Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah I’d love to hear a 40k episode. I never played it but the premise always seemed cool and I love sweet painted miniatures. Id also like to hear about all the baby fascists who get inspired by the bad guys, whatever they’re called. There was a great thread about fascists in traditional gaming but I think it may have closed. I’ll edit in a link if I can find it. E: here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887733&perpage=40

Also Warhammer was the inspiration for one of my favorite bands, the consistently anti fascist metal thread darlings Bolt Thrower:

They even teamed up with games workshop for their early artwork

Snowy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Is there a list of sources for It Could Happen Here?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Snowy posted:

Yeah I’d love to hear a 40k episode. I never played it but the premise always seemed cool and I love sweet painted miniatures. Id also like to hear about all the baby fascists who get inspired by the bad guys, whatever they’re called. There was a great thread about fascists in traditional gaming but I think it may have closed. I’ll edit in a link if I can find it. E: here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887733&perpage=40

Also Warhammer was the inspiration for one of my favorite bands, the consistently anti fascist metal thread darlings Bolt Thrower:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3494493&perpage=40&pagenumber=611#pti23

warhammer book thread is good too.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I’ve really enjoyed your podcast Robert- Behind the Bastards was one of the original ones that got me into podcasts in general. Is there a chance there will be more seasons of It Could Happen Here on other topics?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Record the Kissinger episodes then bank them and release them all on the day he dies imo.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Cockblocktopus posted:

Record the Kissinger episodes then bank them and release them all on the day he dies imo.

Kissinger is a lich, we'd first need to destroy his phylactery.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of the big problems is there are just so many Bastards.

Like I could pitch Maurice Duplessis, PM of Quebec for a long time and he was so bad his reign is now officially known in history books as "The Great Darkness". But when you compare him to dictators and such he kind of pales in comparison.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kagon posted:

I’ve really enjoyed your podcast Robert- Behind the Bastards was one of the original ones that got me into podcasts in general. Is there a chance there will be more seasons of It Could Happen Here on other topics?

Or just more in-depth talks on specific things like campaigns of destruction on food supplies, general warlording, and other things you saw out in the world, and how you think they could happen in the US?

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

For those of you who want me to do a Warhammer podcast, here is a 4 hour video of me explaining the background of Warhammer 40k to my disbelieving friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRomQkC-D_8

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GunFondler42069 posted:

For those of you who want me to do a Warhammer podcast, here is a 4 hour video of me explaining the background of Warhammer 40k to my disbelieving friends.

I am less than fifteen minutes in and I love it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

:allears:

Necrons are the good guys because they want to save everyone from having to live in the 40K universe.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Snowy posted:

I too like WH40K, but I'm absolutely shocked that a metal band based on it are anti-fascists.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Neo_Crimson posted:

I too like WH40K, but I'm absolutely shocked that a metal band based on it are anti-fascists.

they even like fighting nazi skinheads

http://vics-dungeon.blogspot.com/2016/01/bolt-thrower-vs-neonazi-scum-as.html

e- they came out of the English punk scene which probably accounts for their politics

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I would subscribe to Talkin' Hamz in a heartbeat, I'm just saying

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

GunFondler42069 posted:

I'm sorry.

This is amazing and I now want an entire Behind The Bastards W40K episode miniseries (or SPINOFF!?).

To get real, I love the show, and its one of those things I look forward to on my awful commute to work. You're on par with This American Life, in my books!*

*In that I eagerly look forward to a new episode!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

I am now at the one hour mark and it's still great.

You ever check out System Mastery? It's a fun podcast about TTRPGs. The guys who do it also do a podcats on Star Wars' insane expanded universe.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
System Mastery is excellent. I'm very into tabletop but it's the only tabletop podcast I regularly listen to. Hell of a Way to Die also did a 40k episode once, if that appeals to you.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

GunFondler42069 posted:

This is loving amazing. Especially your friends getting more and more bemusedly incredulous about the whole setting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Halloween Jack posted:

System Mastery is excellent. I'm very into tabletop but it's the only tabletop podcast I regularly listen to. Hell of a Way to Die also did a 40k episode once, if that appeals to you.

i believe they also do a star wars one talking about bad old EU books.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fun fact: Ultramar is a chain of Gas Stations in Canada.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I recently started listening to Beyond the Bastards and I'm going through it in chronological order (the Weinstein episode was a rough listen) and Robert always says that there are pictures/videos at beyondthebastords.com. Since partnering with iheart that website doesn't seem to exist anymore. Is there somewhere else you can find this stuff or has it been lost to the winds of time?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Droyer posted:

beyondthebastords.com.

