Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hats are pretty cool, right guys
Interview 2 - “Defending The Border” (Or, “Someone Who Doesn’t loving Suck”)

Yeah, it's about that first battle. Are you sure that’s how Dipshit's first battle in eighteen months went?

Well, I was summing it up for the sake of brevity.

But, yes, he did not fully exceed expectations in his first battle against Flak. The first batch of soldiers were grievously injured.

Oh, for gently caress's sake. Nobody I know, right?

Luckily, no.

Andy then found new ways to be atrocious in combat by somehow managing to get his APC to run out of fuel.

The enemy were closing in on the HQ and he was completely powerless. It was...

The funniest thing you've ever seen?

I was going to say embarrassing.

Either way, Nell was unimpressed.

Hahahahahaaaaaaah, Dipshit annoyed Nell. That's what you get for being awful!

Andy also seemed to lose the ability to speak, saying he "though" he saw something rather than "thought".

I'll add "speaking" to the list of things this kid needs to learn to do. We'll put it just above "breathe in and out" and just below "write his own name".

The poor woman grew so frustrated that she, too, broke the fourth wall.

Oh, Nell does that all the time. She has no idea that she's in a game, but... sometimes, I wonder how much she really knows.

Yes you will, Dipshit. You'll mess up over and over and over again, because it's what you do.

So, yes... his first battle left a lot to be desired.

Quite a failure. Nell must have a lot of patience.

I mean, I was pretty poo poo when I started out. That woman's got the patience of a saint.

He's not even overconfident, he's like, more than that. He's the most self-obsessed braggart I have ever seen.

Like, how do you even manage this?

Nell does offer some sound tactical advice, though.

That's my girl.

Inside, she must be furious.

Oh, without a doubt.

Anyway, are you satisfied?

Yea, but why didn’t you tell me that he did this? It's the best thing I’ve seen all day.

I didn’t think it was relevant to the story.

Dipshit being a dipshit is ALWAYS relevant to the story.

But yes, fine, continue.

Excellent. I travelled north, where I encountered Sami, facing an invading force at the border.

OH gently caress IT'S THE HORRIBLE BABY MAN AGAIN

...I'll warn you in advance next time.

That'd be nice i hate this thing

So this guy's basically Evil Max, is what I'm getting?

I'd argue that Max is a little more intelligent. That said, this thug does understand the benefits of tanks...

He's got some serious issues.

And so, the skirmish began. I hadn't been impressed by Dips- I mean, Andy's performance, but I was looking forward to seeing what Sami could do.

Hey, it's Mr Nameless Soldier!

I told you last time, his name is Carter. Oh, speaking of, I suppose I should give you today's deployments before we begin the mission. We'll meet some new units this time around.

Alright, hit me.

CARTER
Personality: Confident despite inexperience.
Proficiencies: Mech, Missiles, Rockets

LUCY
Personality: Growing up fast.
Proficiencies: Bomber, Fighter, Artillery

INGO
Personality: Defends his friends.
Proficiencies: Artillery, Tank, Bomber

Hey, I recognise those names! Lucy and Ingo, how adorable. Glad to see they're doing OK!

I was quite surprised to see so many young soldiers.

Attacking is usually the best option, yeah. As I was always taught - strike first!

Sami agrees. She evidently knows how to pick her battles.

What? I thought you were on the border? Is he deep in Orange Star or not?

Nell arrived. She wanted to know what was happening.

Sami has yet to grasp that Nell is everywhere and anywhere, all at once.

...Did you just make a joke, Ruin?

No. I'm professional.

Sami can take care of one dude and a couple of tanks. She defeated the entirety of Green Earth, Nell, remember?

Nell can't hear you. This happened months ago.

I knowwwwww.

I'm not sure, but I believe this is the first time in recorded history that somebody requested a tutorial from Nell.

Oh god, Sami, you opened Pandora's Box, run!

The thing is coming up.

GA-

OK, yeah, it was much less horrible now that I was prepared for it.

Either way, it seems Flak also needed a reminder on how to perform basic military manoeuvres.

Why is everyone in the military completely incompetent? Besides, like, me, Sami, Grit and debatably Sonja.

This is important to note, though.

Not for me, though. I know this stuff!

Oh my god he can't even do basic maths. Who the hell hires these people?

TWENTY EIGHT THOUSAND FUNDS PER TURN

Oh my god, my dude, please drop it.

The mission is beginning. Here are the deployments.

TODAY’S DEPLOYMENTS
Fliss, Infantry
Carter, Mech
Michael, APC
Lucy, Artillery
Ingo, Tank

Ingo as a tank? Like Bill and Eric?

Many soldiers' proficiencies are inspired by those they're particularly close to.

"...I don't need to teach you anything! Good luck!"

Wishful thinking, my dude. Wishful thinking.

Ah, my old pal defensive terrain. That's saved more than a few lives over the course of my first campaign.

Really? Is it that useful?

It's the difference between a bomber one-shotting a mech, and having the mech survive. It's life and death, sometimes.

God, I love mountains.

Please stop. You're starting to sound aroused.

I must admit, I was only in Wars World to look for you, but I did end up learning quite a lot about military strategy. I'm not sure if it'll be useful, but new experiences are good.

Hey, I was gonna suggest that! Lucy attacks from the north forest, and Carter attacks from the south. Should do moderate damage to the enemy tank.

Their relationship seems more positive than the one between Andy and Nell.

Sami is very much in the "rear end-kissing" group of subordinates.

Fliss heads out to capture the nearby city.

And then Nell started talking whilst she was in mid-capture.

