Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, don't forget r/BuildAPCSales: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/new/

...one of the only *constructive* things on Reddit. >.>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Whitest Russian posted:

Most of those problems were because of a New Architectural. It shouldn't be as clustherfucky since AMD is just refining it's process.

Also, Zen 3's design is 'done' for all intents and purposes. It's Zen 4 that's still in the pipe, and immaterial for anyone who's looking to build in the next 6-12 months since Zen 4 will use a new socket. 2021-22 should be interesting - AMD's tested and working design vs. whatever Jim Keller's whipping up for Intel in exchange for the dump trucks of money they gave him.

Not ~really~? But decent DDR4-3600 is pretty damned cheap right now (compared to where it *was* >.>) and plays very nicely with Ryzen 2 chips.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Yall realize the 2080 ti costs over $1,000 right? Like, just the video card alone.

$1,000.

The Ti cards tend to 'age' better than the lesser cards. People who bought the 1080Ti at launch have gotten just as much value for their money as those who got into 970s at launch, and the 1080Ti never suffered from 0.5GB-Gate.

Before that, people spoke glowingly of their 980Tis, which has 1070-like performance, albeit at higher thermals and the cost of 2GB of buffer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi Thread,

I am in the US building a new gaming PC. Someone helped me get this put together near the end of the last thread:
I upgraded the CPU because I have more room in by budget; I already have my Hard Drive situation sorted so it is absent from that list. I have a few follow up questions, though:
1.) I have maybe another $200 in budget, should I upgrade the graphics card?
2.) There are a staggering number of cases to chose from. I would like a medium sized (easy enough to move if I want to go to the rare LAN but not too small, either) with no lighting on the outside. Anyone have any suggestions or know a good brand to look at?
3.) Do I need any more cooling?

1) If you're set on going with Intel, you should upgrade the *motherboard*. All Z390 boards are not created equal. Look into the Aorus Master board, it often goes on sale for ~$220. It sure isn't $220 right now, though. =/
2) Fractal Design's cases are a joy to build out of, and they're one of the last case makers that offer cases without side windows. The Meshify series also eschews the closed-front aesthetic for a cleaner flow-through.
3) Yes. The 9900K is an extremely hot processor, the 9900KS even more so, and the 212EVO is an *aging* HSF. Air cooling a 9900K, treat the Noctua NH-D15S as your jumping off point and realize you're not going to have much overclocking headroom...at all. I'm personally very anti-AIO because I don't like putting things with moving parts that can fail catastrophically and take out other components in the process in my computer. I didn't really have a choice with my current build, and am running a 360mm AIO with a push-pull config (that's three 120mm ML120 fans on either side) to cool the CPU.

Lastly, consider going AMD this time around - most people - myself included - will suggest the 3700X, but if you're dead-set on a high-end CPU go with the 3900X. By buying into the Z390 you're buying into a dead platform. Intel's already said their next gen CPU architecture's going to use a new socket and new board, while Socket AM4 still has Zen 3 scheduled for it before AMD retires it. What you lose in single-thread speed you'll gain in a mid-life upgrade path. Also, wait for BF/CM and see where 2060 Supers and non-Super 2070s land. There's a 2070S Zotac Mini on Amazon at the moment for $489.99, which feels like a price test to me.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 13, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

charity rereg posted:

They don't sell well, since they came to you for free you could probably move them quickly for $250ea on ebay, maybe $200 and roll that into a 2060 Super or something if you need that much power, or a 1660super if you dont. If selling them isn't seen as rude, I realize not every gift comes without expectations, or the person might want to sell them if you aren't using them.

The x-factor that's working against him here is the fact that they've got waterblocks on them. If they still had the stock HSF on them, I could see them being desirable for someone wanting to do low-end ML applications and not spend a small fortune doing it. But with those EKWB blocks on them (which likely are specially tailored to the Titan Z), you've just turned something simple into a complex thing someone has to work around. A 'cheap' card just became more expensive because you have to then buy a new cooling apparatus for it.

