Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Hey y'all this is Robert. TFR convinced me to get back on to talk about guns.

I think I was unclear in my 8chan episode and some folks have misinterpreted the status of my old account. I was never permabanned or anything. My old account is still active. But I had it when I was 12 or something and I'd prefer not to have it easily associated with my name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

I was actually a pretty hardcore Republican when I got on Something Awful. Getting repeatedly owned in D&D was an important growth experience.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The role of SA in radicalizing posters will be one of its lasting legacies

that and groverhaus

Groverhaus will be SA's only true legacy. In a thousand years our modern political spats will be long forgotten, but that insulated staircase will remain. A symbol of man's folly stretching off into eternity.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Unfortunately the only fictional universe I know enough about to do an episode like that for is Warhammer 40k and the resulting episode would be interesting for roughly 9 people

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also it introduced me to Four Fists for which I will be forever grateful

You should check out everything by Astronautalis. The River, The Woods is just...spectacular. I have him putting together a special cover of Bella Ciao for the Rojava series I'm writing.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

All his songs slap so loving hard. The Case of William Smith is also a banger, and a great Kris Kristofferson homage to boot.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

MonsieurChoc posted:

You should try to get Dave Anthony and/or Gareth Edwards on.

Dave and I are talking about it, so far it's been difficult to make our schedules work. My dream is to do the gigantic Kissinger series with him, but asking someone to sit for like 4 episodes is quite a request and there's really no way to do Kissinger with less.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also Jefferson Davis episode when.

I'll get to him at some point, but to be honest he's just not someone who interests me very much. It's an inevitable reality of the show that my content is heavily driven by who I want to spend 10-30 hours reading and writing about. The workload of this series (and my other podcasts + bellingcat) is pretty intense, and it can be crushing if I'm researching and writing anything other than the person I happen to be most interested in at that moment.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

For those of you who want me to do a Warhammer podcast, here is a 4 hour video of me explaining the background of Warhammer 40k to my disbelieving friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRomQkC-D_8

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Droyer posted:

I recently started listening to Beyond the Bastards and I'm going through it in chronological order (the Weinstein episode was a rough listen) and Robert always says that there are pictures/videos at beyondthebastords.com. Since partnering with iheart that website doesn't seem to exist anymore. Is there somewhere else you can find this stuff or has it been lost to the winds of time?

This is something a number of people complain about and I have no idea what the issue is. Every time I visit behindthebastards.com i immediately find the bibliography

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

so since it was brought up on the latest episode, how quickly did the you get a takedown for the Under the Hood review episode

I am unable to say what happened but that is not what happened. I know how fair use works.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

if my work has one lasting legacy i want that legacy to be drowning this nation in a sea of knives

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

neongrey posted:

they're from a while back, aren't they?

the joke in the second one about the interview with the guy who died is probably one of the best jokes ever made in the show

yeah, I think that's the hardest I've ever laughed while doing an episode

David X. Cohen is truly a wonderful person. He was also instantly on board to recklessly wield a machete on stage while strangers pelted him with bread products. Every now and then you get to meet one of your heroes and they completely live up to the hype.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

a quantum subject of the podcast has tested positive for COVID

https://twitter.com/JoeyMulinaro/status/1244084522305703941

no comment

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

I'd love to talk more about Hams, but I've got no idea how to do it as an organized show. I feel like it'd wind up requiring as much research as the regular work and I'd have real trouble writing 10 pages about the Tyrant of Badab while Steven Miller is right there

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

man, reporting on Biden as a candidate is gonna make Twitter hell for a while

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Teen Witch's advice would be the best I can give, really. I dunno, this might be a longer shot, but maybe try to get him hooked on some fiction that does a really good job of representation without beating the reader over the head with it? The Expanse is real good for that.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

the Israeli government / military are guilty of horrific crimes against the Palestinian people and I'm real bummed by that.

My ex was not wearing the shirt for any political reason. This was years ago and she was a country girl who grew up with literally no education about any of this. She thought the shirt looked neat and had been wearing it for years, so it was worn down to a very comfy level. This was before either of us had really traveled to the Middle East or given much thought to Palestine.

