Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

The FAQ session with the crew was really interesting. If you're into that kind of REAL WORLD stuff (idk if its archived anywhere):

Both the mint eating during scotch tasting and Joe being drunk and belligerent were unscripted ad libs. Tim saw mints on a table and just stuffed a bunch in his pockets during the scene with the product demo booth, and then Joe came up with his own part for the special without telling anyone.

Tim also said that the dodge charger was unscripted in the original interview outside of AmatoCon and they had to convince the car's owner to let them use it for the Oscar special after the fact.

holy poo poo hahaha, this makes it so much better my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That makes me think the mysterious car that was approaching that got waved away by G Amato in episode ten was just a random member of the public trying to get through that parking lot

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

The FAQ session with the crew was really interesting. If you're into that kind of REAL WORLD stuff (idk if its archived anywhere):

Both the mint eating during scotch tasting and Joe being drunk and belligerent were unscripted ad libs. Tim saw mints on a table and just stuffed a bunch in his pockets during the scene with the product demo booth, and then Joe came up with his own part for the special without telling anyone.

Tim also said that the dodge charger was unscripted in the original interview outside of AmatoCon and they had to convince the car's owner to let them use it for the Oscar special after the fact.

drat this is crazy. the last bit in particular seemed core to the story of the show.

where is the faq session located?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I found it! Might be yearly members only? I have no idea who got the email to watch:

https://www.heinetwork.tv/episode/season-14-wrap-party

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i'm a monthly suscriber and i got the email.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got it too, my Gmail often puts HEI emails in the promotions folder though

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Looks like they started using mailchimp but didn't add them to their spf record.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
God, that is so good. Joe E. is a master actor.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Just confirming what we already know: that VHS is the superior format for true buffs:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/04/22/culling-the-kims-video-mother-lode

Naomi Fry posted:

If you go down the escalator in a building on Liberty Street, in the financial district, walk past some pickle-ball courts and an Alamo Drafthouse movie complex that sells truffle popcorn, and then take a few turns in a maze of basement hallways, you will find yourself in a space that might convince you, with its tall stacks of dusty VHS tapes, that the nineties never ended.

The tapes are part of the collection of Kim's Video, the legendary movie-rental store. From the late nineteen-eighties—long before truffle popcorn or pick-leball—to 2009, Kim's offered New York film buffs a catalogue of rare titles. That year, Youngman Kim closed the store's main location, on St. Marks, and more than fifty thousand tapes and DVDs were hastily packed and sent to Sicily, where the mayor of Salemi, a small town with Marfa-esque cultural aspirations, agreed to house them, on Kim's condition that they would be made available to the public. The Salemi Kim's never became fully operational, however, and, after languishing in boxes for a dozen years, the collection made its way back to New York. (The story of how this happened is chronicled in "Kim's Video," a new documentary by David Redmon and Ashley Sabin.) Alamo Drafthouse stored the trove, offering select titles to its customers to borrow for free.

This is when the director and cinematographer Sean Price Williams, who once managed the St. Marks Kim's, got involved. "I would get annoyed thinking about it every night before I went to bed," he said the other day, among the VHS tapes. The Alamo people, he said, "didn't really know what they had in the boxes, and it was just this pop-up thing where they prioritized DVDs. I couldn't have that be the thing that represents Kim's Video." He contacted Alamo and volunteered to cull the tapes for free.

Williams, who is forty-six, is tall and broad, with wavy brown hair. He's shot many American indie movies, including the Safdie brothers' "Good Time" and Alex Ross Perry's "Her Smell," and recently directed a feature, the comic picaresque "The Sweet East." But for the past year and a half he's spent most of his Fridays in the Liberty Street basement, where he goes over the Kim's collection with a rotating cast of friends. In the stacks that day were Nick Pinkerton, a long-haired, bespectacled onetime Kim's clerk who wrote the screenplay for "The Sweet East," and Conor Fay, a fresh-faced youngster who served as a P.A. on the movie.

"I worked at the St. Marks Kim's and Nick worked at the Avenue A one and Conor was, I guess, just getting born," Williams said. "I feel like, when I'm here, I'm doing a job no one else can do as well as me." He laughed. "It's the only time I feel like that in my life!"

He picked up a clutch of tapes. "We're prioritizing VHS, and things that have been discontinued or drifted out of consciousness," he said. "So, if it's, like, a cable-access compilation from the nineties that you can't find anywhere else, we keep it." A tape of the avant-garde chanteuse Diamanda Galas was a yes. So were the snuff-compilation tape "Traces of Death" ("So witless and revolting," Pinkerton said approvingly), a movie by the Austrian performance-art provocateur Valie Export, and a nineties Italian procedural about Pasolini's murder. But there were some nixes, too.

