Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Glazius posted:

China didn't get that option, but seeing a perspective on American patriotism from the outside is a real eye-opener.

As an outsider I'm very curious what parts you experienced as real eye-openers and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Squalid posted:

One thing that's crazy I just noticed looking at economic statistics. Back when this book was first published, India and China had almost identical GDP per capita. As of 2017, China's per capita GDP was more than 4x larger than India's. Dang, why hasn't India been able to achieve the kind of economic success China has?

Obviously because it's fighting it's Maoist rebels rather than putting them in control of the state (and then becoming state-capitalist anyway).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Having recently started dating a Chinese woman and getting a bit of an inside perspective on Chinese life and society that way, I am more and more concluding that China is currently the most successful capitalist country in the world. They appear to be straight up better at capitalism than Western countries because they actually understand it (ironically due to Marxism) and are not burdened by belief in their own bullshit liberal lies.

The results for regular people are of course exactly as disastrous as you'd expect from any capitalist economy. And also as usual nationalism is used to paper over that.