Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Stickman posted:

That's the one, whoops! If you definitely want to stick to taller cases, you might also like the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, Thermaltake Core X71, or Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 (you'd want to remove on door on that one).

I have the Enthoo Pro and I really, really like it. I was surprised at how big it was compared to my previous Antec, but it's been a real breeze to work on/with and is available with no bullshit windows and LEDs which is harder to find. Just a heads up some of my front ports didnt work out of the box (2-3 of a 1-2-3-4 layout which is bizarre) and they sent me a new USB assembly and I've been too lazy to install it since i never plug in much anyway. The process was not the easiest but also not the hardest via email. They first tried to claim that my purchase from the "Zac Efron store" was not eligible for service, but I bought from Amazon, not the star of High School Musical, so not sure. I just replied "The Actor??" with a picture from HSM and they approved my claim.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

You might have purchased from a third party but was shipped from Amazon. They do that a lot and try to hide it. Zac efron store is a really good name.

Oh yeah but this was sold and shipped by Amazon. I did go check it out though, it's a real amazon store! I'm not sure... it has any relation to the real Zac. All's good though, it was just a bit of engrish back and forth, a little less automated than some of the really big manufacturers.

Overall very happy with the case, tons of room and I am _not_ a cable management guy but this build looks super clean. poo poo happens but I cannot see ever really needing to rebuy a case unless I have super specific needs. I'm an ATX convert after seeing how much easier it is to route cables/air.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Huge_Midget posted:

On the topic of cases, is there a go to full tower case that comes with at least six 3.5” HDD bays and a modern front I/O panel with USB Type C? It will be an air cooled setup, and if it had a 5.25” external bay that would be icing on the cake, but not necessary.

It's this: https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-define-r6-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352089 or one of Fractal's similar but slightly different models (not really sure what the full difference is)

https://www.newegg.com/black-white-phanteks-eclipse-p400s-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811854054 if you want to save money and punt on the 5.25"

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 13, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That is because I did some looking around and that CPU is on sale on Newegg and also Real Good so I upped it from a non-hyper threaded i7.
I have two Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch Infinity Edge Monitor - U2417H, Full HD 1920 X 1080 at 60 Hz. Prior feedback told me that these are not the best monitors for gaming, but I just got them recently and think they're great. I dont need ultramax settings on all my games, I care more about them running smoothly and being able to alt-tab out and not have the computer turn into a paper weight. I also would like the ability to run a game on one screen and occasionally stream a football game or something on the other, but if this is asking a lot of any computer and I'm just an idiot then I can stop trying to do both at the same time.

I'd recommend the following given today's prices and changes:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194, Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Not Needed
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($145, Newegg, $30 MIR)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($65, Newegg, just $10 cheaper)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card ($330, Newegg, $30 MIR)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.98 @ Newegg)

This is $820! plus $60 in mail in rebates if those are your thing [i didnt factor them into the cost], add the $100 if you buy Windows 10 outright and don't buy a Win7 key for whatever they cost in SA mart. Cheaper and a much better distribution of money.

If you want to save even more drop back down to the 1660 Super which takes you down to $720 out of pocket.

edit: It's my completely personal opinion that given you are way way under budget that springing for the 3600 right now is beneficial. There's some benefits out of the gate and if you do upgrade your monitor (the most likely upgrade in this setup, once you try high refresh its hard to go back) you won't need to buy an entirely new CPU and hope to sell the quickly depreciating old one.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 13, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

They don't sell well, since they came to you for free you could probably move them quickly for $250ea on ebay, maybe $200 and roll that into a 2060 Super or something if you need that much power, or a 1660super if you dont. If selling them isn't seen as rude, I realize not every gift comes without expectations, or the person might want to sell them if you aren't using them.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The x-factor that's working against him here is the fact that they've got waterblocks on them. If they still had the stock HSF on them, I could see them being desirable for someone wanting to do low-end ML applications and not spend a small fortune doing it. But with those EKWB blocks on them (which likely are specially tailored to the Titan Z), you've just turned something simple into a complex thing someone has to work around. A 'cheap' card just became more expensive because you have to then buy a new cooling apparatus for it.

