Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Welcome everyone to the Poem Dome! A thread for folks to test their lyrical, metaphorical, and evocative wordsmithing and hone their skills in a safe environment.

How to play:

1. The winner of the previous round is the judge.

2. The judge picks a poetry prompt and format. This can be pretty much whatever the judge would like. This prompt will include a deadline to declare participation and a deadline for final submission.

3. Participants declare that they want to participate by posting “I shall participate, good sir and/or madame!” by the participation deadline. People can also volunteer to be one of two backup judges at this time.

4. Participants submit a piece by the submission deadline (usually two weeks after the participation deadline). Their submissions can be whatever they'd like as long as it meets the requirements of the prompt and doesn't break the rules below.

5. The judges will now have up to a week after the submission deadline to review your work, provide critiques to the participants, and pick a winner. (Dis)Honorable Mentions may also be handed out as the judges see fit. THE MAIN JUDGE'S CHOICE OF WINNER IS FINAL!

6. The winner is now the judge and creates a new prompt within 24 hours.

The Rules:

1. The poetry you post must be your own. Stealing other people's work is a real dick move and may result in mod action and/or me PMing swears at you.

2. The poetry you post must be made for the purpose of this contest. If you want a critique of something you've already made consider making a new thread along with a request for a critique.

3. Ghosting on a submission or a critique by the deadline will make people angry. If you have trouble with this consider :toxx:ing yourself for added motivation.

4. Don't include explanations or excuses with your work. Posting how much you think your work sucks is annoying and won't help you get a kinder critique. Besides, even if you do suck you're still far better than all the people too cowardly to participate in the first place and we respect that.

5. Do not argue with the judges about their critique of your work. You can ask for clarity if you'd like but generally the best practice is to just thank them for their time and effort and move on.

6. Critiques should be frank and honest but also polite and constructive. You should never use a critique as an excuse to personally attack someone.

7. Do NOT edit your work after submitting it! Once you post your submission you're done so make sure you fix any issues with your work before taking it public.

8. Be careful with hurtful topics like abuse or violence please. We're here to challenge ourselves and that means working with our own unique creations. However, some themes don’t play well with others. If you’d like to use a potentially offensive or triggering topic please be careful and perhaps PM a mod ahead of time.

9. No erotic material and/or weird fetish BS. This is not me judging you, your sexuality, or your subculture. I simply find sex terrifying and icky and am not ready to leave my comfort bubble at this time. TIA for your understanding.

10. All other forum rules still apply.

I have high hopes for this thread, as evidenced by it's "I want to believe" tag. I :toxx: that I will either judge for or participate in every contest until July 2020. Please come participate and improve (hopefully) your poetry chops!

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
FAQ:

What do I get if I win?
Currently, nothing. It’s slim pickins in the Poem Dome. Eventually if there’s enough participation/interest we might be able to sweet talk Seb into doing something fancy like a gang tag or av. As it is I'm on a bus to Sebmojo's house to become an indentured servant in exchange for sticky-ing the thread.

That said, I will be sponsoring the first two rounds! I, SephiRoth IRA, will personally buy the first two winners a forums upgrade of their choice or will donate $10 to their favorite charity!

Does something happen if I lose?

Nope! The weakest poem might get called out depending on how participants want the game to work; if you want to participate and have some strong opinions, post in the thread or PM me!

The judge picked that lovely poem just because it had a cat in it!

Like art in general, poetry is extremely subjective. Some judges might hate prose poetry with the heat of a white star, while other might love cats. Poetry is especially slippery with regards to what makes a poem “objectively” good. Expect judging to be capricious and whimsical.

How do I get my poem into the computer?

If you have ideas to use fancy typesetting and line breaks or fonts, feel free to scan a picture of your poem! Otherwise typing right into the forums works well. Avoid using tags as it might make inline critiques more difficult.

Are we only allowed to talk about the contest?

You can talk about whatever you'd like but ONLY if you've participated in at least one contest (again, general forum rules apply).

Is smack-talk allowed?

