Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Love the podfacts, but Robert's rant about Syria still weird me out.

Like, yes, Assad is a monster, but America getting it's dick in and doing more Imperialism isn't working so well in Lybia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You should try to get Dave Anthony and/or Gareth Edwards on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also Jefferson Davis episode when.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

I'll get to him at some point, but to be honest he's just not someone who interests me very much. It's an inevitable reality of the show that my content is heavily driven by who I want to spend 10-30 hours reading and writing about. The workload of this series (and my other podcasts + bellingcat) is pretty intense, and it can be crushing if I'm researching and writing anything other than the person I happen to be most interested in at that moment.

I understand perfectly.

I just really hate Davis. For decades he had a memorial plate in Downtown Montreal because turns out he escaped to my city after he lost the Civil War.

GunFondler42069 posted:

Dave and I are talking about it, so far it's been difficult to make our schedules work. My dream is to do the gigantic Kissinger series with him, but asking someone to sit for like 4 episodes is quite a request and there's really no way to do Kissinger with less.

Oh yeah, that checks out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I feel like I'm between 5-10 episodes behind because I follow so many podcasts.

I started the Black Panther episode on my way home from our bi-Weekly D&D game and it's a strong start so far.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One of the big problems is there are just so many Bastards.

Like I could pitch Maurice Duplessis, PM of Quebec for a long time and he was so bad his reign is now officially known in history books as "The Great Darkness". But when you compare him to dictators and such he kind of pales in comparison.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

For those of you who want me to do a Warhammer podcast, here is a 4 hour video of me explaining the background of Warhammer 40k to my disbelieving friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRomQkC-D_8

:allears:

Necrons are the good guys because they want to save everyone from having to live in the 40K universe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

For those of you who want me to do a Warhammer podcast, here is a 4 hour video of me explaining the background of Warhammer 40k to my disbelieving friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRomQkC-D_8

I am now at the one hour mark and it's still great.

You ever check out System Mastery? It's a fun podcast about TTRPGs. The guys who do it also do a podcats on Star Wars' insane expanded universe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fun fact: Ultramar is a chain of Gas Stations in Canada.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The new category of Lost Media: lost podcast episodes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Grubstakers already did an amazing episode on Vince McMahon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teen witch posted:

I am VERY JEALOUS of Sophie’s Lisa Hanawalt shirt

It's a good looking shirt.

Do they have it in blue?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bernie Bros aren't real.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teen witch posted:

This conversation is crucial and so crucial that it should maybe be had...elsewhere.

Probably. It's just so frustrating, you know?

It's like a self-inflicted Stand Alone Complex. Bernie Bros where cynically mad eup by the Hillary campaign and 2016 and somehow a large amount of people have convinced themselves they are real and react to every slightly negative comment from the left as if they were harassment attacks from the mythical Bernie Bros.

It's the liberal equivalent of gang-stalking.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The person who invented the Bernie Bros bullshit deserves to be covered as a Bastard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We need more 40K lore dumps in these dark times.

Tell me more about the Fabricator-General and the Machine-Priests of Mars.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just joined an online game of Dark Heresy 2E, the roleplayigng ame where you play as the goons of an Inquisitor going around hunting down heretics and cults. I'm playing a Mechanicus Detective. This lore is now important to me.

Yes I am being selfish and dumb.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats fantasy. 40k is different. though i like fantasy alot too.

Oh man I love Fantasy. I've got a bunch of WFRP books and the Genevičve novels.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

I'd love to talk more about Hams, but I've got no idea how to do it as an organized show. I feel like it'd wind up requiring as much research as the regular work and I'd have real trouble writing 10 pages about the Tyrant of Badab while Steven Miller is right there

It's fine. We're just having fun talking about that cool stream you did. :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I will never get tired of people dunking on Shen Bapiro.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

kind of hard not to

For more dunking on True Allegiance, there's the Chapo crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FLVnzMBIY

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I remember someone in C-SPAM claiming Robert was a CIA asset because of his association to Bellingcat.