Nell is the best interruptor in the world, I swear. She's never not interrupting you.

But hey, she's not been delivering as much bad news as she usually does. It's been mostly positive so far.

Every CO has their weaknesses, it seems.

Yeah, Sami's are pretty clear. Pro: not Dipshit. Con: not Max.

Max is your favourite, then?

I mean, besides his iffy relationship with Nell in the past, the dude's solid. Hits like a truck, knows what to do, and is the best CO.

My fighting style is "take a mulligan if it goes wrong".

Are you sure you're the best tactician in Wars World?

Metal Gear?

I see what you mean now about currying Nell's favour. She does suck up quite a bit, doesn't she?

No kidding.

Oh dear god, she just keeps on going.

You can't complain, really. Sami did ask for her advice.

It provides money every turn and some defensive bonuses, and heals units on it. Bam. Done.

That's... basically what she's about to say, yes.

In more words, I assume.

Oh yes. Many more words.

Nell is trying so hard not to be super condescending here, and it's really funny.

She seems like a condescending sort.

That said, "deployment properties" is super pretentious. They're bases, Nell, just say bases. Air bases. Bote bases. They're bases.

I-

If you mention Sturm and his number of properties again, I will tase you.

That's police brutality!

Fine, I won't. But you're very annoying.

Anyway, I managed to get my hands on the officer documents. You might find them useful.

Well, I already know Sami's, but I guess I'm intrigued to see what Flak's whole thing is.

Ah, the most useless CO power. I think I used it once to actually win a battle. Besides that, it's never been-

Sorry, WHAT? Plus two movement? Capturing in one turn? What the gently caress is this?

The "Super CO Power". At the end of the campaign with Sturm, do you recall the discussions about how to prevent Sturm from being so strong in the future?

Oh, I slept through those meetings. Nell told me bits and pieces.

Well, after you left, the nations finally made a decision. It was agreed that the only CO power on equal strength with Sturm's was Eagle's - Lightning Strike. I believe you used it to defeat Sturm in the final battle, correct?

Oh, yeah. That was basically necessary to beat him.

Precisely. Those CO Powers were beyond the normal CO Powers in terms of raw strength, so they defined those as Super CO Powers. Before Sturm, it was agreed that CO powers could only be moderately strong; however, Sturm ignored those rules and gave himself a much more powerful CO Power - he had no reason to play by the rules of Wars World. So the nations reorganised the way that CO Powers work - now, every officer was allowed to have a CO Power of equal strength to Meteor Strike, which would be a Super CO Power.

Powercreep marches on. So, every CO now has their regular CO Power and a Super CO Power?

Yes. Besides Eagle, who instead treated Lightning Strike as a Super CO Power, and gave himself a regular CO Power. And so, if Sturm ever returned, any CO would be able to stand a chance against him.

Makes sense to me. Anyway, gimme the details on Flak. Let's see if I'm right.

He doesn't have any respect for vegetables, which are a healthy part of any diet.

Huh, I see. I guess he has lower luck than other soldiers, then? Is that what this is trying to say?

His powers sound really terrible. Though I suppose I don't know just how much the amount of damage increases...

And every one of his units receives a boost in attack strength, as you predicted.

Nice.

Anyway, Nell has a little more to say, but first, Sami makes her move. Ingo goes to strike the enemy tank.

"Hey, Lucy! Ingo! Nice to see you!" Michael says, waving from his APC. Lucy squeals and waves back.

"Michael! Hi! I've missed you so much!"

"Same here." Ingo says, grinning at Michael. "Pleasure to see you. You doing alright, Michael?"

"Absolutely. And meet the newcomers here... who are you, again?"

"The name's Carter!" says the mech. He's young and bright-eyed, and he gives a rogueish grin as he introduces himself. "I'm a warrior, a hero - I'm gonna lead you all to victory!"

Ingo tilts his head. "Who does this joker think he is?"

"Apparently, better than us." says Michael, grinning. "Dave's gonna eat this kid alive."

"Oh, definitely. You don't get away with this kind of arrogance around him." Ingo notes.

"I don't know what's got into him..." Fliss murmurs. "We, um, st-studied at the military academy together. He's... never been in a real battle before."

"Shuddup, Fliss!" hisses Carter, then turns back to everyone, trying to retain his composure. "Just watch my power! I'll show you how experienced I am!"

The only infantry allowed to kill tanks around here is Dave.

You'd be surprised. Several COs have been inspired by your "Ultimate Disrespect", I believe your soldiers called it? They try it from time to time.

Holy shitfuck, that's a lot of damage. Did Sami's infantry get buffed?

"Hi, everyone!" Lucy says. "I'm Lucy! I'm just happy to be here. What's your name?"

She looks at Fliss, who blushes nervously. "Oh, um... I-I'm Fliss."

"Well, hey there! I'm really looking forward to fighting alongside you! And it's a pleasure to be back by your side, Michael."

"Definitely." Michael says, grinning. "I've missed you, Luce."

"Aw, I've missed you too!"

Seeing Lucy in an artillery is super weird.

Nell when the gently caress are you going to let us get on with the actual mission.

When she's finished.

Yeah, but she's taking foreverrrrrrr

Artillery sure did treat me right when I used them. Best unit in the game.

The amount of Nell-exposition does decrease with each subsequent mission, you'll be pleased to hear.

Thank god.

That reminds me of all the Fog of War maps that had rockets in. That was annoying.

Not long now.

Who the gently caress is this tutorial for? Surely it makes sense that the main audience for Advance Wars 2 is people who played Advance Wars 1.

