Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’ve been doing a full rewatch since I have a six week old at home and not much to do when he’s asleep. I notice so much on the rewatch, including little jokes and arcs I’d forgotten. Absolutely one of the all time greatest comedy projects.

It occurs to me that part of OCATC’s success is its timing. Tim is doing an incredibly detailed and nuanced satire of a specific type of right-wing nut job: cruel and greedy and arrogant, yes, but also breathtakingly shameless and tasteless. Tim’s utter lack of taste and his complete absence of shame are, if anything, much more salient character traits than his overall callousness and sudden, volcanic bouts of anger.

This type of guy really rose to national prominence in 2015 not just with Trump himself but also with the archetypal trump supporter, the wealthy non-college-white car dealership owner type. It’s all there, right down to the skepticism of modern medicine and the obsession with 80s-00s pop culture icons. The satire came along just before its objects rose to national prominence. That’s one reason I really love Terri Parks as Toni; besides Tim himself, she’s the best on the show at that specific kind of satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Question for my rewatch: is the Gregg stream of the 8th Oscar Special essential? I watched it up until Tim called him but I’m not sure if it adds much once they’re in the same place. If it doesn’t I’d rather save the two hours.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

as previously mentioned itt I have a new baby at home and every time we do tummy time I’m finding it impossible not to say “it’s tummy time!” in the Gregg voice. It is too late for me.

I’m pretty much caught up except for the podcast episodes and Mr. America, neither of which really interests me. Can’t wait for Season 14.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Turkington has described Gregg as someone in “self imposed exile from reality.” it’s not that he doesn’t care about errors, it’s that he doesn’t notice them. he’s the world’s biggest film expert and everything he does has to be right, so if it looks wrong, it’s really just right in a different way.

he looks at stuff like the deck of cards trailer and genuinely believes “this is better than any movie released this year and will win 10 Oscers.”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Well not after Tim ruined it with JJ Deniker which NOBODY wants to see

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

No kidding! You haven't lived until you're in a full venue doing the "everyone get down and whisper and slowly get up and sing louder" thing from "Shout," except the song is "Hot Piss."

I also picked up the On Cinema Reader book (https://www.dragcity.com/products/brandan-kearney-s-on-cinema-at-the-cinema-reader-vol-1-2010-2018), which, just flipping through it, is going to be a gem. Even the INDEX was funny.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

every season Tim’s mission is to make himself look as off putting as possible. This season he looks like a college professor being investigated for an inappropriate relationship with a student

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Tim is one of the best Trump parodists because he’s not imitating Trump’s mannerisms but his mindset, and that of his supporters, which is harder to do but more funny

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dagestani Tim is one of the best and most underrated Tim looks imho

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I can't wait for Joey's four hour real estate seminar.

also:

edit:
theres a guy in the comments section who has made 261 posts calling gregg a pedo and they're probably going to have to make a moderation system...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Just confirming what we already know: that VHS is the superior format for true buffs:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/04/22/culling-the-kims-video-mother-lode

what kind of “buff” doesn’t seem to know the runtime of any of his favorite popcorn classics?!