Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh, yeah, totally unsuspicious.

I wonder if the play is to A) get Willmore killed during the raid, B) get Yvgeni killed during the raid because he knows too much or C) get both of them killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, totally unsuspicious.

I wonder if the play is to A) get Willmore killed during the raid, B) get Yvgeni killed during the raid because he knows too much or C) get both of them killed.

I won't have any free time to record and upload a video until Saturday and I don't really want to spoil anything. I've already established that there are ending sequences so any of these could be a possibility, I don't trust Cook and I will trust him even less knowing that he is now armed and leading us into a potential firefight.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

In this episode, we encounter a fair amount of bullshit. Firstly, there is Cook who has now levelled up his bullshitting abilities to entirely new levels. Secondly, there is the action sequence which was an absolute nightmare to get through because of the FMV lag. I cut around ten minutes of recording in the end, part of that was forgetting what I was doing because of having to redo the action sequence many times over.

But anyway, it's done. I think that I've screwed up a line of dialogue with Astadourian and I didn't make the most of the dialogue with someone else later on.

I think that we're about two-thirds into the game at this point in time, I will try to do some more recording this weekend.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Those clips of bad guys being shot were really something special.

Also, can you call Astadourian yourself before going on the raid?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Darkest Auer posted:

Those clips of bad guys being shot were really something special.

Also, can you call Astadourian yourself before going on the raid?

We don't have her number, unfortunately. The only phone numbers that are listed on our phone directory are Cook, Amis, Shanks, "Computer Crimes" and Barbara Willmore. I may have to call Barbara in a later video to see whether it's his mother or the ex-wife.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 8, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Just a quick update, I decided to record a couple of videos this weekend and I ended up completing the game in the second recording session. I'll upload one on Tuesday and the last one on Friday. I'll start working on extra footage over the course of the next week or two.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh drat, we're already coming up on the end of the game? That's quick.

Also I thought maybe John got irradiated by that ooooooorb.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm starting to notice that this was the sort of game that was essentially scripted as if it were a TV show (or a TV movie), and that doesn't work well for the pacing of a game. The action scene would have been fine to rush to, and the somewhat sketched-in characterization is perfectly okay in that context, but we really expect to spend a little more time and get more details when going through it at our own speed.

The mention of 'Sand Point' triggered a vague memory of a 'Sand Point NAS', and in fact that turned out to be the accurate location. It was a real place, although renamed to Naval Station Puget Sound by the 1990s. And looking at it, it was shuttered in 1995, meaning there's a good chance they're actually filming there. I have no idea of what it would look like, but it kind of seems like a Navy hangar building.

Gold Bar is a real town, I think somewhere up in the hills.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 9, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In the penultimate episode, we get even closer to finding out just what the hell is going on and we speak to several new people as well as some more people from the show. I can't really give out much information because of spoilers, we've already spoken to Frohike so I don't think that it's spoiling much with this banner.

The pacing of this game has really changed in the second half. In the first half, we could explore locations and speak to people at our own leisure. In the second half, it's been mostly exploration within a time limit, action sequences and people demanding prompt answers or else! When I say prompt answers or else, some conversations can actually result in a game over if you don't answer quickly enough. Because of all of this, the second half of the game has just flown by as there hasn't been much time to really stop and take things in, when we do get a chance to stop there really isn't much to see apart from the few points of interest that the game wants to show you.

I will resume the recording of the additional footage shortly, my work schedule is practically non-stop with the run up to Christmas. I have no plans to start a new LP this side of Christmas so when I do have free time I can focus on recording more when I do have some free time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have to admit, I've always liked the stuff involving the "Black Oil"(which we know is involved because one of those stilettos is), it was always some of the more effective horror stuff in X-Files.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm still impressed with this game. It should have been a shoddy hastily thrown together cash-grab like most media tie-ins, with awful voice acting roughly dubbed over, but there's been a lot of genuine work put in. It's not perfect but it's so much better than it has any right to be.