You are asking questions that I cannot answer, my dude.

Either way, Lucy is moved to an advantageous position by the town.

I see. Sami intends to hold that bridge with a mixture of artillery support and tank/mech fire, right?

Precisely. Which is good, because Flak wastes no time in advancing.

Oh, good, he's the sexist one too. Man, I don't think I've hated anyone as much as Flak. Big, inconsiderate dunderhead who doesn't deserve his position, he's sexist, uncaring for his grunts and only mildly invested in Sturm's plan; his main motivation simply seems to be combat for the sake of combat! Urgh. People like him piss me off.

(...Hm. Surprisingly moral. I had believed that all my dudes were arrogant and thoughtless, but perhaps that's only a façade...)

True to his word, he begins capturing the allied property nearby.

Those little space dudes look really silly from the front.

And the tanks advance too. Mm, Sami needs to blockade the bridge this turn.

Yes, but first... more tutorial.

AAAARGH. I've missed Nell so much, but now... every word she says is annoying me.

What do you see in this woman?

I... hm. That's a very good question.

She's hardworking. Devoted, almost, and very professional. I admired that.

Her information is very thorough, but she only goes into so much detail because she sees something in you. When Nell looks at you, it's like she's looking through you - she's seeing the tactician within. She saw potential in me, I think... eventually staking her career on my victory.

But, as I got to know her, I began to see more to her, too. Her vulnerable side.

The side that she never shows. She didn't show me her vulnerabilities lightly. But when she did, I... I had never felt closer to someone than I did in that instant.

She's surprisingly romantic, too. She enjoys taking charge - out of work hours, anyway. Nell and I were professional during the day, but in the evenings, she'd buy me flowers and take me out for dinner... all the things the guy is supposed to do, you know?

Nell is a woman of devotion - to those she loves, to her country and job, to every soldier under her command. She's the calm cliff to my stormy sea.

What do I see in her? I see her heart. She opened her heart up to me, and I will never be the same again.

I...

I had no idea. You really love her... I wish I knew what that feels like.

You've never been in love?

This is your interview, not mine.

If you say so.

And she's still going on. God drat.

This information is somewhat redundant by now.

Go on, Nell. Tell me something I don't know. I dare you.

Never mind, she's just gonna tell us about funds. Christ, Nell, I know what money is. I'm financially responsible!

I've been informed that you spend almost all of your military budget on medium tanks.

Medium tanks are worth every penny.

Admittedly, that bit's valid. I could swear that the first game never tells you that.

Here we go.

Oh, finally.

You were already confident of victory! You beat Green Earth and Fog of War Eagle on your own! Don't pretend like Mr Anti-Feminist over here is a threat!

Yes, anyway... Fliss captures the property. It now plays a small applause fanfare whenever you capture property.

I’m not even going to ask.

The tanks can't reach the town on this turn, so Sami has all the time in the world to set up her defences.

So she moves Ingo to the town to heal that 2 damage?

You're right. Nice job.

Lucy is able to be right next to Ingo, where she can attack anything that comes near.

Makes sense. Man, it's refreshing to watch a CO who actually knows what they're doing.

This trick was quite interesting. Carter hopped into Michael...

Who then dropped him...

...Which moved him one extra space. Nice.

Sami's got more than enough firepower for this bozo now.

…and, of course, there's a booing audience sound effect whenever the enemy capture something.

Is that, like, supposed to be the citizens in the city? I have no idea what's going on here.

And that first tank is smack-bang in the middle of the old murder circle. Excellent.

Sami must work fast to defeat the tanks before the infantry back them up, however.

True.

Still, Lucy is doing obscene damage. I've missed artilleries.

They do seem potent.

Ingo finishes off the tank without breaking a sweat - he's clearly confident.

Hey, that was decent! You’re getting the hang of it.

Thank you. I'm doing my best.

Sami's turn ends with a solid group of units - Carter and Ingo are ready to handle any threat that comes along.

Even with Flak's strength, there's no way this'll kill.

Quite right. It has quite heavily impact Ingo's attacking capabilities, of course...

Eh. Sami has an artillery and mech, she doesn't really need Ingo to do big damage.

The advancing infantry might need to be taken care of, though.

What would you do here?

First things first, go for the tank with the artillery - it's the only threatening thing left.

A good observation. That's precisely what happened.

Oh my god, did she try for the Ultimate Disrespect? At 5%, that's basically guaranteed.

Fliss, unfortunately, does not want to kill if she can help it. She spared the tank.

God drat it, Fliss.

Ingo had to waste his turn finishing off the tank.

Unfortunate, but nothing else could be done.

And then Carter did holy poo poo why is he doing so much damage

He's just an ordinary mech.

I swear that they weren't this strong before. Sami's mechs definitely got buffed.

I mean, perhaps. I'm not the person to ask.

The enemy infantry assault the kind-hearted Fliss. They, unlike her, have no concept of mercy.

That's just mean. She's a cinnamon roll!

The other infantry wisely decided not to mess with Carter.

I'm sure Carter will be messing with him next turn.

He'll have to - Lucy is no longer in range to attack the remaining foes.

And actually, it's Fliss that messes with this infantry, by striking him down. Carter can defeat the infantry with higher HP - his attack power would be wasted on a 3 HP infantry.

Ah, true. That's pretty good.

Mm, Fliss wouldn't have been able to kill this guy.

Carter does quite a good job, though.

The rest of the units head up to finish off that APC. The map is effectively won, though.

Nice job, Sami. Proud of ya.