If you itemize on your taxes, get in contact with your nearest 'tech-forward' college and see if they'll take them in as a donation.

oh this is totally right, i spaced when pricing the cards. they do move (or at least did in sept, but two months is a long time!) but with the stock HSF. woof, yeah this is way more trouble than its worth.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

For the OP I realize that PCPartPicker does not hit every retailer, every deal, every card but their filters are really second to none in these types of comparisons. I think building some PCPartPicker lists that use parametric selections to automatically show the cheapest 1TB SSD per GB, currently cheapest video card in a category that may have multiple options that make more/less sense based on price will help keep things neater. Prices seem to change day by day (especially around the holidays) and that changes what tier poo poo is in really quick.

If you are in this thread you should probably be buying from the big retailers anyway with known support/return policies but the usual disclaimers about Microcenter, ask if you have any questions before jumping on a short term deal etc:

Stickman posted:

Thanks for writing all this great stuff out! At the beginning where you talk about asking the thread, I'd mention that prices change and there are a lot of interchangeable parts, so there's a good chance that asking will shave a bit of the cost the build. I'd also mention the motherboard/cpu combo deals at Microcenter for US folks.

the somethingawful experts hard at work saving you money on your gaming/hentai rig:

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 14, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

FWIW my friend/coworker has almost that same setup except with a larger primary SSD and he uses it for Twitch streaming - a lightish weight game but he has received no negative feedback about stream quality. There's still a lot of life left in that system.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Hell yeah, Microcenter owns. I clicked your post history to see which build you were and saw you sold the game it came with too which is a great idea.

Ryzen 5 2600 + ASRock B450 PRO4 AM4 ATX + $50 16GB Newegg RAM at Microcenter is loving :eyepop: right now $215 + tax for the guts of a new system ($225 without a rebate). You could do a 1600 for under $200 after tax.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

AMD RX 5700 would be the best choice in the ~$325-350 price range. Prices will likely shift over a few months, but the 5700 tends to equal or best the 2060 Super @ 1440p and is cheaper. The 2060 Super is a weird card, you are probably better served saving up $90 more for a 2070 Super or sticking with the 5700 for $300-350 depending on sales & rebates. If the 2060 Super drops in price or something you really wouldn't be poorly served by either card.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 15, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Incessant Excess posted:

I wanna upgrade my living room PC as the CPU isn't great for modern games and the PSU doesn't allow for high-end GPUs. It being an ITX case means that if I want to upgrade the CPU and PSU I need to disassemble the entire thing, so I figure I may as well upgrade the rest since it's the same amount of work.

I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to put the old components of my living room PC into my even older Desktop, get another two or three years out of them that way. I don't do all that much on my Desktop but I do notice things sometimes taking a bit when I have a lot of tabs and applications open. The idea is to basically take the MB+CPU+RAM+GPU+SSD from the living room PC and put it in the Desktop, something I'm hopefully able to do without also having to take the entire desktop apart. A fools errand?

Toss your existing Desktop From 2012 on Craigslist for $100-150 and see if it sells (it should at that price). Use that money to buy a new ITX case and power supply, which are the only parts you otherwise aren't moving over. Don't spend time disassembling or frankensteining either. Move the Living Room PC to be the new Desktop From 2015 and build a New Living Room PC (2019/20)

edit: drat you!!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Action-Bastard posted:

Hey gang, plotting a build I'll probably do early next year. A friend who knows a little more about computers than I suggested I do a clean install of windows on my next system, prior my plan was to just pop in my same old SSD and go.

I actually disagree and think this will work OK. You are keeping the same GPU and drive. I won't go as far to say I recommend it, but I suspect it will turn out just fine if you do it and are comfortable dealing with any trouble that arises.

Windows 10 is very robust, and I've done more jarring shell swaps than this. Let me ask the question at the heart of your question: What's your concern with reinstalling? Licensed software you can't re-install? Just don't want to waste the time? You only have one drive and don't want to format? Maybe we can help there.

Ragingsheep posted:

Would a 5700 be sufficient in playing new games at high/ultra settings at 60fps at 1080p for the next 9 to 12 months (or whenever the 3070/3080 Ampere cards are supposed to come out)?

Yes most definitely, it's a hilarious amount of overkill. Are you buying one or hoping to flip, or you have one and are hoping to hang on to it? Because as a short term option it's way overkill, if you're buying new I would just plan to use it for years.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

orange juche posted:

There is wiggle room in this build, can save around 50 bucks stepping down to a B450 Tomahawk board, but you'd probably have to swap the memory out for 3200mhz as well, as the motherboard probably doesn't list a speed high enough to take advantage of that 3600mhz memory. The CPU cooler is not required, as the packaged cooler is perfectly fine for stock clocks, and mild overclocking, but that Dark Rock 4 runs 10 Celsius cooler than the stock one because it's bigger, so the aftermarket cooler is entirely optional.