Hell yes. Just be prepared to back up your words with more, better words.

Can I challenge somebody to a one-on-one duel?

Sure, why not. They don't necessarily have to accept your challenge though.

(more to be added as needed)

(All of this was shamefully stolen from readingatwork)

CHALLENGE 1: Haikus!

I’ll start things off by making the first prompt and acting as the first judge.

Haiku is an ancient form of poetry that originated in Japan in the thirteenth century. Over time, the haiku format has evolved from its relatively rigid origins into a somewhat flexible exercise in exploring a single, powerful image in an efficient manner. Taken from poetry.org:

quote:

...the philosophy of haiku has been preserved: the focus on a brief moment in time; a use of provocative, colorful images; an ability to be read in one breath; and a sense of sudden enlightenment.

Haikus frequently are meditations in natural imagery and have a seasonal aspect, although in modern times haikus can be about anything. English language haiku has historically been formatted as three un-rhymed lines following a 5-7-5 syllable count, but modern poets feel haiku is defined by its succinct imagery and is inadequately captured in a rigid syllable count.

Some haiku examples, in English or translated from Japanese

quote:

this piercing cold –
in the bedroom, I have stepped
on my dead wife’s comb
- Yosa Buson

This Autumn midnight
Orion’s at my window
shouting for his dog.
-Carol A. Coiffait

The Prompt:

Write a haiku of one to five stanzas. You do not need to follow the 5-7-5 format. You must use one or more of the following themes or settings:

1. Convey the idea of “depth”
2. This photo
3. Castles
4. Ink
:siren::siren:if you think these prompts suck post about it and maybe we can make it more dynamic and cool!:siren::siren:
Signup Deadline: Monday Nov 18 @ 11:59PM PT

Submission Deadline: Wednesday Nov 20 @ 11:59 PT

As mentioned in the FAQ, I will be sponsoring the first two challenges. The winners will receive a forum upgrade or can have me donate to a charity of their choosing.

If you’d like to help judge, shoot me a PM or post here!

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 13, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Challenge 1: Haiku - Poet Warriors
1. SlipUp
2. Meinberg
3. Elentor
4. lofi
5. sebmojo
6. Antivehicular
7. flerp
8. Saucy_Rodent
9. Armack
10. Thranguy
11. steeltoedsneakers
12. Jon Joe
13. GenJoe
14. Djeser
15. talusfood
16. Entenzahn

The Avatars of Basho Matsuo (Judges)
1. SephiRoth IRA
2. Weltlich (thank you!)

Thirty posts all say
to turn on my monitor.
A dead, gay forum.

Eight lines are hidden
in a picture of a cat.
I think this is loss?

Elasticity!
I am very impressed.
Did you see the ring?

I post here too much.
I will die in a basement.
My stairs won’t protect me.

Over a keyboard,
a man blubbers as he types;
so many shitposts.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 18, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Participants, if you would please post your chosen prompt(s) to help the judges evaluate your poem more effectively, we would appreciate it. Thank you!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
You’re welcome to post additional poems but only the first will be used in the contest.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
The clock ticks loudly.
I smash it into pieces.
The seconds still pass.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Paging GenJoe to the thread (you got time, though)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Poem Dome INAUGURAL CHALLENGE: HAIKU

Excellent participation from everyone! Everyone stretched their poetry muscles and laid down some sick haiku action. I'm pleased with the entries and I hope you all found it a fun exercise. After much debate, your resident judges Weltlich and myself have come up with the results.

Your winner.... Armack - In my Grandfather’s Living Room!!!!! A wonderful, moving poem that stayed true to the philosophy of haiku.

Lofi earns an HM for what was a nice haiku paired with a beautiful presentation. I had Armack winning only by a hair because of the emotional impact of their poem.

Jon Joe eats a DM for an extremely pumpkin spice set of haikus.

Your loser.... Talusfood - Untitled. See me after class, Talusfood.

:siren: Armack, please get in touch for your forum upgrade or donation to charity (one of these makes you a better person, btw, but no pressure).