I thought it was clear from the story that:

1. This guy absolutely did not serve in the IDF

2. He was a dangerously unhinged person

I'm completely baffled that folks would assume I'm pro-Israel from the fact that I chose not to go on a rant about the occupation during an episode that was not at all focused on that subject.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

yeah. Every now and then I'll get complaints like "why haven't you covered [x]" or even "because you haven't done an episode about [y] you must support it" and the reality of the situation is that there's more horrible crimes being perpetuated around the globe than I could ever possibly cover and I tend to focus mostly on stuff that's already in my area of knowledge because it's easier for me to cover competently and in a timely fashion. Episodes like Modi take me twice as long to do because I just knew gently caress-all about Indian politics going into it.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

I tell Dan to do a lot of things, mostly felonies. I'm glad he listened finally.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

People make logical leaps about me that are real interesting. The most recent one I encountered was somebody in the subreddit claiming I'd never cover Jeff Bezos because iHeart/ClearChannel wouldn't let me. They said it with such certainty as if there's not a live episode that includes me urging a crowd of human beings to buy bolt cutters and break into Bezos's house.

(For the record I haven't covered Bezos yet because I'm pretty sure he's boring as a person and I just haven't gotten around to figuring out how to highlight his awfulness in an entertaining way.)

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

IHeartRadio (which used to be ClearChannel if I understand correctly) bought Stuff Media a year or so ago, right before I was hired full timer. I was originally a contract employee, signed on to produce just my show, but then it became a huge hit and they gave me a salary and healthcare etc. I also get a cut of ad revenue which is currently quite lucrative, hence why I have not engaged in further crowdfunding.

There is no behind the scenes control. Believe me or not, but I've never been told by anyone at all at iHeart what I can and cannot cover. My bosses love my work and are like, unreasonably positive about everything I do. When I said, "I just got back from Syria and I wanna talk about this quasi-anarchist feminist political experiment for seven hours" they said "we'd love to produce that show" and that was the end of the discussion. As a creative professional I don't think I could ask for a more supportive working environment.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Tulsi was easy. That one wrote itself.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Shinji2015 posted:

Out of curiousity (and if you're allowed to answer, of course), does iHeartRadio own the rights to any of your shows? If some time down the road you became disgruntled with iHeart, you get a better deal with another company, etc, could you take Behind the Bastards with you, or would you have to start a new show?

We share ownership. Presumably I'd need to make a new show unless they ceded their share of control, but fortunately "talking about lovely people" is a concept that is impossible to copyright.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

blunt for century posted:

Notable Bastards from the First US Civil War would be good too, the little bit about Sherman in the most recent episode made me think of this

yeah, I suspect I'll have to do Sherman at some point. it's tragic, I'm a big fan of some of his work

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Jacob Wohl is a mix of incredibly awful person whose stunts are so dumb they are worth marveling at. Roof's only real significant act was to shoot nine people to death in a church. He's a monster but really, I dunno, going into detail on him seems gross. Anders Breivik would be a better pick for a mass shooter.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Chairman Capone posted:

Started listening to the Mad Mike Hoare episodes. The start of the first one on H. Rider Haggard, Allan Quatermain, Congo, and the Lost World genre leads me to shamelessly plug an article I wrote on that topic, based on a chapter I wrote for my dissertation:

https://contingentmagazine.org/2019/03/18/hunting-dinosaurs-africa/

this is a great article and I may steal parts of this shamelessly for an episode

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Jack2142 posted:

Robert as someone who has been at protesting the last two weeks at East Precinct and lives in the neighborhood thanks for using your platform to help counter all the insane conservative brigading of CHAZ with your platform.

It is absolutely bonkers how much people are freaking out over what is, at this point, essentially a large unpermitted block party with barricades

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

DC Murderverse posted:

honestly it's not quite the realm of BtB but there should be an Old Internet Lore podcast that deals with stuff like this.

if the world gets unfucked enough that i feel less of a pressing need to cover the stuff I currently cover, i think I would be very happy taking a retirement gig as a historian of the Old Good Internet

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

no way that you purchase that book is likely to send more money my way, so do whatever. i don't care if you steal it.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

i've said this before, but my favorite thing about the sword missile is that it is simultaneously one of the dumbest things ever and also one of the single best ideas anyone in the defense industry has had in like 20 years

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m sorry but in general I really don’t think any Billionaire should be in charge of our country and Oprah is like kind of a cool person with an amazing back story but she’s also a cult leader with more media power than Rupert loving Murdoch, I’m sorry but I don’t trust her. Same poo poo with the Mark Cuban episode, no one has ever made a billion dollars by respecting the people who work for them.

