Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Subscribed, saw it still puts the ICHH episodes in the main feed, immediately unsubscribed. There’s nothing worse than being in a 4 parter, hitting half an hour of a drive where I don’t have service, and getting a preloaded batch of content that ages quickly delivered by hosts that are like a 50:50 ratio of being bad at delivering things over an audio medium. Putting the weekly ICHH in the main feed is basically a giant ad for the daily ICHH that’s way harder to skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zugzwang posted:

Matt Lieb is my favorite guest.

Jeff May sliiightly edges him out for me but he’s so rare that Lieb is functionally my favorite.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The funniest joke was when they had a perfect bastard in Phyllis Schaffly and had a guest that was about as fun as talking to Andy Schaffly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
He also had a weird Twitter meltdown when someone asked for alt text so they could read one of his posters with show dates. That was more recent than when he stopped going on the show though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zeniel posted:

Radium is an alpha emitter (also gamma and beta emitter too, but less of a concern wrt bone, although may depend on the activity) and also a bone seeker too I think.

The alpha is more of a concern because the majority of a given radium sample is going to be Ra-226, which undergoes alpha decay. Gamma and beta decay would still be a major problem for bones but the half life of the isotopes that undergo beta decay are so much smaller (single digit years for one, weeks for the other vs 1600 years for 226) that they’re going to be a much smaller amount of a given sample of radium. Ra-226 decays to Radon-222, which then alpha decays quickly (days!) to Polonium 218. That then alpha decays even faster (minutes) to stuff I stop caring enough to remember.

And Radon is a group 2 element like calcium so it ends up subbing in for calcium wherever you find it in your body. Obviously bones are the big one but it could probably result in funky nerve stuff if the bone cancer wasn’t so rapidly lethal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Falukorv posted:

You probably meant to write it but Radium is the group 2 element, Radon is an inert gas (same group as helium, neon, argon).

Whoops, my “close enough for autocorrect” typing style probably got me that time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Those were pretty good episodes, too. I think Margaret helped keep some structure that usually you end up losing when Garrison is on. Also helped by the fact that Garrison was just a guest and not guest hosting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LanceHunter posted:

Binged the entire Illuminati series between my last post and now. I was 14 when I first read the Principia Discordia, and sure enough there was a lot in there that made me really sad. Ultimately, though, it really filled in a lot of gaps and was an extremely enlightening listen. Also, I've got a hardcover copy of John Higgs's The KLF arriving at my house tomorrow.

What did you think of the Margaret/Garrison combo? I thought she balanced the Garrison and Robert dynamic perfectly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Annath posted:

To each their own.

I find both how he talks and what he has to say boring and simultaneously really annoying.

He can have his moments but I really, really do not like how often he has a the start of a thought and then lays down conversational suppressing fire to keep things pinned in place until he can finish that thought. I don’t mind tangents but his get long and repetitive because he’ll just tread the same few things so that Robert can’t move the topic forward.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ardemia posted:

I'm just not a fan of episodes where the guest is either the worlds most sheltered child of privilege type dipshit that has never looked at a history book, or is disengaged to the level of seeming to be watching a TV show while on the podcast.

"Wait, Hitler you said his name was? Never heard of 'em. Is he the guy that made harmonicas? He did WHAT?!"

Those are far better than anything involving Mia Wong.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snuffman posted:

Also the Jamie Loftus Bitcoin episodes is...ooofffffff.....reeeal bad. She was extremely drunk and the whole thing is very awkward. I normally really like her as a guest and was happy how much better she seemed on her latest episode.

The crypto episode where the guest could be charitably described as “drunk out of their goddamn mind” was Sofiya Alexendra, not Jamie Loftus.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think it comes down to her just being a very neutral presence. I don’t think I’ve ever had a “please shut the gently caress up” moment on an episode she’s been on but it’s also pretty rare that she brings anything to the episode. Sometimes it’s fine (Kaiser Wilhelm) because the subject is something complex enough and with enough detail you don’t really need it. Sometimes the subject needs a bit more out of the guest and when it does she doesn’t really bring it.

That said, not thinking “please shut the gently caress up” ten times in an episode is a strong improvement over a lot of the guests they’ve been leaning on since switching to Zoom so I’ll take it. I miss back when they were more likely to have one off guests because having to get them to the studio meant a lot more scheduling conflicts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Regalingualius posted:

Spotify’s been the one that I’ve had the least issues with for podcasts.

Same. For whatever reason it’s the only one that plays nice with the buttons for forward/back in my car.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does podcast addict let me filter out ICHH? I really wish they would stop putting that in the main feed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Willeh posted:

I did this exact thing and it seems to be working just fine, haven't seen it pop up after I put the filter in a few weeks ago.

Awesome, I’ll definitely give Podcast Addict a shot. I really get annoyed when an ICHH episode pops up in the middle of a 4 parter and I’m driving.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Marsupial Ape posted:

loving poo poo. Steve Jobs had a god complex because he has stock standard mythical hero origin. A Prince and Princess from different kingdoms have a romance that produces a child, but the Princess’ evil King father wants the baby gone. So, the baby prince is secreted away to be raised by a humble peasant couple who will teach him virtue and hard work.

Jobs was a nerd, right? Surely, he saw “Clash of the TItans” and had to have been like “Oh, poo poo I am Perseus!”

I think it’s much more likely he had an idea that was profitable, was cutthroat in making it incredibly profitable (jfc Christ the stuff he did to the woz) and then disappeared entirely up his own rear end than thinking he decided his life arc was mythology incarnate in the way you usually only see in people who get way to into witchy tiktok.