:siren::siren:Also please post a new prompt (and choose a form, if you so desire) in the next 24 hours.

I will be aiding in judging this second round as well, since I'm still providing prizes, but if anyone is interested in guest judging future rounds, please PM me!

I will post more detailed crits momentarily.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Saucy_Rodent - digging through old photo albums after the funeral (prompt: photo)
A poem about loss, and the transient quality of human life. I liked the first stanza, especially the repetition linking the second line to the third. Solid capture of a moment of aching, longing.
Second stanza is much weaker, imo, just because “artly statued smiles” doesn’t do if for me. I get where you were going, but it loses its lyrical qualities with that line. This could be tuned up into something very nice.
7/15

Elentor – Untitled (prompt: photo)
Not sure where you were going with this. Possibly a meta commentary on Epstein’s suicide? I kid. I think you touch on an interesting idea, asking questions about people who die who aren’t on the public radar (or even those who don’t merit a police investigation or have people who look for them). I’m not sure if that’s what you were going for, though. “Pixel hunt” is lost on me, and it seems really disconnected from the rest of the haiku.
6/15

Jon Joe – Depth Displayed (prompt: depth)
The live, laugh, love of haiku. The imagery on the whole is pretty meh. Structurally, I like the consonance between the “L-” words you use to start each stanza. It lends a musical quality to the whole poem. “Shaking of my body”, “moment of my life”, all of those are not impactful. Missed opportunity to come at me with more specific imagery really capturing a moment. As it is, I could see your poem on a plaque in a middle-class white lady’s house somewhere.
5/15 - DM

Lofi – Ink (prompt: ink)
Ugh, I am so torn on this one. The presentation is beautiful, a literal love poem to ink. As an art piece, it’s wonderful. I really liked it.
(FYI, in this next bit, I’m judging you extra harshly because of how pretty the setup was.)
In order to evaluate your poem, however, I wrote it out on paper, and I think it’s stronger with the image than without, which dings you a little bit. You wasted a word with “and” in the third line- you didn’t need a linker word, it was inefficient. That was one more word you could have used to make your love more impactful. All in all, a very nice haiku.
12/15 - HM

flerp – Untitled (prompt: depth)
Tidy, with layered depth references (as long as you know what lives at the bottom of the ocean). I liked your imagery, but the poem on the whole lacks a lyrical quality that makes a great haiku. “Below” is a wasted word, of course they’re below the surface, they’re anglerfish, the very name conveys extreme depth. “Up to the end” is clunky and vague. Even “their end” would have been better.
7/15

Talusfood – untitled (prompt: ink)
Whining about writing haikus in a haiku contest. Well excuuuuuuse me. You barely brought in your prompt, as while writing in ink does have its limitations you mentioned none of them in your poem. “Compressed” doesn’t really offset “prissy”, in my opinion, it would be very easy to me for something to be both compressed and prissy, so your “yet” doesn’t land. It’s an attempt to be funny, and executed better it would have been more successful.
4/15 - Loser

Armack - In my Grandfather’s Living Room (prompt: depth)
Very poignant. Minor grammatical quibbles are present, such as your second line being a fragment. It could have been connected to the first line, letting your last line land as its own, final payoff. I liked this poem a lot. The vagueness in the final line adds to its impact, imo, and definitely conveys depth.
13/15 - Winner

Meinberg – Puzzle Pieces (prompt: ink)
Your haiku exudes a “I’m too goddamn cool for this” vibe. Ironic mention of Ars Poetica? Check. Overdramatic language? Check. I think you could lose the second stanza and go in hard with the ironic detachment of your first haiku. Barely connected to the prompt, though.
6/15

steeltoedsneakers – Purple Prose (prompt: ink, depth)
Second stanza totally useless, as you’ve made your (imo effective) point with the first and third haikus. A capture of exposing yourself to criticism and wanting to stick with lighter inks to keep the feelings light and fluffy as well – the title plays well on multiple layers here. The first stanza could use some work, as “wet, jet black” just trails off and without knowing your prompt was ink I wouldn’t necessarily know you’re talking about pen color. I liked your last stanza.
7/15