There's a few dollars to save here without the compromise because of microcenter. You can get the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 for $95 after Rebate with the bundle price there :eyepop: And it's totally up to him, Microcenter also sells the Inland Profesional non m2 1TB SSD for $80, so just over $100 savings - totally his preference on that. And the processor is like $5 less, but Amazon is getting aggressive with matching.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/508183/inland-professional-1tb-ssd-3d-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive (80)
https://www.microcenter.com/product/608721/asrock-x570-phantom-gaming-4-am4-atx-amd-motherboard (95 after rebate)
https://www.microcenter.com/product/608320/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36ghz-6-core-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-stealth-cooler (190)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Good news! I just missed this at Microcenter:
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 AMD Motherboard
https://www.microcenter.com/product/608747/msi-mpg-x570-gaming-plus-atx-am4-amd-motherboard
$162.99 After Rebate
Save $30 when bundled with a compatible eligible processor
=$133

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 16, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, another question. I'm seeing some deals at microcenter for motherboard + processor combos. Is it worth the extra $30 to move up to a Ryzen 7 2700x from the Ryzen 5 2600 bundle?

Keep in mind that the bundles aren't set in stone. You could save $10 with this board: https://www.microcenter.com/product/510207/gigabyte-b450-aorus-m-am4-matx-amd-motherboard which also supports DDR4-2933 natively (and 3200 if overclocked). You just get $30 off if you add it to your cart with the right processor.

I doubt you'll really see the difference between the two processors, on the other hand $20 is like lunch with a soda these days so go nuts, youre certainly not going to regret the 2700x.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 18, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

What are people doing for storage these days? My last build started as a 500GB SSD for the OS and a few games and a 2TB HD for big storage. I know SSDs have become massively more affordable, and I recently picked up a new 1TB SSD that I might port over into my new build. Is there any reason not to just run pure SSD setups now that the drives are pretty cheap? If I grab another 1TB drive 2TB of storage probably should be enough.

There's no benefit to storing media on an SSD if you aren't doing something further with the media, and further in this case likely means "professional." If you think games are going to end up on the spinning drive as an overflow then yes, it makes sense to keep every "application" on an SSD. Though outside of a few blips they've done nothing but get cheaper, so it's never a terrible idea to just buy it when you're ready. 1TB for $80 is the sweet spot right now I think.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's by far the best *value* at the moment. Micro Center's selling the 2700X for $160 at the moment, before the $30 bundle discount (which usually ends up being ~$15 after tax). $160 for a respectable 8/16 CPU.

Tack on the fact that any AM4 board will also be able to drop in a Zen 3 processor in the future gives you an easy upgrade path to a 12-16 core CPU...if/when that *ever* becomes worthwhile to have.

It's $260 CAD which sucks, it's more than just the exchange rate price increase. Same price as the 3600.

All from Newegg.ca, Oxyclean could do:

AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000031BOX Desktop Processor ($260)
MSI X570-A PRO Motherboard AMD AM4 SATA 6Gb/s M.2 USB 3.2 Gen 2 HDMI ATX ($199)
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-16GVKC ($93)
CORSAIR VS Series, VS550, 550 Watt (550W), Active PFC, 80 PLUS White Certified Power Supply ($65-$15 MIR)

If you don't need a case, SSD, or Video Card you could get out the door for about $650 shipped. Case I dunno add $75 roughly. SSD is $110 for 1TB in Canada, so definitely under $1000 no matter what.

You could go with the 2700x for the exact same price but I probably wouldn't for basic gaming, and save a few bucks by going with the B450 Tomahawk Max for $150.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 18, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

whydirt posted:

I'm looking to replace a 6 year old Lenovo Thinkcentre with a new desktop for general use and casual gaming. I'm a full-time stay-at-home dad, so I figured building my new machine would save a few bucks or at least give me a project that's not just wrangling a toddler. This is my first time building a PC from scratch.

I'm assuming I'll need a new copy of Windows. There's no way to re-use the OS license from the Lenovo in the new machine, correct?

I'll take as much advice and hand-holding you all are willing to offer. I'm happy to wait and do Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping if that'll bump up the performance I can buy or save me some cash. Thanks!

