Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Stairmaster posted:

what's up with tims... method of acting on decker? It seemed normalish in the first season but then the second season it got a little weird and i assumed that was because of his head injuries/sleep deprivation but now I'm on s3 and he's still making those faces

His cadence definitely changes, I've always attributed it to Tim's ego becoming inflated as a result of the show getting picked up, so he puts even less effort into remembering his lines.

But really I think real life Tim probably just wanted to lay it on a little thicker to make sure no one would think he believed the awful things he sometimes says as Decker. It's a really great Steven Seagal/wannabe Jack Bauer impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

If folks haven't heard it, Tim reading dialogue from Ben Shapiro's terrible Tom Clancy novel as Jack Decker is amazing. It highlights just how close Decker gets to the real thing with its parody:

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-79-our-values-are-under-attack-feat-tim-heidecker-2617 (it starts at about 50 minutes)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

If folks haven't already seen it, Overnight is a really great documentary about the director of The Boondock Saints, who is a lot like Tim too:

https://imdb.com/title/tt0390336/

He's paranoid, delusional, and gets just enough validation to ensure he never changes his behavior or attitudes.

And since you mentioned it, Tim really ought to get into the whole motivational speaking/real estate coaching scam eventually, it would fit his character perfectly.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

https://youtu.be/ZMIQEWdPaRA

It's Gregg's independent Oscar special made with Mark while Tim was off touring with Dekkar.

The actual story behind it is that Adult Swim didn't give them any money for an Oscar special that year so this is what they threw together last minute. It's got some funny moments but it's definitely not on the level of the other specials.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Imo the ending of the last Oscar Special, with Tim and Dekkar wailing Bohemian Rhapsody while Gregg goes from tape to tape looking at which ones are ruined, is like the best constructed joke in the whole series. It's Tim asserting his absolute control over Gregg in the best way

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Unless they changed it, no. It's not on TV so it's not behind the paywall

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Dracula Factory posted:

The way Tim can talk like a confused idiot and make it seem totally realistic is really impressive.

His standup was also really impressive for this, like stuttering and flubbing his lines more naturally than seems possible. I can't remember where I read it, but I believe he does it so successfully in Decker by having someone hold up the script just off camera, so he can barely read it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I choose to believe that stand-up Tim is the same as On Cinema Tim, I think they line up well enough

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, it's not like they haven't reviewed canceled movies before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUbtFKcf2M

I didn't know this movie hadn't been released, wild. I believe they also reviewed Jupiter Ascending like a year before it was released because it got pushed back the same way.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Another Bill posted:

The other half came from what I can only describe as basement dwelling troll-like superfans. These questions/interactions were extremely cringey but Tim and Eric weren't entertaining any of their bullshit and giving out one word answers, which I also really appreciated and was amused by.

Back in 2012 (I think) I went to a screening of "The Comedy" that had a Q&A with Tim and the director afterwards, and half the questions were just thinly-veiled Awesome Show references. It was deeply, deeply embarrassing. As far as I can tell, Rick Alverson (the director) is a quiet and deeply serious person, which made the questions that much weirder.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Another Bill posted:

Narcissistic self aggrandizing, abuse of all the people around you, running for office as a 3rd party, using shell corporations to hide your assets, money making schemes, weddings, mysterious deaths.... I feel like Tim and Gregg have had the inside track on this story for years.

e: oh, and I also forgot to mention vanity TV talk shows and music careers being used to pursue personal grudges. Empty Bottle is a pale reflection of this reality.
I can't believe I didn't make this connection. On top of everything you've already said, there's also the lawsuit Joe Exotic can't afford without a huge injection of cash and the fire destroying thousands of priceless tapes.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I think the filmmakers were very deliberately making Trump parallels with his run for governor, plus the lady in Florida has big time Hillary Clinton energy. I've still got two episodes to go but so far the only thing the series is missing is some sort of China Connection.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Episode six does have a reference to a rat problem.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Oh the 12th juror is explained, you'll just need to watch things in release order for the full effect

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yeah Mr. America connects some plotlines from the Trial to the latest season and Oscar special so it's worth watching. If you aren't already using this, the On Cinema Timeline will help you know the exact order to watch things:

https://www.oncinematimeline.com

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Five years later, I just "got" the joke in Hog Shots

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

RIP Hermunn https://youtu.be/e1D0quttOeY

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I thought for sure it had to be a faked death for insurance money type of scenario, because I couldn't believe it would go that dark either

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Anybody got a Parler account?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I went to a screening of The Comedy that had a live Q&A with Tim and Rick Alverson afterwards, and about half the questions were just people repeating their favorite lines from Awesome Show. Also some laughter at parts of the movie that definitely weren't meant to be funny. It was really uncomfortable

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1348645847626608641

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

In case there was any doubt, there will be an Oscar Special this year

https://mobile.twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1371474793996820483

Bonus:

https://www.heinetwork.tv/vfa-continues-to-dissapoint.php

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

$42 a year is less than the Patreon was. The show might be cheap to produce relative to some other things but they've got a real crew, presumably being paid union scale, so it's probably still pretty expensive. Plus the Oscar Special is more or less feature length

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Another Bill posted:

It's hard to pick a favorite but this is a top 5 OCU (On Cinema Universe) laugh for me.

Mark playing Tim playing Decker is definitely one of the best bits in the whole show, and probably one of the most opaque. I can't even imagine how inscrutable it must be if you haven't watched the show from the beginning, but presumably there are people who have only seen Decker because it's on TV and don't understand half the premise

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

robot roll call posted:

I love Tim pointing out that it would have worked if he spelled it correctly

They spell it both ways and it would have worked if Tim hadn't sabotaged it and talked over it drunkenly

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wait can we subscribe via Patreon rather than Hei? Cause I'd prefer Patreon I already have all my info in there

I stopped subscribing to the Patreon months ago because there hadn't been any updates or monthly podcast episodes in a very long time. I don't think being a subscriber there grants access going forward and I'm not sure why they don't just close it (probably because they're still making money on it)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The annulment and remarriage definitely took care of a prenup.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

They did actually have plans for NFTs but people told them about the bad environmental effects associated with them and they decided not to

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

huh posted:

Down to 1,750 watching Our Cinema now.

It's at about 2,200 now, which is 2,183 more than the 17 subscribers the sHEIster Network has. People want real expertise and real movies, movies like Affairs of Cappy Ricks (1937, 61 minutes)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

This song is an instant classic

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Oh my god Tim is doing Greg Gutfeld

e:f;b

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao there's a chili pot at the shake stand.

That's a four alarm spicy savory shake

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Hot & hard peppermint potato chowder is like scotchka, something I will eventually talk myself into trying

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I'm losing it at Joe just credulously watching Gregg's insane predictions

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

These videos have Vic Berger's fingerprints all over them

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Honestly impressed by Manuel and Ax's ability to not crack

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Tim is definitely going to sue Toni

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

They did try to work some recaps into the previous season via cutaways when they referenced things, but you can only get so far with how much material there has been over the years. There are a lot of throwaway jokes that would go over the head of an outsider, but I also think a lot of it could be picked up midstream ok. My wife has only watched a few episodes, plus one Oscar special and Mister America but we went to a live show and she thought it was funny. Last night when I was watching she stepped in a few times and figured out what was going on quickly enough. For the most part it's just two guys fighting, and you can tell within a few minutes what their various pathologies are

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The little walk-on music that plays when Tim introduces Axiom is great. I really have the sense that the extra money this year helped them flesh the special out with little things like that.

Also the clip from the rehearsal was removed, what was the deal with Pastor Lewis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Wow that's some method acting