Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I've just started the series from the beginning with my girlfriend. Midway through Season One and enjoying it so far, but excited for all the world-building everyone talks about to start coming into fruition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Dracula Factory posted:

One of my favorite things about the show is how nice most of the side characters are, they really want to help tim & gregg succeed despite everything. It helps sell how consistently lovely they are, even the weirdest around them are usually much more well meaning than either of the two.

Yeah, though they're also generally people who are easy to take advantage of. Mark has always been a step off, Ayaka was young and didn't have a great grasp on English, also very worried for Wendy Kerby given how naive but scared she always looks. Axiom, Manuel and Joe are all kinda just doofuses though who mean the best and have misplaced faith in Tim, but something like Axiom giving Tim his hand just sorta strikes me as someone too deep into a cult-like abusive relationship to say no.

Toni is presented to us as pretty terrible upfront though now obviously is having a moment to grow. Dr. San always had sinister grifter vibes. Who knows what the gently caress is up with LaRue.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah for sure, though I think LaRue likes to fancy himself that he's a talented investigator. Though Dr. San did also seem to believe in what he was selling too. I think that's one of the hallmarks of the show: Everyone genuinely believes in what they're doing, even if it's fleeting.

Tim, in all his narcissism, really does believe he's building an empire and every new venture he starts up he is steadfastly convinced is worth doing and will be the thing that makes it big for him. Just like he truly believes Dr. San's vapes are good for him, that RJ's shakes are making him healthy, that he really is innocent and did not kill all those kids.

Gregg entirely believes he's a film expert and even when he's wrong convinces himself he's right. Axiom and Manuel truly believe they're going to be big rock stars. Joe Estevez often seems unsure of himself but he's willing to give anything a try, including being a CFO.

That's really the glue of the show. Everyone is incompetent, Tim and Gregg are vile narcissists, nothing they do will ever succeed, but in the core of their being they believe all of it.

edit: It's honestly strange how much Tim is a perfect image of Lowtax.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Before the 2020 Oscar Special I would say that Gregg was at least the most harmless one.

Even after what he did to Mark while he was in the coma?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I feel like whatever happens Gregg is gonna pull a last minute points dumb, maybe by convincing a kind but neutral party like Joe Estevez to support him, which is gonna lead Tim to scream about the rigged election and refuse to greenlight Popcorn Shuffle until we can figure out what is going on.

Given his relationship with Axiom is still on the rocks (probably worse now given events with Toni) I feel like he’s gonna skip Rock House and default to either Xposed or Mark’s show given they’re both in his good graces currently.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

wuggles posted:

2. Tim really only having one idea for a song and just making that song over and over

Which, if you'll remember from The Trial, Axiom wrote.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Please tell there will be an actual real feature length Deck of Cards movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So wait, is Amato actually responsible for Matt’s murder? What’s the connection?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

That DICK! posted:

my complaint is almost the opposite, it feels like they want to have longrunning plots with payoff but it doesn't seem like they have strong ideas about what to do and it all just takes so looong now. Tim had a baby one season, it died the next, and two seasons later he was on trial for murdering 20 EDM festival goers in a desert. ah well. love da show

Well that’s kinda the point. They’ve been doing this the whole time — Tim gets interested in something only to immediately move on from it. It’s more like a cartoon where everything can just reset whenever the joke wears thin. That’s what’s brilliant about it. It’s more about watching a fake gutter display get cleaned and Big Bird showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

They’ve always had a tendency to just drop information very lightly without drawing too much attention to it. I mean people picked up on Toni going off the wagon tonight too, but it’s not like they made a huge deal of it. But it’s a subtle touch if you remember her character arch and realize what this means.