Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
No preference on maps here.

I wonder if Black Hole tried cloning other COs than Andy, and Flak is a Max that didn't quite cook right...

I also wonder if Ruin's sister is Rose. They've got the same anime-albino and 'Four letter name beginning with R' going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Sami time

EDIT: Oh yeah, in future please just hover over the choices so we can see which is which. Paul had to pick up the slack on this one. :P

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 29, 2019

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hats are pretty cool, right guys

Omobono posted:

:unsmigghh:
Yeah, Tina and Selena will simply love the game's new toy.

E: I disapprove not attacking with the helicopter that turn. Bro Copters take zilch damage against tanks, even mediums.

I have heard many tales... looking forward to seeing it for myself. I couldn't remember the exact numbers so I didn't want to risk it.

Paul.Power posted:

By the way, Max took a fairly significant nerf in this game, from +50% attack on his directs to +20%. He's still a decent CO because let's face it that's still the majority of units in the game. But it takes him from broken territory into merely "pretty good" territory. That indirect penalty matters a lot more when you aren't one-shotting infantry with light tanks.

Ah, I see! And yeah, that was noticeably less fun than AW1 Max.

Paul.Power posted:

For what it's worth, the three missions we have here are all tutorials and we're gonna have to do them all anyway, but to ensure informed voting:

- Andy's mission introduces building from bases and one of Black Hole's new toys. Oh boy do they get some toys in this game.

- Sami's mission introduces botes and a new Black Hole CO who's a fan favourite for many.

- Max's mission introduces planes, rockets and missiles, and depending on the version of the game cP has, might have a line of dialogue from Flak that confirms him as Dumbest CO, even more dumb than Andy. It also reveals a secret: the lab map location.

I kinda want a break from Flak so I'll be voting Sami.

SoundwaveAU posted:

EDIT: Oh yeah, in future please just hover over the choices so we can see which is which. Paul had to pick up the slack on this one. :P

That's my bad, I forgot that I could preview the missions without actually selecting them. Will do that from now on!

AweStriker posted:

I agree, we've had too many bandit maps. I mean Flak maps. Sami time.

I'm guessing Dudette is the My Unit from FE12?

Nice catch, she is indeed.

Prof is Byleth, to the surprise of basically nobody.

Elfface posted:

I wonder if Black Hole tried cloning other COs than Andy, and Flak is a Max that didn't quite cook right...

I also wonder if Ruin's sister is Rose. They've got the same anime-albino and 'Four letter name beginning with R' going on.

Very interesting theories. I think Flak being a bad Max would make a lot of sense, actually... that's interesting.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
It's a joy to see this game. I tend to think this is the best one in the series, myself. Good luck, CosmicPostman.

Oh, and I vote for Sami. Doesn't make a huge difference between all the tutorial missions, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Imma vote for Andy to be contrarian.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Don't be too hard on Max because of the one-tile ocean; the scale of things is kinda hard to gauge in Wars World. Five dudes take up one tile as do five tanks - as does an entire city (which can get captured by five dudes in two days).

Let's go with another Sami vote. This is clearly a character-driven LP so we should meet a good character for once.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh man, I'm really glad that Selena's back and I'm loving the hell out of her apparent increase in confidence as well. ((And that she's going to drive IT))

Sami for the next mission.

Wait the WHAT happened at Dudecon?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Elfface posted:

Well if you want to go down a rabbit hole... there's zero hard evidence for this, but there certainly are some "dark counterpart" similarities between Flak and Max... and Lash and Sonja, Adder and Grit, and Hawke and Eagle (or Drake if we go by CO powers rather than appearance) for that matter. AW2 is the only Advance Wars that doesn't have cloning as a plot point, so it would not surprise me if there was some kinda cloning shenanigans in IntSys's original plans for the plot, that then got cut.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 30, 2019

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Paul.Power posted:

Well if you want to go down a rabbit hole... there's zero hard evidence for this, but there certainly are some "dark counterpart" similarities between Flak and Max... and Lash and Sonja, Adder and Grit, and Hawke and Eagle (or Drake if we go by CO powers rather than appearance) for that matter. AW2 is the only Advance Wars that doesn't have cloning as a plot point, so it would not surprise me if there was some kinda cloning shenanigans in IntSys's original plans for the plot, that then got cut.

