Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If you just need 4k video playback you don't need an expensive gaming card, an $80 1030 GT will do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Friend of mine got a 3060ti at microcenter in person last week, I think they still seem to be getting the most regular stock.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

PirateBob posted:

Is there a webcam that doesn't suck balls/cost a lot?

most of the logitech ones are back in stock around normal price

Logitech C920x Pro HD Webcam is honestly pretty nice for $70 or the C320 for $35-40ish, otherwise just grab whatever cheap one is on lightning deal for sub $30 at the moment.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I bought some Aukey ones thinking they'd be at least a good B-tier brand but they are definitely worse than the Logitechs. Fine enough for most purposes at work but I wanted a little better for video calls with family.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

KingKapalone posted:

My group of my friends are chipping in to surprise another friend with a PC since he hasn't been able to play with us a long time. He's also been clobbered this past year with unfortunate events.

We're not sure how much we'll have since we were originally targeting a friend selling this laptop for $450 https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06198277 but now we're already at $400 just from 3 of us so might be able to build one.

If we had maybe $800, what should we shoot for? Would need monitor and peripherals.

What do you play? When used parts come into play and on a tight budget, IMO it becomes a matrix of options that ranges from

-get a used office machine, jam a video card in it
-buy a used system or used parts from places/SA mart
-all the way to build a budget system & add on to it.

Building NEW is going to be super super tight right now on any budget. But start with what you expect to play and I can work best with that. If you are at all interested in physical sales you can PM me and i'm happy to help browse your local Craigslist/Facebook. Also if you have a microcenter that's key, plenty of intel options for budget.

The issue on building is the video card. There really isn't a new-in-box video card you can buy right now that's under $400 unless you "e-camp out" for a 1650 super, an 18 month old card selling above its original launch price.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 13, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

KingKapalone posted:

Lately we've been playing Sea of Thieves, Overwatch, Don't Starve Together, Left 4 Dead 2, Warzone, Risk of Rain 2, Deep Rock Galactic, Among Us, but games come and go all the time. Groups splinter off and then regroup or mix and match. Not sure what he would personally be interested in regarding singleplayer. He has a PS4/Switch and has played TLOU2, FF7R, GoT, and Hades recently.

Definitely doesn't need to be new. We're in Minneapolis. One friend has a 2080 that he might be willing to use as his donation, but the rest of what we could get might bottleneck it. It also doesn't need to be that powerful really. That would be great if you spotted some things. That laptop still might be a good option and any extra cash we have goes towards peripherals or maybe even a monitor.

So you have $400 now and someone may donate a GPU?

If this is still available I'd see if you can get https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/minneapolis-cyberpowerpc-gamer-master/7257354670.html for under $500 and then take the guy's 2080 and buy a replacement PSU for $110 and be done with it.

As is it's not awful and the video card in it probably could be sold for the new power supply close to straight up.

Another option is to get something like this: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/sys/d/forest-lake-dell-optiplex-7040-sff-i5/7257772237.html and get a SFF card like a 1050ti or a 1650 if you can find one.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

KingKapalone posted:

We're at almost $1000 now if the guy with the GPU gives cash instead of the card.

I think he should give the card you cant replace it for under $400

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I still think the used system I linked you is a good deal especially below $500. Hard to put together new for under $600 these days. The PSU is junk but all it would need is a PSU ($110) and a monitor to get going same day.

AMD 2600 isn't really available anymore but is a solid 6 core 12 thread CPU. The 3600 will set you back $325 just to get in the door between CPU and board.

Do not sell that card that's absurd and one hell of a gift. Plenty of my friends with 2070 Supers are sitting out this entire generation. The new consoles will punch with an AMD 2600 / 2080 all generation, that's a fairly high end gaming PC. "Cyberpunk at 1440p high with RTX off"

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 13, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

the performance difference on 200mhz is trivial and it would have to be the worst RAM ever made if you couldn't OC it to 3200 MHz anyway, I'm running my 2666mhz RAM ez at 3200. run the duals.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Cinebench is like the most brutal thing on the processor though right? That's an extreme stress test you will pretty much never duplicate in real life no matter how you try*

*during "normal" computing/working/gaming

Think of that as essentially as hot as your system gets and it's not even in the danger zone. My ryzen cools down ridiculously fast even just alt-tabbing from a CPU intensive process.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Does 4k medium really look better than 1440p ultra (assuming both viewed on native res)? I'd assume the additional detail was lost by the... turning down the detail sliders.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Dial M for MURDER posted:

My sons B-day is coming up and I want to pep up his PC. Right now he's using an HP Pavillion 690 with an AMD 1700, and some AMD laptop GPU R9 something something.

I had a phanteks 400a coming, bought a gtx970 from SA mart, and have a MSI B350 gaming pro carbon leftover from my last upgrade, and a spare 500gb SDD

What is the best bang for my buck going forward? I was thinking of snagging a 3600 from ebay?

1600AF (YD1600BBAFBOX) for $142 new or 3600 for $199 new yeah, or slightly cheaper used, I see maybe a 1600AF for 125ish. The 1600AF is basically zen+ 2600. It's still a great chip, depends if you plan to upgrade the GPU or are more concerned with saving a few bucks now.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

CampingCarl posted:

Does Asus Aura Sync on a motherboard eliminate the need for a separate controller for ARGB fans or are there kinds that you need two separate systems to control everything? Can one control the other or did companies make their own ecosystems? Most I have found seem to require a proprietary controller/software but a few seem to say they are Aura compatible but not many. I tried to find Asus' list but it 404s. I was thinking of getting 1-2 140s but adding an extra $70 for a controller is a bit much.

