Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Zaphod42 posted:

The best Berserk game is Dragon's Dogma

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
While Dark Souls is a better game, Dragon's Dogma still rules a lot and I think it has a more 'Berserk' feeling since you interact with towns, armies, royalty etc. and see the devastation of monsters in said places. Magic in DD is just ridiculous with the tornadoes and meteor showers and grappling/climbing monsters is really cool.

Dark Souls combat against big/non-humanoid monsters kinda suck and would improve a lot with some DD flavor. FROM is competent and after Sekiro I have high hopes for how they'll improve the gameplay in Elden Ring.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

OhFunny posted:

I believe the last time Guts saw Skull Knight was on the beach.

Guts says it in this chapter "A while back on that moonlit beach"

drat it's been a long time, guess it's time for a re-read!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
drat those two page spreads

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Killing demons/demon possessed people is not the same as what Griffith does, hth

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
“Oh look, lots of posts on the berserk thread”

... oh :smith:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
So they lived the rest of their lives in elf land :unsmith:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Zaphod42 posted:

Guts stays in elf-land with Casca.

Skull knight Rickert kills Griffith.

Everybody lives happily ever after :cry:

Just a little correction

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Started my first reread. There are so many small details, I didn't remember so many apostles making some small cameos here and there and even some stuff about the God Hand that I didn't catch first.

The eclipse is coming again :smith:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 26, 2021

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Griffith !!!!!!! :argh:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Farnese gets a lot better with time. Hell, even Isidro grew on me.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Ccs posted:

While I never got a firm confirmation from the author that Between Two Fires is inspired by Berserk, it has so many goddamn similarities. 14th century setting where demons are starting to appear, grizzled former knight shepherding a defenseless yet magical individual through a ruined landscape, a corrupt church whose new leader is probably the antichrist, a guy that transforms into a lion demon in a cloud of mist, a demon that latches onto people while they're sleeping and makes them almost kill their companions, a flashback to the protagonist's time as a soldier when he was betrayed and his love-interest taken away, descriptions of Hell that do the Eclipse justice. It's just... so Berserk. If there was ever a novelization that attempted to conclude Berserk, Buehlman would be my choice to write it.

While I'd say that Between Two Fires has that 'Berserk' feeling (and is an awesome book) I think this is the case where it's not one inspiring the other but both taking inspiration in similar stuff.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
https://twitter.com/berserksouls/status/1403094521274044420

Elden Ring keeps the tradition of being very Berserky