Had to check just in case :v:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I am very smart and most definitely literate, yes sir.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Droyer posted:

I recently started listening to Beyond the Bastards and I'm going through it in chronological order (the Weinstein episode was a rough listen) and Robert always says that there are pictures/videos at beyondthebastords.com. Since partnering with iheart that website doesn't seem to exist anymore. Is there somewhere else you can find this stuff or has it been lost to the winds of time?

This is something a number of people complain about and I have no idea what the issue is. Every time I visit behindthebastards.com i immediately find the bibliography

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

This is something a number of people complain about and I have no idea what the issue is. Every time I visit behindthebastards.com i immediately find the bibliography

behindthebastards.com redirects to https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/ for me, and I can't find any bibliography there.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

behindthebastards.com redirects to https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/ for me, and I can't find any bibliography there.

Click on an episode. It will expand into the episode in a player with the bibliography underneath.

Edit: some part 2s might have stuff listed under part 1. I think black panthers part 2 is like that.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Click on an episode. It will expand into the episode in a player with the bibliography underneath.

Edit: some part 2s might have stuff listed under part 1. I think black panthers part 2 is like that.

Oh i see what's happened now. The older episodes' stuff is completely gone but anything newer (presumably uploaded after the move to iheart) has a bibliography.

Example:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The sources are on the footnotes page, but the pictures don't seem to be.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
so since it was brought up on the latest episode, how quickly did the you get a takedown for the Under the Hood review episode

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

so since it was brought up on the latest episode, how quickly did the you get a takedown for the Under the Hood review episode

I am unable to say what happened but that is not what happened. I know how fair use works.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

GunFondler42069 posted:

Dave and I are talking about it, so far it's been difficult to make our schedules work. My dream is to do the gigantic Kissinger series with him, but asking someone to sit for like 4 episodes is quite a request and there's really no way to do KissA qinger with less.

I am woefully uninformed about Kissinger, and this would be a fantastic way to learn.

Quick shout-out to SA and BTB for making me leftist as hell. Also a shout-out to the episode where Robert got Billy Wayne a survival knife. Made me realize the perfect Christmas gift for my boyfriend (though I went with a Ka-bar).

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

if my work has one lasting legacy i want that legacy to be drowning this nation in a sea of knives

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GunFondler42069 posted:

I am unable to say what happened but that is not what happened. I know how fair use works.

eh the subject is notoriously litigious and heavy handed, so I kind of have a good idea and I was being a bit loose with terminology

It's a real shame that episode is lost because a week later my brother whose a big basketball fan was visiting and I thought it was a good intro to the podcast to get him hooked, but I had deleted it after the first play

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 4, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The new category of Lost Media: lost podcast episodes.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Hobby Lobby episode was... alright I suppose. The owner is certainly a piece of poo poo thanks to opening the floodgates for Religious Exemption cases and you only have to tell me that someone is an infamous Evangelical or Pentecostal Christian for me to have a negative reaction. Just seemed like a kinda weakish subject because I was expecting him to be absolutely batshit like the Sea Monkey's guy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Testekill posted:

The Hobby Lobby episode was... alright I suppose. The owner is certainly a piece of poo poo thanks to opening the floodgates for Religious Exemption cases and you only have to tell me that someone is an infamous Evangelical or Pentecostal Christian for me to have a negative reaction. Just seemed like a kinda weakish subject because I was expecting him to be absolutely batshit like the Sea Monkey's guy.

I haven't listened to the ep yet, but having some background on the company, Hobby Lobby being involved in the smuggling of ancient relics is a wild-rear end story all on its own.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Have you done anything on Cecil Rhodes or Winston Churchill? Go for some good British poo poo.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Knicks joke this episode made me want more Sports Bastards, but that is a lot of personal preference.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bobjr posted:

The Knicks joke this episode made me want more Sports Bastards, but that is a lot of personal preference.

I'm trying to think of any really reprehensible bastards that would fit with the show theme.

Lenny Dykstra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

bobjr posted:

Vince McMahon? It's fake sport but the dude is an absolute monster.