Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
I feel like this is the type of embarrassing let down that modern Tennessee is known for, but I also felt like they were going to find a way to lose to Kentucky so maybe fate will forget about us for another week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

We had people over on Saturday afternoon, so I was in the kitchen instead of watching the Gophers. One of the people at our place was a drunk Wisconsin fan, and he was reacting to the game as though the life of his first-born child was dependent on Iowa winning. It was not my preferred method for football updates.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

I really wanted Goldie to keep winning till the Big 10 title game just to see if they'd ever break into the top four.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I really wanted Goldie to keep winning till the Big 10 title game just to see if they'd ever break into the top four.

They definitely would have, probably as soon as this week. Iowa was 3rd at one point in 15 with a worse resume and there isn't really an obvious fourth team after OSU/LSU/Clemson now. They're not leaving out an undefeated P5 team this late unless there are more than 4 of them or there's a one loss team with a really crazy resume.

Unfortunately they are a fraud who crumbled before the mighty Kinnick Stadium and we will never know for sure

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

At his presser, they asked Kirby what the first thing he said to his team was post win, and he said something to the effect of "I told them how bout them fuckin' dawgs" and I thought it owned that he was just blunt about it.

Then he turned around today and was like sorry im the head of this organization blah blah blah. Own it man, don't be a wuss and step it back.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I hope oregon gets the last playoff spot

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

They definitely would have, probably as soon as this week. Iowa was 3rd at one point in 15 with a worse resume and there isn't really an obvious fourth team after OSU/LSU/Clemson now. They're not leaving out an undefeated P5 team this late unless there are more than 4 of them or there's a one loss team with a really crazy resume.

Unfortunately they are a fraud who crumbled before the mighty Kinnick Stadium and we will never know for sure

I'd go so far as to say that an undefeated P5 will never be left out of the four team playoff, unless there are 5 undefeated P5's. Even if it was, like, Syracuse and they went the entire season without playing a top 25 team, they'd still be in at 13-0.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

At his presser, they asked Kirby what the first thing he said to his team was post win, and he said something to the effect of "I told them how bout them fuckin' dawgs" and I thought it owned that he was just blunt about it.

Then he turned around today and was like sorry im the head of this organization blah blah blah. Own it man, don't be a wuss and step it back.

Yeah that’s dumb. His first statement owns and I wish coaches would just act like humans sometimes and tell the morality brigade to gently caress themselves with a short piece of rusty rebar.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

MourningView posted:

Idk ESPN seemed really certain that Bama, or Georgia would be in the 4 this week even if Goldie won.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah that’s dumb. His first statement owns and I wish coaches would just act like humans sometimes and tell the morality brigade to gently caress themselves with a short piece of rusty rebar.

Especially because I guarantee you literally everyone that pear clutched swears too. How bout them fuckin’ dawgs.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Tim Beck is like Greg Davis in that he really only has like 5 plays and 3 of them don't actually go past the line of scrimmage. Oh, everyone knows what those plays are.

Greg Davis was Herman's first mentor in the ways of offense when he was but a baby GA at Texas, and he brought in Tim Beck when he came back. I'm pretty sure that what he's doing, he's doing on purpose. I guess that most of Greg Davis' time at Texas and most of Tim Beck's time at OSU would say it can work well enough if you have overwhelming talent, even as it frustrates the poo poo out of the fans.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Sweet lord SCar is doing Muschamp dirty... loving asking for financial advice from others schools on how to afford to fire a coach :psyboom:

https://www.scnow.com/news/local/caslen-usc-ad-asked-fsu-about-how-it-managed-its/article_2fc87775-6600-58c6-b371-a9a9b8c151a3.amp.html

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Go ahead and whine about your lovely offensive coordinators, i would take them all in a heartbeat.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

That's game

Aye chihuahua

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i feel bad saying this because he is 3rd string and obviously never expected to play this season, but northwestern's quarterback is almost cartoonishly lovely and i can't believe they keep sending him out week after week to get owned.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

Sweet lord SCar is doing Muschamp dirty... loving asking for financial advice from others schools on how to afford to fire a coach :psyboom:

https://www.scnow.com/news/local/caslen-usc-ad-asked-fsu-about-how-it-managed-its/article_2fc87775-6600-58c6-b371-a9a9b8c151a3.amp.html

lol holy poo poo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tim Beck is completely unable to understand why things work or do not work within the context of a game. His reasoning is generally fine in theory but he can’t seem to understand that things which work early will not work later if done exactly the same way and in the same pattern.

At OSU, he couldn’t grasp the idea that a designed RB run that looks like a zone read might work once or twice but if you never actually call a zone read, it’s going to end up being completely ineffective. So by the second quarter they’re calling these fake zone reads still and all it’s doing is basically slowing down the RB and getting him blown up for a loss or no gain.

The loss to Michigan State in 2015 is a masterclass in lovely offensive coordinating.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

sportsgenius86 posted:

Tim Beck is completely unable to understand why things work or do not work within the context of a game. His reasoning is generally fine in theory but he can’t seem to understand that things which work early will not work later if done exactly the same way and in the same pattern.

At OSU, he couldn’t grasp the idea that a designed RB run that looks like a zone read might work once or twice but if you never actually call a zone read, it’s going to end up being completely ineffective. So by the second quarter they’re calling these fake zone reads still and all it’s doing is basically slowing down the RB and getting him blown up for a loss or no gain.

