Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

To expand on my earlier post, I wanna clarify: I'm not disparaging Mori's efforts (reading my own post back to myself one day after writing it, it reads a bit clinically). Mori and Miura had been best friends since high school, and it's clear this continuation is an act of love from one artist mourning another, processing that into something for us, the readers. I've never been in a position where I had to do something like that, so I don't wanna sound cold or aloof.

It isn't Berserk, but I also don't need it to be. It's a gesture from a friend of the departed to his former audience, and that's nice. No one could continue Berserk, but I'm glad someone's closing the door in a respectful way.

This is me, too. Berserk ended when Miura passed, and the chapter it ends on is a potentially hopeful one, by all coincidence.

The continuation is an act of love from a friend to another. It's a very high quality fanfiction and won't be more than that and doesn't need to be more than it, it's the best it can be. I would have been satisfied if the continuation didn't happen, I will read the continuation out of a love for Miura's art and for what it means to me, even if it's not truly Berserk and won't ever be as good. Plus I might get to see that little bitch Griffith die at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When's the next chapter coming out?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, I've done it: I've finally finished Miura's run on Berserk.

Has there been any mention of when we might be seeing an official translation of the continuation? The site I was using used it up until that last chapter, but the one they swapped over to just had a really... distractingly different tone/style compared to what I'd been used to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For official stuff I'd guess they're waiting for enough new material before releasing another volume. So it could be a while since the releases are still slow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Volume 42 is out in Japan.

I think they're probably waiting for enough to make another Berserk Deluxe (3 volumes worth) if anything.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Its fun to hear about people reading Berserk for the first time. Even though long time fans probably "appreciate" it more, there's nothing that beats the initial experience. I heard about intrusive flashbacks to some of that imagery for several days after reading it, about how its nightmare fuel, and how deeply grotesque and disturbing it is. And my reaction is like "oh yeah... yeah i guess some of the stuff in it is a bit graphic." Cause after reading the series several times, watching the '97 anime, watching the movies, watching the Memorial edition recut of the movies, and discussing it in forums I'm so jaded to it all that when I see a page I think "haha oh yeah I remember that" and not "oh my god, its horrific".

But if I think back I can faintly remember those feelings from when I read up to volume 32 or so 15 years ago. I think my first read through of the scanlations actually affected my mood for a couple months.

By the way has anyone seen the cover for volume 42 of the manga? Uhhh.... what is going on with the colors there and Guts face?

Ccs fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 2, 2024

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Looks like it needs to be airbrushed on the side of a van, lol. I'm generally not a huge fan of the digital color illustrations- The strength of Berserk art is in the lines, not the gradient shading. When you leave out the line shading, it becomes too smooth and clean. Casca on 41 looks bad and weird.

My roommate and I had covid the other week, so we binged a bunch of stuff. I showed her Memorial Edition since A) It's the shortest, and B) I advocate the chronological viewing experience and selfishly imposed that on her. She's now referring to everything that even slightly betrays her expectations as a Griffith.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just looked up the two of those and I thought of Ken Penders Sonic The Hedgehog covers more than anything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I love the intent, and Elf Island should definitely have the fantastical colour palette that the volume 42 cover does.

I don't love the execution.

It would be fair to say that even a master artist like Miura did not master digital illustration and colouration before the end. It's essentially a completely different medium that just uses much of the same skill-set.
Playing a guitar is actually quite similar in a way, playing an acoustic one and an electric one is rather different even if the skills are completely transferable.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Berserk's digital color illustrations, even by Miura, are a bit odd. All of the color covers of the manga aren't super appealing to me, but I do like volume 27, 34, 37 and 40. All are subdued tones with I think is a safe bet both for an illustrator used to working in black and white, and for the tone of the series.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

e: actually never mind i am a big dumb dumb, sorry for the pointless necro

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just a reminder this releases tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1747363904185930187?s=19

If you ordered from Crunchyroll, it likely shipped already.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just got mine in the mail yesterday and it's a great release, Discotek always put out good stuff and they did a fantastic job with Berserk in particular

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Happy Eclipse day, everyone :unsmigghh:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

Happy Eclipse day, everyone :unsmigghh:

I'm going with my friend Griffith. He's had a tough time lately, but he's really excited to see the eclipse. He asked me to bring along as many of our other friends as possible, and looking at the group chat over 100 might show up!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ccs posted:

I'm going with my friend Griffith. He's had a tough time lately, but he's really excited to see the eclipse. He asked me to bring along as many of our other friends as possible, and looking at the group chat over 100 might show up!