This is under $800 with all promos and rebates, and there are savings to be had if this is too much money, but this is a really nice system that makes no compromises for what you want it to do.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $117.68 (Amazon)
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 (Amazon)
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $60.99 (Newegg)
Team L5 LITE 3D 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $82.99 (Amazon)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super OC 6G Graphics Card $239.99 (Amazon)
Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 (Amazon)
Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $75 (Newegg)

Case is very much up to you, read up on the OP and if you have specific questions/ports/needs/form factor let us know.

quote:

I'm assuming I'll need a new copy of Windows. There's no way to re-use the OS license from the Lenovo in the new machine, correct?

What kind of license is it? If it's a Windows 7 license you can likely re-install Windows 7 and use it, then upgrade to Windows 10 for free. But there is a goon selling Windows 10 keys in SA mart for $20 and you should probably just do that.

vvv---cool it's even easier than I thought, so the answer is probably "yes" somehow.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 19, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

whydirt posted:

A case that intended to lay horizontal instead of vertical would be nice due to the layout of my desk. Something matte black to match the aesthetics of the existing Lenovo equipment would also be a plus, but certainly not a dealbreaker. I can’t see needing any special/extra ports beyond the standard stuff to connect the keyboard, display, etc.

Thanks for the parts list!

Is your existing PC a small form factor Lenovo, or is it just a standard size "mid tower" with a different orientation/layout? That matters quite a bit - the board recommended is a full size ATX board, but you'd want to switch to microATX, and very possibly a special "mini" version of the GPU.

If it's a small form factor prebuilt you may be even further limited. There aren't a lot of graphics card options that will fit in if the entire PC is about the same size as a PS4, but all hope isn't totally lost, there are small case options!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Edit: double phone post

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 19, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

whydirt posted:

Maybe I didn’t explain myself very well or maybe I don’t understand your post here! I don’t need to reuse the existing case in any way or specifically match its size (it is a midsized tower). I would just prefer the outside of the new case to have a similar matte black finish to the Lenovo keyboard and mouse, or least have a style the doesn’t clash horrendously.

I have the current Lenovo laying flat so we can keep our scanner/printer combo on top of it, so being able to do that with the new machine would be nice, but not a dealbreaker.

Phew, for a second I got the vibe that your pre-bought Lenovo was a small-form-factor. There used to be (not amazing, but better) some options in the SFF gaming space. There still are some, but they are at the low end, or you pay a stupid premium for something resembling a good video card, or paying a crazy premium for an ITX setup etc.

What about this case? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cTQypg/corsair-case-200r No USB-C on the front but otherwise pretty plain.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 20, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Checked the max TDP of the 5700 on a datasheet and saw it's 180W. If it doesn't hit that, okay, but that's what I saw.

I know the XT's TDP is over 200W so it seemed plausible.

That's actually low: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-4.html

Power consumption jumps a bit under FurMark. However, our 182W average is still lower than AMD’s 185W board power specification.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

whydirt posted:

I'm shopping for the list that charity rereg made for me and the graphics card seems to be on back order on Amazon, assuming I found the right item. Is this what I should be looking at (see link)?

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...74209409&sr=8-4

If so, is there an alternative on Amazon/Newegg I could order sooner?

edit: also having trouble finding the power supply on Newegg that matches the price/description from charity rereg's list.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm650x-2018-cp-9020178-na-650w/p/N82E16817139232

The 1660 Super is a great price and they've been going in/out of stock all day :(

This one is in stock https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1660-super-06g-p4-1066-kr/p/N82E16814487478

This one too https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AS-D166S6E&c=CJ&cjevent=9a3a7b090b2f11ea825c057d0a24060c

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 20, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

whydirt posted:

Just noticed the absence of a network adapter; is that something I need to add?

Nope, the motherboard has built in 10/100/1000 Ethernet, but does not have WiFi, so you would need to add a small USB adapter if you want.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

The USB adapters apparently suck. You can get a good wifi/bt pcie card for around $30. I opted to just buy a mobo with wifi built in.

Yeah if you're building the PC you should go "native", but tbh can't say I've ever really had trouble with the adapters. My wife's laptop's wifi is broken and she's used the same $14 tiny amazon one for years.

Where my gaming pc is now it was a really huge pain to wire for ethernet, so I tried literally every other solution including built in motherboard wifi - didn't find it any better, still got slight packet loss that made gaming impossible.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

BexGu posted:

If I have a 2k Monitor I'm pretty much going to have to go for a GTX RTX 2000 series or can something like the GTX 1660 Super series handle it fairly well?

