Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The only downside to On Cinema is that once a year someone will ask if I want to make plans on sunday, and I’ll have to sheepishly say that I’m going to be busy, the oscars are on.

I do enjoy being reminded of past oscar nominees/winners when I watch the old ones, though. How else could I remember that Les Mis was nominated for like 50 oscars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I have "plans" and "stuff to do" so I can't watch the oscars like god intended till next weekend, but I want to wish everyone a good time, and for all the actors to win oscar gold.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Emergency Deck of Cards Announcement

Not sure when it’ll be released yet, but it seems like pretty soon.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It is really funny to do an AMA on Deck of Cards, just to answer every question with “I don’t know anymore, Tim took it away from me so I haven’t seen the final cut.”

I’m bummed I can’t see the movie on release this friday, obligations suck.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The breakout star from Deck of Cards, the Queen of Hearts, was also in the seventh oscar special and a 2017 short called Queen of Hearts. Just a little trivia I thought was fun.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Beckett exploded during the pandemic I hear, all the people looking to get their trading cards valued. Really funny to imagine people paying top dollar for a junky vhs of sleepless in seattle because the box is pristine.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Gregg is an actor, Tim has to read his name wrong on occasion.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I am dead serious when I say that having a case of pineapple juice to awkwardly hold while sitting in those high seated chairs is the peak of physical comedy.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
74?! Barely time to get relaxed and switch to the second bag before the lights come up. The Godzilla bullying PSA was almost that long and it’s 40% made of previous movies.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Tims pants are so tight, I hate looking at them.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The way she started the season as a generally empathetic and polite person who has moved now to siding with tim about how gregg is lying & specifically defending him despite the repulsive rotten egg vomit inducing lithium water is great. I really love the small tells that the show relies on to get across how all the other characters feel when tim and gregg are having a shouting match. It’s faith in the actors and audience, and it works.

I also think that tim may actually be a placed on this earth by the devil to ruin and despoil everything he touches like a sludge demon.

e: open twitter and I see this

https://twitter.com/womanrespecter/status/1598358979880558592?s=21&t=AwMqSnwCb0EjTU2HaikmxA

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The two movies that really star Tim and Gregg, The Comedy (95 min) and Entertainment (103 min), are both great. Both men are very capable actors and it shines in those movies.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The Comedy is watching a man learn that there’s more to life than workshopping jokes at 2am with your buddies when you’re well into your 30’s. He learns this through a series of scenes so painful that you actually want to jump into the TV and fight him till his glowing core is exposed and you can hit him for double damage with truths like “the deep yearning for connection you have can only be filled by giving the most fragile parts of yourself to others.”

The ending is either incredibly touching and hopeful or upsetting but hopeful, depending on how morose I feel on a given day.

The pacing is a little off at parts too, but if you like “Tim Heidecker explores a particular kind of lovely guy for 90 minutes” you’ll probably enjoy it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Why would he want alcohol when he has all these great movies?

https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1634775590220992513

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I wanted to drop this into the thread for posterity before we are all changed by the tenth annual oscar special

https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1634973141507391488

I'll see you fellas on the other side, semper movies.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

The mystery of who is G. Amato is something they have really let sit undeveloped for a long time. Mafia? Manuel's rich uncle? Grandfather of a desert sun 11 victim? Maybe he's poisoning Tim for some twisted revenge.

The first time they made a point of calling him G. Amato I decided his first name was Greg, not Giovanni or anything. Before seeing how he acted during this oscar special, I thought he was just in it for the lithium but now I’m starting to believe he needs a replacement for Chris.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Gregg loves re-enacting and improving upon the classics. Roundhay Garden is a natural choice for someone with as much directing experience as him.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If they made another special this year and it was an hour of Gregg and Kaili talking movies I would watch it on repeat for an entire day. The two constantly bouncing between pop culture segments you hear at the gas station and the most insipid oscar trivia, it would make me so happy.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah he mentions his wife and kid a couple times in S1 before and during the time Ayaka is on the show. I was thinking about them because of the reunion during the most recent oscar special, I hope his first family is happy and healthy away from Tim.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, he does some light goldbug-ing on the podcast then there’s one episode like you say that’s just out of left field. The podcast has my favorite kind of joke, a ‘best of’ episode when you only have like 5 episodes so far.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Just listen to them all, each one is pretty short and it’s great to hear them argue about the wrath of khan.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Sorry to be just posting a tweet, but I think these pictures make it worthwhile.

https://twitter.com/Nateorious10/status/1658275450848952321

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Got around to watching the VFA tour tonight & it's great, I easily tripled my knowledge about one of hollywood's most numerous movie series.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
In light of recent events, I hope that Gregg reconciles with Tom Cruise for being the second biggest fan of going to the movies and eating popcorn in Hollywood.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I can't believe Mark lost his cell phone, how will they be able to film baboon without him?