Ah, was that a classic "enemy turn where nothing happens"? I've not seen those in a while. I'm sure there'll be plenty more before this campaign is done.

Fliss also begins capturing this property, despite having no purpose to do so. Still, she's doing her best.

I'm proud of her.

Either way, the outcome of this battle is evident.

Lucy destroys the gently caress out of the APC...

And then Carter shot it a whole bunch?

Correct.

Oh my god, what is this guy's problem with women?

Speaking as a woman in a position of authority, I am quite irked by this man.

Sami said everything I was thinking.

Pfft, hahah!

I'm sorry, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. "Yap, yap, yap, shut your trap!" That's got definite meme potential.

...Anyway, they won. That's the important thing.

Rude doesn't even begin to describe it. The dude is a manchild.

Sami is prone to quickly flaring up with anger, I've noticed.

Yeah, she does that. Excellent strategist, though, so we just kind of let her do her thing.

Do it, Sami. I believe in you.

And her rank speaks for itself. An excellent job.

Anyway, that's the conclusion of the next battle.

So, before we end this interview, I suppose you need to tell me more of your story. Correct?

Yeah. Now where was I..?

Part 2 Additional

cosmicPostman fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yay Lucy's back!

Although I'm a little sad to see her outside her bomber, that it happened so rarely made her showing up seem more special!

Sami is very very strong going forward in the series from here. Victory march is tremendously potent.

She's not quite on the bonkers level of a few of the newer COs but she's still tremendous.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

This line has always cracked me up because I just imagine Sami seeing Flak going through a pedestrian crossing and just loving flooring it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Her transports are buffed... She might be going for the first APC kill!

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Yeah, Sami used the time-skip for some off-screen training. Her infantry has better base damage than in AW1 (130% instead of 120%), Double Time now increases their damage (150%) and Victory March increases their damage even more (180%).
Her powers are still really niche since they only affect two unit types (and those two are near the bottom in terms of strength) but they are also strong enough to (almost) make up for that.

Her line about "finding her own commanding style" might sound silly but that is exactly what she did. Sami is like a JoJo character with a weak stand that managed to find the one use where it is extremely strong. Even a 1HP Infantry can just win a map out of nowhere under the right circumstances thanks to Victory March.

Advance Wars continues to be the most anime of strategy games.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Natural 20 posted:

Yay Lucy's back!

Although I'm a little sad to see her outside her bomber, that it happened so rarely made her showing up seem more special!

Sami is very very strong going forward in the series from here. Victory march is tremendously potent.

She's not quite on the bonkers level of a few of the newer COs but she's still tremendous.

Indeed, Lucy's back in the fray - don't worry, the minute we get bomber access, it's gonna be Lucy inside it. She hasn't quite given up her skies just yet!

And yeah, I can see how Sami would become super good. It'll make her more fun to play as, anyway - I like infantry and mechs!

SoundwaveAU posted:

This line has always cracked me up because I just imagine Sami seeing Flak going through a pedestrian crossing and just loving flooring it.

Honestly, I would. The guy is kind of a dick.

Elfface posted:

Her transports are buffed... She might be going for the first APC kill!

Oh god, Michael's gone insane and is killing everything!

werbear posted:

Yeah, Sami used the time-skip for some off-screen training. Her infantry has better base damage than in AW1 (130% instead of 120%), Double Time now increases their damage (150%) and Victory March increases their damage even more (180%).
Her powers are still really niche since they only affect two unit types (and those two are near the bottom in terms of strength) but they are also strong enough to (almost) make up for that.

Her line about "finding her own commanding style" might sound silly but that is exactly what she did. Sami is like a JoJo character with a weak stand that managed to find the one use where it is extremely strong. Even a 1HP Infantry can just win a map out of nowhere under the right circumstances thanks to Victory March.

Advance Wars continues to be the most anime of strategy games.

I see! Yeah, I thought that she was getting major damage buffs, I'm very excited to see what a 180% mech can do (though honestly, if you're using Victory March, it's probably for the 1-turn capture rather than getting a kill). Sami's definitely become more interesting, and I'm super happy she's found a solid niche!

It's the most anime strategy game. I mean, this map unintentionally featured some of the youngest characters in Orange Star, which did not help... I swear, we have some older veterans too! By which I mean, characters who are like 26. Anime logic.

Jamalex_
Jan 12, 2019
I love seeing Ruin become slightly more irritated with My Dude, but also secretly agreeing with him. Her slip up at almost calling Andy “Dipshit” made me laugh. Also, yay!! Lucy the best girl is back!! And she’s dating Ingo!!! How cute!!! Good content!!!

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

werbear posted:

I still remember Sami absolutely tearing it through the Advance Wars tourney, down to a mirror match in the finals. If that doesn't speak to Sami's power I don't know what does.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Eeepies posted:

I still remember Sami absolutely tearing it through the Advance Wars tourney, down to a mirror match in the finals. If that doesn't speak to Sami's power I don't know what does.

That makes sense to me because from what I understand the competitive meta is (or was for a time, at least) just infantry spam.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'm not sure trying to run Flak over with a normal vehicle would be a good idea, it might take more damage than he does. An APC would work though.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Hahaahahahahahahahhaha oh man Nell basically saying "Surrender, you moron" to Dipshit was just the funniest thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wow, Victory March seems pretty bonkers. Are all the Super CO powers that strong (aside from Flak's terrible one)? I guess they'd have to be, if they're meant to be like Lightning Strike.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

aside from Flak's terrible one

Even that one is not as bad as it sounds; according to the wiki, his Super CO Power makes the attacks of all his units randomly deal anywhere between 70% and 180% of their normal damage. That obviously includes things like Bombers and Battleships.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Spoiler regarding flak:
he's a poor man's Nell. He can roll high on the random damage you get past the listed nymber, but at a cost: he can roll negative numbers as well. His co powers just make the roll bigger turning him into a super gambler who can mow down medium tanks with an infantry and then have an aa chip a mech and get hit hard by the counter.

