Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Noticed a lot of questions about upgrading power supplies. This should handle anything you throw at it.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-ga-220-ga-0850-x1-850w/p/1HU-00J7-004V4

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA, 80 Plus Gold 850W

$120 after discount and mail in rebate.

It's sold and shipped by Newegg, not a 3rd party, which should make it easier if you have any issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

South
Apr 9, 2001

KS posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($800)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler ($90)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($400)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($299)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 520 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($320)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($140)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($230)

Video card is existing and I think I'll hold out for a generation. Rest is on order but not shipped yet/cancelable and I'm still hunting a CPU. I may end up with a 5600x to avoid feeding the scalpers, but the plan is to go ultra high end to replace my 8-year-old 4790k build.

Case was really frustrating for me. I want front USB-C for sure. I'd prefer it actually be on the front rather than the top like the Meshify 2. The Meshify 2 feels too big -- I really want an updated Meshify C with USB-C. I was also considering the O11 Dynamic but I know I need to switch coolers.

My priority is silence over budget and aside from turning on PBO and XMP I don't really plan on OCing. Any suggestion/critique or cases I'm missing?

It's a little late but you might check out the Phanteks 600. Its a pretty quiet hybrid case with removable panels to increase air flow when needed.
https://www.newegg.com/black-phante...&quicklink=true

South
Apr 9, 2001

How accurate is microcenters website for specific stores? There is a store 2 hours away that says it has 3060tis in stock but only for in store purchase. I don’t want to make the drive if they don’t have the card.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Steve Jorbs posted:

Supply shortages and crypto mining incentivizing bots and scalpers to snag up all available stock. RTX 3060 is dropping tomorrow if you care to get in on it.

How does one go about doing that? Keep refreshing Amazon and NewEgg or will they be in store at BestBuy and Micro Center? I don't follow drops, I just check the local Best Buy and Micro Center websites every day to see if they get anything in stock.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Should I have my wife hang out at BestBuy till it opens at 11am? Legit asking. The only time I've waited outside a store on launch day was the SNES launch a few years ago.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Over the last few months I've been buying parts for a new build as they have gone on sale. Now I'm down to the parts that are nearly impossible to get.

My time between new builds has consistently been seven years. So I don't mind buying a little more RAM or a better CPU.
Current build
i5-4690K on an ASRock motherboard with 16 gb of DDR and an EVGA 1070.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Mostly gaming, light 3d modeling for 3d printing, and also some video editing for the wife's Instagram.
Budget Don't really have one. Wife and I are planning to start a family so this is going to have to last me for at least seven years with maybe a GPU upgrade.

Parts I've already bought.
Case Phanteks P600S $145(on sale)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1MBZ1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32gb 3600 CL 16 $210 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083VN3CP1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SSD SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus 2TB $240(on sale) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFZXR1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 GA $120(after mail in rebate) https://www.newegg.com/evga-superno...004V4-_-Product
Monitor Nixeus EDG 27 https://www.newegg.com/black-nixeus-nx-edg27-v2-27/p/3D4-000B-00003?Item=3D4-000B-00003

Parts I need.
Mother board Looking at the Asus B550-F WiFi https://www.microcenter.com/product/624592/asus-b550-f-rog-strix-gaming-(wifi)-amd-am4-atx-motherboard and the MSI MPG Gaming Carbon WiFi https://www.microcenter.com/product/625912/msi-b550-mpg-gaming-carbon-wifi-amd-am4-atx-motherboard
Is it better to get wifi built in or just buy an aftermarket card? Both boards have 2 NVMe slots, does it matter which one my SSD is plugged into? I plan to get a Gen 4 NVMe when prices become reasonable.
CPU I want a 5900x but the only thing available is the 5600x. I'm thinking of getting a 5600x for now and then a 5900x when stock become available.
GPU Just going to carryover my 1070 till I can get a 3070 or 3080.
CPU Cooler Can't decide between the Noctua D15 or the Noctua U12. I know the 12 is ok for the 5600x but how about the 5900x

Just making sure I'm not missing anything.

South fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 26, 2021

South
Apr 9, 2001

Vir posted:

The only real difference is how much space it takes up. A built-in WiFi card can literally be the exact same controller as on a plug-in card, only that it's hard-wired to the board. The CPU and OS doesn't see any difference. The advantage to a card without a WiFi module is a slight cost saving and perhaps an extra M.2 or PCIe slot, maybe. Also some WiFi controllers double as the Bluetooth controller.

Yes, it matters. On B550 boards, only one of the NVMe slots will support PCIe v4: The one which comes directly from the CPU rather than the chipset. There's no point in v4 right now, but when v4 cards become cheaper and games actually take advantage of direct SSD-to-GPU loading, it'll be easier for you if you leave the v4 M.2 slot empty for now.

e: sorry for the double-post

Cool, I just wanted to make sure that the boot drive didn't have to be in a specific position on the board. Thanks for the info.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Is a Noctua NH-U12s enough to cool an AMD 5900x or should I just get the NH-D15?

South
Apr 9, 2001

Finally got my 5900x tonight.

The Micro Center in St. Louis(Brentwood) has 10+ AMD 5900x's left in stock. They will probably be gone sometime tomorrow.

South
Apr 9, 2001

In the process of building my system.

My motherboard has 2 slots for nvme drives, a pcie 3 and a pcie 4. My ssd is a pcie 3. Does it matter which slot I use? I would like to keep the pcie 4 slot open for when/if I ever get a pcie 4 ssd.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Helter Skelter posted:

No, not particularly. In theory, by using the 3.0 slot you're sharing bandwidth with anything else hanging off the chipset (the 4.0 slot is wired direct to the CPU), but you'd be hard-pressed to notice anything unless you're using an extremely high performance drive while also stressing the system in some very unnatural ways and looking for the (likely microscopic) difference.

Cool, thanks. Nothing else will be on that since I'm not carrying over any of my old drives.

South
Apr 9, 2001

If I pull my 1070 out of my current pc to put in my new build, do I have to do anything special to use the integrated graphics on the 4690k?

South
Apr 9, 2001

Quick question.

Finished my build. Everything works great except the Ethernet on my motherboard. I can only connect to the internet using the wifi. Did I miss something in the bios? I'm using an ASUS b550 F wifi.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Do I have to install Armory Crate(ASUS motherboard) to adjust my fans and RGB or is there a recommended non bloatware program to use.?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Did you install the Ethernet driver from ASUS’s site?

It finally worked the third time I installed the drivers. Weird that the WiFi worked right off the bat, but I had to install drivers for the ethernet.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Copper Vein posted:

Is Bluetooth support built in standard with current wifi 6 adapters? Or included with Intel's ax200 and the like?

I definitely want Bluetooth and wifi built into my next motherboard, and I was having trouble determining if Bluetooth was a standard feature in motherboards these days.

I was looking at the Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WI-FI primarily.

The ASUS B550 ROG Strix F with wifi has bluetooth built in, but it is $30 more.

South
Apr 9, 2001

My parts before the build a few weeks ago. Not pictured is the EVGA 1070 that pulled from my old pc. I'll post the final build after I clean off my desk and do some cable management.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

South
Apr 9, 2001

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-F...Y2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

This is what I have. It's well made and sounds great when recording. The build quality feels much better than the $80+ Razer Seiren mic that my parents got me this last Christmas(I returned it for a gift card).

South
Apr 9, 2001

Ok, stupid question. I bought a Phanteks Neon rgb strip https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-neledkt-m1-rgb/p/N82E16811984032. It's a 3 pin 5V but my ASUS motherboard only has 4 pin 12v connections, and stupid me thought it would connect to my Phanteks case. What's the best way to connect the LED strip? I bought a Phanteks adapter but it has the wrong connections(all 4 pin).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

South
Apr 9, 2001

MonkeyFit posted:

What motherboard do you have? My Asus board has both.

Yup, after checking the manual again the ADD Gen 2 Header is what I was looking for, I had been trying to figure out how to connect it to RGB_Headers 1 or 2. Like I said, stupid question.

Thanks for the help, I was going crazy trying to figure it out.