Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Elite posted:

Guts faces his hardest opponent yet - Griffith’s tax reforms.

Somehow this involves guts impaling so many more kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Elite posted:

Guts faces his hardest opponent yet - Griffith’s tax reforms.

So I guess Gatsu Batemen was actually a sequel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opk_kqU1wX8

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Next chapter is supposedly this week, so keep an eye out.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ccs posted:

Is the Idea of Evil still even canon? I dunno.

I believe it appears immediately before the lost chapter but doesn't say or do anything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still don't really see how their fight could even happen while falconia is serving as griffith's impenetrable shield. guts simply can't fight or sneak his way in. some other element has to come into play.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Griffith will never be satisfied with what he has. He could conquer the world and it would still not be enough.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Considering it’s kind of implied that the whole Falconia sequence is just a “day in the life” bit for Griffith, he’s probably bored out of his mind.

There’s no monster left that’s truly posed anything resembling a challenge to him, his ministers invariably see the wisdom in his policies and assent, the people love him for being a perfect fairy tale king and messianic figure rolled into one… Frankly, Rickart slapping him was probably the most refreshing thing that’s happened to him in ages.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no matter how bored griffith gets, i don't think he is going to reenact the ending of the movie gladiator.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Griffith is the type of guy who gets bored of winning ALL the time, but gets salty as hell the nanosecond he starts losing.

Losing one duel against Guts made him firebomb all his meticulous plans, rape a princess, get torture-imprisoned for a year then kill all his friends and turn into a demon. He did not take it well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Griffith would be a mentor in FFXIV, basically.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ccs posted:

and I still have no idea how they're planning to resolve the central conflict between Griffith and Guts.
they already showed this, page 1 chapter 1 the very first sequence in the manga

when guts finally catches griffith, he fucks her

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i still don't really see how their fight could even happen while falconia is serving as griffith's impenetrable shield. guts simply can't fight or sneak his way in. some other element has to come into play.
complete guess: some combination of the Kushan weakening falkovnia from within, and/or family connections coming up again, and/or both of those

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would have guessed that they destroy the Shiva corpse and separate the planes again, the most fitting end for Griffith would be for him to be exiled from the world and denied his perfect kingdom

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good chapter, nice to see some real progress. And the faces look a lot more on model this chapter! Characters expressions fit them, like the image of Griffith where he's looking menacing but not the weirdly evil smile he once sported in the post Miura chapters. I think the team is getting into the groove.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 27, 2024

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah, you can tell it's not him doing the art anymore, but it's finding its stride. Exciting to see the story still moving forward, too.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
While I'm glad to see the story moving along, I felt it moved a little too fast for a Berserk chapter. I feel it would've had a few establishing shots showing off the new environment, the local people doing local things and whatnot.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

While I'm glad to see the story moving along, I felt it moved a little too fast for a Berserk chapter. I feel it would've had a few establishing shots showing off the new environment, the local people doing local things and whatnot.

Honestly I was just happy they had so many big sweeping scenery shots at all. One of the things I used to recommend to people is how Miura never just fell to filler at least every other page there was some huge complex shot and it looks like the team is still trying for them even in casual conversation panels.

He left some loving huge shoes to fill and he literally died doing the comic the way he did, so I'm not going to begrudge something of a change in quality and style sometimes.

vvv: And that. Berserk has been running since 1989. There's a simultaneous pressure to not gently caress up one of the longest running and foundational manga and dark fantasy works in the modern era, but also I think the pressure to finish the story properly sometime soon and I'm ok with seeing it end in my lifetime ngl.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 28, 2024

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Mraagvpeine posted:

This is I think the biggest difference now. The story is going to move at turbo pace doing only the essentials to help it get to the finish line imo

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This is I think the biggest difference now. The story is going to move at turbo pace doing only the essentials to help it get to the finish line imo

I'm ok with this. I got into the series in 98. Since then I've become diabetic, graduated college, married had two kids, changed careers, and one of my most defining favorite things did not have any ending in sight, I'll take that over the fear of dying before seeing it end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is the only way to do it. Get it to the end without it being an absolute disaster if possible.
They're doing a good job so far, given the ask.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was a huuuuuugggggge drop in art. The prior chapters looked like someone trying their best to ape Miura; this chapter just looked bad. Even the paneling is way off.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Really? I thought this chapter was a step up, visually. Like there's one shot of Gut's face in the jail cell I felt was off, but all the others looked good. And everything else felt really solid to me.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Darko posted:

This was a huuuuuugggggge drop in art. The prior chapters looked like someone trying their best to ape Miura; this chapter just looked bad. Even the paneling is way off.

I don’t know what you’re looking at , but this felt the closest to Miura’s style out of any of them so far

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Am I right in waiting for the EvilGenius scan or did I miss something?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So about a week ago a team released a half hour episode for "season 2" of the 1997 series. Its a fan project where they did a fairly decent job of capturing the aesthetic of the 90s series, especially the colors and backgrounds. The character look a bit wonky, the animation is even more limited than the tv series, faces are... inconsistent, and proportions of things like hands are also off. The biggest issue for me is the dubbing though, if this was in Japanese I could probably watch the whole episode. And wonkiness in 2d is easier to accept than wonkiness in 3d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkTZrt7xgrU

But it does make a good case for that you don't need high production values to tell this story in a way the fans would eat up. Make another season with the budget of the 1997 series and keep the emphasis on character expression and grand vistas, and the movement can be carefully deployed. Instead of being aimless and clicky/floaty like the cg 2016 show.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Like this is obviously fan-project quality but they hit the mood and vibe of a 90s era anime well. I think my only complaint considering the context is the pacing is really slow?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Every time I see Puck now, I just think of that guy who read that bizarre scanlation with dicks drawn on all the elves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't even know what you're talking about but i will also think of that when i see the elves, now.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
it was someone in this thread a few months ago https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3904041&pagenumber=73&perpage=40#post534476989

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I think that's in reference to the moth apostle's elves, which are explicitly depicted with sexual organs along with the moth apostle herself as a way to emphasize that they are actually human, where the real elves don't have genitals at all.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'll forever be sad that there is no version of Berserk that has Cam Clarke as Puck after playing "Sword of the Berserk Guts' Rage"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Darko posted:

lol what the gently caress are you talking about

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scanlations getting so advanced they even come with their own art like anatomically correct Puck

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Chewbaccanator posted:

Am I right in waiting for the EvilGenius scan or did I miss something?

Last Chapter I saw was Dec 23, so nothing new new, but I feel like I missed it and maybe others did. If there is a new new chapter, I haven't seen it in the usual places.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's up on mangadex, torrent release will be a v2 in a few days.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

LordMune posted:

It's up on mangadex, torrent release will be a v2 in a few days.

Thank you for your work as always!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Last Chapter I saw was Dec 23, so nothing new new, but I feel like I missed it and maybe others did. If there is a new new chapter, I haven't seen it in the usual places.

I swear that one only appeared on readberserk a week or two ago. I only read Berserk for the first time this year and that chapter definitely wasn't there then. Did they date it wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

I swear that one only appeared on readberserk a week or two ago. I only read Berserk for the first time this year and that chapter definitely wasn't there then. Did they date it wrong?

I'm now going with this, cause I have def checked there since december and it wasn't there until I saw the chatter here. I would guess so?