Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, if you're a berserk fan and you don't haven't been grabbing the omnibus releases, you owe it to yourself to go out and get them. i've just been going through the third release and the art pops so much more on the larger page it's ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i didn't realize that it had been 8 months since the last chapter

i think i could ride out the gaps better when it was griffith stuff and i wasn't super invested, but now that we're back to characters i actually care a lot about these breaks are killer

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
re-reading the series through the omnibuses has really been scratching my itch for more berserk, but i'm afraid to think about how much the story will manage to advance before the omnibus releases catch up

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i forget, is the last time guts saw skull knight back when griffith totally owned skull knight into accidently immanentizing the eschaton?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i never watched the berserk anime, but i definitely have a bunch of susumu hirasawa tracks in my playlists. great music

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

temple posted:

If Guts had stayed it would have been happily ever after.

griffith immediately self destructed in a fit of pique at guts not subsuming himself to griffith's dream, and has spent the subsequent years propagating amoral murder rape demons in order to herd humanity into a childish dream kingdom where every element of society spotlights directly onto him

something tells me that there might have been underlying character flaws which would have precluded a happy ending in the event guts stayed. almost like... it was a fated outcome

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

temple posted:

Guts knew what would happen if he accept the ride from the old man and his daughter the night they were killed. He even warned them. His intent was pretty selfish and literally the whole blackswordsman arc is about Guts being the hugest rear end in a top hat humanly possible.

man, i know i made a very sarcastic post earlier, but i don't want to turn this into a pile-on. it's just that this framing of guts is bananas to me

so the whole point of that scene is to show guts putting up this rear end in a top hat gruff facade to try to keep other people at arms length, but actually wanting to just sit and indulge in a happy family atmosphere. in retrospect we know he puts on this act for a lot of reasons. he fears that other peoples emotions might put a damper on his burning need for revenge. he fears connecting with others lest they betray him, either by directly abusing his trust or by dying and leaving him alone. he fears watching innocent people being torn apart in front of him again and being helpless to save them. but his need for human connection undermines his resolve and he gives in to their advances, much in the same way he let's puck get close to hit, despite outwardly saying he despises him. his intent is "selfish" in the same way that shinji ikari's desperate cry of "love me" is selfish

and that's why when he's staring at the undead corpse of the daughter carrying the head of her father, he's paralyzed in regret and horror up until she stabs him the loving stomach. as oppose to easily dispatching her as a meaningless passerby that he used to get a selfish free ride

sure guts is an not a very nice person in the blackswordsman arc, but the whole undertone to that arc is that he is not some heartless murdering revengeful badass. it's that he's a deeply broken man who obviously has some insane trauma in his past

temple posted:

Regardless, the minute guts returned, griffith was rescued. There's clearly a message there. If guts stayed, griffith wouldn't been tortured for 3 years.

if griffith hadn't thrown a tantrum and hosed a naive girl to re-establish his feeling of power and control, he wouldn't have been tortured for 3 years

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 12, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i think it's useful to look at this through the lens of a greek tragedy

was oedipus doomed to his tragic end by the prophecy made before his birth? was it fate, out of his control? sure, but only so far as his ultimate downfall is brought about by the hubris he displays after his rise to kingship, which due to a character was a choice he was always going to make, it was inherent to him.

now there is a coherent framework to deny freewill here, but it would extend equally to everyone. i know the text might occasionally imply otherwise, but putting the text aside, if guts makes a different choice it's only because the experiences he has had has given him a different character, there's no real metaphysical difference

edit: god drat it, beaten to the oedipus reference by a single post

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The big rear end Deluxe volumes are around 50% in now, by my reckoning.

gently caress, these volumes have been sustaining me for a while now, it feels almost like the series is producing content on a regular basis

i think i'm going to have some serious withdrawals when they catch up and suddenly it's back to three chapters a year

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it feels so strange to be here at a point everyone joked about, and now its real and horrible

every time i would catch up with this series i would start the process of a slow re-read of the series over months and years, until i caught back up to the newest material. the number of times i've read this story and had it still impact me in the 15 years since i first read it is a bit staggering to think about

i can think of very few works that i've enjoyed to a similar extent

miura and his art will be missed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not sure how i feel about this, but i guess i wish them luck. it seems like a massive challenge to take on