Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/berserk_project/status/1222448417172930567?s=19

:holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/berserk_anime/status/1256153684175511552?s=19

:thunk:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rickert killing Griffith somehow would be interesting

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hilario Baldness posted:

Those abominations should never have been made. Terribly written and horribly animated.

Just watch the cutscenes from the PS2 game and the musou that came out a few years ago

Hell the musou even has the fight with the Count (only with absolutely none of the build-up unfortunately, but hey, he's there)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I will only accept a new Berserk TV series if they reuse Susumu Hirasawa's soundtrack from the 97 anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZa0Yh6e7dw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The 16/17 series also borrowed a lot of themes from the Studio 4c films which I thought had pretty good soundtracks, even if they were a bit generic

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Golden Age Movies were deeply flawed but had some great parts. The assassination sequence in the first movie was fantastic, some of the minor changes to how the Doldrey siege were nice and it made a bit more sense how they were able to flank their way into the castle, some other stuff that evades me at the moment.

But there were also painfully stupid decisions made - keeping in minutes of ballroom dancing but removing the Bonfire of Dreams scene and moving part of Guts speech to the banquet was some bulllllllllllllllshit and changing the duel with Boscogn so that it isn't Zodd tossing his sword down to Guts after his broadsword breaks, but instead he throws up a flag (???) and awkwardly chops through it or around it jesus christ lmao

Just completely robbed that of an interesting moment with a mysterious antagonist and a dope reversal

Also no mention of Godo or Guts training the mountains, the gently caress is that poo poo, if you're coming only from the movies into the 2016 series I bet you were completely lost on who the gently caress the old guy with the girl was

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

At an absolute loss for words

loving poo poo what the gently caress

How sudden was it, because if was known he was having health problems, it really makes me think back - didn't he bring on assistants some years ago to help out???

Hope I don't have to recontextualize that :smith:

God drat it, wonder what happens now

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Man I understand not wanting someone else to draw it but gently caress some of that noise, I want to see a summary of how this poo poo was supposed to end lmao

I put too much time into this poo poo you wonderful dead bastard, just give me the bullet points

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Larryb posted:

What’s wrong with the 2016 version exactly?

and on and on and on

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

they also routinely swing the camera around awkwardly and I hope the people running that poo poo feel even more shame right now about loving it all up and are never allowed near any project again

IIRC, the studio battled alllllll the way to the last loving minute on what sort of visual style to go for - primarily CG, animated, both, the level of detail, etc. - so the entire thing had to be rushed

I mean the original teaser they put out actually looked pretty good and appeared to be aping the Studio 4C approach to the movies with 2D faces on 3D models which worked well once they got the hang of it, but then when the actual scene rolled around, yikes

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

the 90s anime is incredibly well-done and a good example of doing a lot on a limited budget imo, but just be aware there are some things cut for the sake of the show's focus (e.g. the Skullknight who is massively important, characters like Silat)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The other story is drawn by his assistants in his style, if he had an outline of what he wanted to happen in the story, I'm fine with someone taking over like with Wheel of Time

Same, to be honest, I would love to see this make it to completion with his intended ending, but I know that's not my choice

Still so drat tragic :smith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pindakaas posted:

I vote let the assistants continue it but let/'s work towards a finish this time.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I've never loving agreed that the story reached a point where it felt anything close to conclusive, gently caress that poo poo, this is just ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

just keep going I don't give a poo poo at this point, bring it to some sort of logical end

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

still want them to continue with it, tbh

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There are some good posts here about how this ending, while unintentional, isn't entirely inappropriate, but I definitely have to disagree super hard on the idea of this being a "perfect" or even "good" ending on the chance that GAGA doesn't press on

If it doesn't continue then so be it, but I just can't look at so many loose ends with one hell of an unexplained last twist and think "yeah this is a great way to end it, it's perfect"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's the evil genius release, which is not only done (in part) by LordMune who posted here like 10 posts ago, they're the best fan group this series has, and I'd rank it above the official releases generally. It avoids awkward phrasing like KNIGHT OF SKELETON

Is there a decent place to read about the Dark Horse translation and some of the inconsistencies or phrasing they might have, because the only place I can think of that might have them is the Skull Knight forums and it might be full of some of the most insufferable Berserk fans in existence

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tbh I still hope they ultimately keep it going

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Pretty hosed up to say I hope they stop the mass murder and rape

