Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I use PocketCasts, and never have any issues, but I also have it set to auto download new episodes when on Wifi.

I was listening to the War on Vagrants episodes, and one thing that was said really bothered me.

There was a point where they were discussing the minister giving the poor family money to purchase food and repair their home, and then was upset that they bought sweets or costly items, and owning a bunch of dogs and burning the shingles.

They (rightly) mocked people who beleive that poor people don't deserve to have treats or own pets. However, they didn't acknowledge that there's a difference between buying some food for pleasure and/or having one pet, and buying a lot of junk food and buying 9 dogs.

I've *been* on government assistance, specifically food stamps. I would never begrudge someone buying themselves something special, or owning a pet or two, but it's not unreasonable to be upset if I donated money and goods to a family and they spent *all* of it on junk food and bought a whole herd of pets. That's simply not a responsible use of resources.

It's certainly possible, or even likely, that that story was false, but I would have appreciated an acknowledgement that if it was true, that the minister had a right to be upset.

I beleive that if someone extends you a helping hand, you have a responsibility to be respectful of them and do your best to use that assistance wisely.

Annath fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

A Moose posted:

I could see how people can think a 1-time donation of money isn't gonna pull you out of poverty or really change much, so you just take a vacation from poverty and enjoy yourself. No matter how responsible you are with it, you're still gonna be broke and miserable, and the warm glow of responsibility doesn't last long.

I get that, but buying a bunch of dogs or burning shingles isn't the same a taking a trip or buying a special meal - not only will it not pull you out of poverty, it makes that pit deeper buy adding additional ongoing expenses (food for dogs, damage to house/possessions from leaky roof, etc).

It's just frustrating, because I do advocate for a strong social welfare system, but I do also believe that those benefits should come with responsibility.

When I was getting government assistance, I was required to submit proof that I was looking for work. I wasn't required to obtain employment within a certain time frame, but I did have to be actively looking.

Similarly, I was incentivised to buy healthy/fresh food by my benefits being worth double at farmer's markets.

I think those are great ideas, and that more types of assistance should be available, but have similar requirements and incentives for their use.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Shinji2015 posted:

Are the audio tracks out of sync for anyone else?

The were on the file PocketCasts downloaded initially at like 1am, but the subreddit says it was addressed and re-downloading fixed it for me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Huh, weird. Mine is totally fixed.

Maybe a caching issue with different podcast sources?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I know it's not BtB's fault, but literally every ad break I get is for god drat Fairfax County Transportation, and I'm ready to scream.

E: and it's only on BtB

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

neongrey posted:

it's the same issue I had with the mkultra episodes - just constant, constant hedging from Jason

i think he might actually be my least favourite guest, others I might not vibe with or find annoying but he actually interferes with my ability to learn about the subject

"Prop" gets that dubious honor from me. He's too... energetic? Excitable? His constant exclamations are really annoying.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Jamie Loftus is the best BtB guest.

Andre Ti and Matt Lieb are all right too.

:emptyquote:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Kissinger is dead, yet Carter still remains. Truly it is a wonderful day.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Apparently they had some sort of falling out?

There were conflicting stories on the Subreddit, but a number of people said that Billy Wayne got tired of being asked to come on for multiple-hour recordings for free.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Yeah, apparently at least at the beginning they didn't pay any of their guests for their appearances. At first glance that didn't sound like a big deal, but then you realize some of the topics span multiple episodes recorded on multiple days, and I can see why people might want to be reimbursed for their time.

I do think that they now pay the guests something, but at least initially I don't think they were doing so.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Gotta say, as much as I enjoyed the episode overall, I was pretty sick of Sophie and Jamie constantly jerking off the Devil Wears Prada lady. Like, yeah, she's #girlboss or whatever, but she's still a stuck up pretentious 1%-er, and anybody else like that would be subject to much roasting by the BtB crew.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

rotinaj posted:

The part that gets me is the woman who was picking shards of her own jawbone out of her mouth

How the gently caress did shards of bone go from inside her skull to inside her mouth, there is stuff in the way :stonk:

I don't think it was bone from her skull coming out of the mouth, it was pieces of jawbone chipping off and working their way out.

The body will eventually expel most foreign objects that aren't inside the abdominal cavity - it's fairly common for someone with a bullet, wood splinter, or bone chip to find that object eventually working it's way out through the skin. Usually starts as a painful lump, and will eventually just pop out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Speaking of bones, and only tangentially related, but I've been following the case of a 14 month old kid (at the time, it's been a year since) with a blood lead level of 63.9.

For context, there is no "safe" blood lead level, especially in children, but we (the Department of Health) investigate any cases of levels greater than 5.

Lead loves to bind itself to your bones, and can take months of zero exposure to fully clear the body. It's especially dangerous to kids, because it can cause all sorts of developmental problems.