If you itemize on your taxes, get in contact with your nearest 'tech-forward' college/community college/high school and see if they'll take them in as a donation.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 13, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Phison E12 drives are Phison E12 drives are Phison E12 drives, but MyDigitalSSD hasn't updated their website even news-wise in months. They also haven't put out a F/W update in well over a year.

I can't in good conscience recommend a company that can't even put up a "hey, we're still around and functioning" message on their website.

And of course, just as I look, they've at least tweeted they have new products, but still no new support info. The Inland drives are evidently coming with ECFM F/W version 22.4 out of the blister pack. No one's uploaded a F/W update tool yet or ascertained if it'll be another destructive update.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 14, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

whats a good atx mid-tower case in the $50-75 range? prefer one with usb-c

The Fractal Design Define C is a little closer to $90 but it's well-made and has USB-C.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stickman posted:

I though it was just the updated R6 and S2s that had usb-c so far?

Any Fractal case with "C" in the name seems to have USB-C. The Vector, Define, and Meshify all have options with USB-C. No Node or Focus cases do, though...yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Might defeat the purpose of a 'cheap' case, but it seems like Fractal decided people might be willing to pay for an I/O upgrade: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/accessories/connect-d1/black-white-grey/

But you are right, the presence of a "C" doesn't denote the presence of USB-C.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vasler posted:

I have a RAM-related question.

Right now I've got an i5 4670.

I can't figure out if newer Intel chips use the same RAM as the one I have.

I want to add more RAM to my current setup. Right now I have DDR3. I see that DDR4 is what new intel chipsets use. Is it a better idea to just upgrade to a new PC or to buy some more RAM? Looks like new chipsets only use DDR3s so they wouldn't be cross-compatible.

In the meantime, I was thinking about buying a new video card (have a 970 right now, thinking about a 2070).

Does it make more sense to upgrade the whole thing all at once or to buy a video card and some RAM right now?

1. If you currently have 16GB, you don't need any more RAM. And you're correct - both AMD and Intel are using DDR4 now, and will continue to for probably the next 2-3 years.
2. The 2060S is - more or less - the same as an original 2070. The original 2070 is ~3-5% faster than the 2060S, which is effectively falling into a 'margin of error' range performance-wise. The 2070 Super has gotten down to $489, but that's a little rich.
3. Again, if you're running *at least* 8GB of RAM...I wouldn't upgrade that unless you're planning on keeping this system for another 12-16 months. Buying a new GPU isn't an awful decision right now since there are two rumors about nVidia's next gen: that the x80 part won't be out in retail channels until June-July 2020 or later, or that it won't be out until the latter half of 2021. It all depends on what resolution/refresh rate you're using *now* and what res/rate you'll be using with a new system/monitor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vasler posted:

I have 8 GB of RAM right now and am using a 970. I game at 1080p and won't be changing that any time soon.

For some reason, I thought the 2070S was way better than the 2060S. I wonder why I thought that.

It sounds to me like a good medium-ground approach is to just buy a 2070S/2080S and leave my memory as is?

Looking at my case, I have two 4 GB sticks and 2 slots available, but my CPU heatsink/fan covers one slot so I really only have 1 slot available. Does RAM still need to be paired?

The "S" thing is new. The 2060S and 2070 are, for all intents and purposes, the same card. They use the same core revision. The 2070S is ~10% faster than the original non-Super 2070 and 2060S, and usually ~$80-120 more expensive for that relatively small boost.

The 2080S is a terrible value. If you can find a 2070S for ~$480 (there's a Zotac 2070S on Amazon for $490 at the moment), that's not a terrible buy, but anything around or over $500 is poorly priced.

RAM needs to be paired to gain the advantage of dual channel addressing. With regards to new RAM, don't spend any more than this: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231637

Be careful not to buy DDR3L. The set I linked is the right kind and it's sold directly by Newegg, not a Chinese reseller.