Djeser – Delafield pond, summer (prompt: depth)
I like it. Articulation of a childhood fear juxtaposed with the depth of a body of water. I think the “algae deep of my fear” doesn’t quite land, using deep as a noun, nor does repetition of “down” in the second line. Second stanza was a solid output, although I could quibble about continuing the first line with a fragment into the second. In my opinion it just reads like you wanted to include “blue” in the first line and were constrained by format, but again, nit-picky.
11/15

Thranguy – Now (prompt: depth)
Ok, I get it, and if this was not a haiku contest, I might find your play on the decreasing line length interesting. As it is you are really stretching the form here. Your language is vague/nonsensical (“creation’s violent glow”, “between the extinct and exalted”, “quintillionth mausoleum”) and thus not impactful. The middle bit about the craps player is actually a funny/depressing little haiku, but largely unconnected to the prompt.
5/15

Antivehicular – From the Airport Observation Deck (prompt: photo)
There are parts of an interesting haiku here, spread across the three individual pieces, but as a whole I think the execution isn’t 100%. “Running errands” feels like it’s just extra words, you land your lines about traffic heedlessly running and that is enough. You focus on the city in one and three, but then diverge about the clouds in two, and I think it’s not needed. “Unfolded laundry on a kitchen table” is not a moving metaphor in this context (for me, there was some discussion among the judges). It could have a place in a different poem, but not this one. The transition of “city” to “host” is super clunky and I did not like it. That word space could have been used more effectively.
9/15

sebmojo – Untitled (prompt: ink? Probably?)
This was a good one, if a little boring. Traditional form, really efficient use of space. The fact that it is untitled also plays well with the content. It would be interesting to see a bit of elaboration.
9/15

Entenzahn – I’ll Stop Tomorrow (prompt: photo, ink)
Ehhhh, I dunno. Your “leaves” seem like an afterthought, pandering to the trend towards including natural images in haiku. Does it matter that the letter was written above the roofs? I think there’s a central theme that’s missing here.
5/15

SlipUp – The Deep (prompt: depth)
Your departure from form doesn’t actually do anything for your poem, here. You have a generic sort of “I’m sinking” theme but you fail to use evocative language or imagery. I think you could have developed this idea more effectively. Your lines “I miss the sun” is boring and “I breach the deep” is somewhat nonsensical in the context; when I think of “breach” I think of breaching the surface, as in going up.
6/15

GenJoe – Untitled (prompt: depth)
“Canyons dimples” makes NO sense and frustrates me. It’s like I’m reading a poem that’s been crammed through google translate a few times. The Cormac McCarthy reference is lost on me. You went too obscure for your own good.
6/15

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
And you guys thought haikus were tough

:getin:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Elentor posted:

When I was a kid and lived in the slums a very traumatic memory I have is of the necklacing smell. I used to look down on the city below and the skyscrapers from a PoV similar to that photo and wonder about the lives of the people in the buildings. Someday I realized that no matter how clean it looked, there was still violence in it, it was just invisible from afar. This was around the time where games had a lot of pixel hunting in them (essentially looking for very small details) and I found that to be interesting, so what I tried to do is fantasize that if I played where's waldo enough with city pictures, I could find something, like a detective. Something no one else saw because they only saw it for a city picture.

I never found anything, but whenever there are reports nowadays of people finding something on Google Maps, part of me feels, in a strange way, vindicated.

That’s an interesting thought. Parts of that idea clearly came through in your poem. I think it just needed a bit of touching up. One issue that I have is that I’ll use an obscure phrase and it’ll disrupt my poem’s impact because people don’t get it.

I’m not saying that no one understood pixel hunt, and I understood what the definition was, but failed to see how it connected to the rest of the work.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Elentor posted:

Yeah that's fair, thanks for the C&C.