That said, as the numbers above show he is slated to do more damage on average, but he is very much not consistent

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Another thing re: Flak (not really a spoiler), he doesn't get either a bonus or penalty to his units' power as far as I can tell, that full orange bar in the CO screen just means his base is the normal 100%. For an example of one that has a buff, Sami's infantry have a yellow marker indicating the bonus 30%. But then he has all the spoilered shenanigans in the last post that make all that stuff kind of moot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's a fitting power set for the brute of the Black Hole CO's

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Wow, Victory March seems pretty bonkers. Are all the Super CO powers that strong (aside from Flak's terrible one)? I guess they'd have to be, if they're meant to be like Lightning Strike.

It depends. Some Super CO powers are just huge upgrades over their normal CO powers and are always worth going for. Some Supers have very different utility, so are situational. Some Supers just aren't as good as spamming low CO powers.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Saving for supers doesn't drive up the cost per star as fast and you often get significantly more for the super per star than with a regular power, so in 90% of occassions that's the plan. Theres some exceptions, like sami being able to start the hq capture a turn early or similar. And then there's a few COs that benefit strongly from level 1 spam over saving.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Sami's Super can get up there with Lightning Strike in terms of how gloriously bullshit it is sometimes. It's your strategy from Rivals! in the last game but even better. She was taking notes apparently.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
A) CP, I just found this LP and, while I also am not here for the character dialogues, I wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed the snark so far between the two narrators. The fact that you only show their eyes when they talk somehow makes it better. I'm still laughing at "bell-end in a hat"

2) I don't know if this is a clever play on you mocking dipshit for misspelling "thought" as "though", but in the... 13th panel of the first post you mispelled "brought" as "brough" If you don't care, sorry I mentioned it.

III) You relied on decoy APCs too much in the original game and now, here you are... hoisted with your own petard.

$) Question: If dipshit did something so stupid that Ruin was struck dumb, could we call that "Daze of Ruin"?

I'll show myself out.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

JustJeff88 posted:

A) CP, I just found this LP and, while I also am not here for the character dialogues, I wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed the snark so far between the two narrators. The fact that you only show their eyes when they talk somehow makes it better. I'm still laughing at "bell-end in a hat"

That means a lot to hear. I was really worried about adding the whole Ruin/murder plot, and whether it would lose everyone, but the response so far has been really positive. My intention was to have Ruin be the more strategic side of things, for those who enjoy the strategy, and my dude be the jokey guy focussed on his soldiers, for those who enjoy the story. I'm really pleased with how their dynamic has turned out, and I'm really glad you like it!

JustJeff88 posted:

2) I don't know if this is a clever play on you mocking dipshit for misspelling "thought" as "though", but in the... 13th panel of the first post you mispelled "brought" as "brough" If you don't care, sorry I mentioned it.

Oh! Yeah, no, that's not intentional, and I caught it the other week and... just entirely forgot to correct it. I'll do that soon as I can.

JustJeff88 posted:

III) You relied on decoy APCs too much in the original game and now, here you are... hoisted with your own petard.

I think the first game and the way I played it did kinda force me to... but keeping everyone alive without that reliable decoy is going to be interesting in later maps of AW2.

JustJeff88 posted:

$) Question: If dipshit did something so stupid that Ruin was struck dumb, could we call that "Daze of Ruin"?

I'll show myself out.

get out

(admittedly I only noticed the Days of Ruin pun when you said it, that's quite interesting)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I had one other question... where did you come up with the name "Fliss"? Is it supposed to be a portmanteau of "gently caress this"?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

cosmicPostman posted:

Ah, yes, I had entirely forgotten to do that. Relistened to all the themes so I could remind myself of them, and here's the rundown:

I appreciate this. The music's always been one of my favorite parts of the series. Hell, I can't stand DoR but for years I could still identify it by ear.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

JustJeff88 posted:

I had one other question... where did you come up with the name "Fliss"? Is it supposed to be a portmanteau of "gently caress this"?

Like most of the names in the series, it was entirely arbitrary. I am now debating whether to make that her canon full name though...

Adder Moray posted:

I appreciate this. The music's always been one of my favorite parts of the series. Hell, I can't stand DoR but for years I could still identify it by ear.

Hey, no worries! I've become really fond of the music too, this series really does have a unique sound, and I like it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JustJeff88 posted:

It's a name. Normally short for Felicity. Like it's uncommon but it's a name people have.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

werbear posted:

The next game in the series, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, introduces what are known as Tag Breaks. In Tag-Break compatible maps, each player brings out 2 COs, and can swap between them at the end of their turn.

Once both of a player's CO power meters are full, they can launch the Tag Break - which lets them take two turns in a row, using first the active CO's Super Power, then the other CO's Super Power.

Now, that sounds bonkers enough, but then we have a particular CO pairing: Eagle and Sami.

The basic strategy behind this is to ready a Tag Break, load a Mech onto a T Copter, then use the Tag Break to get the T copter behind enemy lines at lightning (ha) speed to the enemy HQ. Then, with Sami's CO power, the Mech captures the HQ in one turn.