Schadenboner posted:

Is ray tracing in any of the consoles? I’d guess that getting included will be the spark that kicks off mass inclusion in games?

But I know fuckall about game development so :shrug:?

Not yet, but enough noise has been made about it that I expect *some* implementation of it (certainly not nVidia's, as both MS and Sony have committed to AMD at this point) to make it into the new consoles.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 16, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Sorry to be asking this but I wanted to know if my current system will be at least sufficient until the next gen consoles drop. The only big name games/system pushers on my wishlist right now are Doom Eternal and Dying Light 2. Not sure if Disco Elysium needs much but that's also something else I'm interested in. I play games at 1440p at 144hz using gsync.

System:

i7-7700k
GTX 1070
16gb ram

You're going to notice more bottlenecking because of your 4/8 CPU relatively soonish. A 2060S is ~20-25% faster than a 1070, but so long as you don't run everything at Ultra, your system will likely keep you happy for another 12-18 months before you really start feeling the itch. By that point we should know more about Zen 4 (Zen 3 should be out by then) and Intel's supposed ~new hotness~ (don't hold your breath).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

drat it sucks theres hardly any microcenters on the west coast

From what I've heard, Fry's is on life support. Maybe Micro Center will swoop in and buy them (and their locations) out if/when they finally fold.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sniep posted:

Last time I was in a Fry's I was looking for a lightning cable and they only had off brand. The employee told me to go to an apple store across the street, that they truly didn't even carry any apple lightning cables at all.

Wild.

When it comes to cables, when in doubt, Monoprice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vasler posted:

Thanks for your help. Since I have a fairly old system (i5 4670 with 8 GB of RAM and a 970) and black friday is on the way, is this a good time to upgrade? I'm thinking some sort of better intel processor and 16-32 GB of RAM with a 2070S.

Or is it a better idea to wait on upgrading the processor/motherboard and just get a video card right now?

I game in 1080p and don't anticipate changing that for the near future.

Adding to my former advice: consider getting that 2x8 DDR3-1600 kit I linked if your old system will end up becoming a kid's system or a grandma PC. 16GB is certainly a good thing to have, but it's also spending ~$60 on something that won't benefit you in the slightest if your current system's equipment's just going to end up in mothballs.

If you have every intention of staying at 1080p I'd still recommend the 2060S if money's really burning a hole in your pocket because it will do 1080p and 1440p very well. I'd wait for BF/CM to see if the prices on 2060S, 2070s, and 2070s cards go down (stranger things have happened). That being said, keep checking r/buildapcsales every day, and if a pre-BF/CM price seems good to you, go for it. At most, you'll likely lose out on :20bux: - no one's going to be selling a 2060S for $329, but a non-Super 2070 at ~$430 might be possible, and 2070S has already hit $490.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd be a little :ohdear: about a 2700X on a B450 board, though. That's kind of stretching things.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Hardware Unboxed says the B450 Tomahawk runs even the 3950x very well which is a $700 processor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J69aiJJEHzQ

Of course it'll run. In the short to mid-term. I wouldn't trust a high-draw CPU in a B450 board for over three years, though. Maybe to those of us who are comfortable in doing it, swapping out a motherboard is easy, but most of the people looking for advice in here are 'curious/engaged novices.'

When I give advice in here, I always assume people are going to be using these systems for 5+ years, because that's what people are usually saying they have - specs that were good...five years ago. It's why I counsel 6-8 core CPUs. It's why I've been saying 8GB video cards are a smarter choice than 6GB, even at 1080p.

The goal should be to make sure that once someone leaves this thread, they don't need to come back for 3-5 years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

You ain't gonna kill your motherboard running an in-spec processor. Maybe if you crank the OC but if you're using a stock cooler you're not going to be able to pull that off either.

