Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

:siren: As usual, no unmarked spoilers please! If you absolutely have to talk about stuff from later in the game, please use spoiler tags. In particular, I will probate anyone who talks about the final boss without spoiler tags! :siren:

What is this game? Why have I never heard of it?
Deadly Creatures is a unique character action game released in 2009 exclusively for the Nintendo Wii. You may remember it from that one time the Game Grumps tried it out, loved it, but then gave up after five episodes. Typical.

Instead of controlling a cocky demon slayer or vengeful demigod, players guide a tarantula and a scorpion through the Sonoran Desert, fighting off other arachnids and insects, and fleeing a particularly irksome rattlesnake. At the same time, two humans (played by Billy Bob Thornton and the late Dennis Hopper in one of his final roles) are searching for lost gold. Will our two parties cross paths, and who is the true deadliest creature in the desert?

This game was developed by Rainbow Studios, who are mostly known for the MX vs. ATV racing franchise. This means that, after Hydrophobia, this is now the second game in a row that pdPreciousRoy and I have played that's an ambitious adventure title made by a studio primarily known for sports titles.

One of the things I really like about this game is how differently the scorpion and tarantula control. The tarantula moves quickly, strikes fast, and has considerably less health, while the scorpion can tank hits, block, and has a few specific mobility options that let him play more like a heavyweight boxer standing his ground. It makes for great gameplay variety, as the player swaps between the two fighters after every chapter.

Plus, the animations and sound design are incredibly violent. Somehow, this game got away with just a T rating in North America.

Is this going to be a 100% playthrough?
Not a chance. The main collectibles are grubs, and there are 450 of the bastards. I will, however, be collecting all the Leaf Crickets, which increase our characters' health.

What's the update schedule like?
As often as I can. I've learned my lesson from the Hydrophobia LP, i.e. I don't have the time and patience to commit to regular lore updates, so by focusing on videos instead of image-heavy posts, I should (emphasis on should) be able to get a better schedule going.

Playlist

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

reserved

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Our first video covers Chapters 1 and 2, where we get to see our protagonists in action. Good Lord, this game is amazing.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

That is extremely helpful, as most of our LP commentary will be focused on the story, gameplay, level design and behind-the-scenes details. I really appreciate the info dump! :cheers:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

If I have one terrible thing to say it's that I really dislike the cover art. It looks so hopelessly generic.

The official soundtrack album has a zoomed-out variant on the cover art image that looks much better in my opinion.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 16, 2019

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

To tide you over until the next few episodes, here's a behind-the-scenes interview with Billy Bob Thornton, where he talks about how impressed he is with the game, and some anecdotes about growing up surrounded by wild snakes in rural Arkansas, including one funny story involving his old garage band and a rosy boa. (Don't worry, this video doesn't have any spoilers. There are some lines we haven't heard that are taken out of context, but nothing that will ruin major plot points.)

NOTE: The original video does not contain subtitles. I have subtitled the video myself, which you can access, if needed, by clicking the Closed Captioning icon on the YouTube player.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

On to chapter 3, where we talk about iPhones, gold, and web shooting mechanics.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

With all the bug knowledge provided by Fiendly, Mr. Vile and Chimera-gui, I figured I would give a knowledge dump of my own related to some of the history (and myth and bullshit) behind this game.

Struggs mentions that the gold he's looking for was stolen by Lumes from the Confederates. For those who may not know, there are many, many legends about lost or hidden gold hidden somewhere in the Americas, from the Seven Cities of Gold in New Spain to the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine in Arizona.

This legend does at least have some basis in history, though, albeit on shaky ground. During the American Civil War, the Confederate States of America lasted long enough that they were able to establish a treasury, banks, and appoint a handful of dedicated depositaries for each bank. It is believed by some that, as it became clear the Confederacy was going to lose the war, the banks stashed away caches of gold as a reserve and hid them in the desert, in the event the South rose again.

The only documented evidence I could find of anything close to this happening was after the Union capture of New Orleans in 1862:

The Military Operations of General Beauregard in the War Between the States, 1861 to 1865: Including a Brief Personal Sketch and a Narrative of His Services in the War with Mexico, 1846-8, Volume 2, Part 1 by Alfred Roman posted:

About this period [with the Union advancing on New Orleans] a remarkable occurrence took place which is worthy of note. When New Orleans was about to be evacuated, in April, 1862, the civil and military authorities advised the banks and insurance companies to put their funds in security beyond the reach of the enemy. They nearly all did so, and, among them the wealthiest of all, namely, the "Bank of Louisiana," which sent its assets, mostly of gold and silver, to the extent of some three millions of dollars, ...

Forcible possession however was taken of the coin; and the Secretary of War [G. W. Randolph], when applied to for further instructions, ordered that, inasmuch as [Mr. W. H. Young, President of the Bank of Columbus] had been "appointed a depositary" by [John Boston, Confederate depositary], "the money be left in the hands of the former upon his consenting to receipt for it as the depositary of the Treasury Department." This Mr. Young declined to do; ...

What became of that coin is, we believe, even to this day, a mystery. It was, doubtless, spent for the benefit of the Confederacy; but how, and to what purpose - not having been regularly appropriated by Congress - has never been made known to the South, especially to the stockholders and depositors of the "Bank of Louisiana". That institution was utterly ruined by the seizure of its most valuable assets, thus arbitrarily taken from it. It would have been more equitable to leave this coin untouched, or, if not, to take no greater proportion of it than of the coin of all the other banks in the Confederacy.

Still, it's highly implausible that this would be the gold Struggs is looking for (geographically speaking, New Orleans is on the opposite side of Mexico from the Arizona portion of the Sonoran Desert).