If we go by CO power, isn't Hawke more of a dark counterpart to Andy? Aside from being smarter, of course.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Quackles posted:

If we go by CO power, isn't Hawke more of a dark counterpart to Andy? Aside from being smarter, of course.
Oh boy, spoiler bar city. Name-wise, Black Wave and Black Storm feel to me like direct references to Tsunami and Typhoon. But certainly in terms of that one Orange Star Hard Campaign mission, Hawke sees Andy as a direct rival. Perhaps he's a man of many parts...

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

kommy5 posted:

It's a joy to see this game. I tend to think this is the best one in the series, myself. Good luck, CosmicPostman.

Thank you kindly! I'm enjoying it so far, looking forward to all the interesting new stuff.

werbear posted:

Don't be too hard on Max because of the one-tile ocean; the scale of things is kinda hard to gauge in Wars World. Five dudes take up one tile as do five tanks - as does an entire city (which can get captured by five dudes in two days).

Y'know what, that's fair, actually. Can't fault that.

Natural 20 posted:

Oh man, I'm really glad that Selena's back and I'm loving the hell out of her apparent increase in confidence as well. ((And that she's going to drive IT))

Wait the WHAT happened at Dudecon?

Selena's doing well! She's spent the last eighteen months working on her self-confidence.

And it's simple, really. Commander and Dudette definitely hosed because they were lonely. The jury's still out on whether that's masturbation, incest, or just loving your clone.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hey guys, I just wanted to warn you in advance: there won't be an update this Friday. Essays are hitting hard and I need some time to really knuckle down on them, and the additional time spent on Thursday and Friday working on the update are gonna be hard to find this week. I shall be back the week after, though, so please don't worry. I hope you can all forgive a missed week!

Dissertations do not gently caress around...

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

cosmicPostman posted:

Dissertations do not gently caress around...

Not with that attitude they don't.

don't mind me twitching, I'm having flashbacks to mine here

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I finished uni a few months ago; the fact that you've been able to do your work and also write a story alongside a video game you're also playing is just crazy to me! Good luck on essays, exams and your dissertation.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, I know that feeling. Good luck with your stuff!

I'm in the middle of writing my own Master's thesis.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Interview 4 - “A Risky Strategy” (Or, “Michael’s Life Is Valuable, Dammit”)

Ah, my favourite gal in my favourite police interview room. Shall we?

You sound sarcastic, my dude, and yet if I'm not mistaken, you're enjoying these little chats of ours.

Well, that's neither here nor there. So, where did you end up going next?

The next battle was with Sami, though things didn't quite go as expected.

Oh?

Nell was right to be concerned - I'll say that much.

Well, that just screams "tempting fate", doesn't it?

I suppose I don't really need to tell you what inevitably happens next, do I?

Writing-wise, this is one step below "hey guys, let's split up to cover more ground".

Heh. My sister would have said the same.

Who is your sister, anyway?

It really isn't important. Her name is Misery - she's a writer by trade, I suppose, though she hasn't written in a long time. We used to travel through the universes together when we were younger, though I have not seen her in a while. The Omniversal Police keeps me very busy.

Married to the job, huh?

Something like that. Anyway, as expected, the inevitable happened.

Oh man. I am shocked and surprised by this terrifying development.

Well, I think that's pretty loving obvious, Nell.

She's quite upbeat.

...Although somewhat of a rude young lady.

You're allowed to call her a bitch. I'm not gonna tell anyone.

I enjoy Nell's absolute lack of reaction to this 'grandma' schtick.

WhoooaaaaOK NEVER MIND. Holy poo poo, Nell, I forgot how metal you can be sometimes.

Rightfully, Sami is quite concerned. I would be too if my normally-placid superior had just ordered this.

Nell has a dark side. Luckily, I've never seen it in the bedroom. Yet.

Quite so.

Yeah, Nell, they might be useful here. You don't need to point out the obvious.

Them's fighting words.

If there's one thing Black Hole is good at, it's spamming endless waves of dudes, to be fair.

Is it by boat.

It is indeed, by boat.

Man, I forgot how much I don't mind Sami when she's not talking to Eagle. Eagle's like a black hole of character development. She's all devoted to impressing Nell, it's kind of relatable.

A lot of this is repeated information, to be perfectly honest; we have already seen what Sami is capable of.

Nell is nothing if not a thorough tutorialiser.

You will be unsurprised to hear that all transports are handled with ease.

I mean, it's not like you can gently caress up using Michael. Though this new thing of "not instantly gunning for the APC" is gonna really gently caress with me...

A transport copter! Who is it?

Here are the files.

