Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I haven't went back to the archive of the special, what was the payoff of the HEI Points Whirlwind Machine, because that was when it was cut-off for everybody.

I was originally thinking the machine wouldn't have wind, or the guy gets stuck inside for a quick suffocating gag, but it seemed like the joke was Tim just didn't want anybody to win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I haven't went back to the archive of the special, what was the payoff of the HEI Points Whirlwind Machine, because that was when it was cut-off for everybody.

I was originally thinking the machine wouldn't have wind, or the guy gets stuck inside for a quick suffocating gag, but it seemed like the joke was Tim just didn't want anybody to win?

The guy shoved the HEI Point vouchers into his pockets and Tim made a big deal about it making him reset the challenge. After he still won a lot Tim said that all the points may not be redeemable.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

The guy shoved the HEI Point vouchers into his pockets and Tim made a big deal about it making him reset the challenge. After he still won a lot Tim said that all the points may not be redeemable.

I was so disappointed he wasn’t trapped in there all show with the air going

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's so in-character for there always to be a problem handling streaming traffic every single year.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I solved it.

After recognizing his incredible acting talents from the Baboon footage, G Amato hired Mark to do the hit. He’s the spitting image of the AI mugshot. The Hitman’s unrecognizable voice was the product of Mark’s amazing impersonation abilities. It’s why he wasn’t at the show. The bus/trailer tractor story is just a cover up and would explain away the gunshot scars on his chest.

:bustem:

(W.C. Fields voice) "Stick 'em up or I'll plug ya full of lead! Gunpowder is one of the Four Great Inventions of China!" (gradually dropping into normal voice) "Uh, It was first used for warfare around 90 A.D., then..."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pep Boys / Babboon is really a film I would quite enjoy. I love like a 1950s comedy farce about some knuckleheads going on misadventures and running into a monster or something. Like Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 12, 2024

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ChesterJT posted:

I loved that every time he mentioned it he was "almost done" with it. He had months to get it done. Even right before the con it was "coming along".

As someone who has presented at a lot of conferences, this is very accurate.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The movie sneak peak made it really apparent how far sound effects turn casual assault into a funny gag. Tim beating Mark with the hammer was really funny, but for different reasons.

On another note, I really appreciate how Gregg makes a gag out of these long forgotten Golden Age of Hollywood series like Ma and Pa Kettle. I think it’s gotta be rooted in a sincere love for them. I often think about how the popular things we love today will eventually become lost and forgotten, but it’s a little comforting knowing that there’s a chance that some weirdo will be obsessed with them in 80 years.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I do wonder how much of Gregg's weird movie trivia - for example the On Location segments - is actually true. I am guessing a lot of it is just made up but is it *all* or just some?

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I think the funniest parts are still :

Gregg's proposal and immediate rejection, the Scotch tasting, the "AI" drawing of Matt's shooter, the DeNiro tribute montage (thanks Vic Burger), Tim going completely silent with the VR headset on and then loudly proclaiming "if you guys are talking to me i won't be able to hear you," the Dumbledore predictions, G Amato getting pissed at Big Bird and "the knockout"

goddamn that's some good TV

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love how random tiny things like Big Bird will be planted a year in advance for beautiful payoffs.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
god this poo poo cracks me up

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
The best part of this season was definitely the expanded cast. Joey P could have been a caricature, but the actor was phenomenal and kept it grounded, especially during the Amatocon live performance. And G Amato comes across as such doddering, senile old man that I am genuinely concerned for the health of the actor lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

G Amato excitedly haggling for the movie memorabilia was another highlight

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

The movie sneak peak made it really apparent how far sound effects turn casual assault into a funny gag. Tim beating Mark with the hammer was really funny, but for different reasons.

On another note, I really appreciate how Gregg makes a gag out of these long forgotten Golden Age of Hollywood series like Ma and Pa Kettle. I think it’s gotta be rooted in a sincere love for them. I often think about how the popular things we love today will eventually become lost and forgotten, but it’s a little comforting knowing that there’s a chance that some weirdo will be obsessed with them in 80 years.

JAMOOOL posted:

I do wonder how much of Gregg's weird movie trivia - for example the On Location segments - is actually true. I am guessing a lot of it is just made up but is it *all* or just some?