Kid was living in a house built in 1902, which had been renovated before the family moved in, but being in the historic district, they were not permitted to tear out the original door and window frames, which were covered in degraded lead paint. Kid was just learning to pull himself up onto furniture/objects, and likely got his hands covered in lead paint residue. Or just chewed on the windowsill, lead tastes sweet :v:

It's been a year, and his level is only down to like 26, so he's probably gonna have some significant developmental problems come to light as he gets older :(

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Zugzwang posted:

That's pretty sad. And then there was the recent case of lead poisoning in kids linked to applesauce pouches, which may have been intentional contamination. It's especially scary as a parent because there's nothing to be done about it, save for avoiding the lead in the first place.

Yeah, I just got an update on the applesauce stuff.

I don't typically handle lead cases for our health district, we have another nurse that does those, but I was asked to handle the kid's case because it was so ridiculously high and nobody knew what to do with it.

I mean neither did I, but I got asked to anyway :v:

Ended up having to call in an assessor from another district to conduct a full testing of the house and property. No lead in the water thank god, but pretty much every room had some level of lead dust contamination.

We had to write up a (50+ page) report and remediation recommendation. Took months to deal with.

E: holy poo poo, I just read the latest update on the applesauce - investigations into the cinnamon used in the factory that made these products found lead levels of up to 5110 parts per million.

The level considered "acceptable maximum" for bark products will be adopted as 2.5ppm in 2024.

Annath fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 19, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
No, Radon is not inert. It's radioactive, causes lung cancer, and is a significant hazard for homes with basements in certain areas of the US.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
They're both fine as guests, though I find Garrison more interesting.

I find people of Margaret's professed ideology extremely irritating, so I don't like her personally, but as a podcast guest she's mostly fine.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Personally I think they should have gone with "publicly available" evidence.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Prop you're probably a great hang but you're also really insufferable

FTFY

He's, by far, the worst guest, at least of the episodes I recall.

Maybe there's a worse one off.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
To each their own.

I find both how he talks and what he has to say boring and simultaneously really annoying.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Eh, Jamie Loftus is almost always great, and never terrible. The same can't be said for some other guests, even ones who have been on multiple times.

Whatever happened to the hilarious hillbilly guy? Billy something? I don't remember his name but he and Robert had a great back and forth.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Warden posted:

Billy Wayne Davis? Unofficial blacklist by the parent company BTB is on, because he complained about them not paying their guests on social media.

They pay their guests these days, although it's a pretty nominal from what I hear.

Oh man, that's too bad.

Pretty lame they weren't paying their guests anything - it's work after all - but probably not the best idea to bring it public unless it's a much bigger issue.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

neongrey posted:

idk, I do know people who really dislike her though I never found out why. I find her a really neutral presence personally; she rarely adds any perspective to the story that I find interesting so mostly what I get out of her is some mildly funny back-and-forth with Sophie and the odd one-liner. She is on my favourite episode though so w/e I guess.

I don't know anything about her other than what she's like on BTB, so if people dislike her comedy or something I've got no idea.

I stay far away from Twitter/X, so I see none of that toxic bullshit.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I grew up in Fredericksburg VA, so I couldn't take two steps without tripping over a Revolutionary/Civil War era site.

I also attended Robert E. Lee Elementary school, so...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I use PocketCast. I paid for it years ago and that gives me some sort of benefit when they changed their payment tiers. I know I can use the web version with no restrictions?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

If you purchased Pocket Casts Plus when they changed from a one-time purchase to a subscription in late 2019, they gave lifetime plans to those who bought it before the switch.

That's what it was then. I paid for it years ago.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Tbh I can't stand anything CZM does other than BtB. Most of the staff run the gamut from "well meaning but annoying" to "you stupid mother fucker".

There's one person who has been a guest several times who always makes a point to talk about how they live "off the grid" and they're "so punk" or whatever, and I just want to shake them and yell "dumbass you're not off the grid, you just live in squalor! You're recording an internet podcast and you use public transportation!"

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it Margaret Killjoy? I like her a lot of the time but whenever anarchism or stuff like that comes up it’s like “please shut up. Stop talking. This is so clearly a fantasy you have in your head”. She mentioned something in the Illuminati episodes about rural areas being so full of anarchists and said something like “oh yeah in half the diners if you’re wearing an anarchy symbol hat you’ll end up with a free meal” that made me roll my eyes. I’m from the middle of nowhere and that just absolutely did not track for me.

Yeah, that's it.

Like, if you're going to a loving diner you're not some off the grid survivalist anarchist - you're driving on public roads, using utilities services, and no way in hell you built your own phone and computer parts. Its such virtue signalling "better than thou" BS.

Also, the lifestyle she describes just sounds... gross. Like, actually "this makes me want to bathe" gross.