FLEUR
Personality: Refined and bilingual.
Proficiencies: Transport Copter, APC, Infantry

The copter, stuck in the middle of enemy territory, opens up the transceiver comms to ask for assistance. The minute she speaks, Fliss goes silent, and gulps.

"H-hello? It's Fleur... I've come across some opposition. Are there soldiers nearby to help?"

"Big sis..." murmurs Fliss. She turns to Dave. "We have to help her!"

Dave nods. "Yeah, but she's surrounded on all sides. We made need to... hm. Selena, suggestions?"

"Selena?" Michael says, turning to Dave curiously.

"Yeah, evading the anti-airs by taking the sea might be a good option."

"I'm not sure that's wise either." Michael replies. "That cruiser's gonna destroy her if she tries to rejoin us."

"We have to do something, though!" Fliss says, far louder than usual. "Is there another way?"

For some reason she paused in between this sentence. No, I don't know why.

"If my dude taught us anything, it's that there's always a way to save someone." Selena replies. She's already made a decision. "Naval units, prepare to engage with the opposition. Raynald, make preparations to receive Fleur!"

"Oh, of course." Michael replies, spotting the cruiser on the ocean. "Excellent strategy!"

Wait, I know that name. Don't tell me he's returned?

RAYNALD OF CHÂTILLON
Personality: Curiously quaint crusader.
Proficiencies: Bomber, Fighter, Cruiser

I must admit, of all the soldiers I observed during this time... he was the one I understood the least. I was hoping you could provide some information about him.

Oh, absolutely not. I don't know a single thing about the dude.

...Curses.

So they manage to save Fleur. Thank goodness for that.

I'm surprised your strategic prowess didn't account for that strategy.

Ruin, I don't think I've ever used the fact that cruisers can carry planes in any meaningful sense. It is the most vestigial use of a unit I've ever heard of.

Anyway, with the introduction done, Nell begins to explain the function of the new units.

NO-

Oh, stop moaning, I'll skip it for you. I'll give you the rest of the files, though.

RIN
Personality: Sweet, idealistic daydreamer.
Proficiencies: Lander, Cruiser, Sub

LLOYD
Personality: Undefeated pirate-king.
Proficiencies: Battleship, Missiles, Artillery

TODAY’S DEPLOYMENTS
Dave, Mech
Carter, Mech
Alfonse, Mech
Fliss, Tank
Von Panzer, Tank
Ingo, Artillery
Fred, Rockets
Michael, APC
Fleur, Transport Copter
Rin, Lander
Raynald of Châtillon, Cruiser
Lloyd, Battleship
Selena, Submarine

With Fleur safe, Raynald goes to en-

Hahahahano absolutely not.

What?

Raynald doesn't go, he crusades. Get it right.

For the love of- urgh. Fine. Raynald CRUSADES over to the opposing submarine and does an inordinate amount of damage to it.

They move Selena out of the way, right? She can't- she can't get killed. I won't allow it.

Maybe if you'd stop interrupting me, I'd tell you.

"Alright, lads!" Lloyd yells, gathering his crew and loading up the battleship's cannons. "Target that rocket right there and give 'em hell from us!"

The rockets hit home, surprisingly - I didn't expect Lloyd to be so accurate with his shots.

Lloyd is a badass pirate and I will not hear a single bad word about him.

THEN they move Selena out of th-

OH THANK GOD.

Dave is loaded into Michael's APC...

...which is then loaded on-board Rin's lander.

Ah, the legendary Russian doll manoeuvre. I taught her that, you know.

Dave and Michael disembark from the APC whilst travelling, and as Dave hops out, he hears the sound of running feet and an impassioned yell of happiness, and sighs to himself. Michael notices a smile on his features that he's trying his best to hide.

"DAAAAAVE!" Rin yelps, tackle-hugging him with extreme force, and he's almost knocked off-balance. Despite his apprehension, he gives Rin a huge bear hug, lifting her up, then placing her on the deck next to him. She looks up at him with a cheerful grin.

"Heya, kid. Glad to see you've lost none of your energy. Been a while since we were deployed together, huh?"

"And you're still wearing my friendship bracelet!" Rin says. She throws up her hands, and sure enough, on her wrist a similarly-coloured bracelet; it matches Dave's exactly. Dave sighs.

"Yeah, yeah, I suppose I am..."

"Thank you!" she says, then she looks at him expectantly. Dave stares back quite blankly, and Michael chuckles to himself, deciding to help Dave out.

"The speech therapy has been working out, then?"

