Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Short answer, there are currently no known plans.

Long answer, hate to be that guy but you should really read the manga if you haven't. Both because animated Berserk is deader now than it's ever been, and also because the manga is an actual masterpiece (while the best adaptations top out at "very very good").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Translation is done (it was a doozy, let me tell you) and cleaning is probably done, but there's a lot of wobbly text to letter by hand.

EDIT: The magazine doesn't even hit store shelves in Japan until tomorrow, gosh!! Actually I guess it's past midnight there now, so

LordMune fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 23, 2020

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Alright, it's up on mangadex, torrent later today.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

In case the context isn't clear, the little comment at the very end is from Miura, cropped from this Young Animal's table of contents.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Didn't expect a felted wool behelit to be cool... But it is...

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The next chapter of Berserk will miss its original publishing date, and will instead drop on the 22nd of July.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Is the chapter appearing soon? Next week?

Yeah.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Translation is done, but American typesetters are asleep. Should be released later today.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

For those having trouble with page 6, try the ol' ctrl+F5. Torrent going up soon.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

A "deaser" site (a typo so easy to make in Japanese I'm surprised I haven't seen it before)

https://www.younganimal.com/berserk/special/

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I'm keeping my expectations in check and presuming a new anime season.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

oh yeah whoops berserk is out

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It's technically a biweekly! Which seems like intense hubris from the start, considering the sheer density of even Berserk's earliest artwork.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Berserk #363 — Leaping Monkey is here. Torrent first (magnet link only) this time, for good reason I assure you

EDIT: now on an online reader

LordMune fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 21, 2021

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I sincerely doubt this is where the story will go, but I have long toyed with the idea that Griffith is inadvertently undermining the Idea of Evil and its hold over humanity. The population is decimated, but in Falconia they hunker down behind high walls as Griffith's proto-fascism proves an enviable alternative to past monarchies. He keeps the apostles on a short leash. Not even his monster-extermination operations hold the terror of military campaigns of old, as he literally brings the souls of the departed back to their loved ones. Might the hope and promise of Falconia prove to be a sufficient barrier against the re-assertion of the despair that the Idea of Evil embodies? Probably not.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I never meant to imply Griffith would be doing this intentionally, but your post raises some interesting questions. His kingdom, the shining city on the hill, was always his goal. If in a final confrontation he were compelled to sacrifice again - in a parallel to the Count - and if - in a parallel to Void and Skull Knight - that sacrifice were to be the entirety of his capital city, would he do it? And what would the defeat of a member of the God Hand mean for the Idea of Evil, now no longer shielded by the membranes between planes? The formation of the Idea was undoubtedly a slow process, but with the astral plane now intruding on the material world and its primordial soup of human consciousness, could another, antithetical Idea form spontaneously? Perhaps one born of genuine belief in a (false) messiah?

Gonna get out of the deep end now

LordMune fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 16, 2021

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Let's not forget that the Eclipse was not a single event or decision. When Griffith sacrificed everything he was a broken man with no recourse; what he did to Casca and Guts came after his ascent to godhood. Each act informs our understanding of the other, but they come from very different places.

Edit: a page snipe worthy of the thread

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It never occurred to me to put them in the same category as Berserk and it's been a few years since I read them, but would absolutely recommend the Black Company books in general. They're fun.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

hell, I ordered a copy

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Berserk is without a doubt the single most important work of art in my life. I'm incredibly grateful to Miura for creating it, and saddened beyond words that he didn't get to outlive it.

I'm fine with it ending here, if it had to end prematurely.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

In a way this is a relief, because I've always felt I was doing his work a (to my credit, mild) disservice with my scanlations; I mostly kept going because the others who tried tended to do a catastrophically bad job of it. I've been mulling over whether to retire for the past five years if not more, and now the decision has been made for me.

gently caress me if this isn't hard to deal with though. Crying at my desk is not how I expected to spend my day

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

hatty posted:

Rickert can handle it

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The idea that the adaptations can substitute for the manga is ridiculous. They may be experienced in addition to the original, but read the manga first.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

multijoe posted:

Rickert's cool and sincerely owns for giving Griffith the business but there's precisely one human we've seen on the face of the planet who even has the means of harming the Godhand, like if they threw down for real what could Rickert ever do against Femto?