Assuming you're targeting something resembling normal performance: 1440p @ 60hz, or 1440p @ FreeSync/Gsync and aren't insane about graphics settings then your best options are: AMD RX 5700, RTX 2060, RTX 2060 Super.

Right now a 2060 is $320 after coupons and rebates
A 5700 is $340
2060 Super $380

The 2060 is a tough recommend at price parity with the 5700, but the 5700 does draw a bit more power, and the 2600 is flirting with $20-30 lower which makes it somewhat attractive again.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Harminoff posted:

A college near me is having a technology surplus sale tomorrow and I think I'm going to stop. Anything that I should look for? Are the desktops usually good enough that throwing in a video card/more ram will allow for light gaming? (Mainly Sims 4)

Not sure if specs across colleges are pretty standard and there is something good to find/avoid?

For reference, this is what they have.
Complete PC Systems (monitor, keyboard, mouse, imaged PC and cables) - $94.70
PC Laptops - $75.83
PC Desktop - $47.39
All Mac Devices - $104.27
Projectors - $94.79
Miscellaneous Devices - $4.74 per item
Unknown Devices - $9.48
Hard Drives - $4.74
Monitors - $23.70
Cameras - $4.74
Cables/RAM - $1

The power supply is often the limitation, but most business PCs will take the small 1060. It chugs at some point on any system, but my wife plays it for hours on a Intel Core i5-3427U/Intel HD Graphics 4000 laptop. Some of them may come with video cards, it's hit and miss but very likely these cards stink and use regular old DDR3 RAM instead of GDDR5, which is much faster. They'll still probably play the Sims - you can tell which ones have cards in them because there's video ports away from the main cluster of motherboard ports.

Any Dell's original configuration can be looked up with the Service Tag at support.dell.com, Lenovo from support.lenovo.com/us/en/warrantylookup, HP at https://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

Almost any business line mini tower will take one of the 1650 mini cards despite what the power supply says. Any small form factor is capped out at the SFF 1050ti. SSDs are dirt cheap and will make any of these machines snappy if they're 2013 or newer.

Look for anything with an i5 or i7. You want the newest quad core you can get. The most RAM, but RAM is cheap so if you can't assess don't go nuts but Sims 4 loves RAM. Sims plays alright on a good HDD but you will want to pick up a dirt cheap SSD this black friday if there isn't one. Anything "Pro" or dell "precision" or that says "xeon" was probably a workstation or server and is likely to be a good get.

Some of the older Quadro and FirePro and (if you get lucky) Radeon Pro cards are still worth money on ebay. A

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/959319/ultra-setting-players-what-do-you-play-on The 1060 or 1650 will be perfect for it, it doesn't take too much to play Sims on ultra.

There are some schools that are way behind on tech and just getting rid of Optiplex 760s now (I am getting rid of a pile of 1st and 2nd gen i5 980/990 models myself) but hard to believe there isn't a good Sims PC in here if they're working.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 21, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Incessant Excess posted:

I've made a similar post not too long ago but my build has changed slightly and I'm now about to actually put orders for stuff in.
It's to be a gaming PC to go under my TV in a horizontal orientation. Here are the components I selected and my reasoning behind them, any feedback would be much appreciated:

I'm assuming the answer is yes but if the TV is anything other than 4k or you don't plan on playing at 4k the 2080ti is absolutely overkill. Getting a 2080ti and planning for multiple GPU upgrades isn't necessarily something I think is happening in this system, unless you plan to aggressively "trade up" by flipping the old cards every year. There isn't anything better than a 2080ti on the market right now, and even when something comes out the 2080ti is likely still to be the #3-4 fastest consumer card in existence. For reference the 1080ti is still #5-7 on most aggregate benchmark hierarchy charts, and it hit the market in 2017. It's beginning to show its age, but still one hell of a card for non-4K. It will be a massive, massive investment for increasingly diminishing returns. That said, go nuts if you can afford this and plan to game at 4K, it will rock.

I say that only because I get the sense you're trying to "future proof" a bit and that's not really possible. If you are planning big upgrades you may be better served by a better selection of value parts today that meets current needs and just keep putting money aside each month for upgrades - if it ends up being the GPU, great, if by then its a new CPU/socket, you're not stuck.