"Oh, of course," Dave replies, nodding. "Sorry, I forgot to ask."

"It's going good!" Rin replies. "I still have a few more sessions, but listen to me now! I can thay- uh, say, anything I want!"

Dave can't help but smile at the genuine joy radiating from her face. "I'm glad. I really am. I... I missed you."

"I missed you too, you goon!" Rin says, hugging Dave again. "Now then, let's set a course for the enemy HQ, shall we?"

"Sounds like a plan." Michael replies. "Oh, we're about to be joined by someone new, though - hold off for a moment."

Oh my GOD THEY'RE SO ADORABLE

Control yourself. Their cuteness has nothing to do with whether they will succeed in their mission or not.

Fliss is also boarding the lander.

They plot a course for the enemy HQ, though they don't go too far, for some reason.

Staying out of rocket range. Even at 2HP, those rockets will still hurt Rin, though it probably wouldn't have mattered much either way. Safety is key though.

The land troops make their way up here. Can you explain why they went about it in this way?

Oh, that's easy. Sure, we can't stop Black Hole from taking the base, but there's also nothing stopping us from taking it back ASAP. Von Panzer can wall off anything that gets deployed, whilst the ranged support will help cover the mechs who can capture it.

I see. That makes sense. Oh - you may want this, too. Some information on the new CO.

The good old "small but fierce" archetype. Fair enough.

Ah. She's a terrain CO? How interesting. I wonder how exactly that works?

I'm afraid I'm not certain either.

Don't worry, the audience are good for this kind of thing. My man Paul, and the rest of the regular goons, will come through.

Oh, Sturm lite, that's tooootally not annoying as hell.

That was sarcasm, correct?

Just a tad.

Oh, this is going to be useful and helpful, I can already tell.

...Well, actually...

But... but... why would you TELL THEM YOUR SECRET PLAN?

Somehow I thought you'd be annoyed by this.

Why the gently caress would you tell them that.

I... I don't know.

DEBATABLE, NELL.

Oh, no, I'm quite certain that they have a brain.

...Really?

Emphasis on "a". They share a single brain between all the COs.

Heh. Not bad, that got a smirk out of me.

I do not remember ever hearing about Sami's rep for "surprising the foe".

She's earnest, though. Probably the most endearing of the three main protags.

Some enemies capture some things.

I don't know how to word it in an exciting way.

I tried for a 50-part LP. Trust me, it isn't possible. The raw essence of "this dick captures a property" is eternal and inescapable.

Still, the strategies you outlined are fairly similar to what actually happened, so let's see how it worked out.

Oh, yes, Nell was still explaining things this whole time. It's about here that she finally finishes... sort of.

What do you mean "sort of"?

Well, immediately after she says she's going to leave everything in Sami's capable hands...

GAH

...she pops up again.

She interrupts people CONSTANTLY. I'm surprised I'm not more used to it by now.

Yep, they're CO powers.

Sami's is rather useful, though.

Alright, fine, I'll stop complaining.

Or just get handed the documents by the nice police lady.

If you want me to stop being nice, I can oblige.

Anyway, Lloyd positions himself in such a way that the cruiser has no effective escape option; by taking that out, Selena will be able to move freely around.

Admittedly, that's not terribly useful, considering that there's nothing in the ocean left to kill - besides that sub, but I kinda feel like Raynald has that one covered.

Ooh, one space short of landing. That's troublesome, what with how few days there are to work with.

As you predicted, Raynald quite easily handles this cruiser.

Oh, wow, I guess you could call him a cruise-sader!

I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in hearing a joke.

You grinned, I saw you.

Then we get some more of- what did you call it again?

"This dick captures a property".

Yes. More of that.

Still, Rin's basically right next to the HQ, so there shouldn't be too much trouble. Those anti-airs are gonna shred any mechs that she puts down, though... hm. I suppose that's where Fliss comes in handy.

Lloyd, meanwhile, obliterates this cruiser from existence.

See, it's more fun when you put some flair into it! "Lloyd reduces the innocent cruiser than hasn't actually done anything to anyone during this battle into a fine red mist, because he has nothing better to do."

I'm getting it more now. Selena heads north after this, though she doesn't have much to contribute, besides increasing the morale of the troops. She is good at that, at least.

She learnt from the best. I.e. me.

Rin goes to drop off Michael and Fliss.

Oh, wow, just putting them down? Hm. This seems fine, both of them can tank anti-airs for days, especially with Michael having that forest support.