Did you get in on Amracks prompt? You should!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Here’s a few choice quotes from Sappho, a Greek poet who I find particularly hilarious. Inspiration for those still looking for a poet!

“Sappho, Charaxos and Larichos” posted:

As for Larichos,
that lay-a-bed lives for the pillow. If for once
he’d get off his rear end, he might make something of himself.
Then from that reeking sewer of my life
I might haul up a bucket of spring water.

”Sappho, fragment” posted:

Death is an evil.
That’s what the gods think.
Or they would die.

There’s some amazing loving stuff out there buried in lesser known works.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Do I smell our first poem dome brawl? I’ll give you a prompt and judge if you’re looking for blood ;)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Excellent. Excellent!

Theme: insults

Three tercets with an ABA BCB CDC rhyme scheme, roasting your opponent. Tercets must be in iambic pentameter.

Due by Sunday at 11:59PM.

Some inspiration:

shakespeare

Rap battles (one of my favorite things to watch)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I liked this prompt a lot so I wrote a poem too and wanted to share. I’m always happy to offer critiques and welcome any feedback on my own work.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 3, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Saucy, hit me up for a forums upgrade (or a donation to the charity of your choice, depending on how virtuous you’re feeling. No pressure.)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I would prefer to keep poem dome losertar free. This is out of most people’s comfort zone and I’d prefer to encourage as much participation as possible. I do like the idea of a winner gang tag.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
In, with prompter’s choice of tune

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I change my mind, Saucy, if that's okay with you- if not I'll stand by my original post.

1. Tears
2. Eternal Light

EDIT
:siren: IF YOU HAVE IDEAS FOR A POEM DOME WINNER GANG TAG, PM ME OR POST HERE. I AM CONSIDERING STARTING AN SA MART POST FOR BUILDING ONE. :siren:

alternatively if you're artistic and would like to donate some time and an idea, do it!

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 29, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Inaugural Poem Dome Brawl
lofi vs Saucy_Rodent in Iambic Pentameter Insults

Lofi:
You’ve decided that iambic pentameter was optional, despite the rules saying otherwise. I like that in a brawler, big brass balls and enough edge to say “gently caress The Man”.

Your meter was all over the place and I agree with The Rodent, poem is one syllable because I come from America and in my head your line was nine. That was a rhyme, by the way, not the crime you committed with fine/rhyme.

That said, your last tercet was loving gold. Using the structure of his rhyme and the layering of him being poo poo figuratively and literally was pretty awesome.

Your Groverhaus stuff was a little ho-hum, but I think because while calling his house of rhyme equivalent to Groverhaus, I still wouldn’t want to storm it. Probably get electrocuted.

Your score: 3.2 rounds of a rap battle

————

Saucy_Rodent:

Meter was much more consistent. Your burns were okay, but I think lofi edged you out with the powerful image of Sappho making GBS threads you out vs you saying lofi shat his pants as a kid.

Your fornicating with his mom bit did make my wife laugh out loud though, and taking a “I hosed your mother” joke and putting it into formal iambic pentameter was quite deft.

Overall your poem’s rhyme and construction was more adept, and your burns were mostly effective. I wished you’d been a little more creative with them.

Score: 3.9 rounds of a rap battle

:boom:Winner: Saucy_Rodent:boom:

Thank you to our contestants. Come back for a rematch anytime.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

lofi posted:

Ta for the judging and brawling! I thought I did do iambic pentameter though?

Am I missing something, it's 'off-beat / beat' five times, right?

(Also a she not a he)

I apologize for mistaking you for a he! I missed your pronouns post.

With regards to your meter, iambic can be tough as it has a lot to do with stress. It’s not as if you were 100% off the mark, and even with iambic pentameter you can have deviations, but they are largely pretty regulated.

Things like “mind’s eye” “smeared out”- both words in those examples are stressed (within the poem, mind you, as those are monosyllabic), and thus are not an iamb.