Gregg has said in a couple interviews that his character is based of himself as a teen. He was really obsessed with old movies and loved all the dumbest bits of trivia about them, so he channeled that into the character. Every time I've looked into something he's said, it's true, so apart from "hey this is probably the cemetery where person x is buried" I believe it. It's just like the Oscar Trivia, you don't have to lie that Mark Wahlberg is a racist piece of poo poo, or that WC Fields was really hard up sometimes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I believed all On Cinema On Location were real. I can't believe I believed it. Until Sunday night when he thought Harry Potter was filmed at Universal Studios. Then I realized it was all a lie.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Tim made a big behind the scenes post on the Office Hours later on. Mark not being available because he is filming for What we do in the Shadows makes the bus thing even funnier as a way to explain his absence.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When they do the wrap up special where they answer fan questions, are people cool? Or are the fans all trying to be funny?

I like in character posts most of the time except people who just painfully don't get it and think they are funny but aren't. But for live events I always find the stream of in universe commentary really obnoxious and unfunny, just people trying to be loud. So I am hoping on the wrap up special which is clearly out of universe, the chat and fans behave normally.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So I am hoping on the wrap up special which is clearly out of universe, the chat and fans behave normally.

lol, your misplaced hope is as funny as gregg's

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

nikosoft posted:

The best part of this season was definitely the expanded cast. Joey P could have been a caricature, but the actor was phenomenal and kept it grounded, especially during the Amatocon live performance. And G Amato comes across as such doddering, senile old man that I am genuinely concerned for the health of the actor lol

Yeah, I love the extended cast. Their performances are so good.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
still chuckling about how all this ominous buildup about the power of mercy, for the entire season really, concludes with a confused old man quoting some shakespeare and singing a hymn. just incredible lol

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

derp posted:

still chuckling about how all this ominous buildup about the power of mercy, for the entire season really, concludes with a confused old man quoting some shakespeare and singing a hymn. just incredible lol

and capping off the night with punishing Tim lmao

No mercy for T Amato and big bird

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

nikosoft posted:

I was expecting Joey P to be a weird Republican Joe Rogan type who would feed into Tim's political takes. It was nice to see them shift gears and have Joey P be the Miami businessman realtor type. He still throws in all the woke agenda stuff every now and then but he seems more corporate than anything. Like the in universe G Amato is trying to make On Cinema a legitimate TV show.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Doltos posted:

I was expecting Joey P to be a weird Republican Joe Rogan type who would feed into Tim's political takes. It was nice to see them shift gears and have Joey P be the Miami businessman realtor type. He still throws in all the woke agenda stuff every now and then but he seems more corporate than anything. Like the in universe G Amato is trying to make On Cinema a legitimate TV show.

Exactly! He could be a stereotypical mobster who did the hit on Matt Newman, or he could just be a guy who likes to play rec softball, vacation in Cabo with his friends, and thinks Godfather II is the best movie of all time.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

his beating of tim was pretty brutal and long lasting for being just a guy/non-mobster but maybe he'd just had enough

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
that was so cathartic man, like, whew, tim is so good at playing an rear end in a top hat hahah. that punch looked real good, too

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Juul-Whip posted:

his beating of tim was pretty brutal and long lasting for being just a guy/non-mobster but maybe he'd just had enough

he fuckin levitated gregg

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
"Over here, you idiot!"

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The Pinocchio scene was way more unsettling but I’ll take Bobby

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The "AI" reveal was one of the top-tier On Cinema moments since, at the very least the switch to the HEI Network. Just an amazing visual done in the perfect moment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like they have given Amato a slightly bigger suit every time you see him so it seems like he's shrinking

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Tim squealing while getting his rear end kicked like its the first time anyone ever called him on his aggressive bullshit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Joey is just lucky Mathieu wasn't there to expose him

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Maybe I missed something during the season but where did "Joey Patron" come from? Joey was really annoyed at being called that, the impression I got was that it was an old nickname he maybe picked up from drunken antics and hates being reminded of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They talked about it a little on episode one

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

cohsae posted:

Maybe I missed something during the season but where did "Joey Patron" come from? Joey was really annoyed at being called that, the impression I got was that it was an old nickname he maybe picked up from drunken antics and hates being reminded of it.

For the same reason that Troy Barnes' nickname when playing football was T-bone. The nickname comes with the name because it just makes sense.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
He said something during the special like 'i don't drink tequila anymore' so there is at least some implied history there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yet he goes to Mexico every year