Von Panzer is sent ahead to clear the path.

Unsurprisingly for the one they call "MVP", he is quite successful in this endeavour.

Taking 4HP from an infantry doesn't sound that successful.

Ah, but Commander my dude... rockets.

The inevitable happens, anyway, and then, taking into account the tank's movement range, Sami moves the rest of the troops up.

Looks like she's taken into account the possibility of the CO power, too, so that's good. Only Von Panzer is in range if she does get it off.

Indeed. Raynald has dropped Fleur off next to Carter, too.

Honestly, seems like an easy map so far.

This Johnson captures half of a property.

Oh my god, just say dick. I promise you'll feel better if you do.

Quiet. Anyway, I have a question for you, my dude.

What on earth were you talking about when you said APCs could survive anti-airs "for days"?

...poo poo, Michael's in trouble.

"Michael, are you sure we're safe?" asks Dave, as the APC is bombarded with shots. Michael grimaces.

"We have the eject button if things go wrong."

"Do you have two?" Dave asks, and Michael falls silent.

"...Ah."

"Michael, retreat if you need to! Don't take more of this punishment!" shouts Selena. "Units, prepare to engage the anti-airs before they destroy our APC!"

As the second anti-air opens fire, Michael bows his head. "..."

"Michael!" yells Ingo. "You and Dave need to hang in there!"

The shots blast into the side of the APC, and it rocks unsteadily. There's a sound like whining metal being ripped in two, and then-

"We're not going anywhere." replies Michael, grinning and lifting his head back up proudly. Selena and many of the other soldiers breathe an audible sigh of relief, though none as audible as Dave's.

"Thank loving god for that." Dave mutters. "Right, let's ready the counterattack!"

Phew, that scared me for a moment. You can't just threaten to kill off Dave and Michael!

"Kill off"? I didn't write this, my dude. This is how it happened.

I know, I just worry...

Would a tutorial from Nell cheer you up?

I'm not even going to grace that with an answer.

This is quite important, though. It's the first map that we've seen CO powers in use, after all.

Bleh, fine, I suppose.

Well, if I were Sami, considering the limited timeframe of this map, normal CO power is probably the way to go. There's little point waiting to charge up the Super CO power.

I saw that many times during this campaign.

Most of them were probably Lightning Strike.

Anyway, Fred and Ingo begin a joint assault on this hapless infantry unit. First Fred fires...

Big damage. Nice job, Fred.

And since Von Panzer wasn't used, he can instead go and fight the anti-air by the HQ.

Although, first, Carter and Fleur decide to take the base.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen! I've got the base that they said we'd never be able to capture! In just two days, it'll be ours! This battle will be won once it goes down!" Carter announces. Dave stares down at his transceiver, then at Michael.

"And who the hell was that?"

"Carter." Michael sighs.

Time for some classic MVP action.

I thought surviving mortal blows was classic MVP action?

Von Panzer can do what he likes. He's not tied down by your rules and societal expectations, man.

Lloyd helps too.

Fliss goes to take out the weakened anti-air, huh? I see the game.

Oh, do you now?

The anti-air is blocking the way, but by taking it out, Michael and Dave can get to a safe place behind the unbreakable wall of Matthis Von Panzer.

Indeed. Nice job.

However, they did deal a lot of damage, and so...

Oh, poo poo, a CO power.

Oh, poo poo again, a SUPER CO POWER. That could be troublesome.

It's certainly a powerful one in the right contexts.

...This is perhaps not the right context.

Pfft, hahah. I love it when they use a badass power and the first thing they do is capture some fuckin' buildings. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Uh oh. Tank this, Von Panzer!

You'll be pleased to hear that he doesn't even break a sweat.

Von Panzer's the best. Now all they need to do is delete that anti-air, and the map's practically over.

Though, unfortunately, the rockets and the anti-air moved out of Lloyd's range.

Carter grins at his nonplussed associates. "Have no fear, we've got this battle under control. Michael, and whoever was riding with him, stay back, where you aren't in any danger. We'll handle it from here!"

"I'm gonna kill this loving kid." Dave grunts.

"Hey!" says Rin into the transceiver suddenly. "That 'whoever' you're talking about is Dave! How about a little respect?"

Carter pauses. "...Like, the real Dave? The one who destroyed Blue Moon on his own?"

"That's me."

"Oh, my god, I'm so sorry, sir. I didn't realise your station! I shouldn't have said anything!"