I was hyperbolizing a bit, your poem was mostly correct, just a few places where as I read I felt the stress wasn’t landing where you wanted. I welcome education, however, if I’m interpreting incorrectly.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

lofi posted:

Thankyou! I think tbh it's mostly a case of me not skilled enough to be able to dissect my own work accurately. I feel like a puppy having it's nose rubbed in it's poop and not being able to understand why all the humans turned nasty! I'm gonna get better, though, that's why I'm here.

Always up for a rematch and/or more brawling.

Seriously, the image you painted in that third tercet was quite funny. Don’t get down on yourself! I think all my poems are terrible, so I’m absolutely a hypocrite, but I’m very happy we’re all collaborating together to build a space where we can improve.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Saucy_Rodent posted:

Hey, since participation is low, I’m taking off the War Week part. You can pick any of the beats and rap about whatever you please.

Ok my rap is now directed at all of my competitors instead of just one individual

Y’all better get ready to cry home to mama

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

lofi posted:

ffs, now I gotta write another verse :colbert:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Time stamps for when I'd come in and where (approximately) the lines should be ending. Briefest of pauses at the end of each line. Hopefully you'll get the intended rhythm.

To the tune of "Tears"

Real Depth

(in @ 0’08”)
I came to the Dome (0’10”)
To be a destructor (0’12”)
Put rhymes on hot tracks (0’14”)
Just like a conductor (0’16”)
Put dimes on thot backs (0’18”)
I’ll be your instructor (0’20”)
You brought in fake depth (0’23”)
But just spew garbage poo poo (0’25”)
They can’t spin those lines (0’27”)
Should just go home and quit (0’29”)
Down in the real depth (0’31”)
you’ll choke on lyrics I spit (0’34”)

(in @ 0’44”)
My flow is an ocean (0’46”)
The crushing tide (0’48”)
I’ll swallow you whole (0’50”)
And drown you inside (0’52”)
get smashed by my words (0’54”)
they call me the hammer (0’56”)
I’ll bust your skull open (0’58”)
And spray the gray matter (1’00”)

(in at 1’09”)
Enten’s Trash Midas (1’11”)
Turns it all to ashes (1’13”)
Both photos and poems (1’15”)
burning like car crashes (1’17”)
Lofi’s lookin’ stupid (1’19”)
Wide-eyed like fat cattle (1’21”)
with imprecise rhymes (1’24”
she’s worthless like chattel (1’26”)
Jon Joe knows the score (1’28”)
his dishonor’s a stain (1’30”)
I poo poo kids like him (1’32”)
he just runs down the drain (1’34”)
My flow is an ocean (1’37”)
The darkest abyss (1’39”)
I’ll swallow you down (1’41”)
With my anchor of diss (1’43”)

(in @ 2’02”)
I’m king of this hill (2’04”)
I preach from this pulpit (2’06”)
You all are weak hacks (2’08”)
Bringing the deep bullshit (2’10”)
You hope for peak smack (2’12”)
But you don’t have the clout (2’14”)
Take your geek track (2’16”)
And get the gently caress out (2’18”)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Also, in atonement for that truly terrible rap I just posted, here is an attempt at a Poem Dome winner gangtag. I think the size/dimensions are all correct. Walt can be saying anything you'd like him to.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

lofi posted:

Nice! I was thinking of "I wondered lonely as a cloud goon".

Can I request next week we do something a bit lighter? 2 poo poo-talkings in a row is making me hungry for a change.

Agreed! Let's get some lighthearted stuff in here, whoever wins. Also how about Walt saying "I celebrate myself" or "I am the poet of the Soul"? a little more uplifting, less associated with 420?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Walt Whitman. If you have yet to read some of his poetry it is amazing (though not everyone’s cup of tea).

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

lofi posted:

At the moment I think the tag is a bit more tcc than cc, yeah.

