Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Lock me in a room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Wait is this actually an anime video game

Oh no

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mr. Humalong posted:

Wait is this actually an anime video game

Oh no

it's good, OP

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'm in the game

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Just two more peeps and we'll be starting. :)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

Just two more peeps and we'll be starting. :)

Any moment now :)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cmonnnnnnn

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

cmonnnnnnn

okay

##vote steak

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Gamewhen.gif

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dancer posted:

okay

##vote steak

just fyi im not going to post for the entire day 1, so that i dont get lynched

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

gather your friends, we really need 2 more saps to realize my vision.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnH9Gbw4ybk

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the fact that beatrice has a sprite is a spoiler according to the OP just fyi :P

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mr. Steak posted:

the fact that beatrice has a sprite is a spoiler according to the OP just fyi :P

you want to throw down, you want to come to pound town where i will pound you down into the ground 5 feet underneath, huh?! huh?!! huH?!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Lol, the rename

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Steak I very much recommend not fighting snooze.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I very much reccomend steak fight snooze so snooze can make steak cry irl and then that can be a thing that steak and I will have in common

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Are you still looking for someone? I can join.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Are you still looking for someone? I can join.

yes, thank you very much! You're in! :)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
##vote snooze

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm in. So one more after me?

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 17, 2019

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm in. So one more after me?

Yes! If you need any help I'm sure one of these posters will tell you about the rules. I'll put up a link to the rules sometime tonight and begin assigning roles and such. The game should begin sometime tomorrow! There will be a discord link.... soon. Uh, I just need to make sure roles are working properly!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

Yes! If you need any help I'm sure one of these posters will tell you about the rules. I'll put up a link to the rules sometime tonight and begin assigning roles and such. The game should begin sometime tomorrow! There will be a discord link.... soon. Uh, I just need to make sure roles are working properly!

Discord is what is used instead of PM's for sending in night actions, and a private mafia/scum chat room.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Okay! I've played mafia and werewolf in real life before, so I'm guessing this is something of a translation of it into digital form, right? With an Umineko flare of course.

So for mechanics, will it be: send night actions to GM (you) through discord DM, and if I get a special group chat based on role, we can coordinate actions. Then for the daytime debate do we use discord or the forum?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

Okay! I've played mafia and werewolf in real life before, so I'm guessing this is something of a translation of it into digital form, right? With an Umineko flare of course.

So for mechanics, will it be: send night actions to GM (you) through discord DM, and if I get a special group chat based on role, we can coordinate actions. Then for the daytime debate do we use discord or the forum?

You've got it! The game will start once I'm all organized. :)

No one posts on sunday anyways so this should be fine.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MegaZeroX posted:

from a recent noob, heres some things to know before the game starts:

-the thread is the field of play. NEVER talk about the game outside of the thread (besides other places approved in your role pm, such as a scum chat).

-a very strict rule that isn't obvious to an in-person mafia veteran, is that you are forbidden from quoting anything the mod sends you privately. you may paraphrase but not quote. this is to prevent meta-gaming.

-the beginning of day 1 is considered "joke phase" because there's literally nothing to deduce or threads to follow yet, so people just post random bullshit. don't get caught off guard by this like i did in my first few games.

and here's a noob glossary: (as much as i can remember right now)

vt = vanilla town
nl = no-lynch
nk = night kill
pr = power role
sk = serial killer
3p = 3rd party
pgo = paranoid gun owner
rb = roleblock

lylo = "lynch or lose", an endgame scenario
mylo = "myslynch and lose", an endgame scenario
wifom = "wine in front of me", aka pointless circular reasoning
omgus = "omg you suck", aka pointless retaliatory voting
bus = "throw under the bus" aka scum attacking other scum

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I keep enrolling for games in the middle of the night and then completely forgetting that I’ve done it. Then having a huge anxious gently caress moment when I remember lol. Thankfully this time it happened before the game started.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lets not use the word lynch this game friends

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

We can stick to execute, kill, or lunch for the thread.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh yeah, also some people are uncomfortable with the standard term used for town's collective kill.

in my defense i needed to use that specific term to explain some acronyms. plus, people are bound to use the term sometimes so it's good to know. its also good to know that the common alternative "lunch" means the same thing

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i prefer "lunch" because its hilarious to see people debating whether to have a "steak lunch"

if i say the more loaded term, know its just cuz its what im used to

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Any more sacrifices still needed? I wouldn't mind getting back into mafia.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Cyouni posted:

Any more sacrifices still needed? I wouldn't mind getting back into mafia.

You're in!
And we're full!

Lets get this ball rolling, please join this discord and could the first couple of people mention what channels they see? Everyone needs to join discord for anti-cheat purposes. I remember that I need to remove everyone's read permissions before assigning roles so you can't see who gets what special roles.

https://discord.gg/A7PS5M

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I edited OP with these rules, they should be generally true for this game for new to forums mafia folks.

General Mafia Rules stolen via Dancer via Yami, via Natural 20, from Somberero

1. Don't be mean to each other. This is a game, part of the game is having people react, but if you think you’re reacting badly, walk away, calm down, come back later.
2. For the lurker mechanic for this game, anybody below 10 posts per game day (before the town execution) will be allowed to be executed the following day without ending the day. This will be announced by the mod.
3. Don't edit your posts.
4. Don't talk after you're dead. I'll send you a PM to a Dead doc if you want to chat poo poo.
5. Feel free to post after the hammer/during twilight about non-game stuff.
6. Flavour is flavour, you’re welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want. However, scum are backed by fakeclaims. Additionally whilst I try to retain flavour justification for many abilities, they will not always match expectations.
7. No replacements after D2.
8. Don't directly quote any communication from me, including your role pm. If you have OOT communication with another player, the rule still applies.
9. Don't fake day actions.
10. If you are affected by a day action, do not post under any circumstances until we post the result of the Action. Everyone else is good to keep going.

A note about action language

1. An action that successfully activates and will have it's effect. "your action SUCCEEDED"
2. An action that does not successfully activate will have no effect. "Your action FAILED."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result, this is a mod error. This is because your intended target is not necessarily who is actually targeted due to manipulative roles.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah the discord is good

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can only see the one channel.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Okay, thanks! Just going to be rolling out roles and once everyone's in we can start. :)

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Who here is triggered by the word lynch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I'm triggered by the phrase "roody tootie, fresh and fruity" please do not use it tia