Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I'm looking to build my very first PC in the coming months hopefully after AMD and NVIDIA make their respective CPU and GPU updates later this year.

I've been reading in a lot of places that lots of parts are inflated due to COVID related shortages in manufacturing. Does anyone have a sense if this is true and if so, which parts are particularly inflated right now? I've read in several sources that power supply prices in particular are a bit inflated right now. Unfortunately, I've only been doing research for less than a month, so I don't have a good sense of prices of parts pre-COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Anyone have any experience with Notctua's "heavy duty" cooling fans? https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F1...ps%2C215&sr=8-3

If so are they worth the extra 5 dollars over their mainline brown case fans? I'm looking to replace this crappy Fractal case fan I'm currently using for an exhaust.

mA fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 17, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Thanks, all. I'll probably steer clear of that fan. It's probably overkill for my system.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Is there a generally agreed upon "best" GPU support bracket? I was installing a new fan on my cooler today and I noticed that my GPU is starting to show signs of sagging :/ and I think i should probably invest in one.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

MonkeyFit posted:

I got a 5800x because they had it in stock at Micro Center. Honestly a 5600 would probably have done me fine. So if you find one in stock (I don't think they're usually too hard to find) that's probably a good choice for you.

TBH, if you're going for a budget build and depending on what resolution you play games at, a 3600 is still a better value for a lot of people. When you look at the other viable 6 core CPU options that are out there, the price of the 5600x isn't cheap.

mA fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 15, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

ChumpsForChange posted:

Building my first PC since 2012 and want to make sure everything looks okay. Trying to spend ~$1k and going to use it mostly for gaming and maybe some light simulation stuff for school. Already have a 3070 and got a 5900X from a friend but looking for anymore input.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Tz7Zy4
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($192.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($175.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1029.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-15 13:07 EDT-0400

If you can do without RGB, look into the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 AIO. It's much cheaper and provides better cooling performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaSEGe6ML0&t=11s

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

How much more? Also consider the cost of a motherboard as they tend to be cheaper for AMD.

The 5600X is pretty much better in nearly all situations, so without a direct price comparison it’s kind of difficult.

212 is fine, but if you’re going to OC you’ll need something better.

I mean it’s a pretty large price difference, so I don’t think you can hand waive that away when factoring a 6 core purchasing decision

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
After years of exclusively using Noctua air coolers, I made the switch to an AIO. Still getting used to the pump sound, but it's a nice change of pace to the chonky air coolers I've grown used to. I repurposed my former Noctua 140mm intake fans and put them up top as exhaust.

mA fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 4, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Not to make you feel like you need to redo this, but does the rad fit top mount?

Think of it this way. In the current setup, your rad is taking all the hot air from the CPU and dumping it back into the case. Directly onto the GPU.

You get a much better result by going top mount exhaust with a rad, and front panel intake with those noctua fans.

If that's not an option, I'd probably consider making those top fans intakes and the front mount rad exhaust .

Yeah, unfortunately my case can only fit a 240mm rad up top and the model I got was the 280, so I had to go front mounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Noctua's fanless CPU cooler is available for preorder. https://www.newegg.com/p/2RM-001D-001D0

Only registered members can see post attachments!