?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

lofi posted:

Too fast flashing, depending how obnoxious you're aiming for.

sorry for the m-m-m-multipost everyone. This is the current iteration, slower with color changes.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Please let me know if you all like the gang tag, and we can see if sebmojo is willing to give it out to the winners. If you have some different ideas, post 'em here, I'm happy to keep working on it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Good news! I’m currently working up the next prompt. So you’re on the ground floor :)

So far this thread has been on a schedule of prompt on Thurs/Fri, Sign ups by Mon, Submit by Wednesday, repeat. So if you check in over the weekend you can ensure you’re hitting the sign up period. This might change over time, though.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Week 4: Odes

I agree with lofi, let's get away from the darker times of battle raps and trying to burn each other and go back to more spirited, uplifting times with odes! An ode is basically a poetic form of praise that originated in ancient Greece. The old school greek poets (Pindar, etc.) used them to celebrate victories and generally let everyone know this particular person, place, or thing was pretty awesome. Odes can have multiple formats, laid out effectively in this Poetry 101 description:

Poetry 101 posted:

Pindaric ode. Pindaric odes are named for the ancient Greek poet Pindar, who lived during the 5th century BC and is often credited with creating the ode poetic form. A Pindaric ode consists of a strophe, an antistrophe that is melodically harmonious, and an epode. Pindaric poems are also characterized by irregular line lengths and rhyme schemes.

Strophe? Antistrophe? What the gently caress is this greek poo poo?

The idea is that a proper Greek ode has these three parts to provide structure and varying themes throughout the poem. The strophe is just a collection of verses with a particular theme, followed by the antistrophe which acts as a counterbalance. The antistrophe might repeat certain words or phrases from the strophe to give emphasis. The epode gives a nice resolution. These concepts are commonly found in greek plays!

Pen and Pad posted:

Strophe
The strophe -- meaning "turn" -- is the first stanza of an ode and is essentially the first half of a debate or argument presented by the chorus. In reciting the strophe, the chorus moves from the right of the stage to the left. Because the size of the chorus during ancient performances would vary greatly, sometimes the entire chorus would perform both the strophe and the antistrophe, and sometimes the chorus would be split down the middle, with only one half reciting the strophe. In one section of "Antigone," the chorus recalls the story of Danae, a woman whose father locked her away in her room to prevent her from having a child. This story implies that Antigone's punishment of being entombed is unjust.

Antistrophe
The antistrophe is the other half of the debate or further exploration of the argument initially presented in the strophe. The word itself means "to turn back," which makes sense given that the chorus moves in the opposite direction of the strophe; for the antistrophe, the movement is left to right. The antistrophe serves as a response to the strophe, but it does not get the last word. The antistrophe only complicates the issue and makes it difficult to see the correct answer or path for characters to take. In one section of "Antigone," the chorus recalls the story of Lycurgus, a king who mocked the god Dionysus and was therefore punished by being imprisoned and driven insane. This story implies that Antigone's entombment is fair given her crime.

Here's part of an ode as an example:

Progress of Posey by Thomas Gray posted:

I.1.
Awake, Æolian lyre, awake,
And give to rapture all thy trembling strings.
From Helicon's harmonious springs
A thousand rills their mazy progress take:
The laughing flowers, that round them blow,
Drink life and fragrance as they flow.
Now the rich stream of music winds along
Deep, majestic, smooth, and strong,
Thro' verdant vales, and Ceres' golden reign:
Now rolling down the steep amain,
Headlong, impetuous, see it pour:
The rocks and nodding groves rebellow to the roar.

I.2.
Oh! Sovereign of the willing soul,
Parent of sweet and solemn-breathing airs,
Enchanting shell! the sullen Cares
And frantic Passions hear thy soft control.
On Thracia's hills the Lord of War,
Has curb'd the fury of his car,
And dropp'd his thirsty lance at thy command.
Perching on the sceptred hand
Of Jove, thy magic lulls the feather'd king
With ruffled plumes and flagging wing:
Quench'd in dark clouds of slumber lie
The terror of his beak, and light'nings of his eye.