Or maybe they were talking about another Robert Evans. In any case, people say things. :shrug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

This was before either of us had really traveled to the Middle East or given much thought to Palestine.

It's easy to underestimate how incredibly propagandized Israel is to most American, and how most of us didn't know any better until it was all revealed.

For me it was a conference during Human Sciences week at my Cegep (this weird thing between high school and university we have here in Quebec) where a journalist exposed how Palestinians lived and how she couldn't show any of it on air. She worked for Radio-Canada, our national tv channel. This must have been in 2005-2006.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I read King Leopold's Ghost, I knew who Stanley was the moment I read the episode title.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Someone has to cover John A Macdonald one of these days.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Zeniel posted:

Just chiming in to say, been enjoying the podcast, and started reading King Leopold's Ghost. I've always a real fascination with the Congo Free State. You'd think one of the greatest atrocities in human history would be more widely known. I guess in many ways it was overshadowed by several other atrocities. The end of the 19th century was a really dark time.

I'm surprised there isn't a big budget oscar-bait Hollywood biopic about the two white guys who helped stop it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its probably because it would be too "boring". plus no real satisfying ending(things continued to be hosed an only got somewhat better in the last like decade or so) or way to make any white characters full on "good guys"(at least in the 21st century sensibilities) i could see a one shot show thing like Chernobyl though.

That's never stopped Hollywood before.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

For fans of Robert, he is currently live-tweeting from the Pro-Rona Rally in Salem

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1256610591864614912?s=21

Please be okay as well as writing okay.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Suggestion for a new slogan for BtB:

Behind the Bastards: Come for the cult leaders and fascist dictators, stay for the fake doctors!

Seriously, so many fake doctors. And ironically, one of the few real doctors had to put aside his doctorly training to become a dictator and massacre thousands of his own citizens.

Papa Doc?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

papa doc had a medical degree

Yeah, that's why I asked if they were talking about him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Doctors are really the professions to watch for when looking for future dictators.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Dollop did a series specifically on the LAPD early on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bored As gently caress posted:

It limits collateral damage. It's actually a really good invention, and it would've been great if we'd had it 20 years ago, because a lot of innocent people - men, women, children - would still be alive today if we had it then.

Yeah but weren't most targets also innocent?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because robert hates assad for being a monster and various parts of cspam/left dont.

It's more like he's very pro-intervention when it has a long history of making things worse.

BTB is a pretty good podcast, but Robert has major blinders when it comes to Foreign Policy due to his background. Comes with listening to anyone really: you gotta know their biases and sutff

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

i really don't know how you could interpret robert as being "very pro-intervention". really hating assad and really believing that obama hosed up handling syria doesn't necessitate believing the us should invade and regime change. you can't be pro rojava and in favor of that, imho, since rojava would definitely disappear in any major intervention.

There at least one time he goes on a huge rant about people who thought they shouldn't have intervened, as well as comment he made about Venezuela and stuff. It's a thing. :shrug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I just listened to the QAnon episode of WYE and the inherent value of psychologically profiling the cult leaders is that if you determine what specific insecurities they are preying on, reverse engineering a therapeutic strategy becomes dramatically easier. I feel like the guest was trying to communicate that but it didn’t come out 100% clear. A very good episode and probably the most unsettling one to date.

I hope Robert gets an award for his work in da streets, like a gold plated pair of bolt cutters, or some kind of bagel trebuchet

A gold watch from his CIA handlers.

:troll:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm just going to link Cynical Historian's 2-parter on Wilson.

tl;dw: Wilson popularized Southern Lost Cause mythology, along with the second KKK. Basically created American Imperialism as we know it today, arguably set up the conditions that would lead to WWII, and not mentioned in the videos: suppressed the Women's Sufferage movement.

I thought McKinley and Teddy Roosevelt had started American Imperialism.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Should do an episode on Joe Biden.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

When is the 40K pocast? We ungrateful listeners demand content!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You ever think about doing an episode on the Dulles Brothers?

Or maybe I missed it, I missed a bunch at some point.