Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I disagree; I think it's actually pretty clear at this point what the manga's overall theme is, and the current direction fits that perfectly. Berserk is a manga about trauma, and also about the healing process; about how total self-reliance is unhealthy, and you need support to properly grow past the horrible poo poo that's happened to you if you want to actually succeed and not just keep spiraling downwards.

It'll be a little cheesy if it goes full-on shonen ~power of friendship~ but I wouldn't be surprised if Guts' improved mental state and new reasons to live end up being crucial to him beating Griffith's rear end.

(And there's no way it's not ending with Guts and Griffith throwing down, and Guts winning. Anything else would feel like a cop-out after 30 goddamn years of this, and Miura's more or less said he realizes this.)

The healing process, or the process of dealing with trauma is indeed such a major part of Berserk and the reason I enjoy this manga so much. After the eclipse, the scene with Guts running in the night, covered in bandages, screaming over everything that happened to moments later picking up a sword and fighting for his life is quintessentially Gut's existence. We see him flee from those who are important to him to a quest of vengeance and hatred, but by the time he comes to realise what is important to him, the nature of why he fights shifts and we get to watch him grow. He forms new relationships, becomes grateful for those around him and his little rag tag group form a connection which seems so different to his time in the Band of the Falcon.

Makes it all the more painful when we see his face after Casca's memories are restored :smith:

Even with all the terrible things he's done, it's not without context and exploring the nature of Guts emotional state, for a character that is very walled off with people he meets in his world, Miura's writing style lets us in quite a bit through his actions and inner monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

I'm so happy for this magical girls manga's return!

I loved Farnes' enthusiastic clapping for Shierke.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

What a magnificent chapter, the art for the eclipse was something special, such a different feel from Griffith's with the gnarled looking hole in the sky. It also looked massive.

It looks like we see carnage on behalf of skull knight as he tears his way to the godhand, the apostles being cut apart and blood drops were so well drawn. With Void standing there so triumphantly as the 5th apostle, (who looks so out of place with the others with his cenobyte attire) looking down at the king, this is such powerful imagery and I'm dying to know more! The lady he was holding looked kinda like the fairy queen, or even Slan to a degree.

Miura losing a friend really sucks too.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

I'm beginning to wonder if Griffith is an orchestration of Void to create an entity to merge the the astral plane with the physical, to remove his opposition (Gaiseric) who is mucking up the works of some bonkers plan for eternal existance or something. I liked how the old god hands were varied in their designs (beardy boy lookin Zeus like) but the current crop have similarities in their attire, is Void effectively arranging the godhand to his mad plan?

I need that next chapter so badly!

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Miura giving his staff stability and the opportunity to build their own lives is the best ending for Berserk.

I'm so sad he's gone.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

https://youtu.be/3RA6SPNP8ps

One of the more interesting looks into the psychology of Berserk and how Guts has grown. Been thinking about Guts' growth and where he could have gone next.

Sydin posted:

I was torn between the predictable happening of Griffith attacking Elfheim and forcing Guts and co to flee, or Guts rationalizing his revenge by deciding Casca is finally safe and his presence only makes her suffer, so he sneaks off with SK and kicks off a journey by everybody he left behind to reunite with him.

Even before Miura's death (and now even more) this little bit in particular really struck a chord:

Guts had accomplished everything he set out to do, but it didn't bring him peace. It seemed like he was ready to fall right back into revenge, but then we got SK's backstory driving home "all that mindless revenge will destroy is yourself" to him. We'll probably never know so maybe I'm way off base, but it really does feel like this was building to a pretty critical choice for Guts, and either way he chose the consequences would kick off the endgame.

The thing I loved most about that part of the story is Guts standing at the edge of a cliff. Makes me think about where our boy has come from.

Before when he fell into his rage and headed off, leaving Casca behind he was serving himself. When he came to the realisation that he shouldn't run from his problems that was one of the pivotal moments of his development, that in being there for Casca he was doing what he wanted, not what someone else told him to do.

He admitted it was hard caring for both himself and her and was exhausted. Along that path however he managed to get Isidrio to tag along, saved Farnese despite her desire to imprison him, had her tag along, fought and had the opportunity to kill Serpico but stopped, helped Schierke, become her care taker...all of these things are from him changing his ways.

At that cliff he simply doesn't know what to do, he didn't run really (or couldn't), he never forced himself to see Casca too quickly, he has marured so much and fostered these solid relationships whom he's learned to trust.

From where he's been to where he is now, he's getting so clost to accepting the darkness within him which feels like the next part of his journey, to overcome letting that beast inside consume him.

He no longer has nothing to lose, he's gained so much by confronting himself from that decision he made in that dwarf cave.

I'm so happy we got to see Miura's vision of Guts up to this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

Guts face made me feel sad.

This chapter made me think of the dream where Guts is dead and buried, Griffith is still paraplegic yet looking healthy with Casca tending to him.