"No, you shouldn't have." Dave replies. "But not because of anything stupid like your station or mine. Because by shutting up and paying attention to those who are more experienced than you, you learn more. Kids like you will end up dead in a ditch if you keep with this bragging, confident attitude. Don't speak to me and Michael like we're children - here in war, age means nothing. Those who you respect are those who are still here. Hell, even Rin and Lucy are more valid battle strategists that you right now, and I would pay far more attention to them than your self-obsessed heroics. Understand me?"

Carter remains silent for a few moments, completely shellshocked. "...But I... I was top of my class... I don't understand."

"You think on it for a bit. We'll deal with things over here." Dave replies grumpily.

Fliss bullies this anti-air for the crime of thinking it could hurt Von Panzer.

Oh, bullying isn't that threatening.

The punishment for the crime of thinking you can hurt Von Panzer is very simple...

DEATH.

Are you done?

With the anti-airs out of the way, Sami is free to use her CO power.

Aw, she gets more endearing with every line. You got this, Sami!

I prefer the old jingle. Badoo-na-na-na-na-naaaa, da da daaaaaa!

And thus, using the power of moving an extra space, Dave is able to reach the enemy HQ.

Magical.

Then there's a day where nothing happens, besides some capturing.

Nell, she's like, right there. She has this map sorted.

Carter captures the base, though it isn't necessary for success.

And Dave ends the map like the absolute lad that he is.

Indeed. A well-executed map.

I mean, I'm 90% convinced that strat with Michael would have gone horribly wrong if the RNG was slightly less merciful. That was a risky loving play.

Wow, I have not seen this side of Nell in a while. She, uh... huh.

I think Sami's nervousness sums it up nicely.

Yeah. I'd be quite nervous.

Lash seems much less talkative than she was before.

Oh my GOD, this game walks a fine line between challenging war strategy and Saturday morning cartoon.

I kind of understand what you mean.

Whatever, the map's done. Sounds like it all went OK.

Alright, I'll get on with my side of the story in just a sec. Where are we headed next?

Well, Sami's performance was rather solid.

That implies that Max and Andy didn't do so well.

Oh, they did alright, but the battles were very different. As for the next one, I'm sure the audience already know.

Max, and Andy... indeed, it's not a terribly exciting choice, is it? Now then.

Alright, here we go again.

Part 4 Additional

cosmicPostman fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 24, 2019

Jamalex_
Jan 12, 2019
So many cute things happened in this part!!!! I gotta say, I'm very proud of Lucy beginning to use capital letters and Rin getting over her lisp. Also, the return of Raynold was loving glorious.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

FORGOT TO MENTION SOMETHING IMPORTANT

Switching to a fortnightly schedule from hereon. Uni work is going to mount up, and I've been dissatisfied with the writing so far. I want to take more time with the updates, so switching to this schedule should help me, firstly in balancing real life work, and also in producing writing that I'm more proud of. Hope that's all good with you guys, and that you understand.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
"Fortnight?"

*looks it up*

Ah, Biweekly. Gotcha. On that note, yeah, everything involving Rin was worth the extra week's delay, she and Dave aren't allowed to die after all that. Also, welcome to Lash, you will learn to HATE Prime Tactics.

Oh, right. Dipshit

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Lash is an insane CO under the right circumstances. And the AI is even halfway competent in setting up those circumstances! (But really only halfway competent...)

Her inate ability causes her units to not only take 10% less damage for each terrain defence star (like everyone else does) but also deal 10% more damage for each star. Units in a city deal 30% more damage and take 30% less, units on plains just get 10% in both categories. So the power of her units fluctuates wildly - except her air units since those get no terrain bonus of any kind.
Thankfully her CO powers give no offensive bonus in AW2. However both powers still give a defensive bonus of 10% (which stacks additively with any terrain stars).
On top of that her super CO power just flat out doubles all effects of terrain stars - so any unit on her HQ for example will deal 80% more damage and take 90% less damage for that turn.

However if you ever manage to catch any of Lash's unit on a road, the shoal or the open sea they are completely naked. Even her Super CO power will only give those units 10% defence and nothing else which is basically nothing.
The same is also true for any of her air units if she ever uses those.

I vote Max for the next map.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Lash is powerful in land battles.

Let’s get Andy out of the way first.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, Nell. This may be one of my favorite moments in the game.

Anyway, I vote for Andy because I don't believe we've seen cannons before.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Welcome back!