Also I realize goons aren't all poor HS/College kids like we were 15 years ago, so if its in budget don't let me stop you, it's not my $.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 21, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Harminoff posted:

So just got back from this. Was a three hour line in front of me. Ended up picking up two Dell Z220 with i7 3770, and 18 gigs of ram. Should be able to run sims and whatnot ok I'd imagine.

This will rip at The Sims yeah. Is it a mini tower? Perfect find. If it doesn't have an SSD you can get one for dirt cheap.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Lawnie posted:

Looking at graphics cards to upgrade some hardware I'm buying from a friend, and I'm interested in an RTX 2060. This seems like a genuinely good deal but I'm not even close to knowledgeable enough to pick out any important differences between models. Any suggestions? https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...b8zvSrtj1wF6PWg

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2060-gv-n2060oc-6gd/p/N82E16814932115 $305 after rebate, or a maybe better one for $320 after rebate

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-06g-p4-2067-kr/p/N82E16814487442

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 22, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Harminoff posted:

So opening this up and looking around, it looks like the mobo has a proprietary 18 bit connector and I've read about people having trouble with other power supplies fitting the case. The power supply is 400w however it only has 1 6 pin connector. Is there a decent graphics card that I could grab that only takes 1 connection? Not sure how to go about putting a better video card in this.

If anything I could get a new power supply and this https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Workstation-12-inch/dp/B074G12LT5 and try and make it fit.

This machine is going to be CPU limited instantly and only worse going forward. Don't get me wrong - it was a STEAL at the price you paid and has tons of life in it for The Sims. But it's only going to do so much, and that means no need to go overboard on the video card.

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeF...customerReviews < This will not need any additional power from the PSU (will draw from just the PCI express slot!) and will be fine for The Sims 4 and similar games.

One step up in price/power would be this:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-CableCreation-2-Pack-Express-Inches/dp/B07BPP5F65/
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Overclocked-Extreme-06G-P4-1163-KR/dp/B07PHQHFCQ/

You don't want to spend a lot of money here, for $500 you could build a brand new PC with a Ryzen 3200G/16GB/240GB SSD/1660 Super... Granted the video card you buy can be moved over, so if you think this is a stopgap then maybe take the step up. I may even take a stab at this refurb card for $150: https://www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-mini/p/1FT-000M-002C8?Item=9SIADFR9RM7584 (edit: The latest review gives me pause, but this is an old computer, everything in it is "refurb" grade at this point!)

Until last year I was running i5-3570k & an AMD R9 380, which the GTX 1650 should beat. I was playing most everything I wanted on medium/high or better at 1080p no problem. Rocket league, Arma 3, Day Z, etc all ran great.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 22, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The 1400p system Stickman quoted is just around $1000, for some points of reference. Probably the only savings there are going for the Ryzen 2600 over the 3600 and a lesser video card, but I'd probably just shell for the 3600 so when you do upgrade the GPU you aren't constrained. You could probably eek a few dollars out of the config just watching sales/rebates over the coming 5-6 weeks, but that's a rock solid value.

edit: Someone at work was asking me about a prebuilt and... you know what? Yeah this isn't bad. You can barely buy the parts for this price.

Dell Outlet Alienware Aurora R8
Intel Core 9th Generation i5-9600K Processor (6 Core, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz on all cores, 9MB Cache, 95W)
Windows 10 Home
1TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
16GB (2X8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC
8X DVD+/-RW
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB OC GDDR6

$1,043.00

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

orange juche posted:

The only problem is System Integrators LOVE to cheap out on power supplies. It's the easiest place to cut cost from parts and preserve short-term performance, while pocketing the margin you've freed up on the build.

If it doesn't list a power supply it's probably a cheap chinese firecracker that has like a 3 year warranty.

Dell's pretty reliable, it's not in their best interest to explode $1000 worth of parts to save a few bucks. I buy a quarter million from dell a year and haven't had a PSU explode in years, and those that did weren't catastrophic. Don't touch the Inspiron line tho.

This was a high margin $1700 machine, the Outlet has great deals. I bought a top end XPS 15 and returned it and they begged me to keep it (20% off) otherwise they'd take a bigger loss in the outlet.

