Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What's the price/performance sweet spot for a low power tiny pc with integrated graphics only?

Is this buy an OEM all in one territory?

I'm going to make a custom enclosure so I don't care if it comes with one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Speed of a quad core i7 from 5 years ago. Integrated graphics from Intel in the last 5 years is fine. A modern DX level is good but it doesn't need much actual muscle. It is for a car pc, so it doesn't need to be ultra low power. I'd like it to be more business laptop level but without a display or keyboard.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Any manufacturers of note that make cool NUC stuff and also aren't named intel?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah I had an optiplex sff that I sold to an old roommate. It was a phenominal deal and super solid PC. I was also thinking a thinkpad t440p with processor swap is fairly competetive. I discovered there is a thread for small computers so I'll ask over there what's cool.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Not mainstream ones yet. Some folks are making NUC like things with Ryzen SKUs meant for embedded applications, but I'd be wary of driver support. Rumor has it AMD is gonna push for it next year.

There was that hybrid thing with the Vega cores a while back, which was neat, but overpriced.

That sounds pretty cool, how do I find out more about the Ryzen nuc-likes?

e: looks like I just add 'embedded'

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 28, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Rolo posted:

-I used to build PC’s but it’s been almost 20 years. For reference, my last one was a bleeding edge Athlon XP with a Radeon 9800. Has much changed with respect to assembly?

Really almost nothing. The low end cases don't have razor blade edges anymore. There are basically no parts you can hook up backwards, everything is keyed, though 1999 might have been to that point too.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok, is there anything horribly wrong with this motherboard - https://www.microcenter.com/product/509732/asrock-b450m-pro4-am4-matx-amd-motherboard - and a 2700x?

edit: or a 3600 for that matter, I'm still debating that but I'm diving down the mobo rabbit hole and frankly I don't know enough to tell the different similar boards apart. Only restriction is that I'd prefer a mATX for space reasons.

I think you need a lot more RGBs :siren: :siren: :siren:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

aaaand this ram: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-16gvkb---black

Not seeing any problems via PC parts picker etc but I'm an idiot.

It seems ok to me, but I'm not quite as informed as some people in here.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Aorus Master Z390 has the balls to sponsor this video without even a single waifu on it?

e: They should make the video card's waifu clothes out of thermal ink so they get naked when you game but are clothed when you ask mom for money to buy it

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Do you think I will be able to run this setup using a 120W Pico PSU? PC Part Picker estimates 156W so pretty iffy but I don't know how conservative the estimate is. I already have all this stuff so I can try it out but no need to bother if everyone says it's hopeless. How much power can I save if I undervolt stuff?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hRXKXv
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Pico PSU Link

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

TheFluff posted:

It might work, but you may run into reset issues if/when sudden changes in CPU load lead to overcurrent protection and/or undervoltage protection tripping on some out-of-spec condition that might only have lasted for a few milliseconds. If you want to try it, I think a better idea than undervolting is downclocking (by limiting the max CPU multiplier) or just setting the power limit to maybe 45W or so in the BIOS, if it lets you do that.

I wouldn't say it's a great idea though.

Kinda figured that'd be the best anyone could tell me, barring someone randomly having used the same equipment. I have one of those wifi outlets that can measure power use, I'll try with a normal PSU and see how much power it uses under full load.

Anyone know what some good options are for DC powered ATX supplies?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Putting it in a car. It'd be nice to not have to go DC-AC-DC if I don't have to. There is also an 180W PicoPSU but I don't really need it to be super duper small.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If the i5-4690K (88W Haswell) doesn't work out, I could try i5-5675C (65W Broadwell). It explicitly has a TDP control function down to 27W. Interesting there are two broadwell models supported by Z97 chipset w/ 1150 socket

or get a better PSU for $50

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 11, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

magnetic screwdrivers are cool

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It should be fine, I think.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

AFStealth posted:

It's been posted before, but don't spend $110 on Windows 10. Buy from the SA Mart goon. I just spent $5 for a Win7 key from him and activated Win10 with it no problem.

Or if you don't like goons, you can get one from places like kinguin, but really don't pay MS for Win10 they are trying as hard as they can to give it away for ~free without actually announcing it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Those things are generally loud as gently caress stock.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Anyone interested in an old hdd like a quantum fireball or semi old like a 15k raptor or infamous bad model deathstar that works? Also have some random 1tb disks I think. I'll give them to a good home. If there is interest I'll make a list.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Extremely worth it. What's the downside?

Whats the upside?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You forgot to put a budget, what's good will depend a lot on that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

How are you getting in place upgrades on win7 at this point? I thought the cutoff on that ended a while ago. If so I am leaking win7 keys from my own career so I'll give him one of those.
Microsoft wants everyone on win 10, it has the app store and start menu ads and crap.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure how many of you are even old enough to have worked on PCs when this came out:

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s1837_110.pdf

But does anyone know what the 2nd ATX power connector is for? The manual actually doesn't say anything about it.

Maybe so you can have two PSUs and replace one without powering down?

Been awhile since I've seen the VHS style PII

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I was going to say "there must be holes a half inch over" but then I noticed it lines up pretty much on the right but gets worse as you go left. So maybe it's the wrong IO plate? Or they cut it wrong at the factory?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KillHour posted:

If you're doing anything beyond hobby-level work with ML and don't have the budget for a 5 figure workstation, you should be training your models in the cloud instead of building a ridiculous multi GPU consumer desktop.

Also, dual booting is for suckers - you can install Linux directly into Windows now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux

But then you have to run windows all the time

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Do you know the specific game they are going to play?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

don't use VGA I'll find you a monitor with DVI (or whatever you need but come on)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

should be ok if the cable fits snugly and won't just fall off

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Are there any cases designed to be slim and long/wide like a pizza box? With a full side video card beside the motherboard. Ideally with no internal PSU. Feeling like it's either hacking up a 1u to 2u rack mount case or go custom starting with a project box enclosure.

It needs to be less than 4 inches tall to fit in the location I want to use in my car.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Oh should have mentioned I'd like to support matx so I can have 4 ram slots. But otherwise those are about right

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I can't find it but there was an article about how some motherboards have the memory traces optimized for 2-stick use (shorter traces for 2 sockets at the expense of the other 2), and some don't. Either way you probably won't be able to OC quiiiite as much with 4.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

There were absolutely the win-modem equivalent in sound cards, where all processing was offloaded from the sound card to the CPU instead of the other way around

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Just relax and take a 4 month nap

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You can use different antennas. You might need to switch the motherboard to io plate pigtails from rsma to sma if you get a fancy antenna.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I’m surprised that NVIDIA didn’t patent anything important there.

Me too, though I am glad they weren't able to since what they are doing isn't particularly novel.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Disconnect everything but power, take out the RAM and pcie cards and nvmes. You want the minimal amount of hardware, then add in things one at a time. Check the mobo boot code with no cpu, then with cpu. See if those codes make sense. After the cpu is in, the mobo should be complaining about no memory at that point, I would think. If it isn't at least you've narrowed it down to CPU or mobo.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

In a ton of cases that is exactly true. If anything putting a bunch of RGB on it is bad for signal integrity.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

WD Raptor drives imo

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Its its now in drawer. I still cant throw it out. I have a problem.
Mine is even a lil 74G one, but it's special. Can't just throw it out but also no one wants it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

drives just don't make noise like that anymore though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you want hard drive recs, this thread will actually have them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557