The loss to Michigan State in 2015 is a masterclass in lovely offensive coordinating.

He's also seems incapable of sustaining a rhythm/momentum. The offense will get going on a drive and the he'll start calling his lovely slow developing plays or screens and just kill a drive's rhythm.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

lol holy poo poo

They had Trustees last week when asked about Muschamp stating on the record that they didn't have the money to buy him out. Not "He's the coach and I support the coach", or deferring to the AD/Pres, or even "no comment". How's that for a vote of confidence? Have fun recruiting with that hanging over your head.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's weird to me that they can't afford it anyway but who the hell was South Carolina competing with for the services of Will loving Muschamp that made them think they needed to give him a $19 million buyout

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Neil Armbong posted:

He's also seems incapable of sustaining a rhythm/momentum. The offense will get going on a drive and the he'll start calling his lovely slow developing plays or screens and just kill a drive's rhythm.

Herman’s an offensive guy and he hears all the calls, if he was bothered by them he could jump in any time. And I mean this is Herman’s playbook. I’m not sure a new OC would change a lot, or that an OC with their own offensive philosophy would want to come or even be welcome.

Can’t hurt to Fire Tim Beck though. And defense badly needs a shake-up.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

It's weird to me that they can't afford it anyway but who the hell was South Carolina competing with for the services of Will loving Muschamp that made them think they needed to give him a $19 million buyout

The buyouts thrown around whenever a coach wins more than 7 games are insane. But there’s no money for players.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

MourningView posted:

Give them a break, they have a 100+ year history of delusion.
Also, they made their baseball coach that AD.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

The buyouts thrown around whenever a coach wins more than 7 games are insane. But there’s no money for players.

according to gamecock twitter, Clemson is already paying players ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Have any of you guys been to the college football HOF in Atlanta?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ehud posted:

Have any of you guys been to the college football HOF in Atlanta?
I tried to go last time I was in town but was under too much of a time constraint. Looks neat though. And it's nice that it's super close to the Coke Museum and the Aquarium.

Also, people still want to hire Muschamp...

https://twitter.com/NaborhoodSports/status/1196681807871250433?s=20

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Barf

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i feel bad saying this because he is 3rd string and obviously never expected to play this season, but northwestern's quarterback is almost cartoonishly lovely and i can't believe they keep sending him out week after week to get owned.

Is that the kid from Fort Wayne? I think he played with the Tranquil brothers in HS.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve been out of the country all week with little internet access. I saw that everything went well and the tide won. I’m interested to see how the rankings play out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thermos H Christ posted:

Greg Davis was Herman's first mentor in the ways of offense when he was but a baby GA at Texas, and he brought in Tim Beck when he came back. I'm pretty sure that what he's doing, he's doing on purpose. I guess that most of Greg Davis' time at Texas and most of Tim Beck's time at OSU would say it can work well enough if you have overwhelming talent, even as it frustrates the poo poo out of the fans.

remember when we needed a time expiring field goal to beat Nebraska in the B12 Championship Game because Suh watched about 7 minutes of tape and figured out our entire offense and of course we refused to change the gameplan at all so Colt might have longer than a nanosecond in the pocket?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

remember when we needed a time expiring field goal to beat Nebraska in the B12 Championship Game because Suh watched about 7 minutes of tape and figured out our entire offense and of course we refused to change the gameplan at all so Colt might have longer than a nanosecond in the pocket?

If you didn't get that 1 second back, Pelini would probably still be our coach and Tim Beck would still be at Nebraska. So who really got the last laugh? :smug:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Warbird posted:

I’ve been out of the country all week with little internet access. I saw that everything went well and the tide won. I’m interested to see how the rankings play out.

Not only did we win but tua didn't have to play an entire half and scored with the effortless grace of a young god

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hello Pep Hamilton

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Yeah one problem with the Greg Davis/Tim Beck plan of running super vanilla offense and relying on overwhelming talent to just impose it on the other team is that you can't always have an overwhelming talent advantage. See any number of OU games where we got blown the gently caress out in the midst of 10+ win Mack Brown seasons, or Tim Beck's OSU offense putting up zero points against Clemson after going 11-1 and averaging over 40 points per game in the B1G.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Raku posted:

Not only did we win but tua didn't have to play an entire half and scored with the effortless grace of a young god

Oh that’s good. Joker needs more reps and we wouldn’t want our sweet sweet Hawaiian boy to get hurt.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm glad to see all the other completely correct analyses of The Tim Beck Experience :allears:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
like for real there is this tree of the spread offense that has gotten generational talent to run it and wow it works so easily and then boom that talent isn't there and they have no idea what to do.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

like for real there is this tree of the spread offense that has gotten generational talent to run it and wow it works so easily and then boom that talent isn't there and they have no idea what to do.

The Greg Davis/Tim Beck tree?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

The Greg Davis/Tim Beck tree?

Greg Davis is his own sort of even more outdated bad, though I guess the passing game is kind of similar. Outside of the Vince Young years he wasn't really just mashing the QB up the middle over and over again. Texas' offense looks a lot like an Urban Meyer team whenever they got bogged down, but Meyer was a much better recruiter and overall program manager so he got away with it more.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Baby steps

https://twitter.com/fballdigest/status/1196852635229466624?s=19