Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I had a pretty strong feeling that if I watched Texas-ISU it was just going to bum me out, and after the first few minutes I felt more sure so I went and did something else and I'm thinking that was the right call.

Anyway I'm pretty sure Tom Herman's on the hot seat next year. I guess 8 wins including a bowl game is still realistically on the table, in which case the seat is just kinda hot, but if we finish with 6 or 7 wins it's going to be blazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Tim Beck is like Greg Davis in that he really only has like 5 plays and 3 of them don't actually go past the line of scrimmage. Oh, everyone knows what those plays are.

Greg Davis was Herman's first mentor in the ways of offense when he was but a baby GA at Texas, and he brought in Tim Beck when he came back. I'm pretty sure that what he's doing, he's doing on purpose. I guess that most of Greg Davis' time at Texas and most of Tim Beck's time at OSU would say it can work well enough if you have overwhelming talent, even as it frustrates the poo poo out of the fans.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Neil Armbong posted:

He's also seems incapable of sustaining a rhythm/momentum. The offense will get going on a drive and the he'll start calling his lovely slow developing plays or screens and just kill a drive's rhythm.

Herman’s an offensive guy and he hears all the calls, if he was bothered by them he could jump in any time. And I mean this is Herman’s playbook. I’m not sure a new OC would change a lot, or that an OC with their own offensive philosophy would want to come or even be welcome.

Can’t hurt to Fire Tim Beck though. And defense badly needs a shake-up.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Proud Christian Mom posted:

remember when we needed a time expiring field goal to beat Nebraska in the B12 Championship Game because Suh watched about 7 minutes of tape and figured out our entire offense and of course we refused to change the gameplan at all so Colt might have longer than a nanosecond in the pocket?

Yeah one problem with the Greg Davis/Tim Beck plan of running super vanilla offense and relying on overwhelming talent to just impose it on the other team is that you can't always have an overwhelming talent advantage. See any number of OU games where we got blown the gently caress out in the midst of 10+ win Mack Brown seasons, or Tim Beck's OSU offense putting up zero points against Clemson after going 11-1 and averaging over 40 points per game in the B1G.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I’ve decided I like it much better when we suck unfathomable quantities of rear end at the start of the season and then kind of get it together by the end than the other way around.