Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I bought volume 40 recently and drat dude can draw. I forgot how good it was. The apostle designs are so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This means something though not sure what! Some cameos maybe?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1229041433270771712

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah the movies use the camera well. The director of the 2016 series had no idea how to use a cg camera, I can only remember one good shot where it was used properly.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Did it list a date for the next issue or another hiatus?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So no date for the continuation?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I did one of those "Redraw Sailor Moon" challenges in the Miura style.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hilario Baldness posted:

Started reading Berserk yesterday. After 150 chapters, I can honestly say this is far better than Game of Thrones.

And the 2016/2017 anime adaption is just as disappointing as season 8 of Game of Thrones!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

i watched a video where a guy tallies up the releases. Miura originally started that other manga as a way of training assistants, but then he got kind of obsessed with it and started finishing all their pages for them to unify their art style, and Berserk dropped off to 2 or 3 chapters a year. Meanwhile that other comic, which we won't discuss because it caused so much consternation in the previous thread, is getting 3 longer chapters. At this rate we'll be getting a new volume's worth every 3 years, and Berserk will probably take 30 years to finish.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You might have watched the version that had blu-ray fixes. I heard there was some. Personally I only remember one episode from the second cour that looked decent, like it could have come from Polygon or some other half decent cg anime studio.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I would be fine with a retread of the golden age if they committed to adapting the stuff after it. A full run through from black swordsman to present material.

It seems as if there’s less and less adaptions of manga these days. Light novel adaptions are everywhere and old series like Shaman King are getting full reboots, but It seems as if manga takes a smaller share of the pile every season.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The best would be if on October 9th Miura lets his assistants stop working on Duranki and illustrate more of the actual comic, with the announcement that because of this efficiency it will now be monthly.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’d like more studio 4c films actually. They really got the look right by the third, so it would be cool to see how they’d make other parts of the story look.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He only did 2 songs, Hai Yo and Ash Crow. The rest was by the composer from the movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I dunno i find them hilariously overdone. Maybe it works better for Japanese viewers who can’t understand the lyrics.

Hirasawa is nice cause most of his songs don’t have lyrics, the ones that do are in Japanese or in a nonsense language of his invention.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hahaha. This is extra meaningless for international fans too cause even if you were a mega-fan who'd fly to Japan to see the exhibition, you can't during a pandemic.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So the Zodd statue is being crowdfunded. If you live in Japan and have a Japanese credit card you can donate and rewards include original artwork from the manga.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Man those previous Godhand designs are sick.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't get the sense Skullknight killed the previous members. He seemed similar to Guts, hunting down Apostles with his sword and magic armor, and only forged the behelit sword recently, and even that was able to take down a Godhand.

It could just be that since there has to be a new one every 216 years, at some point before, one of the previous becomes part of the vortex of souls.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think my favourite volumes are like 24 to 32. Makes me really sad the newer anime butchered part of it

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh, finally some story progress! Since moonlight child is Griffith, maybe we'll finally have some kind of showdown or something. Interested to see if Caska meets the child this time now that she's in her right mind.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If anyone is chafing between chapters, I highly recommend the book "Between Two Fires" by Christopher Buehlman. It's possibly the most Berserk-esque book I've ever read, to the point that I was sure some sections were direct homages. It's historical fantasy, and the author has done a poo poo ton of research into medieval France, so it doesn't seem derivative at all. I read a ton of fantasy and this is one of the best in a long time.

It's also self contained so you get the whole story, conflict, backstory, arcs, everything, in one volume. Some great economy of storytelling.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

At times I've thought Griffith might get some redemption that still involves him dying. But it's hard to say. He's basically the epitome of arrogance and ambition. Perhaps the world he created in Falconia is better than how Midland was, but hasn't he killed a huge portion of humanity by creating it and leaving the rest to fight off the supernatural? He's a monster, plain and simple, so the only thing that can really redeem him at this point is that his body is some sort of amalgamation of his consciousness and Guts and Caska's child.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

To use an overused word, Griffith was a bit gaslit into actually sacrificing the Band of the Hawk. He's suicidal, can't tell Guts and co to stay away because his tongue is cut out, is then given the best powerpoint presentation ever by a supernatural entity who tells him that sacrificing is the logical thing to do and a natural part of his character, and that to not do so would be to betray all the others who have died for him. But in the end he still makes the choice, so he's got to deal with the consequences of that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

What he does after sacrificing them and emerging as Femto is what really makes him completely unsympathetic. Up until that point you can try to rationalize his decision as the addled desperation of a nearly dead man. But when he emerges with an even better body and then decides to rub salt in the wounds in front of the survivors, then he becomes reprehensible.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Like, it's pretty inarguable that the god hand manipulated Griffith into doing what he did? That doesn't excuse his actions or make him in any way a moral equivalent to Guts, but it's still pretty important I think!

Yep. If the Eclipse had ended after Griffith sacrificed everyone and then Skull Knight busted in and just saved Guts and Caska before Griffith violates her I think people would be a lot angrier at the Godhand than at Griffith. But it’s what he does after he gets his Batman costume that really makes the audience go “Oh gently caress this guy, he’s gotta die.”

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

This was probably lost in the discussion, but I picked up the book and it is very good so far.