" 'Interview with a Vampire'? Out. 'Saving Private Ryan'? Out." Anime titles were put aside, too. "We know some of this stuff is rare, but none of us give a poo poo about it," he said. "We hope that someone who cares comes by."

"We just don't know any nerds, unfortunately," Pinkerton said. "Only alphas."

Williams was fired from Kim's in 2005. ("Mr. Kim just said it was for 'ethical reasons.' It was out of nowhere. Very hurtful!") Afterward, to retain his cine-philic mojo, he began compiling a list of his thousand favorite movies, using an Excel chart. The entries have shifted over the years as Williams discovers other films that he likes, and the list has recently become a book, titled "1000 Movies," published by Metrograph Editions. Organized by year, it includes such classics as Hitchcock's "Rear Window" and Godard's "Le Mépris" alongside obscurities like Vincent Gallo's unreleased 2010 drama, "Promises Written in Water," and some seeming larks, like the 1987 erotic romp "Emmanuelle 5."

"I don't believe in guilty pleasures," Williams said. "Like, 'I know it's bad, but I love it.' That's a crummy way to think." He went on. "What if 'Emmanuelle 5' isn't bad? If there's enough moments in the movie that really get you, then what else are you looking for?"

He eyed a compilation of Japanese noise music. "When I was seventeen and working in my first video store, the guys who owned it were, like, 'Now that you're dealing with movies all day you're going to stop loving them.' And I just refused to believe that was true," he said. "The more movies I see, the more movies I want to see. I still can't get enough."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Just confirming what we already know: that VHS is the superior format for true buffs:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/04/22/culling-the-kims-video-mother-lode

what kind of “buff” doesn’t seem to know the runtime of any of his favorite popcorn classics?!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm going to see Neil Hamburger tonight (yay!) and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Gregg meeting fans after the show?

I have copy of The Fellowship of the Ring on VHS and I'd really like him to sign it for my collection but I'm worried he might sneer at me.

Also: extremely excited to see Neil Hamburger!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I'm going to see Neil Hamburger tonight (yay!) and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Gregg meeting fans after the show?

I have copy of The Fellowship of the Ring on VHS and I'd really like him to sign it for my collection but I'm worried he might sneer at me.

Nice. Have fun seeing America's Youngest Comedian.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

I have no idea if he'll sign it or not, but if he's in character and sneers at you that's a badge of honor anyway.

I saw Neil Hamburger some years back and I still think about and laugh at my favorite joke he told.

"Why did Eric Clapton stop using Microsoft products and start using Apple? Well, because he had a bad experience with Windows!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another Bill posted:

A lot of people think this is part of The Ring horror series, but it’s actually a prequel to The Hobbit.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Using the VFA numbering standard would that be Hobbit 2P?

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Another Bill posted:

He’ll probably be out of character at the merch table before the show. Get there early if you can.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Crescent Wrench posted:

"Why did Eric Clapton stop using Microsoft products and start using Apple? Well, because he had a bad experience with Windows!"

I'm a big fan of the Cranberry sauce joke myself.

u_s_eh posted:

He’ll probably be out of character at the merch table before the show. Get there early if you can.

ty, he's doing shows at 7pm + 9pm and I'm seeing the 9pm. Maybe I'll scoot up at 6 and see if I can catch him, it's pretty close to my place.

Also: going to see it with 2 superfans and 2 people who have no idea what they're in for lol

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
There's a YouTube video of Neil at a music festival doing 10 minutes on RHCP and it's outstanding.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

I saw Neil Hamburger some years back and I still think about and laugh at my favorite joke he told.

I've seen him twice (once as an opening for Tim and Eric, once on his own) and the two jokes that stick to mind:

Why did Michael Jackson, superstar Michael Jackson, leeeegendary Michael Jackson like that he wound up in hell after he died? All the unbaptized babies!

What did one toilet say to the other toilet? Let's call our band KISS.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Chairman Capone posted:

What did one toilet say to the other toilet? Let's call our band KISS.

fuckin lmao

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lol every time I remember him at the Kennedy Center telling a groaner of a joke even by his standards, the audience booing, and him replying "JFK died for this?!"

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I don't remember the specifics but he had a wonderful appearance on Comedy Bang Bang years ago in which he casually accused Gerald Ford of, I believe, being a pedophile

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Ingmar terdman posted:

Lol every time I remember him at the Kennedy Center telling a groaner of a joke even by his standards, the audience booing, and him replying "JFK died for this?!"