The fantasy nuke Skull Knight inadvertently set off resulted in a confluence of planes. The God Hand exist in the physical realm now, at least partially, and are theoretically vulnerable. Beyond that it's just a question of "can the underdog win?"

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Killing Rickert seems like a (possibly misguided) way to ingratiate yourself with Griffith, as step one of your murder plot. Whether that idea was planted in Rakshas' head by someone else or he was somehow aware of the Slap, I guess we'll never know.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Spoilering this since there are new people still making their way through the manga:

Right before Griffith's behelit activates, he starts to say something like "Go away! Stay away from me! If you touch me... I will never be able to... I won't be able to... You...". What is he trying to say? He never completes the sentence.

My read was always that he wouldn't be able to realize his dream. It reads like a warning but is actually a rejection of others in favor of the self. Guts and Casca successfully coming to his aid would render him physically or emotionally unable to go through with the sacrifice - maybe he doesn't feel the eclipse coming on per se, but he's haunted by visions of his life as an invalid and would choose utter destruction instead.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I don't see how #364 could be a better ending than #363, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Isn't Miura on record about how it took so long to get here partly because he was struggling with how to write Casca's return? The idea that he had a detailed outline taking us to the end and that his assistants can execute on it seems like wishful thinking.

Doesn't mean they won't try, but...

LordMune fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 16, 2021

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Berserk on Friday. And it's good, in a way I somehow didn't expect it to be.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The EG release should drop shortly (as in hour(s)) after the issue is legally obtainable in Japan.

What a way to end the story

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

they can, and they should :twisted:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Evil Genius release is also out; http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8381

Online reader upload coming in a few minutes it seems.

EDIT: online reader

LordMune fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 9, 2021

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

Pretty clear that this chapter was hacked together with the finished or mostly finished pages Miura left behind. Sucks we didn't actually get to see much of sane Casca's first real interactions with the child. :(

That's not how manga production works, at least not in Miura's case. The script he left behind would have been fairly complete, including text and panel layouts for each page. Likely there was only some "final art," the remainder being taken from sketch to ink by Studio Gaga.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Burkion posted:

The problem is that this isn't the ending

This would never have been the ending. Follow the narrative thought through.

It is perhaps a testament to Miura's writing that he could just up and die and still leave us with an unintentional ending which, while very open, doesn't feel inappropriate. We can follow the narrative thought through because we're now past some final thematic turning point; maybe we'll never know the details of how it would play out, but it's not a massive reach to say that this is where the conflict ended and what would have lain before us was just follow-through. Femto's entire deal is to rise above; to take what he wants and be untouchable. This chapter puts the lie to that and makes his fall is inevitable.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I don't think anyone would argue that an intentional and deliberate ending would not have been preferable. But the ending as it stands works shockingly well considering the circumstances. Miura could have died while they were all still on the boat or fighting undead pirates, imagine that.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Griffith's past not being a core part of the narrative — and indeed barely present — is an interesting observation and one I haven't really thought about much before. Early on Guts and Casca and so many others are very clearly defined by their histories, in which Griffith is often the hero: inspirational ambition and possibility incarnate, almost unmoored from the reality and circumstances that victimize so many. The omission must have been a very deliberate choice on Miura's part, doubtlessly in part to build and maintain Griffith's mystique but perhaps also to let us examine and judge his actions more clearly, unclouded by whatever sympathies or prejudices a more complete backstory would have instilled in us.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

I'm inclined to agree. The Eclipse arguably strips away the self-mythologizing and reveals Griffith for what he is: a domino brick. Causality gave him a nudge, and his fall topples the world.

(I also assume that it would be Griffith's vain attempts to assert some kind of independence or personhood post-ascension that would lead to the eventual downfall of the entire metaphysical order, but that's neither here nor there)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

You've reached the end of your journey. It is not always a happy thing.

I feel most of my work sucks rear end in retrospect, just as a general rule, but I am pretty pleased with some of the translations of latter-day Skull Knight lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Having a lot of complex emotions about this.

If they were ever going to do it, this would be the way to do it.

edit: snipe