The strike just means they need to get the approval from WGA and SAG before filming, and I think in years past they've been waiting till the season is almost started before announcing? So, I'm not really worried about it, even if there isn't a season this year OC has survived some pretty crappy turn of events.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
For those that don't follow Tim on Twitter, he has been spending most of 2023 doing a longform joke about the proliferation of Clint Eastwood fan accounts. There's several accounts that are named things like "Clint Official Eastwood" that would add watermarks to pictures of Clint walking down the street on a day off, or getting water at some event. So, the Tim Heidecker account has been doing the same for candids of Tim. I don't think they expected twitter to last this long, considering it feels like the whole place is falling apart.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
That's true, I knew it was Phil but didn't know what all was going on there, thanks for filling in the details for me.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Cheen posted:

can anyone name a single friend gregg has lol

mark porch.

He was also a friend to Ayaka and a few other people earlier in the series, helping them when Tim would cause serious problems. I actually really like when he's genuine and helpful to people out of concern, it's just that he's so obsessed with being a movie expert that he's a lovely friend.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, they used to shoot a season over two days, a month or more before the first episode came out. They just look at the trailer and synopsis & decide what they want to say.

The grimace Joseph has when Gregg is talking about movies is so fun, he might have what it takes to be a co-host with Tim.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
That’s probably why Joey has been giving them bad reviews. Who ever heard of giving something 1.5 stars(1.875 bags)?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Audax posted:

My wife asked me what the Pep Boys movie will based on.
I said its about the car shop place.
She said "Oh. How are they going to fit the baboons in that one?"
I said, "Haven't you ever heard of a wrench monkey?"

lol, if nobody says “wrench baboons” I’ll eat my hat

Data Graham posted:

Yeah for real, the more you think about the concept the more disturbing it gets

We’re going to see G. Amato confess to murdering Kaili’s husband & asking her for mercy, then when she stammers an “ok” he will become so powerful he ascends to godhood (has a stroke).

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

Tried to listen to the podcast on apple and spotify and there's a weird audio bug where you only hear a buzzing sound. Unless it's the new meta.

(I'm not a HEI member, sorry guys).

On one hand, that sucks. On the other hand, it's better than the podcast.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

JAMOOOL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/@dekkarofficial/videos

if you scroll down you'll see some 7 year old videos that look like Italian Kidz Bop, but I get the "video is not available in your country" message when I try to click them. however the video itself is running almost as if that message is the actual video itself? idk if that's how YouTube actually works

The videos are all from a couple days before empty bottle was uploaded, so I assumed it was just Kayfabe that they repurposed A&M's old youtube channel or something. I couldn't figure out a way to see if the channel used to have a different name, but that would be fun.

e: but to answer your question no, youtube doesn't work that way. So they uploaded the videos with the only video being the still image, and chose a thumbnail to make it look like kidz bop italia.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 1, 2024

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

cohsae posted:

Think I missed something but what was Joey referring to when he mentioned the "extra workload" due to someone's actions? Was it referring to Gregg spending the money or something else? It was a very ominous comment

I had assumed Joey was working in the warehouse with T. Amato and picking up the slack from T. not doing any actual work. But I think we’re just supposed to speculate right now - nothing concrete. Maybe he’s covering shifts because Tim is on the pep boys set all day?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It is endlessly funny to me that when he needs to be a hater, Tim will pull out proper knowledge of music theory. It's less of a thing this time, but he still was quick to say that Ride with the Devil sounded like generic pop on the radio. There was an oscar special or something where he ripped into someone for their chord progression.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Doltos posted:

I love the moments of clarity Tim has where he's competent and smart. It'd be great to see a prequel of On Cinema before Tim's tumors made him insane

It's no- it's not a tumor.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

What we know about Tim at the start of the show:

- He's on his second marriage but his wife is apparently trying to kill him
- He has a son from his previous marriage he doesn't have a relationship with

I think that might be it?

He's a goldbug at the end of the podcast for like one episode because of the 2012 election. After a bunch of episodes that are 70 seconds of "hey we watched a movie it was good" it lands perfectly.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I gotta say, I have a deep reapect for Matt after all this. He spent months tricking Tim into thinking Dr. San was contacting him from beyond the veil AND he won’t get caught slacking, even at home. I hope he pulls through and isn’t smothered in his hospital bed live during the oscar special.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
https://x.com/axiaofficial/status/1761776729004143014

Amazing.... Love Ax and Manuel...

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
We thought kids today would be movie experts by the age of 10 because of netflix and the apps, but without someone to curate that experience they’re gorging on low-runtime movies that often have lots of musical numbers as filler. It’s very sad to see, but I think I was more movie knowledgeable as a child than most children today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Soooo happy Robert Hoe III got a birthday shoutout this year, I was worried they would pass him by.