Ahahaha

When I saw him last year, my favorite moment was his response to the Clapton joke groans. I won’t spoil it, but it’s funny because it’s true

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ingmar terdman posted:

I love when a comedian queues up something like this to spin back at the audience, just to prove they're operating a step or two past wherever you are.

Like Tom Lehrer telling the story of "a young necrophiliac who achieved his boyhood ambition of becoming coroner"
Audience: *uncomfortable grumbling and coughing, nervous chuckling*
"...The rest of you can look it up when you get home."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I didn't get my VHS signed but Neil / Gregg was incredible last night. He had the whole crowd eating out of his hand, it was fantastic.

I know the joke is that Neil is terrible but Gregg put on one of the tightest, most professional stand up performances I've ever seen, no joke.

After doing 45mins of material and putting down 3 cocktails, he juggled the mic + plus the three empty lowball glasses to reach inside his tuxedo jacket and pull out two fresh cocktails and start pouring them into one of the empty glasses. I just about fell out of my chair laughing.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Another Bill posted:

I know the joke is that Neil is terrible but Gregg put on one of the tightest, most professional stand up performances I've ever seen, no joke.

He’s a consummate professional across the board. I’ve been ordering stuff from him for years, and he always ships things promptly in good packaging. His discogs inventory is very honest, detailed, and graded conservatively. He’s by far the best seller I’ve dealt with on discogs, and I use it a lot.

One of the things he sent me was protected by a reused Amazon bubble mailer with Hobbit branding on it. I almost kept it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw Neil Hamburger live over a decade ago. The venue was a bar. His opener: “Are there any blacks in the audience? Are there any whites in the audience? Are there any” etc, for a few minutes, getting just about every race out there. And then the punch line ”Well I heard this place served mixed drinks.”

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

u_s_eh posted:

He’s a consummate professional across the board. I’ve been ordering stuff from him for years, and he always ships things promptly in good packaging. His discogs inventory is very honest, detailed, and graded conservatively. He’s by far the best seller I’ve dealt with on discogs, and I use it a lot.

One of the things he sent me was protected by a reused Amazon bubble mailer with Hobbit branding on it. I almost kept it.

Wait. He’s on Discogs? What’s his username?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pappyland posted:

Wait. He’s on Discogs? What’s his username?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

ChesterJT posted:

There's a YouTube video of Neil at a music festival doing 10 minutes on RHCP and it's outstanding.

for me nothing beats Neil telling his Michael Jackson jokes in front of Yoko Ono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUr-l176ZmQ

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Now that’s what you call a tight five.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

for me nothing beats Neil telling his Michael Jackson jokes in front of Yoko Ono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUr-l176ZmQ

The performances in front of crowds that don't know who he is and what they're in for are all so great

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.heinetwork.tv/article/bomshell-indictement-of-amato-group-expected-this-week/

quote:

Posted on April 23, 2024 by Lucas Gibson Brown, Chief Investigator For Hei News and X-Posed
The following is an exclusive report from Lucas Gibson Brown.

According to executives at Hei News Network, Hei Network President Tim Heidecker is expected to officially lunch an official inquiry which will lead to an idictment of several members of The Amato Group in connection with the murder of Matt Newman on February 12th, 2024.

Heidecker claims to have “significant and full proof evidence” witch will indicate the Amato’s as the crimnals behind, not just the murder of Mister Heidecker’s former step son, but also many other criminal deeds which is illegal in this county.

The annoucement and official charging and iditement is expected to take place LIVE on The HEI Network some time tomorrow.

This is a Developing Story.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I pray this leads to another trial where Tim is the prosecutor.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Who is Lucas Gibson Brown supposed to be? I feel like he suddenly came out of nowhere as a character with no real explanation.

Jubs posted:

We already had the trial of G. Lucas!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Joey p hosed up big time when he punched tim, jolting tims brain in such a way as to unlock his latent deductive and reductive potential allowing him to instantly intuit the real murderer of mat neuman, the amato group crime family

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Chairman Capone posted:

We already had the trial of G. Lucas!

Touche.

But I want a sequel. Although Tim wouldn't be allowed to be a prosecutor for a murder trial. But he could for a civil case around not being given the Ford Focus.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jubs posted:

They should do a Judge Joe Estevez show.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Lucas Gibson Brown is the weird ai generated guy who did a report on the special I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got an alert for an Instagram livestream about an hour ago on the Amato indictment. Tim (introducing himself as Tim Heidecker again!) was outside the D.A.'s office trying to get in to deliver docs to incriminate G. Amato and Joey Patron, but couldn't get into the building. It was about a quarter to five on the West coast, and you could see the posted hours on the door had the courthouse closing at 4:30 p.m. He fumbled around for a couple of minutes then the stream ended.