Also VRM quality and chipset are independent, you can get B450 boards with very robust power delivery.

Agreed, but not everyone in here is going to 100% follow our advice, either.

"Surely this B450 'Bazooka' board is the same as this 'Tomahawk MAX,' they're made by the same company! And I save $30!" :downs:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what would be your mobo recommendation for a 2700x?

Probably a mid-range, no frills X570 like the Aorus Elite or ASUS TUF. Using a 2700X in it, you won't get PCIe 4.0, but it'll be a better platform to drop a Zen 3 CPU into 3+ years from now. The fact that OG Ryzen processors are still available in abundance speaks well for what the supply of Zen 3s will be in 3+ years.

I'm just not as big a fan of the B-series boards, but I will acknowledge that the Tomahawk MAX is a good one amongst a lot of bad, mediocre, and middling ones.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

It sounds like AMD is the way to go these days? I've seen the 2700x come up a bunch in the last page, is that like a sweet spot at the moment?

It's by far the best *value* at the moment. Micro Center's selling the 2700X for $160 at the moment, before the $30 bundle discount (which usually ends up being ~$15 after tax). $160 for a very respectable 8/16 CPU.

Tack on the fact that any AM4 board will also be able to drop in a Zen 3 processor in the future gives you an easy upgrade path to a 12-16 core CPU...if/when that *ever* becomes worthwhile to have.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 18, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

teagone posted:

I'm looking at my mainboards RAM QVL list again, can someone explain to me what the "DIMM" column means at the end here:

Because I'm assuming that means those modules only work in a single and dual DIMM configuration based on the checkmarks. Is that right? Because the same kit is super cheap right now, and I want to upgrade my server to 32GB of RAM. Will those modules not work in a 4 DIMM configuration?

It's an indicator of how many DIMMs come with that particular SKU. Those two listed are 2x8 DDR4-3200 kits. Those are single-ranked modules, meaning there are only chips on one side of the PCB - those will always perform better with less issues if you fully populate your slots.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 18, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Klaaz posted:

Dammit.

So I just received a 1660 Super which needs to be connected to an 8 pin connector. My PSU has only 6, which was sufficient for my old 1050 GPU.

I guess using some kind of 6 to 8 adapter is pretty dumb considering this 1660 runs on 125 watt and my only option is replacing my PSU?

Nope, not dumb. Even though it's an eight-pin connector, the 1660S will never use the additional 150W an eight pin connector supplies. As you said, the TDP of the card is 125W. The PCIe slot supplies 75W, and a six pin will supply another 75W. You've got some overage. Wouldn't suggest going for a :krad: overclock, though.

If your PSU's 5-7 years old, it might not be a horrible idea to change it out (especially if it's not modular because those are :swoon: ), but that's your discretion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

Is there a good article to read somewhere on the relative differences between the 2060S, the 2070, and the RX5700?

It's not an article, but:

The 2060S and 2070 are essentially the same card. As in, they literally use the same core and have the same amount of buffer. The 2070's faster than the 2060S, but no more than ~5% (or less), which is more or less a 'margin of error' speed increase.

The RX 5700's ~10% slower than both of them (save in a few AMD-friendly games/benchmarks), and uses ~60W more power. Either one will 'do ya for a while' in anything up to/including UW 1440p.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

Dunno where you're getting that power figure from, all the benchmarks I can find show it having a similar to slightly lower power consumption. (Also a somewhat smaller performance delta in most games.)

Checked the max TDP of the 5700 on a datasheet and saw it's 180W. If it doesn't hit that, okay, but that's what I saw.

I know the XT's TDP is over 200W so it seemed plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I haven't done this in ~12 years and the new technology baffles and angers me. I have an ASRock B550 PRO4 and a Radeon RX 5700 XT. Which slot do I put the graphics card in for best performance?

The top one. The reason it looks different is that it's a reinforced slot to help with the added weight of larger GPUs.