Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
This is more or less my current build which is a few years old. I'm usually a few years behind current gen games, but I'm starting to run into issues with stuff I want to play. Is the GPU going to be my main limiting factor or do I need to upgrade my CPU/Mobo as well?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2 GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This is quite outdated. DDR3 RAM, only 250GB on the SSD, the CPU is is 7 years old and the GPU is 6 years old. If it's in your budget... it's probably time for an upgrade on everything. Unfortunately, GPU's are impossible to find right now at a reasonable price.

Okay, a full rebuild is not unreasonable, I just wasn't sure if that was the case. Thanks for all the inputs, glad to know I ran this machine into the ground!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

My old build:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2 GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I'm seeing this build on Newegg. I'm a 1080p gamer, not worried about 4k stuff. Any thoughts on grabbing this as an upgrade?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It looks reasonable. Price isn’t too bad.

I’d definitely spring the extra $100 for the i7 and NVME though. That cooler looks lovely, and you may want to replace it eventually, but other than that I think it’s fine.

NVME? Thanks for the heads up on the cooler. I'll keep an eye out.

CoolCab posted:

will be a pretty significant upgrade for sure, 950-2060 is a big jump, and you'll be able to apply DLSS to tease even more performance out of it. it's a bit more expensive than i'd like but that's the loving market i suppose - you might be able to shop around cheaper but it's not highway robbery, imo at least. you could also bring the storage forward from your old machine too.

DLSS? Yeah it's a little pricey, but not terrible considering I'm seeing current gen stuff see for 2-3x MSRP online. Good call on bringing the storage over.

Appreciate the info from both of you!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

PC Building Megathread - Is that the price or the series?

EDIT: Okay I was wondering about PCIe SSD's, I hadn't read up about them. Cheers!