Your opponent may be upset if you pull this on them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Specifically, this let's you double move a t copter and then make a 5 move dash for the hq without worrying about mountains and whatnot. If the enemy hq isn't blocked it WILL be captured.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Those programmers have thought of everything.

mamosodiumku fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 24, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Then again, both Sami and Eagle have SCOPs that take forever to charge. COs with shorter gauges like, uh, Colin/Sasha or Sensei/Hachi can establish a dominant position with power spam (including HQ protection!) before that tag can get rolling. Like I've said, AWDS is very much "when everyone's broken, no-one is".

Sami is definitely a strong CO, though, probably the strongest in AW2 (or AWBW, which mostly uses AW2 stats) that isn't in the Outright Broken tier. Being good with infantry is worth a lot in multiplayer.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 26, 2019

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Quackles posted:

Your opponent may be upset if you pull this on them.

To be fair, this 1: only works once on a person and 2: if they just let you do that they deserve the loss.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Rorac posted:

To be fair, this 1: only works once on a person and 2: if they just let you do that they deserve the loss.

It could get scary when there's a few t-copters and or landers loaded with mechs. Works best in fow.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

JustJeff88 posted:

I keep reading it as "Fils", french for Son.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

...I'm not sure if I'd actually seen Felicity shortened to Fliss before, but that's what my brain immediately parsed it as.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Also just to confirm, yes Sami did get a boost to infantry and mech firepower in this game, from +20% to +30%. As you've seen, it's a nice extra kick.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Interview 3 - “Mounting Resistance” (Or, “I Don’t Think Max Knows What An Ocean Is”)

And we're back. Are you ready, my dude?

Ooh, that sounds exciting. We get to see Max in action, huh?

Indeed. And also Flak, in case you missed him.

I've never missed anyone less.

Horrible thing warning.

OK, I dealt with it that time. They're still absolutely terrifying, but whatever. Also, did Flak seriously forget to use a microphone to talk to the army on the other side of a loving ocean?

...Seems like it, yes. I struggle to understand how "talk into the bit that makes noise" is too complicated, in all honesty.

He's an idiot, that's your answer.

Maybe he is, Max. You don't know.

Black Hole soldiers seem to be fond of name-calling, don't they?

He said "Look! A gorilla!"

I don't think you understand what Max meant by that.

I don't think you understand sarcasm.

What a SAVAGE BLOW, Max! gently caress. Middle school insults really are the best way to argue with enemy officers who intend to invade your country.

My sister would probably refer to these two as "my last two brain cells".

You have a sister?

Not important.

YOUR new empire?

...What?

Oh, my god, watch Star Wars. It's an absolute meme goldmine.

Flak might struggle with microphones, but thank god he's got the basics of manifest destiny down.

These two really are brutes when you get right down to it. Their power is virtually unmatched.

Anyway, let's take a look at the battlefield. This one's a little more complex than the previous ones we've seen.

Is... is that the ocean Max was talking about in the brief? You can't be serious.

He may have been exaggerating a bit.

IT'S ONE TILE WIDE AT POINTS. It barely qualifies as a river!

My dude! Calm down.

Why is Max so surprised to see Nell? He uses three punctuation marks where, like, one would have sufficed.

You'll be pleased to hear that I'm going to cut down on Nell's tutorial dialogue. It isn't relevant to the story, and I can see that you do indeed already know the basics.

It took your two and a half interviews to realise that?

Oh, he's angry for an actual reason? I just thought he was highly-strung.

Those words don't really describe Max's fighting style very well.

Well, hey, I think he'll be fine. He's not smart, but he's smarter than Flak, and that's what counts.

And so, the battle begins.

By which I mean, Nell has more to say first.

For gently caress's sake.

Well, we may as well take this time to introduce the new units for this map, and the deployments, come to think of it.

SELENA
Personality: Confident, legendary soldier.
Proficiencies: Submarine, Medium Tank, [redacted]

Hold the phone, Selena's back? Ah! I've missed her so much!

You like her, do you?

We've had an interesting history. But yeah, she's one of my favourites.

We already know one of the battle copters-

Bro copters.

I'm not calling them that. We already know one of the battle copters, but the other one is new.

FRED
Personality: Lusting for blood.
Proficiencies: Rockets, Battle Copter, Medium Tank

And that's Michael?

Naturally. Oh, we have a new tank, too.

VON PANZER
Personality: Respected mercenary leader.
Proficiencies: Tank, Battle Copter, Recon

Oh, gently caress, it's the MVP! He's back in action!

And, so, here are the deployments for this map.

TODAY’S DEPLOYMENTS
Alfonse, Battle Copter
Fred, Battle Copter
Michael, Transport Copter
Fliss, Infantry
Von Panzer, Tank
Ingo, Tank
Lucy, Artillery
Selena, Medium Tank

Max is incredibly shocked to discover that copters have been deployed. Which is surprising, really; there are very few maps where copters of some kind aren't useful.

They do seem to be quite useful.

One thing I always agree with Max on is that medium tanks are loving great. You can never, ever, have enough medium tanks.

I don't think that's how military strategy works.

How do you think I beat Sturm? I just deployed a million medium tanks.

That was... a really weird way of describing that. "Knock-down-drag-out world of direct combat"?

"Hey, your ability to shoot guns really hard might be helpful for shooting guns really hard but in the air!"

When you're quite finished insulting your own love interest, my dude.

Look, I love her, but I am VERY vocal about her overtutorialisation. When we went on a date, she spent twenty minutes explaining how to order food and split the bill.

Max is evidently less brave than you, and just goes along with it.

That's very true. Max was always my favourite CO. There's nothing more fun than just killing something way more than you actually need to. No kill like overkill!