Lash is up there as one of the stronger COs in Advance Wars 2, absolutely - up in the strong-but-not-quite-broken tier with Sami, probably a little below her. She has a solid strength and no weaknesses, other than Terrain Tactics (which turns her into a mini-Sturm with 1 move cost over all terrain) being a bit unimpressive for a power that costs four stars to use*. Prime Tactics, however, is goddamn nuts, rendering her nigh-invulnerable (and hitting like a truck) for a turn, provided she has good cover, as well as the mini-Sturm thing. She's strongest in land battles, as you can imagine, and on an air-heavy map loses a lot of power, but she's a popular choice for many.

Another reason why she's a popular choice for many is that she also falls straight into the perky teen goth stereotype that a lot of people fall for :v:. She's also Black Hole's resident Evil Genius, who designs a lot of the crazy gadgets they use in this game. Speaking of which, I'm picking Andy for the next mission so we can introduce one of those gadgets.

___
* I guess I should do some notes on power stars. Each power star, small or large, costs 9000G of damage to fill (recall that this is calculated as the value of your damage taken, plus half the value of the damage you've dished out), rising by 10% after each use of a power. So a three-star power takes 27,000G to fill. Different COs have different lengths of star gauges depending on how strong IntSys thought various powers were (and as we'll learn once we leave Orange Star, in a couple of notable cases they were pretty wrong about how strong certain powers were...)

The default power bar length is xxxXXX - three stars to use a CO Power, six to use a Super CO Power. Andy, Max and Flak all have this for their meters, as will many other COs.

Sami's power bar is xxxXXXXX - three for Double Time, eight for Victory March. We've already thought about how crazy strong Victory March can be, so this all makes sense.
Lash's power bar is xxxxXXX - four for Terrain Tactics, seven for Prime Tactics. The high cost of Terrain Tactics is odd for what it does but given how strong Lash's day-to-day can be, this is a reasonable compromise. In practice hardly anyone uses it and mostly they save up for Prime Tactics.
We'll be meeting another Black Hole CO much later on who has something similar going on, a power bar that's overly long for what it does paired with a strong D2D bonus. We'll also be meeting a Black Hole CO with a very short power bar to go with being vanilla D2D.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 14, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Andy as well.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Go for Andy to introduce a new gimmick for this game.

So finally the best girl has shown her face. We'll obviously see more of her later on. Quite an anticlimactic way to see your first Super CO Power. (for which the Black Hole one is the best track in the game by the way. Gets a big upgrade when AW moves to a DS soundchip too.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, Lash's regular day-to-day theme is great too. It's just so bizarre sounding.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 14, 2019

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SoundwaveAU posted:

So finally the best girl has shown her face.

I must politely object; best girl is clearly Jess and/or Nell.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I dont care about the best girl, but the best boy is clearly Nell's papa.

Also now that I have remembered Andy's one moment if greatness I should be reminded of how terrible he is at all other times

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

SMaster777 posted:

Also, welcome to Lash, you will learn to HATE Prime Tactics.

werbear posted:

Lash is an insane CO under the right circumstances. And the AI is even halfway competent in setting up those circumstances! (But really only halfway competent...)

AweStriker posted:

Lash is powerful in land battles.

Paul.Power posted:

Welcome back!

Lash is up there as one of the stronger COs in Advance Wars 2, absolutely - up in the strong-but-not-quite-broken tier with Sami, probably a little below her. She has a solid strength and no weaknesses, other than Terrain Tactics (which turns her into a mini-Sturm with 1 move cost over all terrain) being a bit unimpressive for a power that costs four stars to use*. Prime Tactics, however, is goddamn nuts, rendering her nigh-invulnerable (and hitting like a truck) for a turn, provided she has good cover, as well as the mini-Sturm thing. She's strongest in land battles, as you can imagine, and on an air-heavy map loses a lot of power, but she's a popular choice for many.

I, uh, kind of assumed she was bad - this map is a terrible first impression of her if this is true. 90% damage reduction on HQs and an attack bonus on top of that..? Prime Tactics sounds like it has a hell of a niche. I'm gonna have to take care in future maps, huh?

Quackles posted:

It made me laugh, I'll say that. Nell's great.

Paul.Power posted:

I guess I should do some notes on power stars. Each power star, small or large, costs 9000G of damage to fill (recall that this is calculated as the value of your damage taken, plus half the value of the damage you've dished out), rising by 10% after each use of a power. So a three-star power takes 27,000G to fill. Different COs have different lengths of star gauges depending on how strong IntSys thought various powers were (and as we'll learn once we leave Orange Star, in a couple of notable cases they were pretty wrong about how strong certain powers were...)