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Just to clarify something I said earlier:

my dumb rear end posted:

I will probate anyone who talks about the final boss without spoiler tags! :siren:

Speculating about what the final boss could be is totally okay (and if you manage to guess it correctly, I'll leave it be without comment), but spoiling the final boss without using tags will get you probated.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I want to say it's George Struggs as a co-op Shadow of the Colossus-style boss where you have to switch between the two protagonists and work together to beat him.

You somehow came up with an idea that's even better than the actual final boss. Congrats.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

This is one of my favourite episodes that Roy and I have done so far, on any of our LPs.

For context, here is our old Let's Play of GUN we were talking about at the halfway mark of the video.

(Also I am terribly sorry for mispronouncing Worf’s name. Please don’t kill me, Trekkies.)

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 25, 2019

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I finally recorded all the footage for this LP. Next step: editing out all my aimless wandering searching for those last missing leaf crickets.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Quick update on upcoming videos:

I don't know exactly when the next few videos will be released. Roy and I have recorded commentary up to Chapter 6, and I have all the gameplay footage recorded (editing some of it as we speak), and I hope to get the rest of the LP uploaded ASAP.

As for the video format, we will continue to do one chapter per video, except for Chapters 9 and 10, which will be in one video. There is also another behind-the-scenes interview, this time with Dennis Hopper, which will be posted after the final gameplay video as it contains spoilers for the final boss.

Thank you all for your patience, and I promise you we will finish the game!

I am also considering whether or not to do the rest of the videos as YouTube premieres. Would you be interested in watching the LP episodes live and chatting with fellow goons? Please let me know in the thread either way.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I have a weird schedule and may not be able to watch live.

That's alright. It's not like the episode will go away after the live broadcast finishes.

I'll try it as an experiment for Video 4 (date TBD) and see if that helps engagement.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Here's something silly I put together in about ten minutes while editing the next few episodes of the LP. Please excuse my terrible Photoshop/GIMP skills:

:bahgawd: He's goin' for the stingah!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

We're back with the scorpion as we unlock two of the best moves in the game. Really!

I've decided against doing a premiere for this video. I might do one next time, though.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

CONTENT WARNING: This episode contains a detailed description of what would happen to a man's testicles if they were stung by a scorpion. We didn't bring that up; blame the game's writers.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Roy and I are looking to record a few more episodes later this week, and hopefully we'll have the LP finished before the new year.

The remaining videos are:
  • Part 6 (Chapter 7)
  • Part 7 (Chapter 8)
  • Part 8 (Chapters 9 and 10, post-LP discussion)
  • Interview: Dennis Hopper

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

Oh that conversation was made worst in the previous thread since it was brought up that the venom of the Brazilian wandering spider is capable of causing priapism potentially leading to impotence.

In fact, there are currently studies in a component of the venom for use in treating erectile dysfunction.

Tony Snark was also nice enough to note that in 2016, an Aussie got bit on the wang by redback spiders twice in the same year while using portashitters: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37481251

What the gently caress is Wrong with You covered story about a man who got bitten in the dick by a katipo as part of episode twelve: All Creatures Great & Dumb

And let's not forget the study done in Iran of a man stung in the scrotum by an androctonus crassicauda.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's time for Chapter 7, in which I praise the level while desperately trying to convince you that it's not actually good. Do I succeed? Only one way to find out.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Here are the two Deadly Creatures commercials we talked about in today's video (links spoiler tagged for those who haven't watched the episode yet):

"Geico Lizard" TV Spot

G4 Motion Capture sketch

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Good news, everyone! All the remaining Let's Play videos have been edited and uploaded, and are ready to go! The schedule will be as follows:

MODIFIED! I'm still working on subtitles for the Dennis Hopper interview, so I'm moving things up a bit.
Thursday the 19th - Video 7 (Chapter 8)
Saturday the 21st - Video 8 (Chapters 9 and 10)
Sunday the 22nd - Extra #2 (Dennis Hopper interview)

We're almost at the end, folks. I can taste it! I hope you're as excited as I am.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 19, 2019

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

My apologies for the inconsistent formatting on the last two episode thumbs. I accidentally deleted the entire directory when I only meant to delete the raw files - thankfully, the episodes were up on YouTube already. I'm definitely not making that mistake again.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

The time has come. Are you ready for an incredible final boss?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

On the other hand, while up to now this game was unarguably completely accurate in its portrayal of everything, it's at this point it unfortunately turns to fantasy, as there's no way Struggs would be able to do anything after that first sting, not to mention the third.

We can say that his hatred of arachnids was so strong that he was running on pure adrenaline and only lapsed into the coma after the gas station exploded.

And if we're really nitpicking plot holes in the otherwise good story, how did Wade know about the gas station (as narrated in the intro cutscene) if he was killed by Struggs in Chapter 7? Are there ghosts in the Deadly Creatures universe? Is the spirit of Wade torturing Struggs from beyond the grave, giving him just enough energy to survive the pain of three testicle stings?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Here we go, the actual last video of the LP - the behind-the-scenes interview with Dennis Hopper. This one's definitely worth a watch, in my opinion.

As with the Billy Bob Thornton interview, I made subtitles which can be accessed with the CC button on the YouTube player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I just wanted to say one last thank-you to everyone who helped out in the thread. You guys are awesome and I couldn't have pulled this off without you!

My next LP will be posted sometime in the next few weeks. I'm in the process of moving at the moment, though I've recorded a lot of footage for said LP. It's going to be pretty crazy, but I think you'll like it.