Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Scruff McGruff posted:

Might be worth including a list of good YouTube resources? GN, Linus, Buildzoid, etc.

A list of other resources that are thought highly of would be a good idea imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I like him just fine. I meant other resources than the OP, like the examples listed.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 12, 2019

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are the dimensions of a "reference" GPU related to other parts like the motherboard or could those conceivably change with a new GPU generation? If a case can fit a reference 2080ti, can I expect it to also fit a reference 3080, 4080 etc... ?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I currently have two PCs, of which I intend to upgrade one and now I'm wondering if it's worth keeping some of the parts. Here's what I got:

Desktop from 2012, browsing, light gaming and a very small amount of video editing:
i5-3570k
asus p8z77-v
16gb ddr3-1600
256gb samsung 830 ssd
Fractal Design Define R3
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB
XFX Pro Silver 750W ATX 2.3

Living room PC from 2015, gaming:
i5-6500 (4C/4T)
asrock h170m-itx
16gb ddr4-2133
1tb sandisk ssd plus
Silverstone RVZ02
zotac geforce 1080 mini
silverstone 500w 80+ gold

I wanna upgrade my living room PC as the CPU isn't great for modern games and the PSU doesn't allow for high-end GPUs. It being an ITX case means that if I want to upgrade the CPU and PSU I need to disassemble the entire thing, so I figure I may as well upgrade the rest since it's the same amount of work.

I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to put the old components of my living room PC into my even older Desktop, get another two or three years out of them that way. I don't do all that much on my Desktop but I do notice things sometimes taking a bit when I have a lot of tabs and applications open. The idea is to basically take the MB+CPU+RAM+GPU+SSD from the living room PC and put it in the Desktop, something I'm hopefully able to do without also having to take the entire desktop apart. A fools errand?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ItBreathes posted:

I don't get what you mean by not taking the desktop apart when you're going to have to gut it to put all the new stuff in.

Stickman posted:

If you’re building a new computer to replace the living room pc, why not just replace the desktop with your living room pc instead of mixing the components?

I was kinda visualizing the MB+RAM+CPU as a single part that I wouldn't have to do much more with than to plug in and hook up, so I wouldn't need to do the time-intensive cable routing again. I can see tho that I'm not really gaining all that much by doing that, basically just the larger case, PSU and the hard drives inside it (can't put em in the mini itx case), but I guess that's something I can give up if I manage to get some money back selling the PC.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If I'm using more case fans than my board has headers for, can I daisy-chain some Y splitters together to hook up multiple fans to a single header or do I need a fan controller instead? Anything in particular I should look for in a fan controller if I need one?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm debating getting a case that uses a riser card, which would limit me to PCIe 3.0, because of this I'm thinking of getting a B450 rather than a X570 board. I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of the performance difference between these two possible configurations, if there indeed is any (CPU would be a 3700x in both cases):

ASUS ROG Strix X570-I
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-19-19-39

MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC
Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-36

The reason I selected different RAM kits is that the B450i doesn't support the Trident Z Neo kit according to it's QVL.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Stickman posted:

Probably not very much. The B450I isn't guaranteed to come pre-flashed to support 3rd-gen Ryzen, though and it doesn't support cpu-less bios flashback, so you'd need to buy from a brick-and-mortar store where you can check for a compatibility sticker (or have it flashed for free), or have a plan to update the bios. The X570 has several other nice upgrades, like better audio, 3.1 gen 2 usb ports (and more usb in general), 2x M.2 slots, Intel LAN, bluetooth 5.0, and a nicer uefi (non-"MAX" MSi B450/X570 boards are limited to a keyboard-only interface for gen 3 Ryzen because of ballooning bios sizes).

E: Techspot has a pretty good 3rd-gen ram scaling benchmark.

Thanks for this explanation, looks like I shouldn't fret too much about RAM as long as I'm above a certain threshold.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

orcane posted:

Might also want to look at another B450 mainboard, the Asus Strix B450-I Gaming is decent too and has a pretty huge memory QVL for Ryzen 3000 (and it's like half a year after launch, so while Stickman's advice re: BIOS updates applies, chances are good you will get a Ryzen 3000-ready BIOS). The 3600 MT/s Trident Z RGB my friend put on his (also with a 3700X) just worked with the pre-installed BIOS after setting the RAM profile.

But yeah you're not going to get a huge performance hit by using 3200 instead of 3600.

I'll look into that, this video was the reason why I took the MSI into closer consideration originally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyuS04lD4o&t=742s

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MikeC posted:

Buildzoid is an overclocker that assumes you be doing something crazy with your gear. He also loves features that most people in here looking for a.gaming PC don't need. His recommendations are based on that. When he says no to a board in that video, it means that you can't drop a 3900x on it and do an all core 4.5 GHz OC at 1.45v to run a 24 hour torture test and not expect your VRMs to melt.