Ah, I see! Thanks for the info, this is really useful. (I mean, I think I've already established that I very much enjoy messing with an enemy COs power meter, so having a clear indication of exactly how much funds damage each star is worth is going to be very handy in future maps, I'm sure.

Can't wait for all the new powers... I shouldn't be surprised that this game is also not terribly balanced, should I?

SoundwaveAU posted:

So finally the best girl has shown her face. We'll obviously see more of her later on. Quite an anticlimactic way to see your first Super CO Power. (for which the Black Hole one is the best track in the game by the way. Gets a big upgrade when AW moves to a DS soundchip too.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, Lash's regular day-to-day theme is great too. It's just so bizarre sounding.

Mm, it's an interesting theme, but I do quite like it.

Quackles posted:

I must politely object; best girl is clearly Jess and/or Nell.

I feel like I kinda also have to say Nell, considering, uh, the plot. Though even when I'm not being my dude, I do very much like Nell. Now who's this Jess you mentioned, and why is she best girl..?

FoolyCharged posted:

I dont care about the best girl, but the best boy is clearly Nell's papa.

Also now that I have remembered Andy's one moment if greatness I should be reminded of how terrible he is at all other times

Agreed there. Nell's papa, military Santa, is a good lad. And honestly, seems like everyone agrees with you - getting Dipshit out of the way first seems like the majority so far.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016

cosmicPostman posted:

I feel like I kinda also have to say Nell, considering, uh, the plot. Though even when I'm not being my dude, I do very much like Nell. Now who's this Jess you mentioned, and why is she best girl..?

I find Lash kind of boring, myself. But I just don't like that goth Lolita thing at all. Oh, and Jess is the new Green Earth CO. I can't remember at all when she appears, I fear.

Right, vote! Lets get Dipshit done.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would not have taken Nell for a 'Bring them to me, alive' sort of boss.

Dipshit loves cannons!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

kommy5 posted:

I find Lash kind of boring, myself. But I just don't like that goth Lolita thing at all. Oh, and Jess is the new Green Earth CO. I can't remember at all when she appears, I fear.

Right, vote! Lets get Dipshit done.
Jess shows up pretty late. Blue Moon and Yellow Comet are midgame, Green Earth is endgame.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The non spoiler version of which she is:
Shes the lady just casually carrying a tank shell from the intro.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

SMaster777 posted:

"Fortnight?"

*looks it up*

Ah, Biweekly. Gotcha.

Semiweekly :v:. Biweekly would be twice a week.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Staltran posted:

Semiweekly :v:. Biweekly would be twice a week.

Biweekly actually means both twice a week and every other week! (Source)
So it's possible to have a biweekly biweekly publication.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Paul.Power posted:

Jess shows up pretty late. Blue Moon and Yellow Comet are midgame, Green Earth is endgame.

FoolyCharged posted:

The non spoiler version of which she is:
Shes the lady just casually carrying a tank shell from the intro.

kommy5 posted:

Goth, valid. Lolita, less so. And ah, she's crayon lady! I look forward to meeting her in, like, the endgame.

Quackles posted:

Biweekly actually means both twice a week and every other week! (Source)
So it's possible to have a biweekly biweekly publication.

...Huh. I don't know if I knew that, actually. Good to know!

Night10194 posted:

I would not have taken Nell for a 'Bring them to me, alive' sort of boss.

They called her grandma. Truly a crime worthy of bringing out Nell's 'mafia' side.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
To be fair to Lash, anyone over the age of 25 in an IntSys game is considered to be old.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

PizzaProwler posted:

To be fair to Lash, anyone over the age of 25 in an IntSys game is considered to be old.

You spelled JAPAN wrong.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Quackles posted:

Anyway, I vote for Andy because I don't believe we've seen cannons before.

I played the hell out of all of the AW games, and I completely forgot about this. Goddamn.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

PizzaProwler posted:

Fivemarks posted:

You spelled JAPAN wrong.

Come to think of it, this does raise an excellent point. Are there canon ages for the characters in AW, or is it mostly just guesswork based on how they look?

Rorac posted:

I played the hell out of all of the AW games, and I completely forgot about this. Goddamn.

I certainly won't be forgetting in a hurry, that was the absolute funniest moment in the game so far. It's so ridiculously out-of-character and yet also kind of in-character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Voting for Dipshit if the votes are still open. His map gets to show off at least one of the new features from AW2, Cannons.