Hooray! Glad you’re enjoying it. I finished it and really enjoyed it and read another of his books which was also good, called The Necromancers House. He has his first secondary world fantasy book coming out in May which I’m really looking forward to, called The Blacktongue Thief.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The names probably did get a bit distorted in the translation but I own some Japanese volumes of Berserk and it renders the names at the beginning in English, so canonically those are their names, not just the result of Dark Horse or scanlators screwing up their reading of the katakana.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Boco_T posted:

I found this on Amazon, I wonder if it's any good:
https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Quentin-Alt-236-Boeton/dp/2377842763/
There's a detailed review that makes it seem like it might be.

Absolutely insane this isn't an ebook.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Paperback Writer posted:

A few months ago I was looking for medieval anime and found out about Berserk. I first watched a fan cut edit of the movies on YouTube with 1996 stuff added in. I read everyone saying the 2016 series wasn’t worth watching so I didn’t. Until a few weeks ago, and frankly I loved it. The story and good voice acting was still there even with questionable CGI. I needed more, so started the ‘96 series from the beginning. And finally now, I’m reading the manga! It’s my first manga actually.

Welcome to manga! You’ve started with one of the best so it’s all gonna be downhill from here. Kidding, there’s a bunch of good stuff, just not so much dark fantasy. If you like Berserk you may enjoy Vinland Saga afterward. It also has a really good anime adaption.

If you usually read fantasy novels set in the medieval era I recommend Between Two Fires. That scratched the Berserk itch I had after no new chapters were released for months.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah only the third movie holds up for me. They’d figured out the cg integration by then and it’s also the longest movie so everything isn’t a rushed mess. Movie 1 and 2 are too short for the material. Aside from the changes mentioned by the previous poster, the flashbacks are done in this super choppy and disorienting style that’s also incomprehensible if you don’t already know what they’re depicting.

The traditional animation in the movies are absolutely excellent. I wish it was all traditional animation but then it would’ve taken 7 years per film to make or something crazy.

All that said the 1997 series is still the most consistent adaption. They made smart choices to conserve the budget and no cg means it will continue to hold up indefinitely.

Like look at how classy this trailer is. No animation at all aside from the blood and it already conveys as much as any sakugafest would about the series tone: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TuqwOOgyoo&feature=youtu.be

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 1, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Spermando posted:

I watched a lot of this stuff out of order. Has the part where Zodd loses his horn ever been animated?

The 2017 season. That pitiful thing... that I watched all of. If you can choose to call it animated.

Ironically there’s one really well animated segment in the 2017 season, at the very very end. With credits playing over and obscuring half of it . Absolutely cursed production.

Southpaugh posted:

Berserk Jojo and vinland Saga are genuinely top tier.

And let’s not forget off-brand Berserk: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/BlasterKnuckle

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh yeah I guess it happens in the first season of that show. I remember it, I think. Who knows, maybe I dreamed it, my dreams would probably have better animation than Berserk 2016/2017.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Viridiant posted:

On the other hand, Schierke is one of the biggest badasses in the series.

But he does have moments where she or that mermaid girl are naked for no real reason.

I dunno, if we consider Miura's other manga not to be spoken of in this thread, it looks bad. But, uh, whaddaya gonna do? The series has some problematic elements. i still enjoy the other elements.

Just gotta pray it isn't a Nobuhiro Watsuki situation.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well, I guess something needs to keep it in the public eye since the update schedule isn't.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

Whoever suggested Between Two Fires, thank you. About a third of the way in and the book delivers on Berserk vibes.

Heyyy awesome. That author has his first secondary-world fantasy novel coming out this month, called "The Blacktongue Thief". It's getting rave reviews, I'm super psyched for it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

loving hell.

This will take a long time to process. Berserk’s influence on me is hard to really articulate.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I 1000% don’t want anyone else taking over the story, even if there is a rough outline. At least Guts reached a place of relative peace. I hope Miura is also at peace.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If it was successful though they wouldn't stop and we'd get an anime only ending of Berserk. While I'm sure a writers room could come up with something, I'd never be able to think of it as anything more than fan fiction.

But I think all the rape would put it out of Amazon's clutches. Americans are fine with sitting down to watch horrific violence with their family, but sexual stuff causes discomfort.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Plutonis posted:

The manga industry is horrid.

loving hell. This remind me of a twitter argument I got in with an anime animator who moved from NYC to Tokyo. He felt it was necessary for animators to work until at least 10 pm every night to hone their craft, and working 7 days a week was just part of the "journeyman artist" lifestyle. Meanwhile I work in animation in the west and clock out after 8 hours every day. There's something up with the comics and animation industry over there that just crushes people and then makes it so even if there was a way of being more efficient, they won't take it because the craft has taken over, the detail has to increase.

If Berserk had settled into its Volume 8-9 detail level throughout its entire run it would look amazing and Miura could have taken more breaks. But that's the issue with being a genius artist. There's not really a point if you're not constantly seeking to outdo yourself. And with the style he was going for, that means the most insane level of detail possible.

Of course a lot of our outpouring of grief has to do with the beauty of the art he gave us. But it's hard to square that with the toll on health such an effort takes. A lot of these guys unwittingly become martyrs for their craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Is what happened to Miura the sort of thing that would be greatly affected by more sleep? Outside of general stress on the body, that's the sort of defect that just gets worse over time regardless, right?

Yeah stress and lack of sleep is a factor:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22127533/