That's no reason to have included Frohike though. I never liked the Lone Gunmen much, they were fine as an occasional brief joke but then Carter decided they needed more and more screentime because obviously everyone loved them right? and don't even get me started on their spinoff.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final episode of this LP. I'm not going to spoil anything as a hell of a lot happens. I decided not to cut out anything from the last location, apart from the retries that were down to FMV lag, I wanted to keep everything intact even though I got a little lost a couple of times.

So far I've replayed and re-recorded everything up to and including the conversation with Wong. I will record a chunk tomorrow and will most likely be doing bits and pieces over the next week. I'm aiming to have a bonus video up next weekend, maybe a second before Christmas. I can't really plan too much just yet until I've finished the recording. Most of the conversations in the first half so far have been linear, at the moment I've only had one conversation that deviates. A lot of the additional footage I have is mainly people telling Willmore to stop being a dick. If there's enough of them I will make a separate video for ending sequences.

Black Robe posted:

That's no reason to have included Frohike though. I never liked the Lone Gunmen much, they were fine as an occasional brief joke but then Carter decided they needed more and more screentime because obviously everyone loved them right? and don't even get me started on their spinoff.

I quite liked The Lone Gunmen. They were involved in some good storylines, but others felt like they were shoehorned in a little. I wasn't a fan of how they were written out at all.

I haven't watched the spin-off, everyone I know who has seen it has told me that it's not good. I do plan to watch it one day but I'm in no rush at all to do it.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 14, 2019

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I think the game would have been better if the plot had followed some "monster of the week" formula like in the earlier seasons instead of the overarching Colonist plot. I remember really liking the game up to Day Six, then it sort of stumbled its way to a conclusion, and, naturally, hints at a sequel we never got. It's a shame.

The ending credits music was awful too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A monster of the week probably would have been a better option for the game, but I guess they needed reasons to tie it in with the show as well as for the crossovers. I enjoyed the game and the way that they went with it, I just would have prefered that the second half was better paced or that the game was interspersed more evenly throughout.

I'll be recording some more in short bursts throughout the day. The deviations in conversations can lead to some fun moments:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I remain amazed by how few fucks Wilmore gives, just watches his former friend get stabbed and die horribly without batting an eye, guns down like... what's he up to by the end of the game, ten or something? Ten guys, including other government employees, without giving a poo poo.

Mulder asks him to slow someone down and Wilmore's first response is to just blast them away casually.

Also goddammit Mulder the fourth wall.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I have been very productive today, in real life and also with recording and editing additional material. This video covers all of the additional scenes, dialogues and reactions that were missed in the main playthrough. I'm not going for a 100% run so it's entirely possible that I've missed several things. I will be editing a second video at some point which will contain all of the ending sequences that I have found, again, it may be possible that I may have missed some but I did try to be thorough.

One thing that may be of interest to some people - I recorded the optional final showdown scene between Willmore & Cook in full. Cook does the stereotypical bad guy routine of revealing everything before he kills the hero. If you want to jump straight to the scene it's at around the 31:38 mark.

Bonus Video - Additional Scenes & Dialogue

Everything is timestamped in the video description.

Day One: Other reactions to Cook, Messing around with Skinner & Shanks, Alternate dialogue choices and messing with Cook, Messing with the motel owner, Consulting with Shanks, Messing with Wong, Messing with Amis.

Day Two: Messing with the medical examiner, Additional dialogue and reactions with Astadourian, Messing with Astadourian, Twitching corpse (Paranoia), Additional Astadourian dialogue, Additional Amis dialogue, Calling Barbara Willmore, Reactions and additional dialogue with Cook.

Day Three: Additional dialogues with Astadourian (Also Amis), Alternate rejection by Astadourian.

Day Four: Additional dialogue with Astadourian.

Day Five: Reactions and additional dialogue with X, Additional dialogue with Dr. McIntyre, Additional dialogue and messing with Scully, Additional dialogue with boxcar guy.

Day Six: Alternate solution to the government agents, Additional dialogue with Scully, Final showdown with Cook (Full dialogue.)