Be there a little late, gotta stop by the river first for some water and stuff.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Me n' the boys are going camping, let's meet up after.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
https://twitter.com/NBCLA/status/1777215565842526484

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'll be there, I wanna show you this cool egg I found

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That monument even kinda looks like Void in profile?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I was able to go see the totality. I kind of blacked out during the actual eclipse. But it must have been fun, because I had a weird tattoo when I woke up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone received their diskotek releases yet? I haven't put an order in since I'd like to see some comparison shots first.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i hope discotek rereleases. it's been sold out since release day.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think someone is a little confused.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Just finished the '97 series. Hell of a final shot to end on postcredits notwithstanding.

Are the Golden Age movies or the broadcast version from '22 better?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

7c Nickel posted:

lmao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

I did this with my pawn. It was originally Guts, but I gave him an atrocious voice and personality and changed the pawn to a healer but a healer Guts felt wrong so I modified their appearance to Schierke. You can't rename Pawns outside of remaking them in NG+ so that's probably what happened here.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Arbite posted:

Just finished the '97 series. Hell of a final shot to end on postcredits notwithstanding.

They're fine, I don't think it's better than the 97 series. Just more ways to keep telling the Golden Age Story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the Memorial Edition is a bit better than the films if only because they got to touch up some of the dodgier looking CGI and re-dub the footage. The films already felt like compilation movies so splitting them up into episodes isn't the worst idea.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Given its the same material there are upsides to both, I dunno that one is clearly and obviously better than the other. I think the big sequences are better in the newer films, but the story gets a bit more breathing room and the relationships feel a bit stronger in the 97 show just cause of the time you get with them.

One day we will get other arcs done with care and not that bullshit crap they did in the mid '10s.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Arbite posted:

Broadcast version, the movie version leaves out some important scenes that people got mad about, so they added them back into the broadcast version. And the first film seems so short and weirdly paced.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bad Seafood posted:

It isn't Berserk, but I also don't need it to be. It's a gesture from a friend of the departed to his former audience, and that's nice. No one could continue Berserk, but I'm glad someone's closing the door in a respectful way.
imo berserk is a rebus, and all they're doing now is giving physical form to the other "half" of the journey that was already started

but the second story arc is already there, for u to read, without any additional context, in the complete works as presented

it's like entering the character name "zelda" into the original NES cartridge; the second quest was already there waiting for u, the whole time

they're just coloring in the blank spaces for u now, pulling back the curtain on purpose, illuminating the dots the reader was supposed to be connecting anyway

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

imo berserk is a rebus, and all they're doing now is giving physical form to the other "half" of the journey that was already started

but the second story arc is already there, for u to read, without any additional context, in the complete works as presented

I dunno, I haven't been able to predict most of the stuff that's been happening and I still have no idea how they're planning to resolve the central conflict between Griffith and Guts.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Clearly the answer is the trope where they shed their armor down to their britches 'n boots and just punch each other until both do a slow-mo haymaker that knocks each other out at the same time. Then friendship prevails and all is forgiven :pray:

Or maybe Griffith makes a Faustian bargain too far that Guts gets to exploit so he doesn't have to lose all of his humanity in a self-sacrificial moment. Then the puppies and rainbows.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To be honest, after reading everything Miura did for the series, my own impression was that the only way a final showdown between the two of them could ever end would essentially be Griffith letting Guts kill him after the realization finally hits him in full that everything he did to reach the throne is utterly worthless without the ability to enjoy it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The end point of this journey was never revenge but we're ending this out of what Griffith was to us, not what he is now. Even if what Griffith is now and what Griffith was then aren't especially different.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gut kills Griffith but now has to maintain the kingdom, no one is happy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm still waiting for Chekov's Becchi to go off.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

To be honest, after reading everything Miura did for the series, my own impression was that the only way a final showdown between the two of them could ever end would essentially be Griffith letting Guts kill him after the realization finally hits him in full that everything he did to reach the throne is utterly worthless without the ability to enjoy it.

Yeah that seems like it could be the most satisfying option given what happened. He's too far gone to be redeemed, but at least we get a sense that he realizes his actions were a mistake and that leads to some small amount of pseudo-redemption.

No idea how the behelit plays into it though. Maybe all the Godhand are summoned and then somehow pushed into the vortex of souls? Is the Idea of Evil still even canon? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Azubah posted:

Gut kills Griffith but now has to maintain the kingdom, no one is happy.

Guts faces his hardest opponent yet - Griffith’s tax reforms.