problem, or should I just get myself a USB wifi adapter?

In hindsight I should have either gone with a prefab this time around or bought the GPU first and built around that instead...

USB wifi adapters blow. I ended up setting up a Google wifi mesh network and plugging an ethernet cable into one of the pucks

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

change my name posted:

Everyone's joking but just do this. For some reason these little nodes that spy on you are the best wifi extenders I've ever used.

Also, related, just swapped out my PCIe wifi card to Wifi 6 and it rules, my speeds are so much better even without a Wifi 6 wireless router?

They're fantastic if you can handle the cost, having almost no control over the settings, and being part of Google's panopticon (not that everything else in your life isn't already spying on you).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

ChocNitty posted:

Just got an off the shelf gaming PC. I did the 3dmark benchmark test. I’m about 10% below the average score among those who have the same specs. Or at least the same cpu/gpu/ram. Is that normal? I’m hoping i’m a little below average because a lot of people using benchmarks are overclocking or tweaking settings.

Yeah, delete their bullshit and start with a fresh windows install. Also install something like cpuid and make sure everything is running at the proper speed.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Is your memory running at top speed? You may need to go into the bios and force the xmp profile.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I finally got around to building my new system around a 5600x after the thread's suggestions. But the damned thing wouldn't boot, and I tried everything including tearing it apart and putting the old motherboard/cpu back into it in order to make a windows recovery usb. Twice. Much late-night swearing ensued.

After some googling, I noticed that I had forgotten to update the new motherboard's bios so that it was compatible with Vermeer CPUs.

What I'm saying is that I'm a moron and you should learn from my mistakes.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

LifeSunDeath posted:

Omg, I wanted to buy a pretty cheap mobo initially but then I read that in order to get the new gen CPU I was also getting to work with them, it would require that I install a last gen chip, get into bios, flash bios, then put the new chip in. Ended up getting a Z590 board.

Fwiw, my Asrock motherboard was able to boot into the bios and flash the update with the incompatible CPU installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Those WD Blue NVMe SSDs are nice, I've used them in two builds. Also, I've been wrestling micro-ATX cases for years, so that one looks fine.