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Wow, I never saw the end conversation with Cook. That was, uh, something.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Don't do that.

What's the matter with you?

I don't want that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I finished work early tonight and decided to compile the second and final video of this LP:

Bonus Video - Ending Sequences - Shooting an innocent person, Arresting an innocent person, Suicide, Dockside Warehouse Stakeout, Gordon's Hauling Vehicle, Gordon's Hauling Office, Smolnikoff Warehouse, Hanger 4, Gold Bar Hospital, Rauch's House, Secret Base.

I managed to trigger the scene with The Cigarette Smoking Man, you'll be able to see him for yourself just after the 3:00 minute mark.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. I've really enjoyed playing this game, it's been a fascinating experience and something that I've been wanting to do for a very long time. It's been nice getting more experience with LP'ing another first person\FMV adventure game, I'll keep more in mind for the future.

Twelve out of the last fourteen games that I've LP'd have been sci-fi adventure games, I think that it's time to take a break from the genre for a bit. I'm planning an LP megathread after the new year, right now it's on hold in the planning stages until after the holidays. Until then I'm going to continue on with shorter projects. I will most likely start Full Throttle: Remastered this weekend.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hell yeah, Full Throttle is an absolute classic.

Looking forward to it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I know this is a month after the LP finished, but since I was up at my parents' place for Christmas I though I'd try to investigate the filming locations that I recognized. I went down to the Tacoma waterfront and took a look around the Foss Waterway, which is at the base of the main hill that most of 'downtown' Tacoma sits on. Surprisingly, a lot of the buildings from a quarter-century ago are still standing. In fact, one of the only ones that actually has been removed is, I'm pretty sure, the one where most of this was shot. Perhaps there was something that just had to be destroyed there.

Here's where I think the lot was:

The whole place was fenced off, but since it's leveled I was able to get a shot through the fence of the waterway, bridge, and some of the buildings behind. This is looking across, toward the city.

Compare that to this shot from the game, when you go down to the boat.

Not only has the warehouse been cleared, but it looks like the dock has been removed. This shot from the opposite end of the bridge shows the empty lot pretty clearly.

It appears that they actually shot the whole scene down there, not just the boat shots. Take a close look at the red building, and the one farther back to its right with the green door. Here they are, 25 years ago:

I didn't actually know for sure what was what when I was down there, so I took a few shots of the other buildings,and these were among them. Here are those same two now.

I wasn't totally sure that this empty lot was the right one until looking at this scene from the game, when you check out Wong's boat.

Take a look at the flat-roofed building in the right background, and the peaked-roof one behind it. Those are still there, as can be seen here.

Looking back at the game, these two lots may have been connected in the past, but it's not totally clear. Some of the other shots could have been taken at other locations, but the real-life spot seems to fit pretty well with the geography of the game.

Incidentally, the large towers visible in the background of that last photo were one of the things that clued me in to the shooting location. (You could also see them when talking with Wong). Here's the same large structure from closer up.

One thing I did find when I was down there, is that the train whistles are indeed about as loud there as you hear in the game. The trains run along the waterfront (on the opposite shore) and there is a big yard toward the end of the waterway. The channel doesn't go far; here's the end of the waterway as seen from the other side of the bridge. The train yard would be off on the left here, somewhat behind the bridge (it's a road bridge).

They could have shot the train scenes there, but I noticed in the credits that they mentioned a Northwest Railway Museum, a place I hadn't heard of. I found out that it's up in Snoqualmie (a mountain town), and I think that's more likely the spot. They aren't open this time of year, or I might have gone to check them out too. One of their buildings may also be where the cabin at the end was filmed. It's not the first time this locale stood in for Alaska; Northern Exposure was filmed in the nearby town of Roslyn.

Thanks for the LP, Rocket Baby Dolls.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 2, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is absolutely incredible! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and for putting so much effort into it. I hope that you were able to enjoy your time with your parents too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, what a great way to wrap up the thread. Thanks for sharing!