I dunno. My tolerance for that kind of almost immature fantasy crap has gotten much lower over the years. Robert is guilty of a lot of the same stuff, just to a much lesser degree. Talking up his protest actions and mutual aid crap like its actually meaningful. None of that does anything but make the people doing it feel good about themselves and actively undermines actual social progress. Nobody's gonna want to make the actual necessary changes to society if they think crusty punks are what actual progress looks like.

Anyway rant over, Steve Jobs sucked his whole life.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
It rarely comes up, but a lot of stuff they mention about healthcare is either wrong, or the information is correct but they draw inappropriate conclusions because they don't have the context to understand what they've read.

I do like that Robert does a lot of reading of books by people more well-versed in the subject though. Usually the inaccuracies are things they bring up anecdotally.

But at the end of the day, BtB is entertainment, not education, and should be treated as such.

Even a podcast as massively researched as Dan Carlin's Hardcore History should still be used as an introduction to a subject, a good jumping off point for those interested in learning more.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

rotinaj posted:

Look, baby eating McGee might be a boring listen, but you may have a different feeling about Big Fat Ugly Bug Face Baby Eating O’Brien

https://youtu.be/vwoc7HgN6YE

That's no lie my favorite movie ever.

"Professional Pirate" is amazing, and Long John Silver is Tim Curry's best role.

The reason Michael Caine and Tim Curry are so good in their respective Muppet movies is that Michael Caine treats the Muppets as fellow actors, and Tim Curry treats himself as a fellow Muppet.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Froghammer posted:

Don't make me choose between Muppet movies, thread

This is the best Muppets movie and you know it, deep in your heart...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

rotinaj posted:

I am not gonna argue which is the best, I only wish to present this delightful song

https://youtu.be/p_bggBrUbCo

Its definitely one of the all-time greats.

BTB should do a 2-part not-bastard episode on Mr. Rogers and Jim Henson.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Warden posted:

I tried to listen to Margaret's Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff and chose the episode about snipers Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Simo Häyhä, but in giving background info to Häyhä, she gave her version of Finnish Civil War and it was not just full of factual mistakes, it was downright completely loving unhinged. And what's weird is that she actually lived here for several years. I stopped there, and haven't tried again.

It didn't help that her style of presenting didn't work for me at all.

Unhinged is a pretty good adjective for Margaret overall tbh.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Zugzwang posted:

Friend of the show SBF got 25 years today. Surprised it wasn't longer, because few things get your poo poo ruined like messing with rich people's money.

I think I read the prosecution asked for like 80 years lol.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Did Robert ever issue a correction/retraction about that stuff? He's done so before, albeit usually about incorrect details rather than poor research and incorrect information slandering a still living person.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

swickles posted:

I haven't listened yet, but last time something like this happened by the time I got to it there was already a little pop in during the episode, right after the fact, so I will you know if there is anything when I do listen later today/tomorrow.

Edit: just realized this week is a rerun, so I imagine a correction would be there already

Yeah, no correction slotted in in post.

I feel like the show has gotten worse over the years about not vetting their sources as well.

Like, Robert clearly does a ton of research, but sometimes it seems like he spends a lot of time studying sources that he spent very little time finding/assessing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LanceHunter posted:

Well, the Ace of Base thing was just an aside and referencing a Cracked article one of his friends wrote. So that wasn’t really one of the sources for the episode.

I mean, personally I think if you're going to accuse someone of being a nazi, you should maybe make sure it's an accurate statement, especially if your source is a Cracked article.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, if it was something one of your coworkers wrote, that the legal team at your employer approved, and didn’t get you sued for defamation, then I could understand taking its findings at face value if you hadn’t really thought of it since.

Maybe I just don't know enough about Cracked, but at least back when I frequented the site it never gave me the impression it had a legal team, let alone one that reviewed articles.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

teen witch posted:

If that article is from nearly ten years ago on the relics of a defunct website, can’t do much about that. I mean the information is out there on Wikipedia and it’s sourced? Ace of Base really isn’t personas non grata outside of clear clickbait poo poo, I think they’re all living a beautiful life.

I think the most important thing is that people can change.

No, I know the article is old, and I don't expect it to be updated.

My issue is that Robert made the Savitri Devi episode in 2020, well (literally decades) after the guy from Ace of Base had spoken at length about his views on his past and trying to repent going forward.

As someone who seems to at least want to appear to be ethical in his work, Robert should have left the quip out if he didn't want to double check.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The audience the show had in 2020 wouldn't get butthurt about him unfairly maligning an ex-Nazi and his friends

Yeah, people not actually being informed about the nuance of a situation and making immediate and permanent judgements of others based on incomplete information was common then and only more common now.

I just find it disappointing that someone who made bad choices in the past, but who has owned them and tried to move forward without covering them up is still having those choices thrown in his face without the accompanying redemption being included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

There are bad choices, and then there is being a Nazi

Seeing as, as far as literally anyone has said, he never actually did anything but hang out with bigots and espouse bigotry (as opposed to, you know, killing/hurting people), I'd put that firmly in the "dumbass choices" column.