Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

On Cinema At The Cinema is a movie review show hosted by Tim Heidecker and his co-host guest Gregg Turkington. On Cinema takes the form of a classic movie review show in the vein of At The Movies but tells a meta-narrative revolving around Tim's narcissism and Gregg's total lack of care for anything that isn't movies. Each episode is roughly ten minutes wherein they "review" two movies and sometimes a Popcorn Classic. On Cinema has lasted 11 seasons and spawned a veritable universe with it's own deep lore and a veritable cast of characters, most of who enable Tim's awful behavior.

Here's a quick guide to the On Cinema universe:

On Cinema at the Cinema

This is the main show. Tim and Gregg try to review at least two movies and a popcorn classic from Gregg's impressive VHS collection. Their "reviews" are barely surface level, where it's obvious if not stated that Tim didn't even watch the movie. Movies get rated on a strict scale of 1-5 bags of popcorn. Popcorn Classics are usually junk movies, forgotten to time. He always manages to pick something just mediocre enough to be rightfully forgotten to time.

Oscar Specials
Every year they do a live Oscar special. I haven't got to watching these yet.

Decker

One of Tim's many vanity projects. An amalgam of shows like 24 and CBS style procedurals but with a shoestring budget and awful production value. TIm plays Decker, a CIA agent who doesn't take poo poo from the president, fights Al-Qaeda, and sings about how America is losing it's values. Gregg plays Kington, the CIA's greatest code breaker and film buff. Seasons 1-3 can be watched on Youtube, with the rest on Adult Swim's website.

DeKKar
Tim's vanity alt rock band.

DKR
The electronic version of DeKKar. I don't even wanna post the Empty Bottle remix.

The Trial of Tim Heidecker
In 2017, Tim went on trial for the deaths of 20 people. For this, Adult Swim financed a 5 hour honest to God mock murder trial. Adult Swim's youtube page has highlights, or you could watch the entire trial. I'd recommend watching it in bits.

Mr. America
A recently released documentary about Tim's failed run for District Attorney.

Where do I start?
There is a site that documents the entire timeline if you want to follow it. Otherwise, I'd recommend watching this 12 hour compilation of seasons 1-8 at your own pace.

But Detective, I hate Tim and Eric's humor. Will I like On Cinema?
Maybe? On Cinema is nothing like Tim and Eric Awesome Show. In fact, Eric Wareheim doesn't show up at all. The humor relies more on getting to know Tim and Gregg's personalities, quirks, and the extended cast. I could sit here all day and post about all the running gags, but I figure that'll naturally happen throughout the thread. Tim is extremely narcissistic, prone to getting scammed by alternative medicine, and going on poorly thought out right talking points. Gregg loves movies to the exclusion of having his own life and personality. He gets really annoyed at Tim when he's not focusing on movies. He's very apolitical because the only thing he even wants to have an opinion is cinema.

Despite being a long time Tim and Eric fan, I hadn't started watching On Cinema until watching the trial a couple months ago. It was hilarious, but now I regret watching it before familiarizing myself with On Cinema, I missed out on so many jokes and references. I rate the series 5 bags of popcorn.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't listened to the podcast yet. I've barely got time for the podcasts I've been listening to these days. I got a new job and haven't had the idle listening time I had in my previous one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hey guys, a new episode came out today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgPsYWyZCgc

Midway & Arctic Dogs.

Midway:
Tim's Rating Five bags of popcorn.
Gregg's rating [spoiler]Five bags of popcorn and a stopwatch

Arctic Dogs
Tim's rating Five bags of popcorn
Gregg's rating Five bags of popcorn and some white tape.

Gregg does make a good observation with the weird recent trend in snow themed animated movies. I'm guessing this was kicked off by Frozen's success.

They found a way to make Empty Bottle even worse. :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the biggest chortles I got was in one of the VR episodes during Gregg's pre-recorded popcorn classics and I rotated the camera 180 degrees and there was Mark laying there in the hospital bed.

He's so good in What We Do In The Shadows.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone needs to make an emoticon of Gregg saying Hey Guys! in the style of :darksouls:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's great when he gets a person's name right for one movie and then fucks their name up when they're in another movie a few episodes later.

"Colin Filth"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was hoping they'd review Ant Man and The Wasp because Tim is in it. Maybe they addressed it in that year's Oscar special.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gregg is also politically pathetic. He's apolitical but will gladly swallow a D'Souza movie once he realizes it's not a documentary. His "apolitical" nature makes him even more toothless of a critic. Speaking of documentaries, his refusal to watch them is also hilariously eye rolling.

God bless Joe Estavez.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If I had more time, I'd love to do a podcast reviewing all the popcorn classics.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Technically not a murderer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE0pBci6wVY

Tim is hosed.

Gregg so wants legitimacy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's more specifically, The Hobbit. And it was one of the few things that both Tim and Gregg loved. That trilogy's overall reputation makes that gag great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't even realize there was another On Cinema thread. Aw well, having one in here is fine too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think he cared for her and TCH too. It's pretty apparent with that one photo at her company picnic. He definitely cared more than Tim.

Of course he seemed super annoyed at them when they cut into his movie watching time.

I just saw the newest episode. Tim clearly married Toni as some kind of scheme to transfer his debt to her. What a piece of poo poo.
How long does it take for a new season to start?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What month do you expect it to return, based on last year?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neil Hamburger too! They're gonna be in my town around the same week. I'm excited.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mister America is available to rent digitally.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The name mispronunciation gag is so much stronger in the later seasons when Tim is in full on 80s grifter businessman mode.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This airs in an hour!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tim's YouTube page.
https://www.youtube.com/user/theidecker

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I listened to about half of it. I'm not too into the audio stuff. (got so much to listen to as it is.)

I gathered that Mark is alive but missing, possibly wandering the streets of LA as a homeless person.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finally have a reason to be exciting for the Oscars.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If I jumped off that bridge I'D HAVE GONE TO HELL!!! WHICH IS WHERE YOUR PIECE OF poo poo SON IS DELGADO

Tim has perfected dead son humor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never noticed they spelled it with an e.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched through the trial when I was working at my job at a court. But yeah, the jury selection alone for a trial of that magnitude would take weeks.

I worked in the court reporting (stenographers) office department as an office admin. It's been a while, but I noticed the court reporter typing at certain points when a real one wouldn't. It was kinda neat to notice that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Oscar Special will be streaming on the Adult Swim app. Do you need an active cable subscription to watch it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cool. I just downloaded and explored the Adult Swim app. There's a ton of content on there. We're living in times of overwhelming media. Gregg's VHS tape obsession is starting to make sense.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We are live!

Edit: I'm not quite sure.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it on the main AS stream?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cool. I thought it was on Channel 5 but that was last year's special.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy poo poo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Of course the money lender he's trying to investigate is Money Zap.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Best that you can do

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What is Tim's endgame here?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That montage was not a movie so I don't care.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Banished to the car.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tim is a terrifying man.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tim would absolutely be into prosperity gospel.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RIP Dudley Moore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is deranged.