i don't trust any of them, it's not a good thing to say "she might be less terrible than either of our existing options", it is- and was meant as- a horrifying indictment of where we are right now

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he was talking about the regular cops. Harris and klebold both had records and also once the shooting started the cops were on scene and basically sat outside the library. the school officer actually tried to do his job but got chased off by gun fire i believe.

i was making the point that the presence of SROs in schools is often justified by arguing that they will prevent mass shootings. the fact that there were armed officers in columbine who failed to prevent the violence is relevant because, in general, cops are pretty useless at stopping mass shootings

i've spent enough time arguing with terminally online leftists about intervention, from Milosevic stans who will tell me that srebrinica never happened to folks who insist that assad never deployed chemical weapons

it's cool if you don't think intervention is ever justified, i disagree with you in specific instances but it's a stance someone can make an evidence-based argument to support. when people straight-up deny acts of genocide and war crimes because they were committed to someone opposed to the U.S., i think those people are pieces of poo poo. i'm through arguing with them. if you think assad's chemical weapon attacks were faked or Ukraine shot down MH17 or whatever, you can suck my dick.

edit: also the "you can suck my dick" was not directed at anyone in this thread, necessarily, but was more aimed at the set on twitter who spend hours finding reasons to argue that shellshocked syrian children are really crisis actors or what-the-gently caress-ever

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

yeah I'm definitely not arguing "cops should do a better job of protecting schools" and more saying "cops are virtually incapable of protecting people and maybe we shouldn't have them"

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

it is not an editing error, we are unsure why this is happening for some people

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

it's fine, i use you as a source on kentucky bourbon all the time

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

DC Murderverse posted:

I just heard Robert’s ad read for WoW for the first time and it sounded like he was using that patronizing tone cool kids use right before they say “PSYCH! You fuckin’ nerds WoW sucks” before giving them all wedgies

that actually bums me out. i had a hard time figuring out how to read the ad but I actually love WoW, it was a big part of my childhood and i'm happy to push it.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Neo_Crimson posted:

Seriously most of the ads are the most stereotypical "girlboss" stuff ever, to the point of parody.

Hey Robert, are there any plans to move away from iHeart Radio? If only to spare your viewers these ads.

the ads are y'know, ads, but i can honestly say iHeart is the best employer i've ever had. they're responsive whenever I need an ad pulled (like with Koch, Nancy Grace), give me total control over what (voiced) ads i accept and are extremely supportive of any project i pitch. i've never had them turn down an idea or tell me i couldn't say something. And the pay is pretty outrageous at this moment.

I know there are folks who think I could do a patreon or whatever, and I'm sure i could, but i have several issues with that:

1. I like the team I work with at iHeart (esp sophie) and no patreon I could reasonably get would pay us all living wages and healthcare

2. we are in a pandemic and economic downturn, money is very tight especially for a lot of the people who like my work. i have friends who make their living off patreon and that pool of money is not endless

3. generally crowdfunding involves backer-exclusive content, and i like that everything i put out is free to anyone who wants to listen

4. the size of their network is significant and they do a great job of amplifying my work. i think the stuff i'm putting out there is important, and because of iheart's reach I am able to reach millions of folks.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Do you think interviewing lovely people on a podcast makes you one of history’s greatest monsters? In the beginning, Robert told us he would shy away from contemporary conservative talking heads like Rogan or Shapiro because they were just dipshits and not actually evil. I was genuinely surprised that we got a JORP episode.

Edit: to clarify, I think if Robert wanted to he could pull it off, but I think he’d be better off waiting for Rogan to do something more nakedly evil than just host Candace Owens. Like Alex Jones straight harassing the parents of murdered children or JORP pushing a generation of Incels towards a theocratic ideology of fascism and govt. sponsored sexual slavery. Those are worth talking about. Rogan is still just an increasingly conservative idiot, you can watch the money poison his mind in real time.

yeah, this is more or less how i feel. peterson i think was very much worth discussing, because the stuff he was trying to push and very successfully getting into the mainstream is terrifying

rubin was, eh, probably not deserving of an episode, but it was easy to write and fun to dunk on him for an hour

properly outlining why joe rogan is dangerous would take a long time and at the end of the day he is just an irresponsible famous guy. i don't think he is actively malicious or evil, although i do think his influence is partly malicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

we're launching a new miniseries on fascist insurrections