I also don't want to build this guy at my work a PC :agesilaus:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

This would be an excellent value for you: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gv-r57xtgaming-oc-8gd/p/N82E16814932208

At that resolution it benches with the 2070, sometimes closer to the 2070 Super: https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/9054/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-benchmarked-3440x1440/index5.html

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Huh I have 4x8 (bought together) in my B450 and never had a single issue, runs great, rock solid, have it running at PC4-3000

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

You could swap the 3 main piece for around $300 and walk away with what feels like a new $1000 PC. $250ish if you don't replace the power supply.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair VS 550 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $284.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 10:07 EST-0500

I think that board is a fine low end replacement for the Tomahawk Max in a budget conscious setup, but am not militant about it if someone feels the Tomahawk Max is worth the extra $30, besides USB-C I don't think it brings anything specifically to the table for Bloodly. A GPU upgrade alone would cost at minimum $330-340 (the 5700 is the lowest worthy upgrade from a 1070 IMO), and the 1070 is still a nice card. In fact, if you're itching to spend, drop the extra $100 to get a 3600 & the Tomahawk Max, then you'll be in excellent shape for whatever high end GPU you drop in 1-2 years from now.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 24, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Is this a high school or higher education? You should be contacting all of the big manufacturers (isn't your school contracted with someone?) to see what sort of sponsorships and discounts they'll throw your way.

Prebuilt IMO is absolutely the only option when talking computers in a high reliability environment, especially around children. With absolutely no discounts or advantaged pricing you can get a Dell Alienware Aurora 8 for $1,899.99 that will blow away any games you'd realistically want to play, so you should have no problem hitting 3k per machine with 3-5 years of warranty & support.

You want: Fast SSD, top end video card, high refresh rate monitor (most esports titles are still played at 1080p at 144 or 240hz on a TN panel LCD), fast processor, nothing really different for "esports" than the regular gaming machines we price here, except sparing no expense where we often tell goons the $150 isn't worth a 3-5% difference. Realistically you also want to build out a separate network that's segmented and set up for low latency. There's more to it than just "get fast PCs," but that's really 97% of it.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 25, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

jokrswild posted:

Thanks. This is higher ed, 2 year college.

We're definitely going to provision them an isolated network with a dedicated pipe, don't need someone's 50gb download to affect performance.

Good idea with the sponsorship, I'll run that up the flagpole. We use a VAR for purchases, so we're not contracted with any one vendor/manufacturer, though most of our equipment is HP.

With regards to the monitors, is the preference a 1080p native monitor, as opposed to something higher res and running the game at 1080?

Good lord I hate Dell sometimes but the idea of going through VARs without dedicated pricing or service contracts also is giving me nightmares. See what folks can do for you on the Dell Alienware Aurora, or HP Omen. This isn't through HP and you actually probably want "this year's model" of this with a stronger warranty and the current generation of processors, but here's a great example of a prebuilt HP Omen: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174068673297

Yeah they run native 1080p monitors. Alienware actually makes a 25" 1080p 240hz TN panel "esports" edition. Whether or not these actually matter for gaming matters a lot less than making it clear you ~got the right gaming gear.~ This topic is probably going to give people in this thread fits, because literally everything you buy will be "wasted" or "bad value," since eSports titles play pretty well on a potato. Getting a TN panel monitor generally is for people who make their living in competitive shooters, they look much worse than an IPS panel, etc.

We are a video heavy, "VR has an actual application" medical school so I buy a lot of Good Gamin Rig level computers from the big guys. I just deployed a whole lab full of i9/32GB/2080/1TB SSD models from Dell the other day. You will probably gouge your eyes out if you try to do any building here.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 25, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

This does work, it's a windows thing. I even tried a discreet GPU for each monitor and it didn't work.

On the 60hz display I have it set to use GPU scaling (not monitor) and have h/w acceleration disabled in FF. I can confirm with testUFO that it resolves the issue, though you give up a few overall FPS if you don't have a crazy CPU.

A no brainer tradeoff though as being locked at 60fps if I want to watch a video stinks out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

A refurbished Dell Optiplex Mini or ThinkCentre M series Mini would do great. They're business computers in the tiny form factor, which makes them surprisingly rugged. They've been rock solid for me honestly. Newegg sells them refurbished, decent ones with an i7 start around $500

There's also these which are for more industrial environments: https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-01U9-00765

Fanless Mini PC,Desktop Computer,with Windows 10 Pro/Linux Ubuntu support,Intel Core I7 7500U,(Black),[HUNSN BM14],[ 2LAN/DP/ HDMI/4USB3.0/4USB2.0/WiFI],(8G RAM/240G SSD)

and its on sale, seems to be a great price.