Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, holy fuckin poo poo.

I peeked ahead and looked the guy up and wow it's not gonna be less infuriating either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, his insights into the matter were huge. As a white Canadian, I knew basically nothing about the Panthers beyond their breakfast program, so this was a really valuable couple episodes.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

That's funny; most white Americans know nothing about the Panthers but that they were black, carried guns, and wore berets.

i only learned what I did from the internet, so it's not to Canada's credit, either :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

they're from a while back, aren't they?

the joke in the second one about the interview with the guy who died is probably one of the best jokes ever made in the show

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm in Canada so I only ever get ads for other podcasts and sometimes I get no ad at all. it's Nice.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I've heard about bolt-cutters and Doritos and that one company that does drone strikes, I think either I just missed the machete episodes or zoned out during them :shrug:

the live episodes should bring you up to speed with the gist quickly, and as a bonus all three of them are absolutely fantastic good times to listen to

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Samovar posted:

Not that I think that Rob and the gang couldn't do a good job, but there is the podcast Pontifacts who are leading up to these popes.

someone just got a new podcast for bedtime listening

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ah, gently caress, that's rough. I'm so sorry to hear that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I always say Kissinger's continued living is proof the good die young.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'd listen to knowledge fight more but I do most of my podcast listening in bed to fall asleep to and while I am brain broken enough to fall asleep to Alex Jones clips I share a bedroom wall with my sister and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to start her workday listening to that. she knows I listen to stuff about horrible people for sleeping to but that seems a step too far

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

all that said I think there's at least a little difference between being paid x large amount by the company you are employed by (iheart) and receiving c large amount via crowdfunding. I don't know that one's better or worse than another but they certainly feel different to me. I'm personally somewhat more ok with squeezing a large company for what it's worth than a herd of people, most of whom probably aren't rolling in cash.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah it's a fair cop, I tend to only hear ads for other podcasts cause I'm in Canada so I don't really get the security system ads and whatnot and am dreadfully ignorant in that regard

it's not like there's really an ethical source of income under capitalism so w/e. it's an awful lot of money but eh.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah seriously. When the first episode started I was like 'oh gross it's gonna be some husband stitch bullshit' but no that's where it started and it only got worse.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

teen witch posted:

Anyway is there a dick doctor who mutilates dicks

there was already the episode about that doctor who fuckin ruined trans surgeries so that's a lot of mangled dicks right there

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

anyway the other day I was feelin lousy and trying to get some rest and so had the terrible secret of sea monkies on and Robert's absolute hysterical glee at revealing to the crowd that the sea monkey guy was a Nazi is one of the most soothing things in the world to me, strange as that is to say.

I miss Billy Wayne Davis as a guest, he's always been a favorite of mine. I sort of gathered a whole back from reading on his Twitter that he's kinda done being paid for podcast appearances in pure exposure, which, like, completely fair on his part. But I miss his appearances.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Testekill posted:

I believe that guests not getting paid is a big problem with iHeartMedia podcasts and was a sticking point because you're still taking a massive chunk outta your day.

yeah i remember reading him tweet something to that effect. sucks cause he was one of my favourite guests, but i get it. the man's job is talking. he should be paid for it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

apatheticman posted:

Anyone know why the amazon episodes were pulled than reuploaded?

nothing weird, they just weren't showing up on a lot of people's feeds for some reason

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I listened to the first two episodes and the hosts seemed to be buying into the conspiracy sort of mindset a little uncomfortably - is this a bit I'm not picking up on or is it entirely just me or does it go away? the topic interests me but that's a major turnoff

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

hmm, okay. Sounds tolerable enough, I'll keep going. I love learning about things people believe.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

... we share a birthday. huh. not the same year, but the same day.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

a good handling so far I think - I hate that the story really does require such a thorough discussion of her but he's not wrong that it's a critical starting ground

the description of her early family situation and lack of good adult modelling too hits very close to home - my irl socialization and autism are such that she's very much "there but for the grace of god" figure for me, substitute grace of god with having internal plumbing and a strong desire to not be a lovely person.

it's a really powerful unraveling, I think, of how easy it is, or was, to justify to oneself what makes an acceptable target

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I'm just gonna guess Chrischan

Well, she's not the bastard, though theres no pretense being held by anyone that she isnt a bastard. If theres a specific bastard here it's kiwifarms (and if there isnt, then our bastard is the fact that the internet is a place where that sort of harassment campaign can thrive)... but there's no telling that story without starting with her.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

yeah, when Robert mentioned the original thread being spun off of another about another internet strange person - the deep lizard brain wants to say it was from thst guy with the really long name that started with a U?