E: this doesn’t work as well on a different page from the last two posts

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah, with all the merchandising deals and sales of the manga globally, in general, I can't imagine they would completely leave it alone and I would still like for it to get to some conclusion because those final panels had an enormous mix of :staredog: and :wtc: and ending on that is just the ultimate tease of.....wherever the gently caress Miura was heading

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Well I'm loving excited to see an ending and even if it's not straight from the man himself, this will probably be as close as it can get, so gently caress it, go for it and good luck

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

trucutru posted:

To me it's just fanfiction. If it does great then gently caress yeah! great fanfiction is always nice. If it sucks then whatever, it was just fanfiction.

lol this isn't even close to being fanfiction though

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Random but I remember reading that the fantastic-looking bluray release of the 97 series still hasnt come out in North America (but got a UK release?) and Media Blasters let the license lapse a decade ago? :psyduck: what the gently caress you idiots, get on that and release that poo poo

I have the rips as :filez: but I'd love to get an official release

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat that rules

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What the gently caress I went into that thinking nothing was gonna happen but a bunch of cool poo poo happens and then mother loving ZODD shows up, I wouldn't classify that as nothing :psyduck:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

My feeling was the art looks very off model, nothing has the sense of the solid construction I expect from Berserk. It's like they took a lot of surface cue details from Miura's art without understanding the underlying forms. This could be a result of these guys usually not drawing the base forms of the character over the years and instead doing the detailing on layouts Miura had already final'd.

It's something, though. I'll have to consider it in the eventual aggregate once there's more to work through.

But its annoying, when the 1997 animators or the film animators could draw Guts and Zodd on model that the new artists for the manga cant.

The art is fine

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh man, the look on Guts's face :smith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

They're adding in deleted scenes and apparently even called back in the voice actors to record new material so there might be even more inserted on top of that (or at the very least revised). They've made a big deal about finally putting in the Bonfire of Dreams sequence

Also new music from Susumu Hirasawa, that's cool

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'd imagine they will, I felt like Funimation contracted out the dub job of Berserk 2016 to Bang Zoom instead of NYAV Post because of the overall (low) quality, so fingers crossed that they bring back the OG dub team

Also hoping they revise the Boscogn vs. Guts fight to include the sword toss from Zodd, because the change they made was completely pointless and wack as gently caress

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I've never watched any of these dubbed. The Japanese cast is amazing.

I really really wish they didn't recast the Japanese voices for the movies and 2016 because I loving love the original voice for guts and I had gotten so used to it from 97, the Dreamcast game (imported version hell yeah) and the PS2 game which did a bunch of scenes better than the most recent series which is embarrassing as hell lol

The dub for Berserk 97 isn't perfect but came out at a time when most dubs were firmly jokes IMO, and it improved as the series went along.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol yeah I love it and all, but there's still the occasional hammy delivery or situation like Sean Schemmel who sounds like he's playing every other background soldier so they all sound the same

Given the time period it's still impressive they found a good range of actors, as Void sounds great (really all of the Godhand are cast well), Adon Coborlwitz, Foss, a bunch of other supporting characters are cast well at a time when they could just get any person to just disguise their voice and try to sound old/young and it comes off unintentionally funny or just bad

That being said, Godo doesn't sound nearly old enough imo and it always bothered me somewhat

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

christmas boots posted:

And yet Sean Schemmel was also Godhand member Conrad so you’ve already admitted he was well cast no takebacks

*breathing anxiously* ff...fuckin....

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That last page :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Didn't realize that Crunchyroll will be doing a simulcast for Berserk Memorial Edition and they're even gonna have a dub? I can't imagine them not going with the old cast, but if they're going with other actors :whitewater:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I know this is beating a dead horse and I've repeated it many times but Kaiji Tang loving sucks rear end and he sucked as Guts, just sounds like some goony dude trying wayyyy to hard to sound badass

He was equally as terrible as Kenshiro in that FOTNS musou

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah, and while that dub wasn't necessarily the worst, it wasn't particularly good either, and had some strange quirks in the script

I think some might remember the awkward "That news is old" line when they first started promoting it, as an example

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Or they could go with the Japanese voice actors and not have this problem? :blush:

They replaced them too drat it, I miss how the old Guts sounded

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I like how they did that kinda stylized take on the assassination scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

The movie cast are trying their hardest but Canna Nobutoshi has got such a knack for bloodthirsty roughnecks with hearts of gold I still hear him as Guts in my head,

I never remember that dude's name, but anytime I'm playing or watching something with the Japanese audio and I hear him, it's just instantly "oh poo poo, that's guts"

That yell is so distinct