Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Glazius posted:

There's something I am curious about, political science-wise; if you hold local elections just to make things responsive enough to avoid revolt, doesn't suborning local elections when you have enough power carry a greater risk? Or is that just factored into the cost?

local authorities are also very useful means to direct anger away from the central authority, if properly managed - c.f. david cameron's strategy with austerity in britain, where the big cuts weren't made in big governmental programmes but in transfers of wealth to local authorities, effectively forcing them to cut back and raise local taxes, directing the rage there. of course, you run into the issue of local bigwigs getting in power and potentially leveraging that against the centre, but if you can ensure that the local political levels are going to be unpopular anyway...

this is a good thread kangxi i am trying to catch up. big kudos for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU