Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've just caught up with the thread, thank you Kangxi it's a very interesting read. It actually gave me the inspiration to go back to translating some stuff I'd sat on for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Thanks, its an interesting section.

"homosexuality is legal and homosexual couples can be formally married and live together"

The marriage part is of course incorrect, but I believe he's talking about registered cohabitation, which Gay rights activists had been pushing for and some county's and city governments had passed in the 80s. It gave limited protection from eviction if the landlord was homophobic. And it became a hot button issue when conservative groups like Save Our Children and Anit Bryant began trying to overturn them. https://libcom.org/history/1977-80-gay-activists-boycott-orange-juice

I'm curious how the Chinese audience reacted to this section, both government and public. I understand there was a very, very slow thaw and attitude adjustment to homosexuality in this period, that slowly opened up in the 1990s. I've read that the first book about homosexuality to receive official publication in the PRC was restricted to a small printing and had to be requested with the article saying a request had to be approved by their employer. It didn't specify if this was purely for civil servants or applied to all workplaces.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I was listening to the Economists podcast series on Xi Jinping called The Prince, and Episode 4: Man enough touches on America Against America and the career of Wang Huning. It reminded me of this thread. Hope its finished one day.

Here it is