Dude just thought he could outsmart cancer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

I haven’t tried to put my thoughts together on this much yet but yeah, between the apple vision episode was just rambling about tech stuff, the rot economy episode that felt more like an article he wanted to get more attention on, and the jobs series, it’s just not clicking for me

I’ve honestly cooled a lot on BtB over the last year or so. There’s still some good episodes but unless it’s someone I really want to hear about or a cult episode I’m like “eh, maybe if I absolutely run out of anything else to listen to”. Oh, and Matt Lieb episodes. But a lot of episodes feel either aimless or like the kind of thing you’re describing here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

I honestly wonder if everyone at CZM is just burned out. There seems to be this atmosphere of going through the motions to make a living while they build out their homestead to ride out the apocalypse.

I think the release schedule for ICHH is too much, especially for a show where the research seems to be “doomscroll but like, as a job instead of as a mental version of cutting”. And BtB going to Zoom means they use a smaller bench so they’re also getting called in to guest on more episodes since they can.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

I have not listened to any it could happen here since they went daily and I would love it if it would stop being auto-downloaded into the behind the bastards feed on weekends, I do not want to listen to it

:same:, I’ve put it on once or twice and it is super not for me. It’s very poorly put together and the hosts are mostly people where I will straight up skip an episode of BtB if they’re on it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I can’t think of any other podcast that puts a different show into its feed every single week like that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I follow one sports podcast that is part of a network, and they very frequently put certain episodes from a separate podcast (in the same network) in the main feed to promote that show.

Do they put literally every episode from that same show into their main feed?

Shinji2015 posted:

I listen to ICHH semi-regularly, but it's very topic and host dependent. Panels are good (especially if Robert is there), Gare is good, James and Shareen are fine, but Mia desperately needs someone to bounce off of and is much better reacting than hosting, and Andrew's just way too quiet for me to listen to

Whenever Mia has hosted BtB it’s been awful. She’s mentioned on Twitter that she’s doing a script for a Mao episode and if they burn Mao with her hosting that would just be loving insane.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shinji2015 posted:

idk, it feels like she's on all the time whenever I'm looking at an episode because of the topic, and if she's flying solo or doing an interview, I just don't bother.

I genuinely wish I liked listening to Mia or Andrew more, because they tend to cover topics I'm generally not well versed in, and they just can't keep my interest. I only managed to listened to the recent Temu episodes Mia was hosting because Garrison was there with her and they work well together

I feel like most of them should just do long form articles because they are incredibly bad at staying on track/being clear when they’re speaking. Which is just a little important for a podcast.

E:also I don’t know how reliable they are for stuff that you’re not well versed in because every time I’ve tried to listen to a CZM thing about something I’m familiar with they get so much wrong. I don’t think I would trust their research.

Annath posted:

There's one person who has been a guest several times who always makes a point to talk about how they live "off the grid" and they're "so punk" or whatever, and I just want to shake them and yell "dumbass you're not off the grid, you just live in squalor! You're recording an internet podcast and you use public transportation!"

Is it Margaret Killjoy? I like her a lot of the time but whenever anarchism or stuff like that comes up it’s like “please shut up. Stop talking. This is so clearly a fantasy you have in your head”. She mentioned something in the Illuminati episodes about rural areas being so full of anarchists and said something like “oh yeah in half the diners if you’re wearing an anarchy symbol hat you’ll end up with a free meal” that made me roll my eyes. I’m from the middle of nowhere and that just absolutely did not track for me.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 17, 2024

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When I first started listening to the podcast I put the Action Park episode on because I love stories about that place. I legit did not realize it was a different host for a minute, I thought I had accidentally set it to 1.5x speed while messing with my car stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warden posted:

I tried to listen to Margaret's Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff and chose the episode about snipers Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Simo Häyhä, but in giving background info to Häyhä, she gave her version of Finnish Civil War and it was not just full of factual mistakes, it was downright completely loving unhinged. And what's weird is that she actually lived here for several years. I stopped there, and haven't tried again.

It didn't help that her style of presenting didn't work for me at all.

I haven’t listened to that podcast but ooof. I’m not surprised that when she writes her own stuff she’s unhinged because that sums up like 95 percent of CZM. I think most of my liking her as a BTB guest is because they’ve set the bar so goddamn low in the past few years.

Warden posted:

Her version: bunch of right-wing bootlickers attempt to sell a newly independent country to Germany, so plucky social democrats who want a free republic are forced to fight a civil war that they heroically lose, and suffer horrible terror as leftists martyrs.

Reality: communists seize the leadership of Social Democrat Party, which leads to a Russian Bolshevik-backed coup/revolt, which forces the government to flee and ask Imperial Germany for aid. Germany agrees, because Russia is dithering at Brest-Litovsk, and thus join the war with the aim of taking Finland to German sphere of influence in order to put more pressure on the Bolsheviks to sign the treaty. Atrocities on both sides, the winners throw the losers into horrid prison camps which cause mass death.

Edit. Here's an effort post about the topic I made a few years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=225843#post511163318

Note that I never finished my series of posts, so I didn't cover the Terror in any depth.

I didn’t listen to the whole series because it was early on when they were worse at presenting than they are now (which is saying something) but Lions Led By Donkeys went into depth on some of this with their winter war series. I think their research absolutely blows away a lot of the BTB stuff, but Joe Kassabian has some real :eyeroll: takes himself sometimes. Also none of them are really good presenters, hitting the lofty heights of “I didn’t want to claw my ears out”, which still is far better than the people that guest host BTB.