Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Krazyface posted:

I'm midway through upgrading my PC; I've picked a new graphics card, and I'm looking for a new CPU that won't bottleneck it too badly. This is for gaming; while I'm not going past 1080p and 60fps for the moment, I really want to be able to turn things up. I'm in Australia, so everything sucks and is expensive; I'm willing to spend up to $500ish. What's my best option? I'd prefer not to replace the motherboard, but that's negotiable. Full details here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YGVNq3
As discussed on this page, graphical options and resolution will rarely cause you CPU issues.
Are you having issues?
Your options are a 6700k, or a 7700k. See what your used prices look like in your area.
You can't overclock either, but you need the k-chip for the base frequency jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just pick one known to work well in mint/linux (check their forums), and get that one.
It's nearly always an intel chipset you want on linux.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

There's plenty of examples of all of those selling on eBay Canada from about 40CAD upwards.
If you specifically want smaller than ATX, you might struggle more.