Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
I'm just not a fan of episodes where the guest is either the worlds most sheltered child of privilege type dipshit that has never looked at a history book, or is disengaged to the level of seeming to be watching a TV show while on the podcast.

"Wait, Hitler you said his name was? Never heard of 'em. Is he the guy that made harmonicas? He did WHAT?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

This is one of the first people they have covered where I knew most of these stories and the history behind the founding of Apple. I was kinda of surprised, I was under the opinion that more people, especially those that work in tech, were aware of this history and many of anecdotes about his rear end in a top hat behavior. Then I thought some more about it and realized most people didn't rewatch Pirates of Silicon Valley every two years for a decade, and not everyone read every old Phrack newsletter just for the historical context in them. I know less about the NeXT debacle than the founding of Apple so looking forward to them covering it in later parts.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

In the latest episode, they discuss why a doctor would get rid of part of his daughter's medical records. No one seemed to be able to provide an explanation. As someone that works in health care related tech, thats easy to answer-
practically every single EMR (electronic medical records) system has interoperability nowadays. That means if you go to a clinic in majestic Bumfuck Wyoming and they say you have injuries from a spacecraft collision (this is a real diagnosis code btw) and your primary care provider later requests records from that clinic in bumfuck Wyoming that decided your sprained ankle was from a spacecraft collision then that is now a part of your main medical records. This kind of thing can be a royal pain in the rear end to get rid of from the originating clinic, and once its in your digital record it can be used to influence further clinical decisions and diagnoses down the road.
So, that daughter's fraudulent Alzheimer's diagnosis could make things like getting a referral to a therapist or other mental health related care a lot tougher and more expensive than it needs to be.

EDIT: also, they don't even have to request it for it to be accessible in your records. If an incorrect diagnosis makes it to the clearinghouse/interchange for the EMR system then you're kinda screwed

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 26, 2024