In either case I assume ARGB won't work with the fan hub that comes in a Meshify 2.
By the way the Meshify 2 just came back in stock today on Newegg in case anyone was looking.
https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/Partners-and-promotions.php works for me if i drill down, I can Pm you the list

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Yeah if you're worried just get a tomahawk, and gather as many USB drives as you can ahead of time. Some of them work better than others (random, mystery) though I had no problems with a 32GB USB 3.0 one from a few years ago.

Flashing the BIOS is a tiny bit annoying if you need to use flashback but have already built the PC for some reason, but before you even assemble it just connect the PSU to the board (all outside of the case) and it'll take 4 min to flash.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Did you build in the case or are you building/testing outside of the case first? Strip it down to JUST board and PSU, you should be able to turn it on by touching both metal pins that normally connect to the power button with a screwdriver.

If the case spins up naked with just power, start adding parts one at a time until it stops responding.

If you built in the case I'd almost guarantee you missed a motherboard standoff or something & it's shorting out, otherwise it's a DOA PSU or board.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thats a decent drive, for $20 more I'd probably just get the Crucial p2 but it's totally adequate for almost all needs & performs pretty well.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks all. Is there an EpocCam equivalent for Android? Any decent mic recommendations?

pretty sure entire phds have been earned off of this question. depends what you are doing but you will get the best results investing in a dynamic mic with USB audio interface.

second best results from one of those podcast type mics, but they're often condenser mics and pic up scads of background noise.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

SgtMongoose posted:

Is there any reason to upgrade from a I7 8700K to one of the Ryzens right now? Numbers seem better across the board but is it worth the expense of a full rebuild, especially since upgrading from my 1080 seems unlikely.

not really, its not like the ryzens are getting cheaper, but in theory they might actually go down in price / become more available/ get refreshed with better by the time you actually care.

there is nothing really fun about this as a hobby right now, but a 5600x isnt that hard to get i suppose. i just can't imagine jumping in right now.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Capn Beeb posted:

There was some concern about VRM quality on that one, and the cost difference wasn't too terrible :shobon:

I haven't ordered one yet either way, so no worries! I've just never seen a conflict like that.

this is insane poo poo, not trying to make fun of you. your friends are too online and too obsessed with numbers i'll bet none of them even understand. buy the extended warranty if you're "worried about VRMs" which are not a thing anyone encounters under normal use cases anyway.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

November has no bearing on now but I'm pretty sure the 3070 is obtainable, I guess, sort of. The 5600x and 5800x are definitely obtainable.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The 5600x should be fine - as far as I know that game doesn't scale beyond the amount of cores you'll get in the 5600x anyway, and for a number of nerdy reasons it tends to offer the best gaming performance anyway - especially in Sim games.

I'd recommend against a liquid CPU cooler, especially for the 5600x, which is a 65-watt TDP chip, it just doesn't make that much heat. If you want an awesome air cooler check out the FUMA2, it's also cheaper.

There's no reason to go for an X570 motherboard really, you can get a nice B550 board with WiFi for almost $100 cheaper https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-B550M-PLUS-Motherboard-Addressable/dp/B088VXTBWR/

I could be wrong but I think this is the right link for a commonly recommended SSD that's much cheaper as well

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-2TB-SSD-WDS200T2B0B/dp/B073SBW3VD/

I'd redirect your efforts and extra funds into trying to track down a 3060, which seem like they might be the most available? There's no sense in going used because that market exploded too.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Yep here is the correct link:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Blue-SN550-Internal/dp/B08K4NP5DQ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=2tb+ssd&qid=1614683711&sr=8-6

Edit: I have a 5600x and a FUMA2 and in a Phanteks Entoo Pro its basically "silent" (not audible over ambient semi-urban noise). Such a huge change from anything stock. I play Arma 3 which basically runs like a sim game (single threaded, lots of physics) & I went from 25-ish FPS to 50+ so I think this will be a really noticeable boost for you all around.

If you absolutely need a stand in GPU if evga still has a GT 1030 you might be able to do step-up to a 3060 or 3060ti.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 2, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If you can't find any 4750GE it might not exist tbh. It came out late in the cycle for 2020 on zen2 TSMC 7nm but as far as I know they basically shut down zen2 fab for zen3, since they directly compete for fab space.

edit: the 11JJS00300 lenovo thinkcentre tiny in its top end sku seems to ship with it, so it did exist at some point.

This one ships with the 4650GE https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thi...FUAAOSwpsdgOr4p

there was a 4750GE one up but it disappeared/was sold? in the time i typed this up

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 2, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

for esports titles the answer is always: used optiplex i7 w/ 8GB and a 1050ti or better (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

doomrider7 posted:

I dunno...apparently he only needs like 5 PC's and 3k can make that happen. Granted in my mind it's happening in terms of buying the parts and building the PC's themselves which could actually be pretty loving awesome to do since it actually teaches them how to build and maintain them.
counterpoint: no it cant unless you scrounge the used bins

edit: counterpoint, yes it kind of can! but not with monitors and stuff https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-R5-1650-Super-8GB-256GB-Gaming-Desktop-Tower/943933730

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 3, 2021