Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't know that we actually need another one of these every week when the last one didn't even crack 10 pages but I will take this opportunity to once again gloat about AJ Epenesa dunking the fraudulent Gophers in a toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

the worst team in college football .

give Akron the respect they deserve, dammit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I cannot disparage Akron

I swear I had completely forgotten that happened lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/DBorwig316/status/1195832984710066176?s=19

Iowa started doing this on opponent field goal attempts last night and the Gopher kicker missed a FG and an extra point long live the stink eye hawk

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

D.N. Nation posted:

On paper, the only weakness UGA's offense should have is that the 5-star stud WRs are mostly young. And that's it. Everything else is good or awesome. And yet, UGA's offensive "output" against P5 teams this season:

30, 23, 36 17, 21, 24, 27, 21. (And somehow, four of those are multi-score wins!)

e: More nonsense. UGA had 14 drives yesterday. 10 of them went for less than 10 yards. One went for 16 yards. The other three...ended in relatively easy TDs. Those three scoring drives accounted for 230 yards. Georgia had 250 yards total. What in the hell is James Coley doing. How is he doing it. I'm so confused.

Kirby is doing the thing that almost every former DC not named Bob Stoops does when they get a head coaching job, and running an offense that is about making life easier for the defense (avoiding turnovers, chewing clock, playing field position) first and scoring points second. For some reason they just can't turn the defensive coordinator part of their brain off. Even Saban did it forever and probably still wants to do it deep down (just look at the years of whining that spread and hurry up should be illegal) he was just smart enough to figure out that he was putting himself at a disadvantage and now they basically are running a Big 12 offense. There's just no excuse for a team that has championship level talent like UGA to be playing like that

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 18, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Auburn seems pretty good for a team with a freshman QB. They have a win over a possible playoff team and all their losses have been close games to good teams

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I really wanted Goldie to keep winning till the Big 10 title game just to see if they'd ever break into the top four.

They definitely would have, probably as soon as this week. Iowa was 3rd at one point in 15 with a worse resume and there isn't really an obvious fourth team after OSU/LSU/Clemson now. They're not leaving out an undefeated P5 team this late unless there are more than 4 of them or there's a one loss team with a really crazy resume.

Unfortunately they are a fraud who crumbled before the mighty Kinnick Stadium and we will never know for sure

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's weird to me that they can't afford it anyway but who the hell was South Carolina competing with for the services of Will loving Muschamp that made them think they needed to give him a $19 million buyout

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

The Greg Davis/Tim Beck tree?

Greg Davis is his own sort of even more outdated bad, though I guess the passing game is kind of similar. Outside of the Vince Young years he wasn't really just mashing the QB up the middle over and over again. Texas' offense looks a lot like an Urban Meyer team whenever they got bogged down, but Meyer was a much better recruiter and overall program manager so he got away with it more.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 19, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I know part of the turnaround for Illinois is they started playing some really terrible teams, but Lovie did something to switch that team around. They went from losing to EMU and Nebraska to beating Wisconsin, Purdue, and MSU. Probably have one more win in them against NU too. I doubt many people expected the Illini to finish with a winning record this year.

In other news, Iowa State is 22nd in the CFP poll, which I appreciate, but I think is undeserved right now.

They started getting a hilarious number of defensive TDs, it's very Lovie Smith.

I don't know what it says that a bunch of third stringers from a 5 win USC team are going to help provide the best Illinois season in a decade but it seems bad for someone

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Mediocre offenses have won titles. 2002 Ohio State. 2006 Florida. It isn’t unprecedented by any means..

2002 is a really long time ago, when the spread was still mostly a novelty. There's a reason teams like OSU or Bama aren't still trying to play like that. The game has changed dramatically since then.

2006 Florida was 11th in offensive S&P+. Georgia is 22nd. That's inexcusable for a team that has top 2-3 talent.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 20, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scarf posted:

Anti OSU Tard Brigade has been pretty quiet this season... We firin up the truck for this game?

Against Penn State? Gross. Wait for the Big Ten title game when they rematch with Wisconsin or play Minnesota (both games they will absolutely win by like 40 points)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Urbs is one of the two best program builders in the sport and also had some kind of outdated ideas about offensive playcalling that held them back occasionally. He's the reason they have the talent level they do though, and it's still TBD if Day can maintain that. They would not look as good as they do this year without Meyer putting together a top 2-3 recruiting class year after year, and that's harder to do in the Big Ten now than it's ever been (though Ohio is obviously by far the easiest Big Ten state to do it in)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 21, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Georgia Tech is...slightly less bad than I thought they'd be? But yeah NC State is awful this year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Holy poo poo, I just found out that Matt Campbell is the first ISU coach since 1928 to beat every team in the conference at least once.

I mean they've only beaten OU like five times ever

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Texas isn’t that much better, but we’ve played them a lot less than OU.

Yeah some of it is also that they haven't been in the same conference as most of the schools for that long relatively speaking and they were like literally the worst power conference team in the country when the Big 12 formed

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I guess I'm not sure how losing to Georgia by one score is evidence that A&M is a terrible football team? They seem fine, all of their losses are going to be to like top 15 teams, and all but Auburn will probably be teams in the playoff or NY6. They had an insane schedule between the SEC west, a crossover game with UGA, and the Clemson game. They're gonna beat the dogshit out of some poor Big Ten team in the gator bowl or whatever

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 24, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
what exactly are they going to do, drop football?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Get the gently caress out of the SEC West

how

It's not like they were winning the Big 12 every year or something, they were generally worse back then than they are now. Maybe they can join conference USA, they'd probably win that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Maybe if they ask very nicely Vanderbilt will switch divisions with them, have they tried that yet?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

I’m going to push back and say they are a fine team but if Georgia could actually have any sort of offense with a pulse it’s a bit different. We dropped 2 touchdown passes. I know that at the end the score is the score but I think if IGA played to their actual potential as opposed to whatever it is James coley thinks our potential is, it would have been a different game.

I don't think losing by two scores to Hypothetical Good Offense Having Georgia is bad either, Georgia is like the fourth most talented team in the country at the absolute worst

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a bout of realignment coming up again in a few years? Kinda seems like it'd be best for everyone if they just go back to the Big XII (along with Mizzou)

They aren't going to win the Big 12 either and they make more money now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cthulu Carl posted:

LOL, UC is gonna win against Temple because the Bearcats blocked an extra point attempt and ran it back for 2.

They have been trying extremely hard to lose the last month or so

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They probably need OU to lose again but yeah if Utah wins out they should have a good shot.

I see I slept through a wild one with Wazzu/Oregon State. I keep forgetting that Oregon State is actually kinda fun this year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I suspect reading about them they're a lot of fun while not being very good, but you can't expect that out of them.

Damned if I've watched a single play though.

I watched their last one against ASU and they're doing some fun stuff. Smith should definitely be conference coach of the year for getting them even close to a bowl.