I.3.
Thee the voice, the dance, obey,
Temper'd to thy warbled lay.
O'er Idalia's velvet-green
The rosy-crowned Loves are seen
On Cytherea's day
With antic Sports and blue-ey'd Pleasures,
Frisking light in frolic measures;
Now pursuing, now retreating,
Now in circling troops they meet:
To brisk notes in cadence beating
Glance their many-twinkling feet.
Slow melting strains their Queen's approach declare:
Where'er she turns the Graces homage pay.
With arms sublime, that float upon the air,
In gliding state she wins her easy way:
O'er her warm cheek and rising bosom move
The bloom of young Desire and purple light of Love.

We see here that Gray has given us a triad with a strophe, antistrohpe, and epode. You might notice that the strophe and antistrophe have the same meter and rhyme scheme, while the epode is distinct. This is by design.

Poetry 101 posted:

Horatian ode. Named after Roman poet Horace, who lived during the 1st century, the Horatian ode consists of two- or four-line stanzas that share the same meter, rhyme scheme, and length. Unlike the more formal Pindaric ode, the Horatian ode traditionally explores intimate scenes of daily life.

The whole idea of the ode is to use beautiful, evocative language to glorify a particular subject. Regardless of which format you use or subject you pick, strive for your ode to be lyrical.

Poetry 101 posted:

Irregular ode. Irregular odes follow neither the Pindaric form nor the Horatian form. Irregular odes typically include rhyme, as well as irregular verse structure and stanza patterns.

And since we're in the future, some people just do whatever the hell they want. Here is "Ode to an Earthquake" by Ram Mehta:

quote:

What a day you chose, Grandma Mine!
To quake, to move, to shiver, to shake
Thereby to ravage, to savage, to shatter,
The celebrations of Mother India Republic Day.

A female snake eating her own children!
What bad karma those school children had done?
What configurations of the planets took place
In the natal charts of those thousand killed?

Million years ago you jolted and rocked,
Opening up the Atlantic and creating Indian Ocean,
Delinking India from Africa and Sri Lanka.
Those oceans are widening and the Pacific shrinking.

Will North America and Asia drift into each other?
The twelve plates mate and hate each other,
Caribbean to Cocos and Indian to Eurasian.

Your wanton ways to be taken as blessing in disguise?
Your natural acts as great levelers? Or
HE made the world to fit best to create and destroy.

No rhyme, varied meter, no strophe/antistrophe/epode. Still, this ode uses powerful language to chastise the earthquake- almost the opposite of what odes are typically designed to do.

THE PROMPT:

I would like you to pick an ode format and write us a nice poem glorifying something you think deserves to be glorified. This could be a person, a concept, something in nature, your cheeto-stained keyboard, whatever you'd like. The point of this exercise is to use really deep, lyrical language to paint us a picture of why we should agree with you about the coolness of your subject. Also, because I'm giving you format freedom here, ensure that if you pick a rhyme scheme / particular meter you stick to it, especially so if you deign to write a Pindaric ode; that antistrophe better match the strophe to a T. You are the master of your own fate.

Sign-ups by Monday, Dec 9 by 11:00PM PT
Submission by Wednesday, Dec 11 by 11:00PM PT

If you would like to make your life more difficult, you can toxx and I will assign you a subject for your ode. My whims are capricious, so be warned.

Entrants:
1. Djeser
2. flerp
3. Armack
4. Thranguy

Judges:
1. SephiRoth IRA
2. ???

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 6, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

lofi posted:

idgi either. free verse it is! in and :toxx: me a subject!

Your subject is Solitude

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Sign ups close in one hour-ish. I’m still looking for a spare judge if anyone is interested!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I think that’s everybody! I will have my judgements up tomorrow night. Detailed crits might not happen for another day or two.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Winner: Amrack

HM: Thranguy

DM: no DM

Loser: cda

Detailed crits later. I’m on a business trip and things went about as hosed as they could go today so please be okay with just results for now :(

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I’ll have time to help judge Armack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I did not like the juxtaposition of the old-timey language with the poems content. And while the poem was funny, it did not capture the rich and wholesome language I asked for in the prompt.