Every CO has a weakness, though.

He's saying nothing, but in his head he's definitely debating how much trouble he'd get into if he punched Nell.

Wait, what does she mean by this? "You're so strong that you don't need indirects" or "You have a new mechanic that covers your weaknesses"?

Grit.

Are you going to answer every rhetorical question with a serious answer?

Yes I'm aware that in itself was rhetorical, do not say a word

How's he gonna overdo it? He only has one artillery.

You'll be pleased to hear that the battle begins. Firstly, recognising the enemy copter as the biggest threat, Alfonse heads over to damage it.

He slices through it like a knife through really stupid butter.

That was almost funny, Ruin. You're getting the hang of this commentary thing.

Fred heads over to finish.

"Hey, guys and gals! I'm back to reclaim my throne as Orange Star's greatest hero!" Fred exclaims, turning on the enemy copter. "You are evil, and the evil must be destroyed. That's the way the world works!"

"You were never Orange Star's greatest hero. Do you just not remember Dave, Tina and Wilbert?" says Michael. Fred doesn't listen, and readies his guns.

Naturally, he finishes the copter off. The main threat is neutralised.

Fliss gets into Michael after this - can you see why?

Of course. With the copter gone, the tanks will have to move all the way around to reach the Orange Star troops. By my reckoning, they'll clash near that island in the top-right; capturing the city on it, and holding the island, will be the best way to win.

Well, well. Quite adept of you.

Nell's been monologuing about new units whenever Max uses one. I skipped most of them, but we'll look at this one.

Why this one?

It amuses me.

I must admit, there's a weird undertone whenever Nell tells Max he's bad at indirect combat. It's like she's telling him he's got erectile dysfunction.

I... really don't see what you mean.

No, no, you get it, right? "Your dick's a little small, so..."

Are you projecting, Commander my dude?

no

Nell has mentioned it quite a few times.

You really could read all of her dialogue as the most patronising thing if you wanted to.

It wouldn't be far off the truth.

That wasn't as funny as I was promised.

I'm not very good at humour. I just thought Nell repeating Max's ineptitudes would amuse you.

True to your prediction, Max's troops move to take the upper-right island.

Then it's time for the Flak Attack!

I... yes. It's Flak's turn, if that's what you meant.

Oh my god this guy is so dense. How is he a military officer.

Flak's soldiers ignore the copters nearby, and instead make a beeline to the island. Seems like Flak has some strategic ability, anyway.

I mean, it just makes sense. Even his medium tanks would barely scratch Fred and Alfonse.

Oh, Bad News Nell is back. I did not miss her.

Cue Dipshit with the classic "wHaT's An AiRpOrT???"

...What?

Please don't ask. Dipshit's stupidity knows no bounds.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak units stronger!

Max apparently believes that joining is some kind of witchcraft.

"TWO BECOME ONE??? HOW DOES IT WORK?!?" - Max, late at night, probably. Also he's using up all the punctuation again.

They... really wanted to hammer this idea home, didn't they?

That's fair, actually. I used it, like, three times in the entirety of my first campaign.

Still, it is useful in some instances. Options are important.

I mean, no, but can you imagine

15 HP MEDIUM TANKS, GODS OF DEATH, WREAKING DESTRUCTION WHEREVER THEY GO

Anyway, yes, Nell establishes what joining is about four more times.

With that done, however, the battle continues.

I don't see this being a problem.

No?

Fred can move up and take the bridge, then protect the island whilst the rest of Max's troops move up.

That's what he does. Michael drops Fliss off at the property, too. But I must ask... why didn't he just attack the tank with Fred, rather than sitting one space away?

At first, it seems like doing that would be the best option. But copters don't benefit from defensive terrain, and attacking the tank would leave Fred open to being attacked from all three sides - plus, he'd be in range of two medium tanks. Even for a copter that's a lot to handle.

Ah, I see. Taking efforts to keep the troops alive?

After my victory, it seems that Nell made sure that Orange Star's focus is always on keeping soldiers alive.

The rest of the troops head up.

Selena, a confident woman with blond hair and red tips, directs the units as they approach the island. "Alright, everyone, form up. Fred and Alfonse will hold the line, then Von Panzer, Ingo and myself will follow up. Lucy, I'd like you to stay back with Fliss and Michael, and only get involved if necessary - this chokepoint isn't a great spot for you with your reduced range."

"Sounds gut!" Von Panzer replies. He faces the Black Hole troops with revulsion on his features. "I had thought Black Hole dead and in the ground already. I will not rest until they are completely gone from this world!"

"That's the kind of motivation we need. Ingo, Von Panzer! Move out!" Selena says. Alfonse smiles as he hears her commands over the transceiver - she's become such a motivational leader that for a moment, he can almost believe that Tina is back with them, driving them to give it their all in battle.

Flak recognises the might of the Wall of Fred.

By which I mean, all of his troops move forward, but not a single one of them attacks.

Classic AI move, that.

I suppose now is the time for a counterattack, then. Max isn't gonna let all this troops sit on his doorstep for long!

Quite so. Fred goes for the nearest medium tank, as he's the only unit in range that can do good damage to it.

The counterfire is quite weak.

So I see. I really underestimated copters in my last campaign, I think.

Then it was time for Selena to take centre stage.

Selena absolutely decimated the enemy tank, and it could barely scratch her in retaliation.

Do you see why I love medium tanks?!

"This dick captures a property."

I, uh... basically, yes.

Alfonse also goes to strike the medium tank - the weaker it is, the less of a threat it is.