i think the show does a great job of capturing part of the struggle, in that she's weird in a way that sort of compels further attention. I've soaked up so much information just out of going "wait, what the gently caress? no I gotta get a load of this" even though I inevitably go along with my day pretty quickly

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

he had a bunch of people reaching out to him but yeah he's mostly notable in that I don't think he ever came to ill because of the attention, though his quirks seem a lot more harmless

quick google suggests he's doing all right now, which is nice

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I was there for the live show in Feb and heard it unbleeped and I'm not saying who the child hunters are

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

yeah it's all in the podcast too

I relisten to it on occasion, it's really good

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I liked the episode as a non expert at least, nice and breezy, didn't try to go too far in depth, basically the story of the things-you-need-to-know and the guy with a nice aroma of "yeah people are people no matter when but the romans were really hashtag relatable"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

their chocolate chunk cookies own too

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

RIP to Blue Apron’s child-hunting island :(

it's loving wild that it was like that, and yet it's not surprising in the dumbest way.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

i get podcast ads for really tasteless sounding music scandal podcasts too

but yeah from canada its entirely podcast ads, occasionally an ad council thing

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

i think in winnipeg, where hes from, we just say nigh-guard, like it is definitely not the correct swedish pronunciation but it is the norm locally. i assume this is as infuriating to you as the way winnipeg was (briefly) talked about was to me lmao

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Warden posted:

Well, that doesn't solve the issue since he was born in Finland and grew up there until he was something like nine or ten, can't remember which. So he was nyy-goord until that, and started being "nigh guard" afterwards only because people around him couldn't pronounce nyy-goord anymore.

Or we could just drop this tangent. It's honestly getting a bit silly at this point.

nobody uses a non anglicized pronunciation for this guy's name. I get that it's annoying if you speak the language it's from but that's the only issue here. Robert correctly pronounced the name as it is used.

source: I used to live down the street from a building that had his name on it before all this, like really, show of hands from people who actually knew who this guy was before the episode

neongrey fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 14, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Warden posted:

*hesitantly raises his hand*

I did, but that's because he sued a former Finnish model for warning other models about him, after Nygård had failed to get her to come to one of his "parties" by showing her some pictures he had taken and it was a huge media dust-up back then. They ultimately settled, and she had to publicly apologize for warning women that he was a rapist and almost went bankrupt thanks to legal fees. He also sued some Finnish newspapers/tabloids for revealing what went on at his villa in Bahamas, but lost that one.

christ, what an rear end in a top hat

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

the problem with the Svetlana Svetlana ad is that at first it sounds maaaybe relevant to my interests and then by the end of the ad I'm left with the impression that the host just thinks Svetlana is a wacky name and I stop being interested

my least favourite podcast ad is I still think the first season of disgraceland which was basically "you know those celebrities, always acting wild and crazy, well musicians are even crazier"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I'd never really had a weird interaction with the iHeart ad algorithm until tonight, when the discussion of pedophilia in episode 5 of the Illuminati series immediately cut to an ad for children's shoes.

the one time when the shoes never having been worn is a relief

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

Jordan would be fine but I can only really stand a BtB guest if they have something to add other than pained reactions. I liked when Jason Pargin was on to talk about the CIA and did his own research to go with it

I usually like him but I fuckin hated the mkultra episodes because Jason kept adding wishy-washy waffling to literally everything

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm honestly thinking we might get a four parter out of this

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

As someone who knew next to nothing about wrestling going in I appreciated that it meandered and covered a range of stuff.

Yeah, I'm not a wrestling person, and I really appreciated the context. I wish it hadn't gone out on a story I did know, and I'd have liked if it had gone into this century.

I like a 'fun' bastard getting the massive series treatment for once though.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

rotinaj posted:

It is amusing to me that you can tell when someone has spent way too much time arguing on twitter

Jason Pargin has it bad, every single statement he leaned in to make over ep. 1 of the hawk’s nest tunnel disaster had some sort of preemptive rear end-covering statement

When you argue too much on twitter, you wind up trying to fend off counterarguments before they happen with those kinds of preemptive excuses

By the end of the ep I was definitely ready for him to stop letting me know how bad this story is and how hosed up the company is, just tell me what they did and stop telling me how bad it is that they did this bad thing, gently caress

it's the same issue I had with the mkultra episodes - just constant, constant hedging from Jason

i think he might actually be my least favourite guest, others I might not vibe with or find annoying but he actually interferes with my ability to learn about the subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Bell_ posted:

One time on BtB, Cody told a joke that was so funny I laughed.

i still think the single funniest joke anyone's ever done on the show was when David X Cohen was there for the live Soldier of Fortune episode.