Fair enough, the video didn't really makes this clear and I also assumed that he would be aware that people buying ITX boards would have little interest in overclocking generally. I'll look into the Asus B450 board in case I'll end up going with that over X570.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Milkman posted:

I'm looking into doing a new (Ryzen 3800X/3900Xish) build, and I'm having trouble finding a good selection of cases. Maybe YOU know of something better? I'm looking something small-ish form factor (MicroATX/Mini-ITX), that'll still fit:

They're pretty old at this point but the Bitfenix Prodigy and the BitFenix Colossus M should be able to house all the components you mentioned, if you can find them.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've made a similar post not too long ago but my build has changed slightly and I'm now about to actually put orders for stuff in.
It's to be a gaming PC to go under my TV in a horizontal orientation. Here are the components I selected and my reasoning behind them, any feedback would be much appreciated:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler ($78.20 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($249.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
GPU: my GTX 1080 for now, till the 3080ti comes out
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01-E HTPC Case ($125.92 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 03:31 EST-0500

Why I picked what I picked:

CPU Cooler: quieter and better performance than stock, doesn't put restrictions on ram height and also allows for one of the case fans to be mounted above the CPU
MB: went with an X570 since I'm hoping to keep this board for maybe two GPU upgrades, at which time the PCIe 4.0 bandwidth might be used (I asked and Silverstone told me they intend to release a PCIe 4.0 riser at some point)
RAM: the Trident Z Neo seem to be recommended as a pretty good kit, went with 32gb because RAM is pretty cheap right now and I'm hoping to not have to upgrade it for a few years by buying more
Storage: the XPG X8200 Pro seems to be a good sweet spot between affordability and performance, went with the big one because SSDs are also relatively cheap and games are enormous already
Case: I want something horizontal that allows for powerful components, the RVZ01-E offers better thermals for this than the Node 202 from what I've seen
PSU: went with the 750 since Nvidia recommends 650+ watt for a 2080ti and I've seen people post about having issues on a SF600
Case fans: slim Noctua fans to replace the standard fans (the standard fans are not PWM)
Feet: since I plan on using the case horizontally, I'll be getting 3rd party feet with higher clearance (25mm) so the GPU will have an easier time drawing air

I budgeted more than I need to for some parts (MB, RAM, PSU) in the hope of not needing to upgrade them in the next 5+years, as those would require major disassembly of the entire system (GPU can be more easily upgraded, which I intend to do at some point). As I said in the opening, any feedback would be much appreciated!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mu Zeta posted:

Minimum ram requirements for Half Life 3/Alyx is 12 gigs of ram. Might be time to just get 32 gigs.

drat, wonder if that's due to some very VR specific requirements, since Source 2 isn't exactly pushing the visual envelope normally.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking at two different RAM kits and I' m wondering if there's any difference between them other than the RGB:

1. G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-19-19-39 (in my MB's QVL)
2. G.Skill RipJaws V DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-19-19-39 (not in my MB's QVL)

EDIT: I ask cause one is 134 and the other 179 Euro.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 22, 2019

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm sorry, I didn't think it was need but here are the model numbers :

1. G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-19-19-39 (in my MB's QVL) F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
2. G.Skill RipJaws V DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-19-19-39 (not in my MB's QVL) F4-3600C16D-32GVKC

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

KillHour posted:

The Trident neo is Hynix CJR. I can't find anything on the Ripjaw, but it's probably similar. Could be Micron E.

So, I take it it's probably better to go with the Neo since they're part of the boards QVL? I actually got the prices wrong before, it's 173 Euro for the Trident Z vs 134 Euro for the Ripjaws V.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Stickman posted:

You could check G.Skill's QVL list for the Ripjaws as well, since they're often more up-to-date than motherboard's QVL lists.

Thanks, I'll go with the Trident Z in that case. I did actually check the G.Skill QVL list for the cheaper kit already and the MB is not there (the Asus X570 ITX one).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Bloodly posted:

My question is: Is at least the GTX 1070 a salvageable piece(I.e, worth keeping)?

The GPU is super easily replaceable in a finished PC, so you might as well if you feel the gaming performance is still okay for you.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have this gold rated Silverstone PSU with 500w ( https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=527&area=en ), according to the PSU calculator linked in the OP I could run even a 2080ti with it:

I don't intend to do that but I am curious what the most powerful GPU would be that you would recommend I put in there. I'm looking at Nvidia cards, as my current AMD card has issues waking my monitors from sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What's a good program to stress test for clock speeds and thermals once a system has been finished? Ideally I'd like something I can leave running for a while and then get a detailed report of, for both CPU and GPU afterwards.

Edit: OCCT seems to be exactly what I want except it seems you can't get any detailed graphs after testing, it only shows you clock and thermals "live"

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 9, 2020