Tina has proved many times that even a medium tank on 4HP is a bona fide threat.

Still, it's something.

The rest of the troops take their positions, as ordered by Max and Selena. They'll be able to launch a powerful assault next turn.

The enemy tank flees for the nearby city to heal.

God drat self-preservation, always getting in the way of the fun.

Wait, did I see that right? The medium tank move up to give the other medium tank space to attack?

Well, it only seems like a good idea.

Yeah, but I could swear the enemy never did things like that before. I wonder if they've gotten smarter.

Considering how much damage it did, though... perhaps they haven't.

The first priority for Day 4 was to finish the capturing.

Rock on, Fliss, you funky little soldier.

Then Selena turned on the weakened medium tank, and in an instant, crushed it.

Selena is hella strong, that's why.

Alfonse chases down the tank attempting to heal, which puts him in enemy territory.

Sure, it's enemy territory, but it's not like they can do much to him. He'll be fine.

And he ruined the tank's day. Good job, Alfonse!

Von Panzer, meanwhile, strikes one of the infantry.

He doesn't quite defeat it, but it's certainly been made harmless.

And good ol' Fred just keep shooting any medium tank in his range. Nice.

It's the biggest threat on the map, so it does make sense to do so.

True. I must admit, tactically, Max is doing very well here.

Ingo heads up to support Von Panzer.

Flak decides that now is the time for him to strike.

Wait, is someone going to d-

The infantry move out of the way...

And the tank fires on Von Panzer. He fires back, and they remain roughly equal.

Oh, that's not bad. You had me worried for a second.

Then the medium tank fires on Von Panzer.

"Von Panzer! Back down before you're destroyed!" yells Selena, and Ingo turns in horror.

"Don't do anything rash-"

The enemy medium tank opens fire on Von Panzer, and the bazooka shots ring through the air, coupled with loud explosions as they strike the tank. Everyone watches with bated breath, horrified at the carnage before them.

"I have told you too many times..." says a voice, filled with determination.

"I am Von Panzer, and I cannot be broken!"

Oh thank god. Don't scare me like that, Ruin!

He certainly seems to be strong-willed. Anyone else would have crumbled.

When you need him to hold the line, he holds the god drat line. I've never met a soldier quite like him.

However, he does retreat to the town that Fliss captured. He needs repairs after that.

Selena is unimpressed by the medium tank.

Does she poo poo it the gently caress up?

Indeed she does.

Fred does a similar thing to the nearby tank.

I really have missed how much damage things do when they're Max-powered. It's just wonderful.

Ingo can just go over to this infantry and instantly murder it, and that's beautiful.

Ingo, I said "instantly murder it"

He tried his best, and that is admirable.

With just the infantry left, there's little left to do on the map. Alfonse takes one of them out.

It always takes one more turn that you expect it to. It's like the Advance Wars Curse or something.

The infantry probably spends his last day regretting his choices.

Indeed. He flees, but not nearly far enough.

Ingo catches up rather quickly, and well, the inevitable happens.

Oh, and then it's back to the grade-school name calling. Amazing.

Nothing to add to this dialogue, my dude?

It's funny enough on it's own, honestly. These two are the stupidest loving dudes.

They are... uncouth, I think, is the best word.

And yet there's an undercurrent of pure gay energy that can't be denied...

OK, now you're definitely projecting.

I cannot think of something more awkward to say than "Wait, you dirtbag!" It just... sounds so weird.

Nell seems to agree that Flak is a dirtbag, however.

Is she about to start fuckin tutorialising

...I'll skip this part.

Another perfect rank. Nell seriously whipped these guys into shape whilst I was away, didn't she?

You're canonically called Maximum Forceps, you can't talk about dumb names.

I am almost positive that you made that up.

Still, that's all from me for today.

There's three missions! Where did you go next?

The audience already know the order I travelled around in. I'll let them tell you.

Three missions... West, North and South. Oh, right, yeah, I'll tell my side of the story now. Here we go.

Part 3 Additional

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

cosmicPostman posted:

SELENA
Personality: Confident, legendary soldier.
Proficiencies: Submarine, Medium Tank, [redacted]

:unsmigghh:
Yeah, Tina and Selena will simply love the game's new toy.

E: I disapprove not attacking with the helicopter that turn. Bro Copters take zilch damage against tanks, even mediums.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 29, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

By the way, Max took a fairly significant nerf in this game, from +50% attack on his directs to +20%. He's still a decent CO because let's face it that's still the majority of units in the game. But it takes him from broken territory into merely "pretty good" territory. That indirect penalty matters a lot more when you aren't one-shotting infantry with light tanks.

For what it's worth, the three missions we have here are all tutorials and we're gonna have to do them all anyway, but to ensure informed voting:

- Andy's mission introduces building from bases and one of Black Hole's new toys. Oh boy do they get some toys in this game.

- Sami's mission introduces botes and a new Black Hole CO who's a fan favourite for many.

- Max's mission introduces planes, rockets and missiles, and depending on the version of the game cP has, might have a line of dialogue from Flak that confirms him as Dumbest CO, even more dumb than Andy. It also reveals a secret: the lab map location.

I kinda want a break from Flak so I'll be voting Sami.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 29, 2019

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Botes are good, so I think I'll second the Sami's Mission vote.

Jamalex_
Jan 12, 2019
Yaaaaay! The MVP is back! I’ve missed that tanky boi so much. I’m gonna vote for Sami too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I agree, we've had too many bandit maps. I mean Flak maps. Sami time.

I'm guessing Dudette is the My Unit from FE12?